Catsailor.com

Jib crossbar fell off

Posted By: Barry13

Jib crossbar fell off - 12/07/13 08:59 PM

I just trailered my new to me Wave a little over 200 miles. When we arrived, the crossbar that you would attach the jib to was off. Luckily, for some reason, I had attached the trailer winch to it, so it was still with the boat and had not banged anything up. Attaching the winch may be the cause?
It goes back on and back off easily. There were some hard rubber spacers on it before. My question is, how do I know if the hulls spread or if I just need to find some new spacers to hold this bar in place. I had the boat tied down to the trailer by the crossbars, not the hulls.
Thanks
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Jib crossbar fell off - 12/10/13 12:19 PM

On each end of the tube should be black inserts with holes large enough to fit to the part that sticks out of the piece on the bow.

Re: Jib crossbar fell off - 12/19/13 02:49 AM

Thanks Rick. I do have the inserts, but unless I pull each of them out of the tube at least half way, the tube will fall off. I fear that the hulls have separated at the bow end. In other words, the bows may no longer be parallel, but wider at the bow end compared to the stern end. Why else would the bar have fallen off? How can you tell if the front crossbar is seated all the way into each hull? How do I keep the "jib bar" from falling off? Should I pull the inserts out far enough to keep the bar on and caulk them there?
Posted By: Robbie

Re: Jib crossbar fell off - 12/19/13 05:31 PM

Tighten the tramp, should bring the bows together and keep the bar in the bow spreader tang(this is the S/S piece that screwed to the front of the bow, and has the rod pointing out to hold the bow spreader bar). Let us now if this corrects the problem?
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Jib crossbar fell off - 12/19/13 07:50 PM

My son Dave had a boat with the bow wider than the stern. He changed the inside stoppers for the front beam and drew the hulls more inward. BOat is still sailing well.
RIck

Re: Jib crossbar fell off - 12/21/13 04:28 AM

Thanks guys! Gives me two things to try and a better understanding of the boat. So simple, but it was eluding me.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums