02/16/10 06:41 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Undecided
Everything coming out of the BMWO press machine says that Jake is right. They aren't rushing to release what they'll race in, where they'll race or when they'll race. They want to get a consensus of the viable AC teams together and see what they want.

While "Uncle Larry" might be a dickhead to work for and in the business world - he was the guy who put an end to the SNG/Alinghi shenanigans. He knows damn well that the sailing community is now going to hold his feet to the fire like they did to Ernesto.

We will see, Ernesto said the same thing when he took the cup from the Kiwi's how it will be better and fair and blah blah blah.

You both under estimate Mr. Ellison, but hey I could be completely wrong he could be in it just for the love of the game, maybe he won't use the power and influence his money generates to tip the scales in his favor. Maybe, he'll even impose a spending cap, 2 billion maybe I mean we do want try and keep some of the rif raf out of the cup don't we?

Last edited by David Ingram; 02/16/10 06:52 PM.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: America's Cup Race #2 on Sunday [Re: David Ingram] #203648
02/16/10 06:49 PM
02/16/10 06:49 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
so so so sad that Curling is on major network TV but the AC couldn't even be on some PPV cable channel. Pathetic

edit:
ok... it is women's curling which I figure might have some merit... but still smile

Last edited by PTP; 02/16/10 06:55 PM.
Re: America's Cup Race #2 on Sunday [Re: PTP] #203651
02/16/10 06:59 PM
02/16/10 06:59 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by PTP
so so so sad that Curling is on major network TV but the AC couldn't even be on some PPV cable channel. Pathetic

Curling costs nothing to produce and people watch it. Sailing costs a fortune to produce and nobody watches it, not in numbers that pay the bills anyway.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: America's Cup Race #2 on Sunday [Re: ThunderMuffin] #203653
02/16/10 07:03 PM
02/16/10 07:03 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Originally Posted by Undecided
Everything coming out of the BMWO press machine says that Jake is right. They aren't rushing to release what they'll race in, where they'll race or when they'll race. They want to get a consensus of the viable AC teams together and see what they want.

While "Uncle Larry" might be a dickhead to work for and in the business world - he was the guy who put an end to the SNG/Alinghi shenanigans. He knows damn well that the sailing community is now going to hold his feet to the fire like they did to Ernesto.

Maybe Uncle Larry will give all multihullers a break on Oracle license fees in celebration!

Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Jake] #203657
02/16/10 07:30 PM
02/16/10 07:30 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Here's a couple of suggestions for the next contest:
1) Madate that all crew on board be citizens of the country their boat represents. I think it's absurd to require that the boat be constructed entirely in country, but allow teams to shop the world for crew.
2) Require the defender to guarantee a purchase of at least $1,000,000.00 of television advertising across whatever networks/stations broadcast the race live nationwide. Assuming a LV Cup runoff, require each challenger to similarly buy $500,000.00 of TV advertising and the winner to kick in an additional $500,000.00. Maybe then we could get at least one channel to cover it.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203658
02/16/10 08:04 PM
02/16/10 08:04 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Isotope42
1) Madate that all crew on board be citizens of the country their boat represents. I think it's absurd to require that the boat be constructed entirely in country, but allow teams to shop the world for crew.
2) Require the defender to guarantee a purchase of at least $1,000,000.00 of television advertising across whatever networks/stations broadcast the race live nationwide. Assuming a LV Cup runoff, require each challenger to similarly buy $500,000.00 of TV advertising and the winner to kick in an additional $500,000.00. Maybe then we could get at least one channel to cover it.

My guess is that you will actually see some movement in the national sailor direction. Probably something along the lines of a particular percentage of your team must be from your nation.

If the event is large enough (like the 32nd cup), TV purchases rights to broadcast the event. Unfortunately for us, Versus (in the US) lost their butt when they covered it in 2007 - we may be watching on the internet again until some AC racing takes place in US waters.

