05/20/09 11:05 AM
05/20/09 11:05 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I agree, I would put requirement "C" ahead of all others. Knowledge of cats is definitely important, but can be taught.

As for the suggestion to make the last leg shorter (30 miles) to make the finish more predictable / tight for spectators, I think that's a fantastic idea for the race, but wouldn't that be a logistical nightmare for the ground crews? I'm thinking there wouldn't be enough time to pack up and beat the boats to the finish.

Mike

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: John Williams] #179021
05/20/09 11:09 AM
05/20/09 11:09 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

yes it was meant as humor... and i completely agree with all he (and others has said). Without competent and reliable ground crew... there would be no race like this. Not to mention the need to be able to work well together.

And for complete disclosure... i am a grumpy, gnarly, pita to work with (ask anyone i work with) and would probably not make for a good skipper (or crew) in this type of event.

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ThunderMuffin] #179024
05/20/09 11:16 AM
05/20/09 11:16 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Re sponsorships vs gifts

Interesting take by Peter Harkin

http://forum.sailingscuttlebutt.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=7507#7507

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Mark Schneider] #179155
05/21/09 08:39 AM
05/21/09 08:39 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
so beachcat sailing, as an industry, should really take a hard look at marketing opportunities, from those with that particular talent, to develop a really good return on investment from 'sponsors'.

I slept through most of my marketing 101 class, so I'll defer the research and brainstorming to those that actually do it for a living...

Jay

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: waterbug_wpb] #179158
05/21/09 09:06 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I slept through most of my marketing 101 class, so I'll defer the research and brainstorming to those that actually do it for a living...

Funny i found economics and price theory the perfect antidote for insomnia... i enjoyed the marketing classes as they were all BS

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: waterbug_wpb] #179159
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The OA is overlooking at least one source of sponsorship i.e. the "keyboard" sailors. I derive an enormous amount of pleasure from all this stuff, and unlike television, I don't have to sit through endless commercials. I bought a shirt from SA, because they put on great coverage. I'd be happy to buy a shirt from the Tybee 500, especially if they stamped a big, red "SPONSOR" on the back. Granted, these are small ticket items in the grander scheme, but it all adds up.

I might even pay a little more for something limited addition. A nice shirt with all the competitors signatures would make a pretty nice souvenir (the signatures needn't be original).

Fair is fair, if you put on a show, I'm happy to pay admission.

Hell, you might consider incorporating and selling shares.

Last edited by pgp; 05/21/09 09:09 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: waterbug_wpb] #179160
05/21/09 09:08 AM
05/21/09 09:08 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I really think the time is right for a big push for "Green Watersports" such as, sailing, and I'm talking about Hobie Waves, Getaways, Hobie Adventure Island Kayaks, pedal power, arm power and/or sail power.

Obama is on the gas milage kick, what better way to jump on that bandwagon than show the country how little gasoline you need (compared to a Jet Ski) to have a fun day on the water, and there is the physical excercise as well, something we fat-butt Americans need a lot more of. And you get some good, gas efficient car (a little Ford or something) to tow the little Wave trailers, show people you don't need a F350 Dually Diesel to haul your sailboat/kayak.

There's your "Two birds, One stone", no carbon footprint, and NO NOISE, which is my biggest problem with jet ski's here on my lake, they are so Freaking loud and obnoxious.

I swear if I had a 308 with a scope...

There's your marketing opportunity, you get Gatorade (or some other sports drink) to piggy back on it, Bullfrog sunblock, or Coppertone, somebody big who wants some exposure, pun intended.

You have a "Day of Fun in the Sun and Learn to Sail" Sponsored by Hobie, Gatorade, Bullfrog, with US Sailing provided free instructors, etc.

Do it on Daytona Beach at spring break. Now that I think more about that, maybe get Hawiian Tropic as your sunscreen sponsor, with their girls rubbing on the lotion! Hell, I'll take sailing lessons for some of that action!

The point is, when it comes to leisure sports/activities, I think you have to push it into people's faces. We all know men are impulse buyers. How many times have you been rigging up on the beach, to have some guy wonder up and start with all the questions, "Wow, that looks cool, what's it cost? Is that hard to do? Where are you guys from?" I would love to say, here, put this harness and life jackett on, let's get wet! And take out every one of them, but you know we don't have time for that at a regatta. BUT, if you put together some type of a "Come and give it a try, FREE!" type day, who knows?

You might sell a few boats and get some new blood into the sport, you point out the obvious advantages over a Jet Ski, the free-ness of it all(no gas), the Green-ness of it all(wind/solar powered), the way Chicks dig it, etc. and invite him to the next local regatta/party. Guys are always looking for an excuse to party, especially if it involves free beer on a beach!

Well, that's my storm in my brain...and I will be delivering some of my old Catsailor Mags. to my Dr. friend later today, as soon as I am well enough I'm taking him out on the Prindle, then the Blade if he's up for it.

Blade F16
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Timbo] #179162
05/21/09 09:11 AM
05/21/09 09:11 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Timbo
I really think the time is right for a big push for "Green Watersports" such as, sailing, and I'm talking about Hobie Waves, Getaways, Hobie Adventure Island Kayaks, pedal power, arm power and/or sail power.

Obama is on the gas milage kick, what better way to jump on that bandwagon than show the country how little gasoline you need (compared to a Jet Ski) to have a fun day on the water, and there is the physical excercise as well, something we fat-butt Americans need a lot more of. And you get some good, gas efficient car (a little Ford or something) to tow the little Wave trailers, show people you don't need a F350 Dually Diesel to haul your sailboat/kayak.

There's your "Two birds, One stone", no carbon footprint, and NO NOISE, which is my biggest problem with jet ski's here on my lake, they are so Freaking loud and obnoxious.

I swear if I had a 308 with a scope...

There's your marketing opportunity, you get Gatorade (or some other sports drink) to piggy back on it, Bullfrog sunblock, or Coppertone, somebody big who wants some exposure, pun intended.

You have a "Day of Fun in the Sun and Learn to Sail" Sponsored by Hobie, Gatorade, Bullfrog, with US Sailing provided free instructors, etc.

Do it on Daytona Beach at spring break. Now that I think more about that, maybe get Hawiian Tropic as your sunscreen sponsor, with their girls rubbing on the lotion! Hell, I'll take sailing lessons for some of that action!

The point is, when it comes to leisure sports/activities, I think you have to push it into people's faces. We all know men are impulse buyers. How many times have you been rigging up on the beach, to have some guy wonder up and start with all the questions, "Wow, that looks cool, what's it cost? Is that hard to do? Where are you guys from?" I would love to say, here, put this harness and life jackett on, let's get wet! And take out every one of them, but you know we don't have time for that at a regatta. BUT, if you put together some type of a "Come and give it a try, FREE!" type day, who knows?

You might sell a few boats and get some new blood into the sport, you point out the obvious advantages over a Jet Ski, the free-ness of it all(no gas), the Green-ness of it all(wind/solar powered), the way Chicks dig it, etc. and invite him to the next local regatta/party. Guys are always looking for an excuse to party, especially if it involves free beer on a beach!

Well, that's my storm in my brain...and I will be delivering some of my old Catsailor Mags. to my Dr. friend later today, as soon as I am well enough I'm taking him out on the Prindle, then the Blade if he's up for it.

7/11, CVS pharmacy. Any company that sells stuff to beach goers is a potential sponsor for us. The convenience stores even have gas pumps.

Last edited by pgp; 05/21/09 09:13 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: pgp] #179167
05/21/09 09:34 AM
05/21/09 09:34 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
The question isn't whether or not that the sponsors are "involved" in the industry or the activity or not. Its whether or not they get ROI. A sunscreen company would be a great fit for us! Until they realize that the biggest media we had there, SA, as big as it is, still isn't Main-Stream-Media coverage.

This year, I sent out emails and called quite a few TV stations' sports desks along the coast where we were stopping in an effort to get out sponsors in front of cameras and notepads.

I think the only one that bothered to come out was the Savannah paper (I'm told they were there, but I didn't actually see a reporter on the beach). If I'm mistaken, JW please correct me - I know you were working on this as well.

So the hard part of getting sponsorships isn't so much about them "fitting" into the sport. Its more about convincing them that there is an ROI with the event. Whether we like it or not, even this event is hard to get journalists to show up to despite people like Todd giving the camera more action than it can handle.

