I'm doing a basic survival mode of "workout". Up to 60 crunches now every morning, five days a week (weekends are for sailing). Having read all the statistics of around 50 year old US males, back injuries are way up the list. That would obviously end the sailing career. Doesn't take long and can do almost anywhere, has become routine (that's the trick, make it routine)

Thanks everyone for the tips of other activities to add.

I'm not sure which addiction ranks higher with me, ice cream or sailing

Good core excercises are a great protection against back injuries. It is also a great way to recover from them fully. Don't give up doing what you love if your back starts to hurt.
I broke my back in a real 'agony of defeat' moment rollerblading six years ago. I had an L5 fracture but the biggest problem was the grade four herniation at L5-S1. I had two back surgeries. At the worst, I couldn't walk without limping because I had lost a lot of strength and sensation in my right leg. Then I put my stubborn determination to good use. I set out to recover by doing lots of core excercises starting slow and then building on it. I mountain biked to get strength and coordination back. I had trained for marathons before, nothing was as hard as this. Sometimes it really hurt. Now, I don't hurt at all and the only residual I have is a bit of numbness in my right leg. I can do anything I want to without pain. Now that I feel strong I maintain with 100 crunchs a day (down from 200), mountain biking 3-5 times a week and upper body strength training every other day.

The suggestions I have read about eat less / move more are right on. An irritating side effect (now at my desired weight) is that my metabolism is really high. I can barely stand a sheet on me at night because I get too hot. I lose weight easily if I don't eat enough calories. At 5"7" I try to stay around 130.

I know that if I let myself get soft my risk for reinjury is great. I remember what that felt like and have no intention to let it happen again. Pain is a good motivator.

Never give up.