03/14/10 06:36 AM
03/14/10 06:36 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
question does the Tornado have a tip weight designed to minimise the carbons benefits?

also to be honest I also believe the AHCP wing is actually better than the Tornados stick.. then its only my opinion.. lets hear from Goodall...

Last edited by Stewart; 03/14/10 06:37 AM.
--Advertisement--
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: Stewart] #205586
03/14/10 06:48 AM
03/14/10 06:48 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
Stewart,

The Tornado carbon mast has no tip weight, but the F16 tip weight is so small that there is no impact on the masts performance and the performance gain is considerable.

And who gives a **** whether the Wing is a better section than the tornado teardrop section. The comparison I used was between two different materials, with the same section so it's a perfect example of material difference not design differences.

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205587
03/14/10 06:54 AM
03/14/10 06:54 AM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
<**** comments here around, about cfrp (carbon) as the wonder weapon to save weight. There are many other possibilities to reduce weight without impact on structural integrity.
In my business with save around 10% weight per 20 years (not only better materials, but also better engineering, processes, etc.) and I think there are similar figures for other industries. Small boat industry resists this trend.
I wonder why a Torando could weight 160kg in timber and alu 30 years ago, and why a F16 now should weight 140kg, which is shorter, less wide, has less sail area and is build for lower crew weight.
In my opinion, that is because most classes are either OD, or Formula with is very friendly to the manufacturer (yet that are/can be quite nice boats). The formula 16 is a bit different, because it is more customer friendly (less weight) and this might be the reason, why there is this constant attacking by manufacturer (well by some persons who are paid by...)

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205588
03/14/10 07:03 AM
03/14/10 07:03 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
well see this is where you and I differ..
Firstly the ally in the AHCP wing is a significantly better temper than the Tornado drop..
secondly : I think the tip weight rule is a significant issue.. Add 5 kg to the tip of your F18 and see what it does!!

So in the ultimate F16 which mast should I get..

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: Smiths_Cat] #205589
03/14/10 07:09 AM
03/14/10 07:09 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
<**** comments here around, about cfrp (carbon) as the wonder weapon to save weight. There are many other possibilities to reduce weight without impact on structural integrity.
In my business with save around 10% weight per 20 years (not only better materials, but also better engineering, processes, etc.) and I think there are similar figures for other industries. Small boat industry resists this trend.
I wonder why a Torando could weight 160kg in timber and alu 30 years ago, and why a F16 now should weight 140kg, which is shorter, less wide, has less sail area and is build for lower crew weight.
In my opinion, that is because most classes are either OD, or Formula with is very friendly to the manufacturer (yet that are/can be quite nice boats). The formula 16 is a bit different, because it is more customer friendly (less weight) and this might be the reason, why there is this constant attacking by manufacturer (well by some persons who are paid by...)

Cheers,

Klaus

Klaus,

The Tornado is a good measure because the quality of the sailors is of a high and consistent standard, there were regattas held as the carbon mast was introduced where there was a mix in alloy and carbon rigs competing and the carbon masts were faster even at the early stages of sail development for the new masts.

If you look at the surface area on a Tornado hull you will find that its less than a current generation F18 and not so much bigger than a Viper, simply put: the newer hull shapes are bigger. The weight difference between a Tornado and a Viper is around 40kg which is quite a difference when you consider that the hull area is quite close and the F16 Mast area is close to the Tornado, beams are same section just shorter.. not too many areas to get rid of 40kg are there??

And I just want to clear something up here: I am not being paid by any manufacturer. Currently I have no contracts with any catamaran manufacturer.

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: Stewart] #205590
03/14/10 07:19 AM
03/14/10 07:19 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
Originally Posted by Stewart
well see this is where you and I differ..
Firstly the ally in the AHCP wing is a significantly better temper than the Tornado drop..
secondly : I think the tip weight rule is a significant issue.. Add 5 kg to the tip of your F18 and see what it does!!

So in the ultimate F16 which mast should I get..

The F16 rule states there is a 6kg min tip weight, now I haven't measured a F16 compliant mast alloy or carbon, but would think that the alloy mast would have a tip weight around 9kg (tornado used to be 10kg tip weight min and they were tapered so pretty small up there plus all the masts I had were carrying around 500g lead)

So the real question is: would you like to take 3kg off the tip of your alloy mast? I sure as hell would!

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205591
03/14/10 07:22 AM
03/14/10 07:22 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Originally Posted by macca

but you need to build it with the right method and a backyard builder isn't going to have the right skills/equipment to do so.

Macca the statement above sort of puts you in the same frame as our current Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, that of making statements without really thinking through what he is stating, for purely point scoring reasons.

You state openly that back yard builders are not capable of making good boats because they don't have the technical facilities to be able to do so. At the moment the backyard boys ( who probably make more F16's than AHPC )make boats to weight and the one company who has bought in production ( AHPC only buys in hulls from another company )knowledge, can't.

Now I put that down to one simple reason, profit margins. AHPC have gone down the route of outsourcing production because it has a higher profit margin, no different to probably 1000's of companies in the world. The downside is by using cheap labour and outsourcing you get less control of production methods.

Anyway I'm not sure why we are having this conversation when the Viper is doing so well in sales, AHPC must be getting pretty pissed by now as the F16 sailors will turn against them, particularly if they continue on with this weight issue. Guys get on with selling ( and hence converting sailors ) F16's to the masses.

