05/31/09 03:48 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline OP
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline OP
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Keep it positive please!

Any negative comments and I will ask Rick and Mary to delete your post.

If you want to give your friend props for helping out a n00b, by all means do it here. Give yourself a pat on the back? Do it here! Maybe you're a n00b and someone helped you get on the water? Let's hear it.

Let's all learn from people that are making a difference in their home port. This is a thread for the acknowledgment of good deeds.

What have you done for the betterment of sailing in your community? Don't be shy. Post away...

J

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180384
05/31/09 04:39 PM
05/31/09 04:39 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, since you are asking about TODAY, a guy just called and asked how and where he can learn to sail. He's right here on the island for the summer. So I told him, "Sorry, can't help you."

Just kidding, folks. This is like manna from heaven. I talked to him for quite a while and gave him the number of someone from our Wave fleet who is experienced in teaching people how to sail. Hopefully, we will gain another fleet member.

Also, we have an extra Wave available, so we are going to post something on the bulletin board at the general store to get more people interested in coming out and sailing with us.

Plus, we have a standing invitation to the club's junior sailors to come out and race with us on their 420's and FJ's and Lasers, or whatever-all they use. But so far they haven't done it. Sometimes one of the junior camp instructors will come out and race with us on a spare Wave.

Last edited by Mary; 05/31/09 04:48 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180385
05/31/09 04:42 PM
05/31/09 04:42 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
I'd like to say thanks to several people for helping Wet n Wild regatta.
Our sponsors,
Catsailor Magizine, OnlineMarineStore.com,
West Marine,
LayLine Marine, Zkik sailing
Murrays Marine,
Hobie Cat Corp,
Surf City Catamarans.
These people generously donated to our regatta and our raffle helped to make the event a success. We put the sponsor logos on all our t shirts 80 of them sold out, And as an extra bonus to our sponsors their logos well be on the Round Treasure Island shirts as well.
Thank You all.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: F-18 5150] #180386
05/31/09 04:52 PM
05/31/09 04:52 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Gave away a Hobie 14 to some kids last Sunday then on Thursday spend the night building some Laser storage racks at a local club where we are getting a weeknight series together.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180387
05/31/09 04:54 PM
05/31/09 04:54 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
TODAY? Today I didn't do Jack (actually Jack, I spent an hour at S.I.R. watching the Porche Club go round and round!) but YESTERDAY I took my Prindle across the lake to my Doctor's house, and I took him out in 10-15 knots for an hour.

First I had him just sit on the tramp and watch me traping and steering, and I had him do the jib in the tacks. Then after about 30 minutes, we switched places and I let him steer while I trapped and worked the main for him. He was flying a hull and grinning from ear to ear! Next time we go out I'll have a harness on him and put him on the wire, steering for sure. I think he's interested in buying a cat now.

I don't know if he's interested in racing, -one day at a time- but I'll slowly lead him in that direction, especially if he gets a cat of his own, which I am trying to find for him now.

He just bought a Hobie Adventure Mirage trimaran kayak with sail, he's the guy I mentioned who is interested in the Everglades Challenge, or he thinks he is!

I'll keep working on him, he's got two sons who would be great crew, ages 18 and 21. When I get my Blade back up and running, I'm going to give him a taste of the spinnaker.

Maybe I can get some of his Doctor buddies to give up golf and start sailing as well?

Blade F16
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Timbo] #180389
05/31/09 05:05 PM
05/31/09 05:05 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

The day before yesterday, I took a friend out sailing a Valk sailboat and taught him how to sail it in about 2.5 hours. TYou guys won't know the Valk design but Phill and many Dutch people do. He enjoyed very much and want to do such evenings of after work sailing more often.

Best part is that we can rent these boats fro 25 bucks an hour and it is day light overhere till 10:00 PM. Not need to put on wetsuits either. Just nice cruising in a open sailboat of 22 foot length.

Today ? Well, we'll see in the next 2 years whether today will be a turning point in the beach catamaran scene. The missing link of the sport we all love could have found it's momentum today. And just as with the F16's back in 2001 it happened in the last week of mei !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #180390
05/31/09 05:09 PM
05/31/09 05:09 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This could be a great thread, Jeremy. Thanks for starting it, and I hope it keeps going forever.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180392
05/31/09 05:22 PM
05/31/09 05:22 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
old hand
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
This friend of a friend whom I don't know very well knocked on the door the other day. He's in his early 20's. I answered the door, and he introduced himself and excitedly told me that he and his wife got a sailboat for their first anniversary. So I walked over to his house and wedged into his carport was a beatup Nacra 5.2. I invited him to the harbor the following Tuesday when I had an opening in my schedule and I'd help him rig it up and take him for a spin.

We rigged the boat up and hit the water. Sunny Santa Cruz, 15-18 knots and flat as can be. Those two kids are hooked! Happy anniversary!

J

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180394
05/31/09 05:28 PM
05/31/09 05:28 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mary
This could be a great thread, Jeremy. Thanks for starting it, and I hope it keeps going forever.

In addition to the normal fair of awards, I created new awards for our regatta last weekend for:

Best In Show
Best Classic
Best Under Construction
Sportsmanship Award
Best Stunt

Some guys and gals that don't always win awards walked away with something this year.

Jake Kohl
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Jake] #180399
05/31/09 05:47 PM
05/31/09 05:47 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sunday's a day off but I spent the last three weeks rebuilding Sabots for the juniors program. If you're ever looking for a working vacation Jake... I also gave out $2000 in scholarships a week ago.

Tomorrow we put the dock back in the water and get the chain replaced on the moorings for the juniors boats. Classes start in a little over a week. We've now got 15 boats so we'll have 30 kids in each class.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Jake] #180403
05/31/09 06:08 PM
05/31/09 06:08 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Jake, back when I raced Flying Scots, at the big regattas they always gave out trophys for:

1. Furthest Distance traveled to the regatta
2. Top Husband/Wife finish
3. Top Parent/child finish
4. Top Junior team (age 16 and younger)
5. Top Female Skipper
6. Top all Female crew
7. Top NEW sailor (first year or First Regatta if there were more than one)

ETC.

The point was, there were a lot of trophys and lots of people went away with one, and a smile, and lots of people came back next time.

Last edited by Timbo; 05/31/09 06:12 PM.

Blade F16
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Timbo] #180405
05/31/09 06:34 PM
05/31/09 06:34 PM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

While I was out in a Safety Boat for today's club regatta, my wife sat in the picnic shelter out on the point, enjoying the weather and the view of the boats on the water.

A young man came out and joined her and said he had just moved here from Chicago, and had sailed as a kid. Now he was looking to buy a boat and for a good place to sail. She gave him the spiel on the club, and told him about our bulletin boards with boats for sale. She gave him my name as a contact for questions, and he said he would probably join, based on her friendliness and helpfulness.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: IndyWave] #180410
05/31/09 07:07 PM
05/31/09 07:07 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
I just spent 3 very long days on a signal boat out in the middle of Lake St. Clair, calling starts and finishes of 6 classes in the Detroit NOOD Regatta (T-10s, Etchells, C&C 35s, S2 7.9s, Level 123 and J105s - yes, it was the "4kt s**t box course".)

I also met Carrie Howe's brother at the bar (he was wearing a "Team Hobie" jacket), talked up with Mr. Clean and his lovely wife, Mer - and how stoked they were to go out on an N20 after the Tybee.

What's really scary? At the age of 49 - I was the youngest of the 7 people on the signal boat. By a lot.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: mbounds] #180411
05/31/09 07:12 PM
05/31/09 07:12 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It wasn't me but credit where credit is due.

"To All Officers, Board & Members:

On Thursday, May 28, 2009 GYC hosted a Field Trip to our Club for the kids from the Gulfport Recreation Center.

Volunteers Dorothy Whyte, Jim Craver, two new members, Susan Hutchinson & Myra Schwarz, Bob Feckner, Fred Metcalf & I worked the event. We had 32 kids from ages 6 to 11 years old. Fred & Susan had the kids wearing a trapeze harness and riding the rail on the Hobie 16. Bob, Dorothy & Jim were doing tactical moves on the sunfish. Myra and I were showing videos of catamaran sailing. They especially liked "T.R.O.U.B.L.E." (it's on UTUBE). The last event was a quiz show game of "Who Wants To Be A Sailor?" MC'd by Fred. (GYC's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millonaire?) We gave out prizes and medals, pencils, pencil sharpeners and special coloring books we made promoting GYC. It was a smashing success. It was so much fun & the kids were totally great!

I believe it was a great event and a way to give back to the community. Hopefully we'll get some kids who will be interested enough to be future sailors. (One young girl wanted a membership application, so I gave her one.) Bob took some pictures and will submit them to the Gabber along with an article for publication.

I want to thank all of the volunteers who helped with this event and made it such a terrific success. Also, I wanted to let everyone know that we are constantly working to promote sailing and our club in the most positive light.

We have attracted many new members this year and we are getting many more inquiries as well. Four new members with monohulls have joined the club and rented our wet slips. We now have all of our wet slips filled as of this date. That's a first in at least 5 years as far as I know. We only have 4 to 5 dry slips left as well and that's since adding 6 new dry slips with tie downs.

Again, I want to thank all that participated and the next time you see a volunteer at GYC just say "THANK YOU" to them. Without volunteers the club would not exist.

Thanks,
Mary Ann"

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: pgp] #180414
05/31/09 07:43 PM
05/31/09 07:43 PM
Thailand
Buccaneer Offline
veteran
Buccaneer  Offline
veteran

Thailand
Just washed my boat.. cool

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Buccaneer] #180428
05/31/09 10:08 PM
05/31/09 10:08 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
By staying off the boat this weekend I helped raise the level of respect for sailors everywhere.

