11/05/02 04:14 PM
11/05/02 04:14 PM
vero beach, florida
Czechm8ate Offline OP
stranger
Czechm8ate  Offline OP
stranger

vero beach, florida
Hi, it is me again. Another quick question...What type of registration and/or costs are involved for my newly acquired Hobie 16 to be legal in Indian River County?

vero catman
--Advertisement--
Re: hobie registration [Re: Czechm8ate] #12627
11/06/02 10:26 AM
11/06/02 10:26 AM
Key Largo
SeaWolf Offline
stranger
SeaWolf  Offline
stranger

Key Largo
It is my understanding that the Hobie 16 requires no registration or numbering system unless equipped with an engine. Check with your local Marine Patrol for exact info and specifics concerning what equipment you are required by law to have aboard when underway.
I sail with an anchor and adequate line (which doubles as a tow line when needed), appropriate PFDs for myself and/or crew, a small collapsible ice chest(six-pac cooler) which always has water and a small array of tools and spare parts, chart & sailtape, a paddle, two whistles, lightweight foul weather gear for the cold days, small waterproof hand bearing compass (this is tied to the boom where it is handy from anywhere aboard), and I generally inform someone of my intended flight plan and/or carry a cellphone in a watertight pouch. This may seem ridiculous to you at first.... but as you become more familiar and experienced you will find yourself going further and further from the beginners close-in & hug the shore tactic.... and often the winds will have you chasing off in spontaneous different directions for the fun of it.
All the gear listed above is easily secured and not at all in the way.... most sailors need to look closely to find it all. I sail frequently after dark and carry a waterproof flashlight (small) and have secured to the forward portion of the boom a small bike-light (red) which has constant and flashing mode options. This light sets the entire tramp area aglow and makes the boat very visible from a considerable distance, yet does not inhibit night vision.

Learn to right your Hobie by intentionally flipping it near shore several times before venturing off the beaten path.

Learn to reef and raise and lower both main & jib while sailing. Practice sailing with main only and jib only.

Have fun with your new toy..... but always remember not to treat it as one.

If you have a trailer for your boat and are ever in the mood to sail in the Key Largo area..... let me know.
The winds are great down here and the sailing is extremely diverse, especially on Florida Bay.

SeaWolf
~~~~~~~

Attached Files
12749-B\'nana Split.jpg (524 downloads)
Re: hobie registration [Re: SeaWolf] #12628
11/08/02 08:23 PM
11/08/02 08:23 PM
vero beach, florida
Czechm8ate Offline OP
stranger
Czechm8ate  Offline OP
stranger

vero beach, florida
hey...thanx for your response to my post. you have no idea how much that information soaked into my head. Al seems like very practical but yet sometimes overlooked info that is always nice to get a refresher in. thanks again. Redoing the hulls as we speak and cannot wait 'til i get out on the Indian River and try my thing at sailing!
Sunny and 80ish with a nice breeze today here in Vero. What a day to be sailing!

vero catman
Re: hobie registration [Re: Czechm8ate] #12629
11/09/02 08:59 AM
11/09/02 08:59 AM
Key Largo
SeaWolf Offline
stranger
SeaWolf  Offline
stranger

Key Largo
Yep~ You're welcome. One thing I neglected to mention: the choice of com-system ie: PCS vs VHF, is one of personal choice, yet should be considered relative to your specific needs and location. Also~ I sometimes bring along a Garmin 48 on longer runs and at night, and find it great fun to calculate speed with this handy device!
It is 79 down here in Key Largo and I am headed out for the morning on the Bay with calm breezes for testing of the repairs and modifications to batten pockets.

SeaWolf
~~~~~~~

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 699 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022