For anyone toying with the idea of sailmaking:
I had Bert Rice Jr design a new spin for me last year. I was interested in trying to tape together my own spin and had good luck in the past with Schurr sails in Pensacola designing kits for me. I put it together relatively easily but when I pulled it up on my boat in the back yard I was worried that it wouldn't work and since my old spin was seriously blown, and seeing that it takes several months to get a new spin made professionally I got a new spin made by Glaser over the winter. Once I used the 2 sails though, I realized that although the sail Bert designed had a different fit, it is sweet. I actually prefer it over the Glaser. Not that the Glaser is bad by any means, and if I ever get a sail professionally made I will ALWAYS use them for my F16. Maybe it is just me liking my creation (should say "our") but it is fast and I actually beat 13 boats last weekend (including 7 F18s) using it.
Moral of the story: you can put together a spin easily without an industrial sewing machine (I used one, but wasn't necessary)and it can be FAST!!!
Next up is a new main!
Now if I could only sail the boat in more than 2 regattas a year!!!