Jake Kohl
Re: America's Cup Race #2 on Sunday [Re: Jake] #203665
02/16/10 09:22 PM
02/16/10 09:22 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
From Sailing World

"A Bit of a Mutiny"

As was widely reported, Race 2 of the 33rd America's Cup was the race that almost didn't happen—and not for the reasons with which most sailors are familiar. Struggling against a fickle breeze and with poor weather looming for the foreseeable future, 33rd America's Cup principal race officer Harold Bennett kept the two multihulls on the water until late into the afternoon on Sunday. A half hour before the 4:30 p.m. cutoff for the start, the breeze finally solidified, 7 to 9 knots from the east, and Bennett indicated the he was aiming for a 4:25 p.m. start.

Courtesy www.AmericasCup.com
New Zealander Harold Bennett was the principal race officer for the 33rd America's Cup.
However, the Swiss team on Alinghi 5 didn't want to race, feeling most likely that the waves were too high, and relayed that to members of the Société Nautique de Genève working on the race committee boat. What happened next is just one last piece of absurdity in what has been a fairly unique chapter in the history of the America's Cup. Bennett sat down with four journalists yesterday (myself, Stuart Alexander of the Independent, Angus Phillips of the Washington Post, and Jim Doyle of the San Francisco Chronicle) to talk about the incident.

Harold, what happened on the boat when you tried to start Race 2? Is it true that the SNG members on the boat refused to perform their jobs?
We had a bit of a mutiny. I don't think SNG wanted to go, so they decided they weren't going to do flags. So Tom [Ehman, BMW Oracle Racing's head of external affairds] took the AP down and my boat driver, who's also an international umpire, he shot up forward and did the rest of the signals.

Does this stray into Rule 69 territory. Would you normal write a report for ISAF?
Yes I do have to and obviously that's going to be included in any report. That's what you do, you've got outline what's going on on the boat, whether it's good or bad.

What could've been their motivation? The wind was as light as it could get and still be stable.
We had a perfect breeze the way I saw it. I had good weather information from the Alinghi weather team. It was perfect, everything lined up, 8, 9 knots up the course. And it was like, well, let's do it.

Have you heard of a race committee at any regatta deciding they want to prevent the race being run?
No. Well I've certainly never experienced it. No I've never heard of that before.

When you said, 'Let's get this race off.' They just said, 'We're not doing it.'? No reason?
Well one guy was over my shoulder, telling me that the waves were too big, that the boats were going to break. I just said, I don't believe that. I know that boat boats when they were going upwind the alarms were going off. I understand that, I was told by the sailors of both teams afterward, last night. They were taking a little bit of strain. But crikey, if the boats are that flimsy, I guess it's a problem, isn't it.

They said they were pushing the boats as hard as they'd ever pushed them.
I think the guys have said that to me, that they did push them hard.

Strain in those situations is a matter of mainsheet load, and a lot of other things. There are a lot of things they can do to ease the strain.
You're right with that. But I guess if you look at the intricate systems that's underneath that cat, God you'd only need one of those to fail and the whole thing would fold up like a pack of cards.

But they always knew that?
I guess they would, they would know that.

I don't know of any race boat that you don't push hard on occasion.
Isn't that what you do with the boat, you drive it, you drive it hard. I don't know, I guess both of them have built their boats to a, I don't know, a fairly low spec as far as strength is concerned. They're obviously very strong, if you have your alarms going off yesterday, stuff like that…

Well it depends where you've set the alarm?
I guess it is, yeah.
I said in the press conference, after the first or second day we didn't race, I had now idea where the limits where in these boats. Up until we'd had these boats on the water that was the first time I'd seen the Oracle boat, apart from one day it came past us and then went in. I'd not seen that one wound up in anger, if you like to put it, around us. I'd seen the Alinghi boat a bit, we ran a couple of races for them leading up to the regatta. I had no idea where the limits are, I don't know, but I've got a better idea now. I don't think you would be able to put them out into much seaway, it would be dangerous for them.

