06/24/08 02:17 PM
06/24/08 02:17 PM
M
mike4xin Offline OP
stranger
mike4xin  Offline OP
stranger
M

I have read all sorts of Hobie vs Nacra or Hobie vs Prindle, but what about 5.2 vs Prindle 16? I am looking at buying my first cat, and have a choice to make. Also, please address all positives and negatives of each boat. I plan on doing some single handling, mainly sailing with the girlfriend as crew, and want the ability to take friends out. What about a comparison of speed for the three boats? Thank you...

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra 5.2 vs. Prindle 16 [Re: mike4xin] #146601
06/24/08 02:49 PM
06/24/08 02:49 PM
T
TurboCat Offline
TurboCat  Offline
T

I will only state the obvious since my lunch break is almost over and my boss read's the forum. Nac5.2 has daggerboard and the Prindle and Hobie do not. Generally a boat with boards doesnt have as much free space on the deck to sit. The 5.2 will also have more adjustment than a Hobie or Prindle because it's equipped with a mast rotation control. The 5.2 is longer therefore it can theoretically go a little faster than the others due to the waterline.

Since this is your first cat and you will be doing some solo sailing i would suggest you start with a Hobie,Prindle,Nacra 16 footer or 5.0 meter boat. I say this for several reasons...First of all they will be slightly faster to rig (less parts), you can right the boat by yourself easily, less adjustment to worry about, less parts to forget in your garage (done it), very easy to find parts for second hand, etc. I started with a P16 and really loved that boat. The prindle handled all the conditions i put it through very well. Rigging the boat was a peice of cake. I then moved onto a Nacra 5.0 and it was even easier to rig than the prindle(no boom) and seemed to be a little faster. Now i have moved up to a 5.2 with a pentex square top and spin but will not take it out until Friday. I really liked the Nacra 5.0 the best because of its ease..I could set it up and be on the water in under 15 minutes. My opinion is to start with a easy boat and work your way up. Im not saying that all the adjustment on the 5.2 isnt a good thing, but when your new its nice to focus on the simple things and get confident in your skills before you move on to all of the adjustment that a 5.2 or similar has. Just my $.02 cents since ive had all the boats you mentioned.

Re: Nacra 5.2 vs. Prindle 16 [Re: TurboCat] #146602
06/24/08 05:07 PM
06/24/08 05:07 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
lots to consider

- which is in best condition? new sails for either can be more than the cost of the boat

- with the daggers the 5.2 will point better, important in restricted waters

- will you tow it, or leave it on the beach rigged? if towed the prindle has less bits and is a little smaller so should be easier. check the trailer well

- will you race it? the nacra should be able to be sailed a round a course faster than a prindle or hobie16

- do either of them come with traps wires and harnesses?, you'll probably want to sail with them in a year or 2

- with a little work an old 5.2 can almost look as good as a new f18

- will either seller take you out on a test sail?

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022