There were actually a few Dutch sailors at the Taipan Nationals this year. I overheard one of them commenting on both the 4.9's and 5.7's. Comment on the 5.7's, that were beaten by the F18's, is that the sail plan is outdated. The spinnaker cut used on these is still pre 2000. Which means rather full and with a long foot. Also the 5.7's were sailing with class legal sails, meaning very small squaretops. The overlapping jib doesn't help on a spi boat; selftackers are better. Also the skill of the 5.7 sailors in these racers there was not considered by this sailor to be of the same level as the F18's. Comment on the 4.9's was that the skill level there was impressive and that they had trouble getting away from the 4.9 while these were sailing without a spi that the 5.7's were using.

This sailors also said that with a new sail wardrobe the 5.7's would probably be a monster speedwise in light to medium air. From other comments I gether that teh 5.7 becomes a handful in strong weather. The newer large squaretop sails with a straight leech may help out here.

As always the path to succes was for the 5.7 class to renew herself. However, fear gripped the class and any chance was frowned upon and actively discourage. One-designess would garantee survival, it was thought. Reality showed that it didn't.

It is hard to say but T5.7 OD class is dead, without a change to revive. So forget about the OD rules and modify that sweetheart in all she can be and it will be a real killer in her new cloths. Tornado's and I-20's should be easy meat in anything but the really rought weather.

Don't look at the US portsmouth numbers, these things are all-over the place when it comes to rare boats. T5.7 especially has never been raced seriously in the US so its ratings are completely undependable. Look for the Australian VYC ratings to get a feel for what is can do. But with new stuff and new suit of modern sails it should be able to do several % better again.

Jimi, hope over to the Formula 16 forum and learn what you can there. The Taipan 4.9's and 5.7's are rather similar in setup and how they should be sailed. The mods to the Taipans to make the full F16's will largely have the same effects on a T5.7

10 ft beam would make the 5.7 do well in strong winds but at some hit in the light stuff as she is a boat that is said to benefit alot from doing the wildthing (getting luff hull out of the water at all times)

15 kg for a carbon mast that length sounds about right for a low estimate. The 10 mtr F18HT mast is supposed to be 18 kg's same and is the same as the I-20 masts. Tornado carbon is 15.5 kg if I remember it right.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands