12/06/09 10:30 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Originally Posted by Mary
All the past Cuba runs I know about have been done on Hobie 16's.
Yeah just like the Worrell 1000s, but who in there right mind will do that AGAIN today?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #198349
12/06/09 12:40 PM
12/06/09 12:40 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

I haven't, however over the 18 years I had that boat I put through hell. Buoys, distance. It was sailed almost daily for the first two years I had it. Crashing through waves with five people on board with two on the wire. The mid 80's boats had problems with the hulls as the pic's show. It's not the fastest or the best design but if I was going to do the race I would feel quite confidant on it.

Have Fun
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: catman] #198353
12/06/09 01:51 PM
12/06/09 01:51 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Catman,

I understand your point. Having sailed many boats, I've seen and heard of boats having widespread, or common problems, etc. Even the boats I've owned, etc.

I haven't checked the average prevailing winds for that area and that time of year. Those that have, what's common? Either direction be able to carry the chute, etc?

I have the experience with offshore distance races, experience crewing or driving with the kite up, long distances, buoys, etc. My current fitness level is great. I have the gear, and the money for my part, etc.

If I buy another boat, than I need crew who can do what I'm offering to do.

If anyone is interested, I'm @ 160#'s, etc.
Todd Bouton
Todd_Sails@yahoo.com

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Robi] #198358
12/06/09 02:43 PM
12/06/09 02:43 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Robi,

Why are you "dissing" my favorite boat ... do you have something against a TheMightyHobie18??? I'll take a TheMightyHobie18 ANYTIME, ANYWHERE ... it is one tough boat and has brought me home safely EVERYTIME!!!! And yes most of that sailing has been off of "Atlantic Open Ocean" beaches. A TheMightyHobie18 was the first beach cat to transit the Atlantic on it's own bottoms (by two crazy frenchman) .... it is the only beach cat to transit the "Northwest Passage" also.

So you are dissing a very capable "clunker" ..... slowwer then a F18 or a N20, Yes ... but very capable!!!!

If the gentlemen in question wants a boat w/ "racks", it's either the H18SE w/ Magnum wings ... or the H21SE (which has wings) and spinnacker. And then there is the Mystere' 6.0 w/ wings also. The P19 and Nacra 5.8/6.0 all had a factory "wing" option availible but I never saw one installed and sailed. Only on boats at the A.C. Boat Show years ago and the wings looked fragile.

Ask Robbie Daniels about his years of racing a H21SE .... heavy, yes, but big strong and durable .....

And remember ... to finish first ... first you have to finish. I think this event will not be about pure boat speed ... but more about survival!!!!

Harry Murphey

PS: I would carry a "hand" bilge pump on board. A lesson/trick I learned from Mr Rick Bliss. Not a bad idea ... right Mr Todd????

Last edited by HMurphey; 12/06/09 02:49 PM.
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: HMurphey] #198361
12/06/09 04:20 PM
12/06/09 04:20 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
We love Hobie 18s!

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: HMurphey] #198362
12/06/09 04:48 PM
12/06/09 04:48 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Originally Posted by HMurphey
Robi,

Why are you "dissing" my favorite boat ... do you have something against a TheMightyHobie18??? I'll take a TheMightyHobie18 ANYTIME, ANYWHERE ... it is one tough boat and has brought me home safely EVERYTIME!!!! And yes most of that sailing has been off of "Atlantic Open Ocean" beaches. A TheMightyHobie18 was the first beach cat to transit the Atlantic on it's own bottoms (by two crazy frenchman) .... it is the only beach cat to transit the "Northwest Passage" also.

So you are dissing a very capable "clunker" ..... slowwer then a F18 or a N20, Yes ... but very capable!!!!

If the gentlemen in question wants a boat w/ "racks", it's either the H18SE w/ Magnum wings ... or the H21SE (which has wings) and spinnacker. And then there is the Mystere' 6.0 w/ wings also. The P19 and Nacra 5.8/6.0 all had a factory "wing" option availible but I never saw one installed and sailed. Only on boats at the A.C. Boat Show years ago and the wings looked fragile.

Ask Robbie Daniels about his years of racing a H21SE .... heavy, yes, but big strong and durable .....

And remember ... to finish first ... first you have to finish. I think this event will not be about pure boat speed ... but more about survival!!!!

