Originally Posted by hobie1616
My problem started at 50. For some reason, I thought that was an appropriate time to give my weights to Goodwill and grow old gracefully. What a crock that turned out to be! I can barely see my f***n' toes!
I think "growing old gracefully" equates to going to seed. Hitting middle age means a lot of physiological changes including slowing metabolism. That�s where Eat Less, Move More kicks in.

Of course, the down side of all the exercise is orthopedic surgeons everywhere licking their lips envisioning for all the money they�ll make from baby boomer joint replacements. Ya just can�t win!!

I was looking for the Target Heart Rate Calculator and found this. I must have known it was coming. I had one replaced six weeks ago and will probably wait until next year for the other.

If anyone's contemplating a full joint replacement, get in shape before the surgery.

At a minimum, walk a few miles every day. That will help with healing and flexibility. The two goals are straightening your leg to zero degrees and getting your heal to your butt.

Work on upper body strength. The worst is trying to get up off the toilet. You'll need something to pull on or set up a system with your main blocks.

Find out what the post surgery exercises are before surgery and start doing them right after surgery. They hurt like hell but you'll be glad you did.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach