After extensive research on charge controllers I have found that they operate differently for wind generators than they do for solar arrays.

For solar arrays:
When a charge controller is used with a solar array, it is in the charge path and will"disconnect" the solar array from the batteries when the batteries are full. Apparently this stops current flow without damage to the array.

For wind generator:
Wind generators must always have a load (batteries or dummy) to push their power to so diversion control is needed. It is my understanding is that when used in diversion control mode, the charge controller is NOT in the charge path but monitors the batteries in a shunt fashion. When the batteries are full, the controller siphons power off the batteries to prevent overcharging.

What I am looking for is a charge controller that will actually brake the wind generator when the batteries are full. I have heard of these but have not found one yet.

I recently purchased a Xantrex C60 for my KISS wind generator but don't savor the idea of running additional wires to a dummy load or to the water heater. I am not comfortable with a big resistor heating up on my boat nor do I like the idea of running additional wires back to the heater option.

Any feedback you can give on other make/models would be greatly appreciated.