What kind of wave heights were you seeing yesterday?
I would've thought the swells were close to a meter. They were some quite big swells that came through at one stage. They were long; they were fairly well apart. But I think for those boats they were probably not quite straddling them. They were into them and over them, so I guess that was putting quite a lot of pressure on them, when they dipped the hull into the wave in front.

In the U.K. there's an obsession with health and safety, duty of care. Were those concepts being voiced at all by fellow members of your race committee.
No their concern was more over the club's insurance on the event, liability for the event, if there was an accident, which if I understand it, surrounded the notice of race. So what was written in the original notice of race, and subsequently pulled out, left them in a bit of a position where it was like, 'Wow, if we're outside of these parameters, we've got a problem.'

So the concern was financial and not for people?
I can't answer that. I don't know what their thinking behind it was. I certainly was concerned about the safety of the guys on the boat, if one of these things folded up, or they had a collision, that was a concern that I had. That was one of the reasons with the length of the starting line. I had no idea what we should do with the starting line. I know that for match racing, a 30-second line is ideal, but with these boats, a 30-second line is only like 400 meters. You put them head-to-head doing 20 knots, that's a 40-knot collision course as they're coming together. If one of them got it wrong, you'd have a real problem. That's why I settled on what I did, which was like 800 meters. At the end of the day I don't think that was too far wrong.

What parameters did you think the conditions yesterday exceeded?
Yesterday, that was the point that was being made to me, that the waves were too big.

It's a tough job, being a PRO. There's no real hard and fast standards. Everything is on a variable scale. There's no way of saying this is OK and this isn't other than common sense.
Absolutely. It's common sense, it's what you see; it's your gut feeling. Which was a point I was trying to make with the guys on the race committee with me was that you can't make a committee decision on every thing that's going to happen on the water. It doesn't work. One person has got to deal with that and that's what a race officer does. From my perspective looking at that, it's your gut feeling about what you think is going to happen, what you can see, and you do it. From my point of view; that's worked out fine. But there are people probably have other views about that. I did it the best of my ability and I don't see an issue with that.

Who was on the race committee boat?
Lucien [Masmejan, Alinghi counsel] and Tom Ehman were the two observers from the team. Not participating, there just to observe. Then myself, a boat driver who's Spanish, who's also an international umpire. Then another Spanish guy who coordinated my thoughts about what I wanted on the race track as far as position on marks and stuff like that. He did all the communications for me. The guys on the mark boats, they were all Spanish as well, so his role was vital. The SNG guys there were four of them, one was Fred Meyer, he didn't really participate, he watched. The other three guys, two of them were doing flags, one was doing the time keeping and calling the flags. I have to say that Pascal, the guy doing that, he stood by his post, he did the job, doing the time and calling the signals. I applaud him for that. I thanked him sincerely for that. If he'd have walked off too, we had a problem. So my boat driver did the flags on the front, Tom Ehman took the AP down when it was time and we just got on with the rest of it.

Can you remember the names of the other two guys from SNG?
One was Marcel and the other was Nicolas Grange. Granche is the cat sailor, who was, I guess, the expert for multihull sailing. [ed's note: Grange is president of the Swiss Multihull Assocation]

Technically they were under your direction?
Absolutely. That's how you operate on a boat. My role was to coordinate the whole thing and make the calls and the rest of them were to do the job.

Larry Ellison made a definitive statement at his victory press conference that he will use an independent body to manage and run the 34th America's Cup. How do they do that so that you can do your job, without your impartiality coming into question, warranted or not?
I think the concept of America's Cup Management [the body set up to run the 32nd America's Cup] was fine. It got to be an ugly animal, there was a lot of people involved in it. But the race side of that, the racing part of it, was like it's own group that was in ACM. Dyer Jones headed that and Peter "Luigi" Reggio and I were the two principal race officers doing the job, well he was principal and I was senior. There was a committee there that was three of us, plus two Spanish guys who were our deputies, that was the race committee and we would discuss things. When you go to the water, the two race officers, they do that. I think what Larry Ellison has pointed out, and Russell has mentioned it as well. An independent body to run the racing, yup, I think that's a damn good idea. You pull n from wherever the key people to take up those roles. As long as it's not all from the same country, or something like that, then you probably have a pretty good mix of people.