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: zander] #180429
05/31/09 10:35 PM
05/31/09 10:35 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Had a good training session at ABYC - Steve Hansen took delivery of his new F18 and got his girlfriend suited up in full Zhik kit from the Sailing Pro Shop. Jeff Newsome and Bill Westland practiced on a borrowed Infusion - both are A-cat guys who are going partners on a Wildcat for the F18 Championship. Dan DeLave took his two nephews out for a spin on the Tiger - there were big smiles on that boat. Dennis Key drove up from San Diego to sail with me for the day - we tuned a bit with Jeff and Bill. While at the club, I had the pleasure of informing someone their time on the wait list for a yard mooring was over. I also listened to a proposal for a non-profit that would lease Tempests (a 22-foot keelboat) to members between 20 and 30 years of age (career/family-building age and harder to own a boat).

I'm pleasantly tired, my boat seems sorted out and tuned, and there are good events on the horizon. I am content.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: John Williams] #180439
06/01/09 05:09 AM
06/01/09 05:09 AM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline
addict
grob  Offline
addict

Brighton, UK
On Saturday I ran our cadet family sailing morning, it was pretty windy so we only had a dozen kids out in oppis and most gave up after 30 mins to an hour, The kids are aged between 7 and 14, but a hardcore of three stayed out all morning, getting some great practice and really improving, my own three older children 7, 10 and 12 were not in the latter group but I was pleased they gave it a go.

Today I am teaching at our Monday evening after school cadet group this is a well established group, we will get around 70 children on the water tonight, with loads of adult volunteers, helping with everything from rigging the boats, supervising, safety boats and providing hot food. I joined this sailing club three years ago as it has the best kids sailing in the area and it is the best thing I ever did. No catamarans yet but I am working on that.

Gareth

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: grob] #180463
06/01/09 09:42 AM
06/01/09 09:42 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Well Nothing today because it's Monday Morning.

Yesterday I helped a new Hobie Tiger owner at our club rig his boat up for the first time. He was missing a few parts and I tossed those to him for free.

He's a new sailor. He's never sailed in his life. But has a nice Tiger now with wings. He took it out yesterday in drifting conditions and got back to shore somehow.

Then I helped him pull his boat up the beach with a flat tire on his cat trax. I informed him that was the last time I'd help until he fixes his trax. Then I explained how to fix them. laugh

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mike Hill] #180464
06/01/09 09:43 AM
06/01/09 09:43 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
More SCHRS stuff, I do SCHRS stuff most days.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mike Hill] #180465
06/01/09 09:46 AM
06/01/09 09:46 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I donated all of my old windsurfing gear (racing - some barely used) to the local sailing club to increase awareness. Seeing kids on high-tech (well, for the late 90s) boards/sails should help increase participation...

Jake, can you add the following classes to the regatta?

- oldest sailable yacht. Where is that egyptian cotton sail? smile
- (my favorite) The annual Buh Tugly memorial award (obviously, for the worst looking - but still sailing- craft).

Jay

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #180478
06/01/09 10:49 AM
06/01/09 10:49 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I scored our Wave Fleet Racing Series from Saturday's first of the year here at Put-in-Bay, Ohio. Last year we got in 68 races just in our series, not counting regattas attended.
Our Key Largo Fleet got in 92 races during the winter -- over 150 series-only racing. Guess that is why both of the fleets do so well at major events.
Nothing beats time on the water.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: RickWhite] #180479
06/01/09 11:02 AM
06/01/09 11:02 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Came is 60% under budget for the tropies I was assigned to make for the Don Coe Memorial Regatta in Clear Lake.
22mph sustained, with gusts to 31 btw. Wicked sailing this weekend!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #180484
06/01/09 11:48 AM
06/01/09 11:48 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Our work continues at Sail Sand Point in Seattle, www.sailsandpoint.org All the Waves are ready for the new season. Updating our six H-16's is ongoing. Installing new "Bobs" is nearly done. All local cat sailor volunteers are welcome to stop in and help out.

Our Fast and Fun program is underway.
Our next two events are Kirkland downtown Marina June 20, and Luther Burbank Park, Mercer Island June 21. Looking for volunteer skippers for both events. We will also have nine new Hobie Cat Kayaks at the Fast and Fun Free outreach programs.
Big thanks to all our volunteers. Without their support, we would not have the success we enjoy.

Caleb Tarleton
Sail Sand Point

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 10:22 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #180486
06/01/09 12:25 PM
06/01/09 12:25 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I too washed my boat, then took it to Madcatter, hired a babysitter, got the boat off the trailer and registered.

Michelle and I then got scared of the wind, so we went out to help with RC for two days. Had a blast as always!

Lots of RC work coming up this summer, a good amount of them in youth classes.

Not to mention Hobie membership.

Mike

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: brucat] #180503
06/01/09 03:12 PM
06/01/09 03:12 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just got back from putting the dock in the water. Tomorrow is tape and the first coat of bottom paint on the Sabots. We'll move two of the new Open Bics from the warehouse to the club too.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #180553
06/02/09 05:27 AM
06/02/09 05:27 AM
Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
popeyez7 Offline
popeyez7  Offline

Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
Going to make Oneida lake, (N.Y.) look prettier this year.
Paintin my 18 Hobie mag. from yer basic white to yellow. Had to fix some of the 'battle scars' from the previous
owner(s)... Now if I could find some yellow sails to match it? Supposed to take a girl I know out sailin to show her the ropes on the Hobie 14T she bought from me. She also wants to go on the 18 when I get it back in the water~~hopefully by this weekend....... smile

~~Don't fear the ''SPEED''~~ Fear the''ADDICTION''
~17,18 Hobies,
~Jet boat~Speedster 150
~2 Kayaks~
~~~~VIETNAM VET. 69-71~~~~
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #180559
06/02/09 06:48 AM
06/02/09 06:48 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Today, nada,
but I did set up some user friendly google maps for my club and help out with the website. I also translated some of our forms into English for our international visitors. My aim in general is to lower the threshold for new people to come in and check things out.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: DennisMe] #180566
06/02/09 08:34 AM
06/02/09 08:34 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

I sailed so purrty that anyone who saw me MUST have decided to join the sport! (kiddin)

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #180595
06/02/09 12:26 PM
06/02/09 12:26 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Just spent over an our trying to devise a cat superior to the Laser and Optimist in key aspects: as a kids trainer, teen/adult one design racer and cruiser, while also safer, simpler, lighter and cheaper.

Just dreaming, of course.

Luiz
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Luiz] #180596
06/02/09 12:30 PM
06/02/09 12:30 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Luiz,
Have you been to our Formula 12 Forum?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180618
06/02/09 02:02 PM
06/02/09 02:02 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Thought I already did that and was ignored -- Hobie Wave with a Hooter, sailed 2-up
Rick

Rick White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180641
06/02/09 03:12 PM
06/02/09 03:12 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz,
Have you been to our Formula 12 Forum?

Yes. I support the F12.
Rick: the Wave is expensive.

Luiz
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Luiz] #180643
06/02/09 03:49 PM
06/02/09 03:49 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...the Wave is expensive.

I know and that is very unfortunate. But that's why most people buy used Waves for $2,000-$2,500.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180664
06/02/09 06:16 PM
06/02/09 06:16 PM
Gulf Coast
tami Offline
addict
tami  Offline
addict

Gulf Coast
that's why most people buy used Waves for $2,000-$2,500.

That's still rather high if you ask me.
Here's what I did:

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #180676
06/02/09 06:57 PM
06/02/09 06:57 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
I got into trading old Hobie parts (shortened, bent-straight H14 mast off my mast pile with good boom) for H16 batten set with an older gentleman who owns lakefront property. 8^)

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: dacarls] #180709
06/02/09 10:16 PM
06/02/09 10:16 PM

S
Scarecrow
Unregistered
Scarecrow
Unregistered
S

I just wrote a cheque for well over a thousand dollars worth of parts for F12 catamarans despite having no kids and no intension of having any.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #180776
06/03/09 01:03 PM
06/03/09 01:03 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
I've loaded my GRAVELY Tractor w/ 42" mower deck, Echo Weedwacker and Backpack Blower into my F150 Ford to drive down RHYC and start to cut/trim/clean up the 7-8 acres of developed property for the sailing events being held on June 19th through 21st at RHYC. Also inflate and check "marks" condition for equiping/setting three different courses

So it looks like I have several different days of work over the next several weeks ....

Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #181003
06/04/09 06:31 PM
06/04/09 06:31 PM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
Tomorrow is Day 5 of the first week of summer sailing camp I'm teaching exclusively on Waves. This is the 4th summer I've been teaching this camp. I've already started spamming the forum with tons of video clips of kids sailing beach cats.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: barbshort] #181010
06/04/09 07:54 PM
06/04/09 07:54 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Barb,

That ain't "spamming" ..... so bring it on, girl!!!!!!

Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #181257
06/07/09 02:47 PM
06/07/09 02:47 PM
W
www.sailinglouisiana.com Offline
stranger
www.sailinglouisiana.com  Offline
stranger
W

Check out this site for some helpful hints and tricks. There are also some boats for sale.

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 12:23 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: www.sailinglouisiana.com] #181985
06/15/09 06:56 AM
06/15/09 06:56 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
Goclaw Offline
journeyman
Goclaw  Offline
journeyman

Ocean Springs, MS
This weekend was the best sailing "ever" I rigged up and took over a dozen club members (mostly newbies) out for their first cat ride. Smiles for miles (especially after I popped up the spin).

Next weekend we are having a Catamaran Open House whence our cat owners and our sailing camp instructors will be rigging up our cats and giving rides to anyone who shows.

In sailing,

Ken

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Goclaw] #181987
06/15/09 07:15 AM
06/15/09 07:15 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
This saturday and sunday,

Trey, me, and the rest of the EMSA fleet raced on the same race course as kids on lasers, 420's, lightnings, thistles, and, yes, opti's, in about 10-15 knots of breeze.

While it was truly terrifying coming into the finish line at 20 knots and seeing 20 opti's in front of you sitting there, we got a lot of kids telling us "whoa cool!!!!'

I think we made at least 3 new multihull sailors this weekend. Trey especially with his high speed reaching fly-bys between races.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #181990
06/15/09 08:00 AM
06/15/09 08:00 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I recall quite fondly a mixed regatta in Sarasota many years back. They put us in a short course with a bunch of 420s.

Picking our way downwind was fun, especially since we'd go flying by realitively quietly and they never expected us to go so quickly past us.

I was going above one 420 downwind and had to single trap as we picked up a header right behind them. Probably hit 15 kts as we went around them (doing about 6). I thought the spinnaker was going to brush their spin pole. The collegate team was duly impressed, and they (along with their parents on a coach boat) asked us about the boats between races.

Only drawback (besides having to pick our way through the fleets) was trying to start with them all bobbing around the PRO boat with their coach boats in tow...

Jay

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #182001
06/15/09 11:24 AM
06/15/09 11:24 AM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Well, YESTERDAY I took my whole family sailing. I usually have several of my kids friends along for the ride. They love it!

Want to talk about priceless times? Thats it!

Clayton

Attached Files
Stiletto sail.JPG (389 downloads)
Last edited by Clayton; 06/15/09 11:34 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Clayton] #182509
06/20/09 09:58 PM
06/20/09 09:58 PM
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

I took four groups of visitors out on my Wave during my sailing club's Open House. The wind was great, 10-18; everyone got wet and had a Great time. Recruited a new member and convinced a father to enroll his son in our sailing camp.

Before the open house started, I took a weed-eater and a golf-club-style weed chopper to our Hobie Beach. I cleared out all the weeds and bushes under and around all the un-used boats, around the trees and down to the water. I made the place look nice and well used!

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: IndyWave] #182582
06/22/09 02:22 PM
06/22/09 02:22 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Sail Sand Point in Seattle, logged two more Fast and Fun Free Sailing Events last weekend on Lake Washington. On Saturday, at Kirkland, we had 96 new sailors on the water. Sunday, at Luther Burbank Park on Mercer Island, we had 60 people out before a thunder storm with lighting cut the program short.
Thanks to our Volunteer Sailors and Assistants: Jill Stewart, Thayer, Jim Etta, Alec Wade, Cynthina Weed, Jeff Renihold, Scott Ruggles, Will, Bob Combie, Paul Carter, Andy Bender, and Morgan Collins. Special thanks to Mark Sele, wife Della, and daughter Heather, that traveled half way across the State from Wenatchee, and spent both days sailing and helping with the Events.
Caleb Tarleton
Sail Sand Point

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 12:37 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #182584
06/22/09 02:38 PM
06/22/09 02:38 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Caleb, how do you get the word out about these events?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #182620
06/22/09 07:54 PM
06/22/09 07:54 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
The Kirkland Event was part of the "Day on the Water", and was advertised by the City in their local paper and Emails. Mercer Island was part of the "Greenway Days" an Event from Seattle to Central Washington, and advertised by The City of Mercer Island. Sail Sand Point, www.sailsandpoint.org has sailing programs in both Cities. The Mercer Island program is sold out for this year.
Caleb

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #182766
06/23/09 06:45 PM
06/23/09 06:45 PM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
This week I've got 30 kids enrolled in sailing camp on our Waves! We've had 15kts so far and they are loving it. They will never forget how much fun they had on a cat when they were a kid (ages 8-16).

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: barbshort] #183309
06/27/09 06:27 PM
06/27/09 06:27 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Let me think .... it's been a busy week !!!

Last weekend was the Rock Hall YC Annual One Design Regatta ... we had 79 boats total w/ approximently 35 (!!!!!!) being catamarans. That's 44.3% of the boats competing where multi's !!!!! As the Catamaran Rep at RHYC I am stoked!!!

Mon and Tues I spent cutting grass at the YC for the upcoming Junior Regatta on Thurs.

On Thurs RHYC hosted a CBYRA Junior Sailing Regatta ... by the time I arrived at 830am the field I had cut on Tues taking 3hrs (its big) was FILLED w/ Opti's, Lasors, and coach boats !!!!! There were 75 Juniors competing!!!!! The sight of all those Opti's and Lasers sailing around ... well ... PRICELESS is an understatement!!! My job .... cook lunch for everyone (and drive the club manager crazy ... "I need more Burgers, more Hotdogs .... more buns ... more, more, more ...) By the managers count we used 108 Burgers and 50 HotDogs !!!! I cooked for 3hrs and had a blast ( luckily they sent the classes in one-at-time). I can't wait for next year!!!!!

Harry Murphey
Cook: Junior Regatta

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #183524
06/29/09 05:21 PM
06/29/09 05:21 PM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Last week I took 3 days off work to teach an adult "learn to sail" class. We had 26 students and 13 instructors. I taught on a Hobie 18. The students got to learn on their boat of choice. Three choices were Hobie 18, San Juan 21, or Flying Scot. It went very well. Taught a few folks that had bought boats recently but didn't know how to sail. Hopefully be keeping these folks sailing.

Not much wind but that was probably good. Funny going back to square one and teaching after all of these years.

My son had his first day of a sailing program on an Opti last weekend and was getting around like a pro in no time. Watch out for this kid in a few years. laugh

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mike Hill] #183652
06/30/09 11:03 AM
06/30/09 11:03 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Introduced the Beaufort Scale to a nub.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: pgp] #184583
07/09/09 09:14 AM
07/09/09 09:14 AM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline
addict

Graham, NC
I took my 9 year old nephew out and showed him how to trapeze. I thought he would be scared to death but instead he thought it was the most awesome thing ever. I also took out a friends son and daughter for their first sailboat ride. I think the daughter liked it better than her older brother. I then took out a father and son from Long Island, NY. I usually stay clear of sailing strangers but my nephew had befriended the little boy and wanted his new friend to go sailing, the dad had to go in case something happened. So, taught the nephew to trap and took 4 non-sailors out!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: WindyHillF20] #184595
07/09/09 09:49 AM
07/09/09 09:49 AM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

This is not my grand daughter, BUT I started her when is was about this age. This girl is 3 1/2, Ashleigh was 6. She now has 9 years of racing with me and is starting to helm now. They are never to young to start. We need to do all we can to build the sport.

Doug

Last edited by DougSnell; 07/09/09 09:51 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #184653
07/09/09 03:58 PM
07/09/09 03:58 PM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Go Doug! I sailed with my son (4 1/3 YO) he loved it. Strange thing is he wanted to go sailing around the buoys he saw (maybe some potential there)! When I turned back toward the beach he almost wrenched the tiller out of my hands and screamed "No, We're not going back!" (in Dutch).
That made me proud Dad as you could imagine.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: DennisMe] #184660
07/09/09 04:20 PM
07/09/09 04:20 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

I'll tell you what got me. We where going out for the Wed night on the H-17 with a reacher and I could not get the rudder cam to lock. So we sailed to the end of the lake and I gave Ashleigh the stick. Told her to keep the Telocat under the post. About 5 minutes in she said "Paw Paw, I don't have to look, I can feel it". About broke my heart, I trained her well. Another trophy winner in the works.

Doug

Attached Files
Me and Ash.jpg (286 downloads)
Last edited by DougSnell; 07/09/09 04:23 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #184710
07/10/09 02:17 AM
07/10/09 02:17 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
"About 5 minutes in she said "Paw Paw, I don't have to look, I can feel it"
Awesome!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: DennisMe] #184944
07/12/09 09:44 PM
07/12/09 09:44 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Last Weds and Thurs I towed the "Coach Boat" over to AYC and SSA in Annapolis Maryland for their two Junior Sailing Regattas. I stayed and ended up helping coach the kids from RHYC racing Lasers in tactics since I do not know how to make a Laser sail fast. If you ever have a chance to coach any Junior Sailors, it will wear you out by the day's end, but take it!!!!!!! You will recieve more then you give .....

It's the one positive side of unemployment ... and there are also some more Jr events this week ....

Harry Murphey
TheMightyHobie18/P19MX

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: barbshort] #185006
07/13/09 12:59 PM
07/13/09 12:59 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
July 4th took 18 people out for a sail (at the same time!), Most of them was their first time on a sail boat. The next day, took out 7 was even able to fly a hull with 4 on the windward side. This Saturday we had 8 out for a sail, no hull flying but they sure thought flying a 750 sq/ft spin was cool!

Gotta love those Stiletto's,

Clayton

And you can carry an ice chest!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Clayton] #185071
07/13/09 11:17 PM
07/13/09 11:17 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Started our second juniors class today. We've got 29 kids in this class. Here's the twins moving along at a good clip.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: brucat] #185265
07/15/09 09:55 PM
07/15/09 09:55 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

made an inquiry to the yacht club that if we can get five f-18 to show up for the Tri-Point Ocean Race coming up in August would the give them a separate start.

Should know something next week

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #185317
07/16/09 11:31 AM
07/16/09 11:31 AM

A
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
A

That's awsome! Put a big smile on my face, smile

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #185433
07/17/09 11:47 AM
07/17/09 11:47 AM
California
Skipshot Offline
Skipshot  Offline

California
I took six new-to-sailing people out on a Hobie 16 in good winds and I didn't scare them off.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Skipshot] #187392
08/08/09 01:13 AM
08/08/09 01:13 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Spent the week at Sail Sand Point in Seattle, working on the Waves and H-16's, while Grandson Dan was in the H-16 Class.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #187421
08/08/09 12:18 PM
08/08/09 12:18 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
Keeping the marine industry supply companies in busine$$.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #187542
08/10/09 04:25 PM
08/10/09 04:25 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nobody has done anything since June 2? I hope that means everybody has been out sailing, which is probably the BEST thing you can do for sailing.

I've just been doing the scoring for a couple of regattas here at Put-in-Bay, and taking a few pictures on land. I am putting together photo albums for the Wave North Coast Championship and the Shark Nationals.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #187567
08/10/09 09:44 PM
08/10/09 09:44 PM
38.912, -95.37
_flatlander_ Offline
old hand
_flatlander_  Offline
old hand

38.912, -95.37
Mary,

At our last Fleet Fun Day we did that "Ball Hunt" game that either you or Barb suggested, and it was a roaring success!

Mark balls with the sail number of each boat, (can do single, double, or multi-hand teams). We had eleven people and three boats (with very little wind) so we let them chose teams amongst themselves.
The only rules are retrieve your ball and be the first team back to the beach. We threw in a twist to sail ccw around the breakwater before returning to the beach, giving the stragglers another chance.
There was boarding of vessels, hoarding of balls, paddling and other non-sailing skill set activities.
One post-game comment was "I've got some ideas for next time we do this!!", of which they weren't sharing.

Thanks ladies for the great suggestion, I think the old salts enjoyed it as much as the newbies.

John H16, H14
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: _flatlander_] #187580
08/11/09 12:44 AM
08/11/09 12:44 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Must have been Barb's suggestion. Sounds like fun!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #187644
08/11/09 05:38 PM
08/11/09 05:38 PM
Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
popeyez7 Offline
popeyez7  Offline

Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
Got a friend of mine ''hooked'' He bought a 16 Hobie
'Don't fear the speed~~ Fear the addicition'

Ya all know the rest of the story!!!!!!

~17,18 Hobies,
~Jet boat~Speedster 150
~2 Kayaks~
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #187687
08/12/09 04:05 AM
08/12/09 04:05 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Ha, same here! I took him out on his first race a week ago after I got him hooked the month before. He and his wife are now looking at which boat to buy! I love taking strangers out on my cat. Pity they need a lot af special clothing to get into the sport in the Netherlands. This does complicate matters. Probably not a problem in Florida!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #188301
08/17/09 11:38 PM
08/17/09 11:38 PM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
Took the 6.0 out last friday in slow to moderate conditions with my buddy Mike. ran across two other sats on the water, both had newb abord. First one, a H-18 single handed, was pointy side down so Mike jumped in the water, helped right it, and gave some instruction before jumping back abord the 6.0.
Second one, a hobie 16 with a young couple aboard, had the idea that it would be safer to raise the main wile under way instead of doing so on the beach. Had things all F'ed Up. Again, Mike jumped aboard and helped rig the main, gave some instruction, and some advice on setup.
Any time we go to the lake and see other cats with newbs, we keep an eye out to lend a hand. . We also try to talk to them on the beach and exchange contact info so that if they need help rigging, or someone is going to the lake and wants some company, rail meat, whatever, they have a chance to get it.
We also send them to this website, or to our local cat club websites, so that they can get information from others more experienced than us.
We also do a little showing off to folks on the beach whenever we get the chance. We make cat sailing look awesome! And it is!

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: AzCat] #188841
08/24/09 02:23 PM
08/24/09 02:23 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Great Press

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 12:20 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mark Schneider] #189148
08/26/09 11:57 PM
08/26/09 11:57 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Like Mark noted. Good press helps our sport.

Also a good idea to add your comments to the article. They like to know we are reading.
Caleb Tarleton

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 12:21 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #189480
08/29/09 09:05 AM
08/29/09 09:05 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thursday night Rick and I went to the organizational meeting for next year's I-LYA Bay Week Regatta. At stake was not just the need to revitalize this regatta, which has been an institution on Lake Erie for well over a century, but to SAVE the regatta from extinction.

At least 30 people showed up for this important meeting, which lasted more than three hours and yielded much valuable input. It was great to see so many people committed to getting this regatta, which used to be the biggest freshwater regatta in the country, back on its feet.

By the way, this regatta is for all sailboats, big and small, monohull and multihull, handicap and one-design. Rick and I were there to sort of represent the small-boat racing, which includes centerboard monohulls, beach cats, and sailboards.

Nobody likes to go to meetings, but I can now see how important it is for people to get involved on the organizational level.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #189835
09/01/09 06:40 AM
09/01/09 06:40 AM
Cary, NC
Storz Offline
Storz  Offline

Cary, NC
Took a 1st timer out on my boat last Friday, being a powerboat guy he was really impressed with the control and speed of the cat smile

Ryan
1983 Isotope
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Storz] #189876
09/01/09 11:57 AM
09/01/09 11:57 AM
California
Skipshot Offline
Skipshot  Offline

California
How about what I didn't do for sailing? At last weekend's regatta I T-boned a Hobie 16 with my Hobie 18 and severely dented the 16's side rail to the tune of $200 of damage. The next day I brain-farted during the skipper's meeting and missed the admonition to avoid a restricted zone - then I sailed in it and caught the wrath of the entire fleet and RC.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Skipshot] #189950
09/01/09 07:55 PM
09/01/09 07:55 PM
Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
popeyez7 Offline
popeyez7  Offline

Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
Don't ya like it when ya take a 'motorhead' out and he's impressed... Almost makes ya want to give him a few bucks for a downpaym't on a cat~~~ 'Naaaawwwww'' he can use his GAS money for that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

~17,18 Hobies,
~Jet boat~Speedster 150
~2 Kayaks~
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #189953
09/01/09 08:59 PM
09/01/09 08:59 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by popeyez7
Don't ya like it when ya take a 'motorhead' out and he's impressed... Almost makes ya want to give him a few bucks for a downpaym't on a cat~~~ 'Naaaawwwww'' he can use his GAS money for that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I like is when u FLY by the motorboat later on a reach and just SMILE!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Doug

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #189954
09/01/09 09:22 PM
09/01/09 09:22 PM
Cary, NC
Storz Offline
Storz  Offline

Cary, NC
Originally Posted by popeyez7

Just glad he had a good time sailing smile I actually like performance powerboats too...shh just don't tell anyone wink

Ryan
1983 Isotope
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #191208
09/17/09 05:24 PM
09/17/09 05:24 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For the past couple months our yacht club, Put-in-Bay Yacht Club in Ohio on Lake Erie, has been allowing us to keep our fleet of Hobie Waves lined up on the lawn right up at the front of the club, along the road and across from the water. It's a great advertisement for the club and for sailing and to recruit new sailors.

Before, we were banished to the far back end of the property, where nobody could see us.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #191228
09/18/09 01:51 AM
09/18/09 01:51 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Wow! "For the times, they are a chai-ai-ngin"
Let's hope so, anyway.

[EDIT]
Before: "we were banished to the far back end of the property"

After: "lined up on the lawn right up at the front of the club"

That signifies a very nice change to me. Made me think of the old Bob Dylan song! But in a positive way!

http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/times-they-are-changin
[/EDIT]

Last edited by DennisMe; 09/18/09 08:08 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: DennisMe] #191229
09/18/09 02:01 AM
09/18/09 02:01 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by DennisMe
Wow! "For the times, they are a chai-ai-ngin"
Let's hope so, anyway.

WHAT!?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #191813
09/23/09 08:26 PM
09/23/09 08:26 PM
Charleston, SC, USA
krona Offline
journeyman
krona  Offline
journeyman

Charleston, SC, USA
For the first time in my life I just joined US Sailing, and while doing so subscribed to Sailing World and Cruising World, also opted for the donate option.

I hope this will do something for sailing.......

NACRA 570 #90308
Hobie 16 #68973
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: krona] #192136
09/27/09 10:48 PM
09/27/09 10:48 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Have to report on a great Youth Event in Seattle this weekend. CYC and Sail Sand Point run a Regatta, October Fest every year. This year we had 82 boats on the water, good winds and sun. Kevin Cunningham ran the race from one start/finish line. Opti's, Lasers, FJ's, 29ers, Hobie Waves, and Moths took part. The 10 Moths provided the excitement, foil borne, and cutting thru the fleets at will. Lucky for us, they were all excellent skippers.

Caleb Tarleton

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #192141
09/28/09 03:00 AM
09/28/09 03:00 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's fabulous, Caleb! How many Waves?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Mary] #192193
09/28/09 12:51 PM
09/28/09 12:51 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Mary, only five Waves on the line. Four came down from Comax, BC, Canada. We had six SSP Waves ready to go, free to the sailors. Only taker was Grandson Dan, who placed first. Our last Division 4 Regatta was seven weeks ago. Most youth have switched to other sports. Dan did have a soccer game on Sunday, which he made after the last race.

Caleb

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #192480
10/01/09 04:43 PM
10/01/09 04:43 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
old hand
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
This thread is coming along nicely! Thanks everyone for doing your part!

J

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #192545
10/02/09 03:02 PM
10/02/09 03:02 PM
Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
popeyez7 Offline
popeyez7  Offline

Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
Another friend of mine~~ ( thats two this yr. ) that bought a Hobie 16..... now I don't have any friends to sail with me... frown

~17,18 Hobies,
~Jet boat~Speedster 150
~2 Kayaks~
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #193833
10/17/09 11:50 PM
10/17/09 11:50 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
I'm picking up a set of sails and delivering them to HavaMega from Sacramento.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: F-18 5150] #195418
11/05/09 07:55 AM
11/05/09 07:55 AM
couldn't resist it
Codblow Offline
enthusiast
Codblow  Offline
enthusiast

couldn't resist it
Just Started a google group for Scottish Stealth Sailors (a rare breed) to nuture and encourage same .

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Codblow] #195423
11/05/09 09:06 AM
11/05/09 09:06 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Codblow
Just Started a google group for Scottish Stealth Sailors (a rare breed) to nuture and encourage same .

Very cool.. where do you sail out of? I did a race or 2 at the Campbelltown Yacht club about 20 years ago..

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #195510
11/06/09 05:51 AM
11/06/09 05:51 AM
couldn't resist it
Codblow Offline
enthusiast
Codblow  Offline
enthusiast

couldn't resist it
Helensburgh Sailing Club , on the upper Clyde

http://www.helensburghsailingclub.co.uk/

used to do a lead mine race into cambletown many many years ago , trips ashore weren't for the feintharted , bandit country wink

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Codblow] #195525
11/06/09 10:17 AM
11/06/09 10:17 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

very cool.. i have been there many many times (Helensburgh, not the club).

Bandit country??? do expalin please... the only thing i found in campbelltown were Las's that wanted to get out of there (worked very well for us Yanks in uniform)

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #195580
11/07/09 08:19 AM
11/07/09 08:19 AM
couldn't resist it
Codblow Offline
enthusiast
Codblow  Offline
enthusiast

couldn't resist it
Cambletown has a formidable reputation and dislike of strangers especially yotties perhaps they preffered fly boys , to be fair I think things have moderated from days of tying up to pier and locals spitting down on you , not safe to walk around alone at night .
not the usual scottish welcome

I say "fly boys " as I guess you perhaps were stationed at us airfield near Cambletown.

Next time in helensburgh give me a shout , and you can come and meet the helcats and share some scottish swally

Last edited by Codblow; 11/07/09 08:24 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #195672
11/09/09 02:28 AM
11/09/09 02:28 AM
16nut Offline
16nut  Offline

Here is a quick note about what I have done to help sailing in my area. I live in Hayden Idaho, next to Hayden Lake, Lake Coeur d’Alene, & Lake Pend Oreille.

1. I started a trailer-able sailing club 2 years ago called Sailing the Inland NW. Primarily we sail Hobie Cats, AI’s, Keelboats, Sea/Super Snarks, and RC model sailboats. We run one big regatta a year followed by many smaller sailing get-togethers. In 2008 we ran the first Hobie/multihull regatta in 23 years in our area. Also ran the first known AI regatta nationally/internationally.

2. I have been running a disAbled/accessible sailing program called Self Awareness In Leisure (SAIL). My program is featured on the new Paralyzed Vets of America sports video. We are currently working on funding to help our sailors get to regional and national events. We sail Access Dinghies, AI’s, Waves, and Hobie 16’s with Trapseats.

3. I run Its Tiller Time Sailing School and teach on AI’s, Wave’s, Hobie 16’s with and without Trapseats, Super Snarks, a Catalina 22, and a Reynolds 33’ catamaran. I am currently writing a sailing book that will have no biases related to monohulls or multihulls. Plus it will have disAbled sailing tips, games, etc.

4. I started a sailboat shop called SAIL Marine. I sell Hobie’s, Catalina’s, Snarks, and other boats. Plus of course I sell gear, etc. Running a sailboat shop allows me to really support local sailing efforts.

5. After a long time of frustration related to trying to find info about the local lakes and other marine info I started Boating the Inland NW. This website has everything related to the boating and marine info for the Inland NW. I have spent the last 2 years mapping, photographing, and exploring the hundreds of lakes and reservoirs within the Inland NW. The Lakes Guide has been a huge project but it’s really paying big time in brining the club and all things marine together in this area.

All of this has been a lot of work but I have received a lot of satisfaction knowing and seeing local sailors and others benefit from my efforts. Right now the plan is to just continuing working on these 5 projects and keep expanding to grow the sport that I love.

Here are the links to my websites if you would like to see and learn more.

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 12:27 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: 16nut] #195694
11/09/09 10:13 AM
11/09/09 10:13 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Supporting the new sailing school, now with 20 kids - an all time record in the country.

"Predated" the monohull oriented sailing school: talked the two oldest ones (14 y.o.) into crewing two Supercat 17 that needed crew for the Nationals yesterday. They loved sailing on the wire most of the time and their boats finnished quite well 3,3,3 and 2,1,1 out of six boats.

Luiz
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Codblow] #195710
11/09/09 01:40 PM
11/09/09 01:40 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Codblow
Cambletown has a formidable reputation and dislike of strangers especially yotties perhaps they preffered fly boys , to be fair I think things have moderated from days of tying up to pier and locals spitting down on you , not safe to walk around alone at night .
not the usual scottish welcome

I say "fly boys " as I guess you perhaps were stationed at us airfield near Cambletown.

Next time in helensburgh give me a shout , and you can come and meet the helcats and share some scottish swally

Hmmmm, despite a few brawls after pubs closed (and ALWAYS due to drunk locals being jealous of the girls attention on the "yanks"..) i didn't find the locals to be unfriendly at all... this was 20+ years ago.

I was in the USNavy, stationed at Macrahansih RAF base. There was very few Americans there.

Thank you for the invite... maybe one day.... smile

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #196097
11/12/09 05:33 PM
11/12/09 05:33 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Last Sunday we had 15 Boy Scouts learn how to sail and earn their sailing merit badges.

This weekend were teaching kids from a muni tennis team the joys of sailing.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #197677
11/26/09 12:59 PM
11/26/09 12:59 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
I ask my yacht club, RHYC to offer an invite to the Chesapeake Bay Area Junior Olympics which we are hosting on July 9-11, 2010 to the Hobie Div11 Youth Sailors .... the Organizing Committee promptly offered a invitation!!!!

Now the real work begins ......

Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: HMurphey] #197710
11/27/09 09:02 AM
11/27/09 09:02 AM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline
addict
Dazz  Offline
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Today i made a webpage for next years paper tiger oz nationals, its 12 months away but its nice to be prepared!

http://papertiger2011.catsailor.org/index.html

C2 AUS 222 by Goodall design
"Darph Bobo"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Dazz] #198955
12/14/09 12:07 PM
12/14/09 12:07 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
Saturday I helped assemble 2 brand new spin rigged 420's for our kids sailing program. Sweet little boats, nicley rigged, and "some assembly required". Manuals are for pusses!

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #201063
01/22/10 10:05 PM
01/22/10 10:05 PM
S
Saint Thomas Cat Offline
stranger
Saint Thomas Cat  Offline
stranger
S

I went sailing and took my daughter with me. Encouraged at least three people to try to sail on a beach cat.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Saint Thomas Cat] #201104
01/23/10 02:16 PM
01/23/10 02:16 PM
Southern Ontario
fredsmith Offline
fredsmith  Offline

Southern Ontario
Started a web site for Canadian A Class sailors

http://home.mountaincable.net/~cececan51/

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: fredsmith] #201614
01/29/10 05:26 PM
01/29/10 05:26 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
old hand
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Very nice, everyone!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #202150
02/04/10 03:05 PM
02/04/10 03:05 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #203149
02/12/10 01:52 PM
02/12/10 01:52 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
My students and I watched the first race of the 33rd Americas Cup on a 72 in. SmartBoard. They were so into it they opted out of recess and asked if they could eat lunch in the classroom to see the finish. The cheers when USA-17 crossed the line were priceless.
We had been talking about force and motion, so this was a great way for them to see it in action. We talked about how lifting a hull reduces friction in the water and related it partly to BMW's win today. Maybe it inspired some future sailors. Who knows?
In a couple of weeks comes my "how pulleys work on a sailboat lesson", where they get to see my H16 up close, unfortunately on dry land.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: abbman] #203157
02/12/10 02:24 PM
02/12/10 02:24 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Awesome James.
Just make sure they know the difference between fast multis and monohulls.
Keep up the good work.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: abbman] #203179
02/13/10 04:07 AM
02/13/10 04:07 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great way to incorporate sailing with lessons about physics. Good job!!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #204191
02/23/10 06:23 PM
02/23/10 06:23 PM
West Virginia
Soapysails Offline
journeyman
Soapysails  Offline
journeyman

West Virginia
As most of you know, West Virginia has one Free sailing school set up for the new sailor. Sewell Mountain Sailing was able to help 65 people start on their road to being sailors in 2009. In 2010 our group has become better known, thanks in large part to the efforts of "Catamaran Sailor" We are now arranging even more FREE sailing classes for both Church Groups and from WV. schools like Marshall Univ. ! So to ask, What have I done today,is really to say, what have WE done today..Thanks Rick and Mary..

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Soapysails] #204212
02/23/10 09:45 PM
02/23/10 09:45 PM
Penfield NY
rturbett Offline
journeyman
rturbett  Offline
journeyman

Penfield NY
We set up a facebook site for the Shark Catamaran. This goes along with the forum spot that Rick set up for us here.
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32&page=1
Please feel free to stop by, chat,upload Shark photos, get building advice or look for replacement parts. We love keeping this class going- 50 years of consecutive nationals is coming up in a couple of years. The time to get your boat ready for it is now- or talk to us about getting a new one!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=460564555388

Rob Turbett

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: rturbett] #204295
02/25/10 03:22 AM
02/25/10 03:22 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Go 4 it Abbman, i still remember when my primary school teacher let us help setting up his land yacht!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #205009
03/06/10 03:40 PM
03/06/10 03:40 PM
P
ptenewitz Offline
stranger
ptenewitz  Offline
stranger
P

Thought we all should know America’s national flagship, the SS United States, is in imminent danger of being bought by scrappers

Web site for more info: http://ssunitedstatesconservancy.or...tates+Conservancy&form_charset=UTF-8

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ptenewitz] #205634
03/15/10 12:15 AM
03/15/10 12:15 AM
Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
popeyez7 Offline
popeyez7  Offline

Bernhards Bay, N.Y.
I took up ICE SAILING this year. Alotta fun & very fast. I built my own~ a DN class~ here it is on 'YouTube'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9AI5ICw3g Enjoy the ride.........

~17,18 Hobies,
~Jet boat~Speedster 150
~2 Kayaks~
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: popeyez7] #205693
03/15/10 01:59 PM
03/15/10 01:59 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Appeared to be too much snow, but you were still moving well.
Very cool,
Rick

Rick White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: John Williams] #206791
03/26/10 07:48 AM
03/26/10 07:48 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well done. It is heartening to see multihulls included.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Luiz] #207582
04/05/10 07:24 AM
04/05/10 07:24 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
I spend 3 hours Sunday morning rigging a Dart 16 given to the club by the RYA. It's been sitting near salt water with limited maintenance for a while and required quite a lot of tinkering to get in shape for the coming season.

There are two more in the parking lot needing some TLC...

BTW, our club now owns a fleet of cats for kid training:

* 6 Hobie Twixxy
* 4 Hobie Catsy (Those are so cute, 3.1m, 10 feet)
* 3 Dart 16

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: pepin] #207586
04/05/10 08:05 AM
04/05/10 08:05 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

very cool.
i never heard of those two hobies.. i looked em up.. very "cute" indeed smile

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #212611
06/04/10 02:03 PM
06/04/10 02:03 PM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
A couple of my very good cat sailing friends are teachers. Yesterday, we set up our cats and took three foreign exchange students from Jordan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, out sailing. They had a blast. Winds were perfect for first timers, about 8 to 12 mph. Lots of hull flying, spinnaker flying, trapeze flying, and laughs. They were very interested in finding ways to continue sailing when they get back home. All said that it was the highlight of their stay in the US.
Sail on guys!
My youngest son and his friend also came out and had a blast trapeze wrestling. I will make him a cat sailor yet!
After taking them all out, I went for the last run of the day solo. Threw up the spin, and flew a hull, trapped out, all the way across Lake Pleasant. There are very few things in this world that are better than that.
And it looks cool too. A couple of power boaters were noticing how much more fun I was having than them … as they ran circles around me.
You never know.

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: AzCat] #212629
06/04/10 04:36 PM
06/04/10 04:36 PM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I love that story, azcat.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #213757
06/14/10 08:48 AM
06/14/10 08:48 AM
Fulham S.Aust
Wannabe Offline
Wannabe  Offline

Fulham S.Aust
Mate of mine wanted to get into sailing but had limited funds and I was restoring an old 16ft mosquito catamaran when we spoke. Two days later I purchased another 16ft mosquito, finished the resto on the first boat and sold it to my mate incuring a heavy loss.
We now have a extra boat on the water and another sailor that is bitten by the sailing bug.
Motto: Sailing, once bitten you never recover.

Saw it on a cartoon once.....I'm pretty sure I can do it
Mozzie
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Wannabe] #213762
06/14/10 09:12 AM
06/14/10 09:12 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
I finally put my old Nacra 5.2 back in the water after two years of sitting unused in my front garden in various state of refurbishment.

It now proudly sits on the beach at the club and is available free of charge to anyone who want to participate in one of the racing series. It's been sailed quite a bit in the last two weeks, hopefully some will bite and join the fleet in some way or another.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: pepin] #213770
06/14/10 09:37 AM
06/14/10 09:37 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

very nice and generous (both Wannabe and Pepin)

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #214208
06/20/10 06:30 AM
06/20/10 06:30 AM
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

My sailing club had an open house on Saturday. 10-15 mph winds kept the small one-design monohulls off the water for guest rides. Just me on my Wave and the big keelboats taking visitors out. I took 7 groups out, including a mom with 2 kids, a dad with 3 kids, and another mom with 2 kids. Everyone got wet on a really hot day and had a blast! I know I recruited at least two families to the club, and imprinted the fun of sailing on a bunch of kids.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: IndyWave] #214727
06/27/10 12:29 AM
06/27/10 12:29 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
This week, got our seven Waves and six H-16's ready for Classes and Open Sailing. www.sailsandpoint.org

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #215283
07/05/10 09:02 AM
07/05/10 09:02 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
I'm going crazy trying to think of and address the details of RHYC's Junior Olympics Regatta next weekend ....

See Ya soon Caleb ....

Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #215891
07/14/10 10:15 AM
07/14/10 10:15 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
The Junior Olympics at RHYC was a resounding success ... 148 boats attending ... over 200 Youth competitors ... Optis, Lasers, 420's , H16's and Sailboards competing!!!!

All due to RHYC volunteers, Hobie Div11, Fun-in-the-Sun/Red Gear Racing, the HCA-NA, US Sailing, and countless other volunteers.

Thanks Everyone
Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #215895
07/14/10 11:10 AM
07/14/10 11:10 AM
Penfield NY
rturbett Offline
journeyman
rturbett  Offline
journeyman

Penfield NY
Shark rounding Statue ofLiberty

On July fourth, we took our Shark on the road to Sandy Hook Catamaran Club in New Jersey. We arrived at what I can only describe as Catamaran Heaven.
We had a lot of interest in the Shark while setting it up- a lot of "I've heard about Sharks but never seen one before" also, one gentleman came up, with a melancolic tear in his eye, and said " I haven't seen one of those in thirty years!"
We then set off to join 45 other assorted catamarans for a 40 mile race to the Statue of Liberty and back. To put things in perspective, at most races we sail around little inflatable yellow triangles. At Sandy Hook, they sail around THE STATUE OF LIBERTY! A very cool and patriotic way to spend the 4th of July.
On the start line, I joked to other boats asking what the rounding mark looked like. They told me to look for a tall statue that speaks with a French accent.
The race was wonderful. The Shark was perceived as a novelty, but once we got sailing, many realized we had a contending boat! Five miles into it a Hobie Tiger caught up to us, gave us a shout that we were really screaming along- they were paying a little too much attention to us as the next wave knocked them both off the trapeeze!
I could not have been more proud as we brought the boat on shore and waited for the rest of the fleet. In the next hour or two I kept hearing people say they thought the Shark won!
I knew better, as a couple of H16s finished close to us, but it felt great earning their respect. 4th place for us this year- 23 seconds from third place- that's about the time we spent taking photos of the Statue. We will definitely be back to try again.

Rob and Dawn Turbett

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: HMurphey] #215948
07/16/10 12:24 PM
07/16/10 12:24 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
The Rock Hall Junior Olympics, in Maryland was one of the best Regattas we have attended. Harry and Mark did an outstanding job to bring the Hobie 16's to take part in this Event. Special thanks to Jim Glanden who made the new Trophy, and loaned his H-16 to my grandson to race. The participation by the racers and their parents and friends was excellent.

For full details, pictures and results see http://www.rockhallyachtclub.org/jo/

Thanks to all.

Caleb and Dan Tarleton

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: H17cat] #217089
08/03/10 04:57 PM
08/03/10 04:57 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

http://calusablueway.com/

I signed up as a volunteer today. This is intened for canoes and kayaks but most of it is accessible by catamaran.

Access is a problem, for cats, but as I get into the job I'll mention our needs. You just never know...

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #218501
08/29/10 06:54 PM
08/29/10 06:54 PM
C
Coop's Cat Rescue Offline
stranger
Coop's Cat Rescue  Offline
stranger
C

Funny you should ask. I just finished the last bit of fiberglass work on a pair of Hobie 16's that my daughter and I have been restoring for quite some time. I hope to get her on the water before the Ohio summer fades and the snow plows ruin the roads again. I plan to hand one cat down to her and sell the other next spring. I want to make sure that I dont do anything to either that would keep them from being "class legal" in case the next owner wants to race. Any tips?? Do's / Dont's...?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Coop's Cat Rescue] #218689
09/01/10 01:39 AM
09/01/10 01:39 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
best to start a new topic for the restoration

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #220119
09/23/10 01:50 AM
09/23/10 01:50 AM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
