Jay, I don't have children, at least none have come looking for me yet, but if I did I would definitely steer them into sailing and nudge them into performance sailing. Today that means foiling or boarding (or iceboating up here but you still have to sail in the summer) and since I am too old to learn kite sailing that means foiling. The F101's design brief sounds just right to me. I met some other older sailors at Newport last September who were: 1) way more optimistic than me, 2) less patient than me, 3) dumb as rocks, or 4) something else because they purchased a Moth so that they could go foiling. They were at Foiling Week because that went so badly for them but they still wanted to go foiling. I had sailed a 29er maybe 10 years ago and that was enough acrobatic sailing for me to already know that I should not even attempt the Moth so I had an advantage in making that decision.

Long-winded way of explaining that I think you are not a bad parent and I would likely do the same. I might encourage kite sailing once they were older kids since that can be done on soft and hard water, snow, and on the hard and all the gear can be transported in the trunk or the rooftop. But then they would still have to get a foil board so they would foil either way!

Last edited by Mike Fahle; 07/04/17 05:08 PM.