Reply to Negative posts on the old forum #12770
11/07/02 02:48 PM
11/07/02 02:48 PM
Bob_Curry Offline OP
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline OP
old hand

All,
I feel in some way that I had to come to my own rescue concerning my decision to purchase/race/have fun on a Hobie 14. Life is getting too complicated and I have returned to a much simpler style of boat! Enjoy the post. Bob

I bought the 14 to have fun, race a bit on P/N, and race CLASS mostly down in central FL and to sail in next years' class national championship. After watching a lot of my old friends sailing them at the Mega, I got the itch to get one! As Cheryl Johnson said, "It's like being/sailing with an old friend". I couldn't agree more!! I've had an absolute blast hiking out and surfing waves again. Clive Mayo once said it was the pitbull of catamarans meaning if you could tame it, you could sail anything. So what if it has a 86.9 rating. It's a FUN and SIMPLE boat! Apparently, there is a MUCH bigger picture at work here than some can imagine!

Bob

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Reply to Negative posts on the old forum [Re: Bob_Curry] #12771
11/07/02 03:28 PM
11/07/02 03:28 PM
reidqa Offline
journeyman
reidqa  Offline
journeyman

Bob,

Great post, back to simpler days of enjoyment.

The "14" cat is much like driving a 1955 Chevy, it heavy powerful and yet refeshing. It's glorious fun without all the hype, just plain old fun.

The days of complication are growing whether Hobies or the latest hype "high definition TV".

I give simpler 2 thumbs up, especially when dealer is swooning myslef into puchasing big bucks and bad talkng a "14".

Mike

Re: Reply to Negative posts on the old forum [Re: Bob_Curry] #12772
11/07/02 04:15 PM
11/07/02 04:15 PM
Key Largo, FL
MaryAWells Offline
enthusiast
MaryAWells  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo, FL
Hey, Bob, I think it's great that a top sailor is willing to go back to simple and fun, whether temporary or permanent. It would be great if all the high-tech guys would take a sabbatical once in a while from the speed seek and get back to basics. If Carlton Tucker were still alive, he would be right there with you, because he told me the 14 was his all-time favorite boat. I'm proud of Rick for racing the Hobie Wave as much as he does and helping to get that class going (even if he does soup it up for Portsmouth races by putting on the reacher -- he just can't help it).

I was very upset when, a few years back, someone at Hobie Cat Company told me that they destroyed the molds for the Hobie 14 a long time ago. I just had a feeling that it was going to come back in style someday -- like platform shoes and hiphugger jeans. They told me nobody would want to buy Hobie 14s because it costs almost as much to build a 14 as a 16. But now that there is such a demand for singlehanders and for youth boats, who knows?

Just a question: As I recall, the Hobie 14 was built to fit into the A-class specs. Are there any sailing conditions where a 14 might be able to actually beat a full-spec A-class, boat for boat? Like a distance race that is all reaching? Probably a ridiculous question, but I wonder about a lot of ridiculous things. (On the other hand, probably not many sailors of the modern A-class boats like surfing into a beach and sliding across a hundred feet of sand. Different boats for different purposes.)

And, by the way, if there is a fleet of 14's racing in Central Florida, there also has been good turnout by the Hobie Waves in Florida, and it seems as though they would both like the same kind of course, so maybe they should start together (not scored together). The Wave course is set up for a fairly long reaching leg, which I would think would be perfect for the 14, too, and the Wave course is designed so the other boats don't have to wait for the slower boats to finish, so they don't get mad at us.

Mary A. Wells
What'swrong with small and simple? Nothing! [Re: Bob_Curry] #12773
11/07/02 04:35 PM
11/07/02 04:35 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Tell ya what, Bob. I am having more fun sailing the Wave than almost any boat I have ever sailed. Small is NOT bad!
In racing the Wave I know there is no way anyone can cheat and it shows on the race course -- with all the boats finishing within seconds most of the time.
With the high-tech boats there is always one more thing that someone buys or discovers that you have to buy to stay even. -- Not so with the Wave.

Sail Simple, Have Fun!
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Reply to Negative posts on the old forum [Re: Bob_Curry] #12774
11/07/02 04:40 PM
11/07/02 04:40 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Hey Bob -

Enjoyed seeing you last weekend - thanks for the tips.

I didn't think any of the posts were negative - just the usual anonymous blather that pops up behind any regatta results that get posted. Hell, it could be one guy arguing with himself for all we know. I hope you didn't take any of it seriously... I'm glad you're back on the water.

Be the duck, Bob... let it roll right off your back.

Pleasepleaseplease come to Area Ds!

J

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Reply to Negative posts on the old forum [Re: MaryAWells] #12775
11/07/02 04:50 PM
11/07/02 04:50 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
14's are great! I've always felt that the 14 should the multihull world's Laser. It's a bit of a shame it's
out of vogue, but I know of a Fleet in our area that races them in a series with race every other week.

I just got one from one of our Fleet members. It's a bit worn but still fun for what little I've used it so far,
and it was like returning to an old friend even though I used it to race against my old 14!
Maybe it's time for a 14 revival! Very short-sighted if Hobie destroyed the molds...

Hobie 14 in Europe [Re: MaryAWells] #12776
11/07/02 05:50 PM
11/07/02 05:50 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Dermot Offline
old hand
Dermot  Offline
old hand

Dublin, Ireland
The Hobie 14 is still available from Hobie Europe.
There are three versions available LE, Classic and Turbo.
Maybe someone should order a container full.
Dermot.

Dermot
Catapult 265

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 682 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022