Last weekend, the "Wet Kitty Catamaran Club" took a local Girl Scout troop out for a day on the water. Winds were low so the kids had a great time just hanging out on the traps and swimming. Most said they had a great time and would love to make it a yearly event. Were working on that.

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: AzCat] #220157
09/23/10 08:44 PM
09/23/10 08:44 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Last week: ressearched, bargained and indicated where to buy six new sails for the MNAs sailing school Optimists. Brought four new kids to the beginers course that started with spring.

Last month: donated rudder, daggerboard, sail, lines, etc. plus work to restaure the sailing school Laser.

Ongoing: restauring a SC15.

Future: build or buy youth cat for daughter, Opti for son and convince friends to build a wide winged cat with curved foils, about 72ft long... smile smile smile

Luiz
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Luiz] #220172
09/24/10 07:17 AM
09/24/10 07:17 AM
IndyWave Offline
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline
enthusiast

Our sailing club stumbled into the greatest promotion (and money maker) this summer, that I thought I'd share here.

There's an internet coupon service called "Groupon" which offers drastically discounted deals for one day only, emailed to their subscribers. Our membership chairman came up with the idea of selling "An Introduction to Sailing" 3-hour sailing lesson/experience, at "normally $100, discounted to ONLY $35" (the club to get $20 of that). He figured it might get 50 or 60 folks through the door. OVER 530 people bought it!

We've been scrambling all summer to get those folks on the water. I just took a couple out last night on my Wave, as the high winds were too much for the monohulls.

The format we use is: spend 1/2 hour rigging and describing the boat, 2 hours on the water (alternating skippers), then 1/2 hr putting the boat away. Simple enough?

It's pretty much the same thing we do for free at our open houses; but if you put a dollar value on it, and "sell" it at a discount, people will flock to it!

We made over $10,000 on the promotion, and have had over 50 "Groupers" then join the club to take the full two-week training class, about a dozen have bought boats, and more say they'll do it next year!

I'm not pushing Groupon, there are other similar companies out there, but if we can use an agency like that to promote sailing in an unexpected way, so can you!

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #220305
09/26/10 08:54 AM
09/26/10 08:54 AM
Stevensville, MD
G
GregJ Offline
stranger
GregJ  Offline
stranger
G

Stevensville, MD
I've been posting on forums trying to get a fleet started on the Eastern Bay and Miles River (Maryland). If anyone can suggest places to look/post to likely connect with local sailors, definitely let me know.

Greg
Nacra 5.2
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: ] #224476
11/20/10 10:22 PM
11/20/10 10:22 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Thanks to the over 30 volunteers that braved the cold weather and high winds to help put away the boats for the winter at Sail Sand Point in Seattle today.

Re: Philadelphia suggest the McNabb on how to do a good job [Re: ] #224912
12/04/10 10:53 AM
12/04/10 10:53 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...

Have Fun
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #226222
01/03/11 08:32 PM
01/03/11 08:32 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
I think that the coolest prize I have ever seen was in a golf tournament. The last place team all got a free lesson.

Eric

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: arbo06] #228844
02/19/11 01:56 PM
02/19/11 01:56 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Ladies, Gentlemen and most importantly Junior Sailors,

I have just recieved an E-Mail from Ms Marilyn Lennon/Commodore of Seaside Park Yacht Club ... SPYC has graciously offered their lovely facility as a launch point so a Junior Multihull Class (on H16's) can be included and compete in the Barneget Bay Yacht Racing Assoc's Junior Olympic Festival host by Island Hieghts Yacht Club and chaired by Mr Buzz Reynolds of IHYC, who has already agreed to include a Junior Multihull Class if a suitable launch site could be found. Now we have some details to work out ... but to borrow a familar phase ... "we are a go for launch!!!!!"

Harry

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: HMurphey] #230373
03/28/11 04:25 PM
03/28/11 04:25 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Sail Sand Point in Seattle has donated two Hobie 16's to Fun to Sail in Idaho. They will be fitted with Trapseats and used in their program for sailors with disabilites including wounded warriors, and Paralysed Vets of America.

Re: Philadelphia suggest the McNabb on how to do a good job [Re: catman] #232592
05/18/11 08:58 PM
05/18/11 08:58 PM
B
baocai Offline
stranger
baocai  Offline
stranger
B

I plan to hand one cat down to her and sell the other next spring.Funny you should ask.runescape gold
I just finished the last bit of fiberglass work on a pair of Hobie 16's that my daughter and I have rs gold been restoring for quite some time. I hope to get her on the water before the Ohio summer fades and the snow plows ruin the roads again.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #232601
05/19/11 01:26 AM
05/19/11 01:26 AM
P
pipat3 Offline
stranger
pipat3  Offline
stranger
P

Thank you ^^

Game CasinoOnline gambling on the
Casino Online new players, most popular is the game. Essentially random.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #237160
09/04/11 11:24 AM
09/04/11 11:24 AM
Arizona
AzCat Offline
enthusiast
AzCat  Offline
enthusiast

Arizona
Called a guy to buy his N5.0, and talked him into keeping it. I would rather have another sailor on the water than have another boat. I'm keeping in touch with him to make sure he makes it to the lake with myself or the local fleet. One at a time!

Auscat MKV 444 A class
NACRA I-20- 440/CATHATKA
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #237192
09/06/11 08:14 AM
09/06/11 08:14 AM
V
vapo083 Offline
stranger
vapo083  Offline
stranger
V

I_like_this_topic

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #238898
10/11/11 08:52 AM
10/11/11 08:52 AM
Baton Rouge, LA
Dean Offline
enthusiast
Dean  Offline
enthusiast

Baton Rouge, LA
Jeez. I just came from the "Drill, baby,..." posts. I haven't logged onto catsailor.com in years. So, I jumped off those old farts in that thread and into this one which sounded helpful, "What have you done for sailing today?" and the first thing I see is,
[Keep it positive please! Any negative comments and I will ask Rick and Mary to delete your post.]

Well, I was going to send my nephew a few links from this forum. Nevermind. Rick and Mary, you really need to cleanup this act and thin the herd.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #240245
11/17/11 04:06 PM
11/17/11 04:06 PM
Dunedin, FL
H
Headhunter Offline
journeyman
Headhunter  Offline
journeyman
H

Dunedin, FL
What have I done? Taken countless friends who had never seen a catamaran before out for rides. One bought a Stampede 20 the other just picked up a starter Prindle 16 today.

So yea - take your friends sailing. Do what you can to promote the sport you love.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #243704
02/08/12 12:18 PM
02/08/12 12:18 PM
W
Walls619 Offline
stranger
Walls619  Offline
stranger
W

Not so much sailing but did hook up two kids with my oldish wetsuits,and two board i dont ride anymore.Indentured servants,slaves to the sled.possible crew?

5.5sl-(muf-dvr)

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Walls619] #243885
02/11/12 12:48 AM
02/11/12 12:48 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
old hand
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
I haven't checked this thread for a while, and I'm glad that it's still going. Good for everyone for giving their time and hard-earned $$ for the benefit of sailing! Onya!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #244379
02/20/12 05:03 PM
02/20/12 05:03 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
Went to someones house, Helped them rig and set up a boat they had never sailed. now we have another H-18 ready to sail.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #244544
02/22/12 09:09 PM
02/22/12 09:09 PM
W
Walls619 Offline
stranger
Walls619  Offline
stranger
W

I launched my 5.5sl for the first time ! took it easy for 20 minutes 2-up the balance is what i couldnt get over. After my 5.2 last year(summer) the 5.5 loves two on the wire.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #244545
02/22/12 09:13 PM
02/22/12 09:13 PM
W
Walls619 Offline
stranger
Walls619  Offline
stranger
W

I hooked myself today!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Walls619] #244548
02/22/12 10:12 PM
02/22/12 10:12 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I taught twelve kids and their teacher from a local school how to sail last week. It was a four day class. The teacher liked it so much she's going to join our YC.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #246316
03/28/12 07:45 AM
03/28/12 07:45 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Working with some college kids, getting them familiar with cats.

I'm learning from them so I'm probably getting more than I'm giving.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: hobie1616] #246838
04/09/12 09:48 PM
04/09/12 09:48 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Would that be Lahaina Yacht Club?

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: catandahalf] #246841
04/09/12 10:07 PM
04/09/12 10:07 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Would that be Lahaina Yacht Club?

It would.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #248431
05/16/12 03:58 AM
05/16/12 03:58 AM
M
MacBotdorf Offline
stranger
MacBotdorf  Offline
stranger
M

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: MacBotdorf] #248598
05/18/12 06:48 PM
05/18/12 06:48 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Got three Hobie 16's ready for sale at Sail Sand Point, Seattle,
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3023493444.html

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: MacBotdorf] #248599
05/18/12 06:51 PM
05/18/12 06:51 PM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
duplicate

Last edited by H17cat; 05/18/12 10:42 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #249260
06/05/12 05:21 PM
06/05/12 05:21 PM
C
Creative Offline
stranger
Creative  Offline
stranger
C

Last edited by Creative; 06/06/12 02:57 PM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Creative] #249991
06/25/12 10:35 AM
06/25/12 10:35 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

This past saturday at Put-in-Bay Yacht Club our Wave Fleet put on a FREE Learn to Sail Clinic from 9-5 on 10 of our privately owned Waves. Five of the class sailors coached. We got 19 students to attend.., all but two had little or no experience. It was tough but by day's end they were all able sail upwind, reach and sail downwind with success.
I admitted to them in debriefing that we had ulterior motives -- we wanted them to get so interested in sailing they would not only join the club, but buy a Wave and join the fleet.
Many were interested.

Rick White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: RickWhite] #249998
06/25/12 11:40 AM
06/25/12 11:40 AM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
Congrats!

I will be in Put in Bay on July 2nd. Anything going on then?

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #254362
11/06/12 01:00 AM
11/06/12 01:00 AM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
Going to the Philippines to teach sailing at a resort. I have 2 months to train crews to sail 4 F-18's and 3 F-18 rigged H-18's. When completed you will be able to go there rent a bungalo on the beach and have a boat to sail or have a guide sail you if your a novice.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Creative] #255281
11/28/12 04:23 AM
11/28/12 04:23 AM
The Netherlands
Arjan13 Offline
journeyman
Arjan13  Offline
journeyman

The Netherlands
Nice video's... I see a lot of swimming :-) What kind of boat is that (yes Hobbie, but...)I never have seen such a small one.

We also started last season with a camara. See underneath one of our movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKB_8Ng49A

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #257253
02/11/13 12:38 AM
02/11/13 12:38 AM
Greenville SC
bacho Offline
old hand
bacho  Offline
old hand

Greenville SC
I took a young guy out that I met when I offered a free hobie 17 on Craigslist. He hadn't ever seen another beach cat on the water or know a think about sailing. He bought a boat and rented books from the library to get started. We spent the afternoon working on some techniques on the i20, I think we will see him in the local group some.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: bacho] #257257
