I do agree with you Wouter that the sail robe for the T5.7 is outdated.

OF course as Steve says the current 5.7 rig is close in pace but it must be seen as in the light of the difference of a 1998 Tiger rig with respect to a 2004 Tiger rig. The 2004 Tiger rig with the STX mainsail (very large head) is just quicker. Same with the 5.7 standard rig. It was very good and good for the 90's but not for the 00's. F18 class has really stimulated alot of development in this area. The 5.7. should benefit from it.

As far as the spi goes, would it not be necessary to change the whole rig in order to make it flatter and more "narrow" without loosing overall area?

With respect to the spi :

Don't work yourself up over the total area. This is unimportant. Important things are the modern cut and the luff length. Optimize these two without any regard for the total area. So if the modern cut can only be 20 sq. mtr. in the given setup than go for that. There is no point in trying to sqeeze 25 sq. mtr. in and thus compromise on the cut.

If you just shortened the foot, the whole spi would be smaller. I noticed that the new Hobie Tigers, even with almost a meter or so shorter mast, has the head spi point attached higher than the T5.7.

Can you mearure the height of your spi gate with respect to the bottom of your mast for us. The same with the hound fitting and the overall length of the mast ?

I think you can put the mast gate higher on the T5.7 than it is now. We did the same with the Taipan 4.9's and have no problems. The mast is holding up well under the F16 spi. So I feel a similar thing can be done on the T5.7

the T5.7's spi is too full and seems out-dated. So how make it more modern and flatter without changing the entire rig?

What is he sheeting point of your current spi ? Both along the hull and perpendicular to the centreline ?

Some mods can be in order here as well.

So how make it more modern and flatter without changing the entire rig?

That is easy. You will have to buy a new spi but apart from that the mods are both easy to do and inexpensive.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands