Hop To
Wave or H16? #18154
03/31/03 08:54 PM
03/31/03 08:54 PM
Titusville, Florida
Gus Offline OP
Gus  Offline OP

Titusville, Florida
Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for your advice if you can help.

I've been a "once in a while" sailor since a kid, but now I have kids of my own. This is my dilema...

I'm a big guy (~250 lbs.) and I have 3 kids, and girl friend that want to sail with me. I now own a 14' mono hull, but want to upgrade to a cat. The cat being better in the shallow Indian River waterway.

That was then...I owned a H14, but with me and 2 kids it would almost sink. I owned a H16, but my skill level was shakey and my kids were too young to help me step the mast. Then I owned a Sunfish, and that was a lot of fun, but it would only hold 1 other sailor.

This is now...I am reconsidering an H16 or a Hobie Wave. My kids are now a bit older, and my married daughter has since become an avid H16 sailor. I am still a bit nervous about the power of an H16, but I figure I can outfit it in balmy breezes with the old H14 sail I still own. Can anyone make a recommendation of the Hobie Wave for me and my cirsumstance? Or should I bite the bullet and get a 16 and grow into it? I would also like to get a firm grip on carrying capacity of all of these craft if anyone has an idea.

Thanks for reading, and I welcome all replies.

Gus

--Advertisement--
Wave and Wave Add-On Will Work! [Re: Gus] #18155
04/02/03 09:03 AM
04/02/03 09:03 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Hi Gus,
I would highly recommend the Wave for a number of reasons:
1) It is the fastest growing class in the world and has a solid class association behind it (Class Association is International Hobie Wave Class Assn -- IHWCA, Web Site is http://www.waveclass.org(not NAHCA where all classes die for being on their back burner)
2) It is a great youth boat, and a great adult boat, being able to hold up to four adults and still sail pretty well.
3) It is hard to capsize and yet very easy to right
4) The Class holds two major events per year -- the Nationals are held the first weekend in December yearly in Key Largo, FL, and the North Americans are held in various spots annually in the summer time. Awards are given to Open, Women, Youth and Masters.
5) The class also has a series of regattas scattered around the country that make up the Wave National Series Championship.
6) I have done the Research and Development of an Add-On Kit for the Wave that adds a Hooter System (roller-furling spinnaker), blade jib and trapeze wire that makes the boat equal in speed to a Hobie 16. So, if your kids get bored with the uni Wave, just snap on the Add-On Kit and you have a hot cat as well. It is a great platform. And the kit gives the kids all the strings they would pull, if they were sailing a Olympic Tornado.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Wave and Wave Add-On Will Work! [Re: RickWhite] #18156
04/04/03 12:34 AM
04/04/03 12:34 AM
Titusville, Florida
Gus Offline OP
Gus  Offline OP

Titusville, Florida
Thanks Rick. I took my first Wave ride today. I went out on a Getaway, then the Wave with an instructor and had a great time.

When I stepped up to the Getaway I was immediatly intimidated with its size and sail area. I'm not ready for that kind of power yet. After a few tacks we came back and swapped it for the Wave. I felt immediatly comfortable and was ready to take the helm. After about 10 minutes I dropped the instructor off on to shore and he told me to go out by myself. I did not hesitate a bit. It was a blast.

The wind was at the max about 10 knots and I got to experience a hull starting to rise and it just kept getting better. By far the most secure feeling I had was not having to deal with that 6 foot tiller as on the Getaway. I guess that is one thing from monos that I might have a hard time getting used to on a Getaway or 16 - dealing with the sheets and flipping the tiller around the back everytime I switch tacks. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Used ones are few and far between, and this will be my first new vehicle of anykind. Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out again.

gus

Re: Wave and Wave Add-On Will Work! [Re: RickWhite] #18157
04/04/03 12:38 AM
04/04/03 12:38 AM
Titusville, Florida
Gus Offline OP
Gus  Offline OP

Titusville, Florida
I'm very interested in what you said below, and it seem like the Hooter would be a good add on. On the run today I had some spare time and hands that could have been handling a spinaker.

gus

6) I have done the Research and Development of an Add-On Kit for the Wave that adds a Hooter System (roller-furling spinnaker), blade jib and trapeze wire that makes the boat equal in speed to a Hobie 16. So, if your kids get bored with the uni Wave, just snap on the Add-On Kit and you have a hot cat as well. It is a great platform. And the kit gives the kids all the strings they would pull, if they were sailing a Olympic Tornado.

Re: Wave and Wave Add-On Will Work! [Re: RickWhite] #18158
04/19/03 09:03 PM
04/19/03 09:03 PM
G
gtate4 Offline
stranger
gtate4  Offline
stranger
G

I want a Wave Hooter. Please. Are you ready to ship them? thx

Re: Wave and Wave Add-On Will Work! [Re: gtate4] #18159
04/20/03 04:20 PM
04/20/03 04:20 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Should be very soon. I now have two suppliers working on it and the one that does it first, wins. And then, so do we.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Wave or H16? - End of discussion! [Re: Gus] #18160
04/22/03 09:45 PM
04/22/03 09:45 PM
Titusville, Florida
Gus Offline OP
Gus  Offline OP

Titusville, Florida
Well guys I bought my Wave today, and its perfect. I took my 12 yr old out on the maiden voyage. Its amazing how fast the Wave can stop when a kid drags his 2 legs over the bow! Then my girlfriend showed up with her daughter and they both went out with me in their work and school clothes. What good sports! I love this boat. Thanks for the advice, I hope to meet some of you at local events.

Gus in Titusville.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 642 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022