How do you make it independent? ACM was ostensibly independent, but we still had these questions.
I would think they may set up a company that has a board which involves people from all the teams, or something like that. That's what I would think, I don't know, but that would be sensible and they'd hire the right people to do the job. If I happen to be one of those, then so be it. I'd probably do it again. But that's for someone else to decide.

Jake Kohl
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203668
02/16/10 10:09 PM
02/16/10 10:09 PM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...

I would like to see the helm and half of the rest of the crew be from in country. Strict CIC.

After watching on the net to hell with TV. No commercials every 5 minutes. The ability to play it back at will. Watch when you want. I want to be able to see everything unfiltered. We could chose the feed (commentators) we listened to. The camera work was good. I wish they would have shown more from the starboard side of USA-17 on that reach. Could you imagine sitting on that ama just in front of the board on the reach. Wahoo! To that I hate EB even more for not allowing cameras on board. We were denied so much by that move.....but I digress.

Have Fun
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203669
02/16/10 10:24 PM
02/16/10 10:24 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I thought that they dropped the nationality requirement because it just forced people to change their citizenship for their employer. It was simply too easy to work around the requirement.

More to the point... what does it matter?

Just watching the Olympics... the Canadian internet mogul guy jumped to Australia to board... I think he won a medal. The Japanese girl jumped to Russia to compete in pairs figure skating.... she needs a visa to go home to see her mom. I think I remember Navratolova represented the USA in the tennis Olympics.

Bottom line... it's not a big deal and I don't see how it builds support for a US flagged sailing team funded by a rich US owner... The modern Cup is not even as nationalistic as the Olympics.

Besides... We only notice winners...

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Mark Schneider] #203672
02/16/10 11:00 PM
02/16/10 11:00 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
I thought that they dropped the nationality requirement because it just forced people to change their citizenship for their employer. It was simply too easy to work around the requirement.

My opinion is that jumping citizenship would be a blatant attempt to subvert the rules, and I'd hope that a threat of a rule 69 action might discourage it.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203676
02/17/10 12:33 AM
02/17/10 12:33 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
hmm... a birther scenario...! Show me your birth certificate to sail!? That will make for interesting rule 69 protest hearings.

Isn't there enough crap to litigate in these cup competitions?

What value do you see with the nationality requirement?.... It's not like the public knows any of the sailors, designers, builders, much less their nationality. BMW proved that the team approach was decisive but; do you have any idea what the mix of nationalitites was? They certainly did not have any affirmative action members on the payroll... Why set the game up this way?

I see this as reality tv... the PR machine can build the owners and helms public persona for the fans and they are the only ones the public will know .... at least the owner will be a country man.... so that's 50%.

I would drop both equipment and personnel limitations and may the best team win!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Mark Schneider] #203677
02/17/10 04:14 AM
02/17/10 04:14 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
may I just point out the "Australian" mogul skier left Canada at 15, sat out a year because he did not wish to be in the Canadian team training. Not because he wasn't good enough but did not like their system.

He now has one Olympic gold and a this Olympics silver and 3 world cups.. Is very involved in bringing new skiers of many countries through the ranks..

He also is well off enough not to need sponsorship. In fact gave the world cup winnings last year away to Haiti..

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203682
02/17/10 07:43 AM
02/17/10 07:43 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

My opinion is that jumping citizenship would be a blatant attempt to subvert the rules, and I'd hope that a threat of a rule 69 action might discourage it.

Perhaps...but you are either a citizen of that country or you are not. There's really no other measure in between unless you want to drop back to "born in". (wrote a song about it)

Jake Kohl
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Jake] #203683
02/17/10 07:55 AM
02/17/10 07:55 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
One third of the Alinghi crew where Swiss, Butterworth, Van Nieuwenhuizen and some other guys all have Swiss passports.
In F1 there is a budget cap to keep things fair, the only problem is how a defender can get some serious practice in without building two boats and competing in the challenger series?

