Hi Alec, I was surprised I couldn't contact velocitek also, suspected my email where getting caught in a spam filter.

I am using the exact rechargeable batteries you mentioned. Without the foam to support the batteries they can dislodge easily. It is simple to replicate the fault by shaking the unit. The batteries can also be heard rattling round in the case so it is fairly obvious the brief loss of power when a battery dislodges is caused by them not being secured. The foam originally fitted was a good idea but it gripped the batteries and the final twist on tightening opened the battery contact. I used foam with a slippery coating and have almost eliminated the fault to one or two resets per race but the batteries last so long I decided it was easier to tape them in.

After some closer inspection I've decided the springs which make the contacts to the battery dont have enough tension, I have compared them to other devices designed for a rough environment and the tension would be in the region of 50% or less. Probably you were limited in your choices by what would stand up to a marine environment so I can understand how this can happen in the first few units that are sold ( I have number 68 ).

Apart from the minor problems ( with the speedpuck ) that my unit has it is a very useful gps, thoroughly waterproof, easy to use and the tie on mounting plate with velcro is a great way for me use it on all the boats I sail.

Darryn
Mosquito

Last edited by Darryn; 02/19/09 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar etc