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ThunderMuffin] #179171
05/21/09 09:49 AM
05/21/09 09:49 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Well let's take a lesson from the French, who seem to have pretty good sponsorship, they take out the reporters on the boats, right? Maybe if you said something in your emails to the local TV channels like, "Be at the beach by 10:00 am for a quick Media sail..." and each team takes one media guy out for a quick lap up and down the coast, or maybe have separate media boats, not in the race, just for taking the media out for a quick blast reach/sail so they can see what it's like or maybe put some of them on a powerboat, or chaseboat, where they can keep up with the leaders and get some up close film for the 6+11pm reports. Did anyone offer to take any media crews out on a power boat at all?

Blade F16
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Timbo] #179172
05/21/09 10:03 AM
05/21/09 10:03 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Just as soon as I say that, I see this:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/beach.htm

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ThunderMuffin] #179174
05/21/09 10:11 AM
Charleston, SC, USA
krona Offline
journeyman
krona  Offline
journeyman

Charleston, SC, USA
Tybee 500 has pretty good coverage over at ESPN, that's pretty mainstream and i was told is was on the ESPN website frontage for a few days, probably not main article but still. I was also told it generated a few million hits.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/news/story?id=4159160

NACRA 570 #90308
Hobie 16 #68973
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ThunderMuffin] #179175
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ROI? How does that accounting work? What if I frequent 7/11 year round because they are sailing sponsors? How about selling them on the idea of using the sailing lifestyle in their display advertising: buy your bag of ice from us and you'll be as cool as the Tybee sailors!

I can't imagine any single event is worth sponsoring,in terms of short term ROI. Repeat business over a period of several years is another mattter.

It's a job for Trey! He's a sailsman! laugh

Last edited by pgp; 05/21/09 10:12 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Timbo] #179176
05/21/09 10:12 AM
05/21/09 10:12 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

I am all in favor of sponsorship, promoting the sport, the sport as a better recreational activity vs jetski's etc...
(and i really dislike sailing through exhaust, sailing near boats who don't understand sailing nor right of way, and the noise of motors)...

but i dont think you can call our sport "green".. (even though we are "greener" than jetski's) with the amount of petro-chemicals used in the production of our boats/lines/blocks/sports clothing.... etc

Unless we go back to hemp lines, and wooden boats .. we are a part of the petro-industrial manufacturing world.

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ] #179178
05/21/09 10:13 AM
05/21/09 10:13 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You gonna live in a grass shack, grow your own food, walk to work and **** in a privy?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: pgp] #179182
05/21/09 10:20 AM
05/21/09 10:20 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by pgp
You gonna live in a grass shack, grow your own food, walk to work and **** in a privy?

Absolutely not! - i am not saying i am "Mr Tree Hugger" i am simply stating that our sport probably can't be considered a "green sport"...

PS i like your idea of T-shirts and such as a way to generate revenues for the events.

Last edited by andrewscott; 05/21/09 10:22 AM.
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ] #179185
05/21/09 10:24 AM
05/21/09 10:24 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Care to cite an example of a green sport? Other than hop scotch.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: pgp] #179187
05/21/09 10:31 AM
05/21/09 10:31 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by pgp
Care to cite an example of a green sport? Other than hop scotch.

i am simply stateing that all of our gear and equipment contains petro-chemicals and it would be hard pressed to claim we are a "green-sport".

I am not trying to promote any other sport nor am i any authority on what is a green sport...

Last edited by andrewscott; 05/21/09 10:32 AM.
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: pgp] #179188
05/21/09 10:35 AM
05/21/09 10:35 AM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
It is not about being completely green. It is about trying to reduce carbon foot print as much as you can. Once a sailboat is produced the boat is greener than most vehicle racing sports.

Below is a link to an auto racing series trying to reduce their carbon footprint. By the simple act of reducing their carbon footprint, they are concidered greener.

http://americanlemans.com/index_green.php

PS: the series is a good development ground for new technologies that will trickle down to production cars which in the long term will help reduce carbon footprint more substantially.

Last edited by cyberspeed; 05/21/09 10:41 AM. Reason: PS:

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: ] #179190
05/21/09 10:42 AM
05/21/09 10:42 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Dude! I'm bustin' yur hump. My a/c hasn't been turned off in decades, and I definitely ain't shovelin' a composting shitter.

What Craig said.

Last edited by pgp; 05/21/09 10:44 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022