I'd like something akin to the 18 class wherein I can buy a boat that should last and be reasonably competitive for 10 years or so.

I don't have the time or money for an arms race, so I'm willing to give up cutting edge "fastest boat on the planet" thinking

I liked the N20 becuase fat dudes could go fast in light air, the boats lasted practically forever, held their resale value, was easy to transport (no assembly), the platform worked in both buoys and distance, and you could sail it as easy or as complicated as you want (good controls) which helped newbies get into the class.

It seemed that (within reason) the better sailors won, regardless of which boat they happened to be on. JC would repeatedly smoke Ding regardless of how many new sails he bought...

The big bonus at the time was an active fleet in my region which made everything reasonable (cost, travel time, competition).

But nostalgia may be clouding my thoughts on this....

Most of the rock stars own and sail many classes of boats, and I can't imagine even their pockets are deep enough for another costly, narrow-performance band platform.

And how many owners of expensive, high-tech and possibly fragile rockets would be willing to take on newbie crew/drivers? How would you build the class if you can't get newbies up to speed?

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 09/30/11 09:04 AM.

Jay