Harry Murphey

PS: I would carry a "hand" bilge pump on board. A lesson/trick I learned from Mr Rick Bliss. Not a bad idea ... right Mr Todd????
You know a lot of things in life are capable. I am sure people are capable of rowing across the pacific does it mean its safe? The Hobie 18 is perfectly capable, is it safe? HELL NO, any hobie 18 will be old and weathered, unless someone really overhauls that particular boat, it is NOT a good idea for such a crossing on a Hobie 18 or even a Hobie 16.

I know what I am capable of, I know my safety limits and one thing is for SURE, you will never catch me on a hobie 18 attempting such a thing.

To each its own. What bothers me is when people do not properly prepare and then expect my fellow Guardians to put there lives on the line for them. Just a few months ago we lost SEVEN folks, that is SEVEN, fathers, mothers, brothers sisters etc you name it while they were searching for a missing sailing vessel.

A good amount of years back a HH65 flew into a cliff off San Fracisco while looking for an overdue sailing that vessel that the next morning showed up at anchor.

The Coast Guard should NOT save stupidity and crossing from Key West to Cuba in a Hobie 14/16/18/ is plain STUPID.

The right boat for the right race. There is a reason why the Tybee is only limited to N20s and F18s.

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Robi] #198364
12/06/09 05:07 PM
12/06/09 05:07 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Robi
any hobie 18 will be old and weathered

That is an overly broad statement, as Stephen Cooley will undoubtedly inform you.

Hobie 18's were available new up until a couple of years ago, and new hulls are being manufactured this spring.

ANY catamaran in anything but near-new condition has no business in this race.

Other than the difference in offwind speed, there's no reason why a Hobie 16 couldn't do this, just as they did the Worrell 1000 thirty-five years ago - without engaging the services of the US Coast Guard.
[Linked Image]

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: mbounds] #198365
12/06/09 05:24 PM
12/06/09 05:24 PM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
I think the thing that makes the crossing more dangerous is doing it as a "race." If you do it in "cruise" mode, where you pick the best weather time and all the boats stay together and watch out for each other, or have a buddy system or something, it would be a lot safer. Do the triangle racing in Cuba, and then cruise back together as a fleet.

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Mary] #198370
12/06/09 07:24 PM
12/06/09 07:24 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Matt,

Who is that on the wire????

It sure looks like a (much) younger Wally ....

Harry Murphey

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: HMurphey] #198373
12/06/09 08:21 PM
12/06/09 08:21 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by HMurphey
Matt,

Who is that on the wire????

It sure looks like a (much) younger Wally ....

Harry Murphey

It's not Wally.

I'm not sure who it is, but the driver is almost certainly Mike Worrell.

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Robi] #198376
12/06/09 11:56 PM
12/06/09 11:56 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline
addict

Graham, NC
A Hobie 18 with a spin is capable of making this crossing. Any boat or skipper/crew can fail. The 18 fitted with a spin is a curved crossbar away from qualifying as an F18, the rear beam meets the rule. What you ride the most is what you trust the most, my old TheMightyHobie18 is more than capable of making this voyage!

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: mbounds] #198377
12/07/09 12:07 AM
12/07/09 12:07 AM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Originally Posted by mbounds

[Linked Image]

"*This event is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Hobie Class Assoc."

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: ejpoulsen] #198396
12/07/09 10:08 AM
12/07/09 10:08 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I would agree that making it a "race" adds another layer of complexity and hazard than "cruise". But two boats together rarely "cruise".... smile

Given average conditions on the proposed route, what would be the minimum reasonable craft that could make the journey in the designated time period?

I guess it would be ideal to have boats with similar capabilities, in order to keep the "fleet" in reasonable proximity to the support craft.

And I agree with Robi, I don't believe that our tax money should be spent bailing out the reckless and/or foolish who venture into something wholely unprepared. I know it happens, but I still don't like it..

Jay

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: waterbug_wpb] #198404
12/07/09 10:32 AM
12/07/09 10:32 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Right now, my concerns stem mostly from the organizers. In a recent article in SA, it was stated that there are already 33 teams signed up. Who are these teams and where did they sign up? There is nothing on the website regarding registering. Also, the use of a Hobie 33 is a concern. A boat that will not be able to keep up with the fleet under power of under sail will not be much of a chase boat.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: ksurfer2] #198422
12/07/09 11:53 AM
12/07/09 11:53 AM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
+1 plus i'd want to see a letter from someone in the government granting us permission to go.
Also... I think maybe the event should be stretched out a day on each side so that there is the oppurtunity to postpone for a weather window. That way if it's looking sketchy they can change.