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203686
02/17/10 08:24 AM
02/17/10 08:24 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA

Well, let me soften that a little. It would be much simpler to say that everybody on board must have been citizens since a day before the previous America's Cup was held. If a sailor possesses dual (or multiple) citizenship, he must have declared a primary affiliation for that same period. That wouldn't require any threats.

Frankly though, I don't want someone becoming a citizen of the USA (with the intent of switching allegiance again afterward) for the sole purpose of sailing in a regatta. If you don't intend to keep the vow given to gain citizenship, don't give it. Naturalization under false pretence shouldn't be just unsportsmanlike; it should be illegal.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Mark Schneider] #203689
02/17/10 08:38 AM
02/17/10 08:38 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Isn't there enough crap to litigate in these cup competitions?

More than enough, I agree. But a citizenship requirement wouldn't require legal action or even any investigation. Every crew member of an America's Cup team already has a publicized biography (or at least a long, long sailing resume). If a non-citizen is crewing, you don't have to file a lawsuit - a simple protest is sufficient.

What value do you see with the nationality requirement?.... I would drop both equipment and personnel limitations and may the best team win!

The Americas Cup is set up as a nation vs. nation contest. I'd just like it to be an honest contest. Otherwise, you might as well take the country codes off the sails and change the regatta name to the "Corporation Cup".

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: catman] #203691
02/17/10 09:03 AM
02/17/10 09:03 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Let me preface this post by saying that I don't get broadcast television, so it is a moot point personally. I live in a place with no antenna reception, cable is unavailable, and I refuse to pay the price of satellite service.

Originally Posted by catman
After watching on the net to hell with TV. No commercials every 5 minutes. The ability to play it back at will. Watch when you want.

Which feed did you watch? Did you count the number of ads on the Sailing Anarchy site? They even had a hover-ad covering the video. With view-on-demand and tivo, you can watch and play back at will. Oh, and where did you find play-back of the races? All I found were rebroadcasts on the live feeds and a pirated torrent file that I couldn't play. And besides, being on broadcast tv doesn't preclude internet coverage. It just widens up the potential audience.

I hate ... not allowing cameras on board. We were denied so much by that move.

I'm with you 100% on that one. Remember the past AC race when BMWO was leading Alinghi on the leg to the finish? Alinghi caught a puff and threatened to roll BMWO. They had the crew mic'd and broadcast the conversation on board. At one point I heard Peter Isler (who was tactician) say "We're two boatlenghts ahead - let's just gybe". Well, the skipper decided to heat up instead. Alinghi rolled them and won the race.''

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203697
02/17/10 10:26 AM
02/17/10 10:26 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
"Nationality" essentially means that you pay taxes to an administration for the common benefit of a group, but more often just because they have the power to enforce payment.

IMHO nationality is an irrelevant concept for anything but administrative/tax issues. The world needs no passports, less "governments" and better management.

over

Luiz
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Luiz] #203702
02/17/10 10:56 AM
02/17/10 10:56 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

laugh You're probably going to need your flame suit.

Last edited by pgp; 02/17/10 10:56 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Luiz] #203703
02/17/10 10:58 AM
02/17/10 10:58 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I thought they got rid of the Nationality requirement to try to help teams that could use help. Teams like China and Japan. I think some other countries could use the help too but I'm not naming names.

So it actually brought the cup to a more even playing field by getting rid of the Nationality requirement.

Personally I'm on the fence. I've seen how it plays out both ways. When you put the requirement in place it does make for a lot of fudging on the rules. I don't like to see that. So open at least you don't have all of the fudging like the Olympics. I also hate to see that our American team had to use a bunch of Aussie's. Nothing against Spithill or Coutts. Great guys. I'd just like to see Americans win it themselves.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TimTT), 600 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022