I think I've made up my mind. Yesterday Scott the owner of a local sail shop (Performance Sail, Melbourne, FL) took me out on a brand new Getaway and Wave. From the get go, I was intimidated by the Getaway. The massive hulls and sail reaching up to the sky blew me away. We took it out, and I had him run the boat. One thing I really dislike is the long long tiller on these larger cats. It is so awkward for me to maneuver the boat while worrying about getting tangled in the sheets and around that 6 foot stick.

When we came back, we immediately stepped onto the Wave. On this significantly smaller boat I had no hesitation. I immediately told Scott, "I can do this one!" He showed me a few things on the water then we came back and I dropped him off on shore. Then I proceeded to take it out for another 30 minutes or so. I felt so comfortable. In about a 10 knot breeze, I almost approached getting up on one hull a few times. I really love that boat. Since he and I did not even come close to sinking the windward hull with our combined weight of ~425 lbs., and it still zipped along, I have little doubt that me and my 140 lb. girlfriend won't give it much problem. Besides as I think about it, I imagine it will probably be me plus one other 50% of the time, me solo 25%, and me plus 3 - 25%. I can live with that.

In time, I probably will grow into a 16 or larger, but I just don't think I'm ready yet.

gus