Strangely enough I found that the best training for sailing is actually sailing itself. It builds up just the muscles you'll need.

Wouter took the words right out of my mouth! And single-handed spinnaker sailing is more workout than any job on a double-handed spinnaker boat. On a double-handed spinnaker boat, the crew job is way more workout than skipper!

This weekend, the Alum Creek Regatta in Columbus, Ohio was a great workout! We had two fleets, High Portsmouth (mostly M4.3s with a mix of H16s, H17 and TheMightyHobie18) and Low Portsmouth (eight F17s and a N20), on a relatively small race course. They ran eight races on Saturday and three races on Sunday. Most races were twice around and lasted about 20 minutes for the Low Portsmouth fleet. We got lots of starts, tacks, gybes, spinnaker sets and takedowns, and lots of neck work looking around for other boats! All the muscles that need to be in shape for the sailing season got a workout this weekend and I am feeling it today! Tomorrow will be better! It couldn't have been a better way to get in shape for the siling season .

Les Gallagher