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: Robi] #198426
12/07/09 12:05 PM
12/07/09 12:05 PM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't know for sure but since you choose the N-20 and F-18"s I guess we have to ask. These boats never break? I've read about the bow tangs failing on N-20's. You can't furl the jib on these boat to shorten sail if needed.

What are the chances of a plastic sail surviving during a capsize if someone lands in it? Zero from experience. On the H-18 I would aim for it, never had a failure.

Like I said I don't want to turn this into a boat thing. You can make a case for or against any boat.

Just so we understand. "Open Ocean" to me doesn't mean coastal sailing/ racing in the Gulf, Atlantic, etc. To me it means out of sight and simple communication with land. I have been on the open ocean sailing/racing Mono's.

How many people here have true open ocean experience on cats?

Just thinking, Hans sailed to Mexico from Florida two different times on a G-5.7. Would that boat qualify to make the passage?

I agree with you about the dangers of the race. Like anything be prepared as best as you can and then cross your fingers. Hopefully the organizers will plan for chase boats to shadow the fleet.

Remember, you choose that line of work. Taking to the Sea or Air for any reason presents dangers.
I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't agree with you when you speak of the dangers of your job and I sincerely thank you and your kind.

Have Fun
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: catman] #198429
12/07/09 12:38 PM
12/07/09 12:38 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I've read about the bow tangs failing on N-20's. You can't furl the jib on these boat to shorten sail if needed.

I've read of exactly one breaking on these forums. Its certainly not a pandemic. N20's are subject to all the regular causes of boat failure. Poor maintenance, reckless abuse, catastrophic accidents do not escape the 20 or the F18s.

What they do give is a balance of performance, seaworthiness, and reliability. The reasons I have for thinking that the TheMightyHobie18 is not well suited to this race has to do with the fact that its simply not up to par in the performance meter with the other competitive boats.

If the event turns into more of a race than a rally, and the organizers get more than a pigboat Hobie 33 as a chase boat, then I'll seriously consider doing this race. (if it even happens, which I put at 50/50)

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: catman] #198432
12/07/09 01:05 PM
12/07/09 01:05 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by catman
I don't know for sure but since you choose the N-20 and F-18"s I guess we have to ask. These boats never break? I've read about the bow tangs failing on N-20's. You can't furl the jib on these boat to shorten sail if needed.

What are the chances of a plastic sail surviving during a capsize if someone lands in it? Zero from experience. On the H-18 I would aim for it, never had a failure.

Like I said I don't want to turn this into a boat thing. You can make a case for or against any boat.

Just so we understand. "Open Ocean" to me doesn't mean coastal sailing/ racing in the Gulf, Atlantic, etc. To me it means out of sight and simple communication with land. I have been on the open cean sailing/racing Mono's.

Just thinking, Hans sailed to Mexico from Florida two different times on a G-5.7. Would that boat qualify to make the passage?

I agree with you about the dangers of the race. Like anything be prepared as best as you can and then cross your fingers. Hopefully the organizers will plan for chase boats to shadow the fleet.

Remember, you choose that line of work. Taking to the Sea or Air for any reason presents dangers.
I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't agree with you when you speak of the dangers of your job and I sincerely thank you and your kind.

Exactly why I question the choice of chase boats for this event, and why I have already arranged for a chase boat of my own.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: That Cuban Run [Re: ksurfer2] #198436
12/07/09 01:31 PM
12/07/09 01:31 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Exactly why I question the choice of chase boats for this event, and why I have already arranged for a chase boat of my own.

I think that's the only way I'd do it, but I don't have much experience on big water, and I'm a bit of a pussy.

Re: That Cuban Run [Re: ksurfer2] #198439
12/07/09 01:48 PM
12/07/09 01:48 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Originally Posted by catman

Just so we understand. "Open Ocean" to me doesn't mean coastal sailing/ racing in the Gulf, Atlantic, etc. To me it means out of sight and simple communication with land. I have been on the open cean sailing/racing Mono's.

Karl, if I do this race, will you be my chase boat? grin

Jake Kohl
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022