02/11/13 06:42 AM
02/11/13 06:42 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I coached the Upper Keys Sailing Club Youth Team on Lasers for their big regatta with over 100 boats. Of the three, we got a 2nd in 4.7 and 4th in the Radial Lasers
Rick

Rick White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: RickWhite] #257528
02/15/13 02:46 PM
02/15/13 02:46 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just finished our first juniors class of the year.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #258392
03/18/13 06:07 AM
03/18/13 06:07 AM
K
konglo Offline
stranger
konglo  Offline
stranger
K

Surf City Catamarans.
These people generously donated to our regatta and our raffle helped to make the event a success. We put the sponsor logos ____________________________________

Last edited by RickWhite; 07/30/15 10:34 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #258565
03/26/13 11:47 AM
03/26/13 11:47 AM
San Diego
H
hokie Offline
hokie  Offline
H

San Diego
Craig Williams was the sole fatality of the tragic sailing accident off the shore of San Clemente Island, a crew member onboard the Uncontrollable Urge during The Island's Offshore Race from Newport Beach to San Diego. Craig was a beloved husband with a 2 year old daughter, Claire, and one on the way.

The sailing community is one of the best, and the support has been amazing.

http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-f...Williams-husband-father-and-friend/46040

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #258973
04/16/13 07:18 AM
04/16/13 07:18 AM
New York
A
anddrevw Offline
stranger
anddrevw  Offline
stranger
A

New York
The day before yesterday, I took a friend out sailing a Valk sailboat and we all enjoy very much all the long.The thing I specially learn was that how to select a best quality foam mattress for rest purposes during sailing.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #259548
05/12/13 12:08 PM
05/12/13 12:08 PM
35Jim Offline
stranger
35Jim  Offline
stranger

On a different topic ... How can I start a new thread on Hobie 3.5s? I recently came into possession of one and apparently they are pretty rare. Most sailors have never heard of them. In fact, I'm not really sure that a 3.5 is what I have. All I know is that it's a Hobie and only 11 ft long. I'm new to this site and to sailing really, except for a nearly disastrous sailing experience off Mazatlan, Mexico in 1971 aboard a 37 ft Schock built sloop.

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: 35Jim] #259565
05/13/13 06:01 AM
05/13/13 06:01 AM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

When you open the Open Forum there are tow tabs at the top. the one on the left is for NEW TOPIC

Rick White
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: RickWhite] #264638
09/23/13 01:04 AM
09/23/13 01:04 AM
Kaneohe Bay
D
Dray Offline
journeyman
Dray  Offline
journeyman
D

Kaneohe Bay
And now back to the subject:
OK where do I start? Kokokahi Sailing Club had our annual SandBar regatta this weekend which consists of buoy races on Saturday and a long distance race on Sunday. I've been running and participating when I can in this regatta for some 15 years now and I think I finally have enough knowledgable volunteers to handle the whole regatta. I can now just oversee the well oiled machine. I still did some of the fun stuff like the shirt design and oversee the whole shebang.
So, heres what I've done for sailing lately: lined up crew for two separate boats (one crew was a guy who called me a week ago interested in our club). Since it was blowing 22MPH on Saturday I went around to each skipper and notified them it was their decision if they want to sail in these conditions (all went out), we had a Hobie Tiger pitchpole twice and a Supercat 20 flip once. both times skippers checked to see if the crews were ok before continuing.
Sundays conditions were much nicer at 17MPH but I did mention at the skippers meeting, there are no chase boats so keep an eye out for your fellow sailors. Well a boat was dismasted way out on the course and three of the 14 boats came to the rescue.
A Hobie 21 ended up towing the boat back to the club. And as commodore I made the executive decision to award the H21 skipper first place (which gets to choose from the pile of prizes first)for his unselfish deed to drop out and tow the other boat back.
Lots of stories after both days of racing, prizes for both days.
So, Actually our small group of sailors all did something for sailing today.
Dan Williams, Commodore
Kokokahi Sailing Club
www.Kokokahi-sc.org

NACRA Dealer
NACRA Infusion "sailing"
Hobie Tiger "sold"
Hobie 20 "sold"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #266643
11/03/13 02:54 PM
11/03/13 02:54 PM
Plum Island, MA
hogwldfltr Offline
stranger
hogwldfltr  Offline
stranger

Plum Island, MA
OK, first post here! It's been two weeks since I last had the opportunity to sail. It won't break out of the 40s today and the warmest day among my upcoming days off may make it into the upper 50s. Friday I got a new set of sails for the Hobie 16 and I'm anxious to rig them and try them out. So for today I managed to stay off the water and not give us sailors a bad name by getting into trouble as the only boat out on the Merrimack. Heading down the home stretch to Thanksgiving I likely won't get to sail any more this year.

Hobie 14T, 16
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #268975
01/31/14 12:57 PM
01/31/14 12:57 PM
Texas
T
TexasTuma Offline
TexasTuma  Offline
T

Texas
For sailing.... I am giving up several beatiful 65-75 degree weekends to rebuild the Wednesday Night Sailboat Races (which I run/own) on Clear Lake, TX committee boat deck. The boat had plywood covered with carpet and was sagging pretty bad after only 2 years. Through January, our area runs an Icicle Series which has averaged 40-50 mono-morans... I will not be able to get out much before March (unless I get a lot of work done), but I may sneak out on the next 75 degree weekday...

With the races, I formed a beginner class that limits the helmsman to less than 5 years of racing experience. The crew is encouraged to be novice as well, but an experienced crew can sail, but cannot touch any controls; just coach. We had an average of 4-5 boats for the year with about a dozen boats overall that raced in the class. I am encouraged this class will build.

Cheers...
Scott Tuma
P 18-2 Mod Turbo "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #269347
02/13/14 08:17 PM
02/13/14 08:17 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
I attended the Catamaran Racing Association of Wisconsin's Winter Party/meeting last weekend at Kurt Korte's house.

www.craw.org

I intend to make all, or nearly all of the regattas on the schedule this year, including either the GT300 in June, or the F18 Nats. in October- both in TX, maybe both!

So I'm saying I'm simply staying involved with my local club, and attending Regatta's- and I feel that's what I'm doing for sailing. Without people actually attending and sailing- it doesn't work. ;-)

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Todd_Sails] #269603
02/21/14 03:36 PM
02/21/14 03:36 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
This count? smile

Hobie full page ad in Sports Illustrated 50th anniversary edition:

Last edited by Damon Linkous; 08/31/17 03:29 AM.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #269711
02/25/14 08:31 PM
02/25/14 08:31 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Yes. Yes it does!!!!!

Mike

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #269824
03/04/14 08:01 AM
03/04/14 08:01 AM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
We've already arranged for our Fleet insurance and our beach site on Lake Erie and we were expecting to open at the beginning of May. Unfortunately, Lake Erie is completely iced over and we think there will still be ice there. We may have a June opening for our Buffalo NY club instead: wnycatamaran.org

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: mmiller] #269996
03/08/14 12:20 AM
03/08/14 12:20 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I just noticed the boats.
Originally Posted by mmiller
This count? smile

Hobie full page ad in Sports Illustrated 50th anniversary edition:

Last edited by Damon Linkous; 08/31/17 03:28 AM.
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #274386
08/04/14 11:02 AM
08/04/14 11:02 AM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
Took an Air Force S. Airman who was returning from oversees, and being re deployed to Guam sailing. Him and his dad had never been and wanted to go. Just got this thank you letter.

Hey Rich,

Sorry it's taken so long to send you a thank you, but better late than never. It was quite a whirlwind while Michael was here visiting, and as much getting back to normal now that he's gone.

Just wanted to thank you again for taking us out sailing. That was something I had never done before and it was amazing. Hanging over the edge on a trapeze line isn't something you do in everyday life. Really gets the juices going. Certainly a "big" check mark on the ol' bucket list.

Huge fun on a gorgeous day, thanks again.

Tim and Mike

write up here for the 15th.
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/capricornusa/

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #276939
01/10/15 05:59 PM
01/10/15 05:59 PM
Brisbane Queensland- Australia
Q
Qb2 Offline
Qb2  Offline
Q

Brisbane Queensland- Australia
Thought I would help promote the Australian A Class Nationals held 3-9 January at Lake Cootharaba, near Noosa, Queensland.
Photos and shaky videos here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36935876@N02/

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #277721
02/25/15 12:55 PM
02/25/15 12:55 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
I looked over this website, while my F18 sits outside, with a foot of snow on the ground.
Think'n about GT300 2015!

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #278407
04/15/15 10:48 PM
04/15/15 10:48 PM
Tim594 Offline
stranger
Tim594  Offline
stranger

I brought back a hobie fleet! 134 smile
My H20 and 16 far left. 6 other cats couldn't make the weekend to take pics. Damon and I were the only active cat sailors here 5 years ago.
http://deltasailing.com/

Tim Grover
Memphis TN

Hobie 16
Hobie 18
Hobie 20
Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #279241
05/28/15 03:19 PM
05/28/15 03:19 PM
S
soulsailor Offline
journeyman
soulsailor  Offline
journeyman
S

I have a group of Hobies i sail with they use to be Fleet 466.. Some are coming back, watch my videos subscribe to my channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdLxIZROmY

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #279594
06/24/15 08:43 PM
06/24/15 08:43 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
Decided to restore a 33 yr old G-Cat. Purchased almost $300 worth of fiberglass materials from a local shop. Keeping local businesses going. Can't wait to get back in the water and keep catamaran sailing active in Palm Beach County.

Last edited by TheManShed; 06/24/15 08:43 PM.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #280275
08/20/15 10:01 AM
08/20/15 10:01 AM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Taking people sailing on SunFish, at a small lake in N. WI.
Getting some of them to go at it themselves also!

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #282147
03/10/16 03:34 PM
03/10/16 03:34 PM
M
Marino13 Offline
stranger
Marino13  Offline
stranger
M

Hi There
I am learning the basics for sailing in a 27feet catamaran
I have a question , is it possible to sail with ONLY the mainsail and without the jib sail?
Im asking because there is good wind at Mayan Riviera Mexico
but the Catamaran has no jib sail for now
thank you very much

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: SurfCityRacing] #282286
03/28/16 09:34 AM
03/28/16 09:34 AM
Abaco, Bahamas
T
Tingum Offline
stranger
Tingum  Offline
stranger
T

Abaco, Bahamas
Have not visited this forum in years, just posted for Hobie 21 parts. Sad day just took the boat apart and stored it after the winter season, located in Abaco Bahamas. Headed back to the states for the summer

Re: What have you done for SAILING today? [Re: Tingum] #283023
07/08/16 12:21 PM
07/08/16 12:21 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

[Linked Image]

Just finished four one week classes for kids. Sixteen sailors every week.

US Sail Level 3 Coach
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 237 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022