07/27/01 08:16 AM
07/27/01 08:16 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline OP
veteran
Keith  Offline OP
veteran

Annapolis,MD
I noticed in the International Hobie class rules that for the Hobie-18 you are allowed to locate the cleats for the jib sheets in locations other than the stock on the block set up (as long as it does not interfere with other stock gear or compromise integrity of the boat). I'd like to do this, because most of the cussing from my crew relates to cleating/uncleating the jib due to sheeting angles, especially when we have our weight forward in light air. And, being lazy, I don't feel like adjusting the angle of the cam cleats on the blocks everytime I go sailing. Questions are: 1) Is this class legal in the U.S.? Probably a silly question, but there it is anyway. 2) Has anybody done this, and what locations were tried with what results? 3) Am I missing an easier solution to this? I've got quite a few years on this boat, the easy way out hasn't occurred to me yet.
<br>
<br>My current idea for this is to remove the cleats from the blocks, and mount two rotating cam cleats (like the one used for the traveler updated with a roller feed instead of the plastic eye-hole) on the forward crossbeam just inside of the hulls (or maybe further in). They could then be used easily from the foredeck, and should function fine from other positions as well. The other idea is to mount two standard cam cleats on the crossbar for forward work, and one on each hull for windward sheeting access. Out of the two, I think I like the rotating idea better but I'm undecided and I don't want to drill holes until I have a clear idea.
<br>
<br>Any thoughts on this one?<br><br>Keith Chapman, Annapolis, Md.
<br>H-18
<br>Northstar 500 (monoslug)
<br>WRCRA - www.wrcra.org

Attached Files
1090- (25 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Changing Hobie-18 Jib Cleat Location [Re: Keith] #1151
07/27/01 06:33 PM
07/27/01 06:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keith,
<br>
<br>Forget moving the jib cam cleats, just replace the jib blocks with Ochsen self holding blocks. I think they're still available at Murray's. That's what most of us did when we were racing 18's back in the late 80's. I still have them on my 18, and used to have them on my 20. (When I had a 20, which I don't anymore.) With the Ochsen blocks, (sometimes called Oxen blocks) it doesn't matter where you are on the boat, just pull the sheet in an inch or two and it releases. Pull it in again and they hold. They work kind of like a window shade. My wife won't sail on a boat that doesn't have them, at least not willingly. They will slip a little in very light air, but you just get the crew to hand hold the sheet in those conditions. The rest of the time, they work great. Hope this helps.<br><br>

Re: Changing Hobie-18 Jib Cleat Location #1152
07/27/01 07:05 PM
07/27/01 07:05 PM
Flagstaff, Arizona
Dennis Offline
journeyman
Dennis  Offline
journeyman

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm not familiar with the TheMightyHobie18 jib block location, but I can tell you what works well on my P19. It may be easily adapted for you. The blocks are left in the stock location, which on a P19 is a 4-way adjustable in the middle of the tramp. The cleats are removed from the blocks and mounted to the shroud chainplates with no fairlead or bail. When the boat is set up, tighten the jib, cleat into the open cleat on the shroud, and relax. In light air, there are 2 other blocks on the boom for the same purpose. <br><br>

Re: Changing Hobie-18 Jib Cleat Location #1153
07/29/01 06:28 PM
07/29/01 06:28 PM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

I've heard from Rick that these things are the source of many blown tacks. How many times have you jerked on a window shade, only to have it not make the shade go up, then you jerk on it again, and it flys up so fast it practically rips in half.
<br>
<br>Sometimes when the crew gets forward too far, the skipper needs to help the crew out by uncleating the jib for them. Besides, I think the Oxen blocks are hideously expensive.
<br>
<br>Fair winds,
<br>
<br>Tim Johnson<br><br>Hobie 20 #541
<br>Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52
<br>White Bear Lake, MN

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org
Re: Changing Hobie-18 Jib Cleat Location [Re: hobie541] #1154
07/31/01 06:20 PM
07/31/01 06:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No doubt, Rick should be considered an expert on the Hobie 18. He was sailing one back in the 18's heyday also. I've raced against Rick and Mary on 18's both in Florida and at Division 10 regattas. But I'll bet if you asked him, even Rick would agree that there have been thousands, maybe millions more blown tacks caused by the inability to uncleat the stock Seaway jib blocks than by an Ochsen block jamming. In ten years of using Ochsen blocks, I've had two failures, one where the block jammed and wouldn't release, and one where it wouldn't lock. We were able to get the blocks repaired both times. Shoot, before we started using Ochsens, we used to blow about two tacks a race.
<br>Yes, they are expensive. But what isn't, anymore?<br><br>

Attached Files
1253- (28 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 603 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022