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205592
03/14/10 07:24 AM
03/14/10 07:24 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
my stick carries 3 kg to be compliant...

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: Stewart] #205593
03/14/10 07:28 AM
03/14/10 07:28 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
So you mast tip weight is 3kg before adding correctors?? that makes your mast weigh somewhere around 8-9kg total??? sounds very light...

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: waynemarlow] #205594
03/14/10 07:37 AM
03/14/10 07:37 AM
Australia
macca Offline
old hand
macca  Offline
old hand

Australia
Originally Posted by waynemarlow

but you need to build it with the right method and a backyard builder isn't going to have the right skills/equipment to do so.

Macca the statement above sort of puts you in the same frame as our current Prime Minister, Gordon Brown, that of making statements without really thinking through what he is stating, for purely point scoring reasons.

You state openly that back yard builders are not capable of making good boats because they don't have the technical facilities to be able to do so. At the moment the backyard boys ( who probably make more F16's than AHPC )make boats to weight and the one company who has bought in production ( AHPC only buys in hulls from another company )knowledge, can't.

Now I put that down to one simple reason, profit margins. AHPC have gone down the route of outsourcing production because it has a higher profit margin, no different to probably 1000's of companies in the world. The downside is by using cheap labour and outsourcing you get less control of production methods.

Anyway I'm not sure why we are having this conversation when the Viper is doing so well in sales, AHPC must be getting pretty pissed by now as the F16 sailors will turn against them, particularly if they continue on with this weight issue. Guys get on with selling ( and hence converting sailors ) F16's to the masses.

Now you are the one that is having comprehension issues Wayne, I stated that its not possible for a home builder to build an all carbon boat to the same standard and weight savings that a professional can with the suitable equipment.

I have not at any stage said that a home builder can't build a good boat. I know they can and have seen it done many times, however they will not be able to build a boat that is as optimised as someone who has access to prepreg, nomex and a big angry autoclave... I have also seen boats built this way and I can tell you which one is a better product, lighter, stronger and all round better.

And for you to state that the quality control of the facilities where AHPC build their boats is not as good as a home/small builder clearly shows you have the Gordon Brown disease... I have personally visited both locations where AHPC build hulls and I can say that both companies build a top class product that rates up there with the very best in the world. I presume you haven't visited said factories??? No, didn't think so...

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205597
03/14/10 08:33 AM
03/14/10 08:33 AM
Pensacola, FL
C
Cab Offline
Cab  Offline
C

Pensacola, FL
If I remember correctly, most of the F16s at global challenge weighed around 112 KG. My blade rigged for 2 up was 111 KG. That is not far from min weight. I don't think a weight reduction of 4 KG would result in, at least for me, a noticeable performance increase. It is not a logical argument to use the viper's weight of 130 KG as the standard weigh of an F16, then make a general comment that an F16 that weighs 23 KG less would be faster and much expensive. You can spend all you want on prepreg, using an autoclave, carbon mast, carbon beams, ect. On most F16s you can only loose 4-5 KGs before you start having to add it back. Some are at min weight already. So the idea that the class will self destruct when someone builds a min weight boat is ridiculous. Most boats are pretty close to min weight already.

Chris
Trident F16
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205598
03/14/10 08:38 AM
03/14/10 08:38 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Originally Posted by Timbo
Macca, is someone twisting your arm to force you to force your crap on the F16 Class?

Who's your daddy? How much is he paying you to spew? Better yet, how much of YOUR money have YOU SPENT on a new F16? What? You don't own one? Why? Too light?

Why do you give a frak what we do? Really, why?

Don't you have anything better to do than to come to the F16 site and peddal your BS?

Seriously?

Get a life.

The F16 class was and is doing fine without your help. Do you want me to lock you in a room with Wouter?

Timbo,

I have two men in masks standing over me right now with guns pointed at me. They tell me exactly what to say and I simply type away...

Damn, I knew it!

Now, should we send in the marines to rescue you or Mousad?

So when are you going to put up some of your own money and buy an F16? OR, if you want to have the Super F16, have Marstrom build you a carbon F16 5kg below wt. so you can add weights??

Blade F16
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205599
03/14/10 08:46 AM
03/14/10 08:46 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
If I recall correctly the AHCP stick was measured as baseline for the rules.. I cant recall tho if the tip weight is the AHCP mast.. But I recall it being very close..

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205600
03/14/10 08:48 AM
03/14/10 08:48 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
"And I just want to clear something up here: I am not being paid by any manufacturer. Currently I have no contracts with any catamaran manufacturer."

The one key word here is "Currently". So, who are you -trying- to get hired by? If you were to get the F16 mn. wt. raised, do you get a free ride? You should talk Marstrom into building you the $30K Wonder F16, that'll show us how stupid we all are...

WOUTER! Get back in here and straighten Macca out!

Blade F16
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205601
03/14/10 09:23 AM
03/14/10 09:23 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
hint try SE 70 from SP only needs a 75 degree cure with a post cureno autoclave.. less mess and if you have ever seen me build anything believe me that is a GOOD thing!!

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: Timbo] #205602
03/14/10 09:25 AM
03/14/10 09:25 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia
nahh send in the marines to rescue mousad .. but you may need the SAS to rescue the marines!! grin

Last edited by Stewart; 03/14/10 09:25 AM.
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205605
03/14/10 10:03 AM
03/14/10 10:03 AM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg

Cheers,

Klaus

Klaus,

The Tornado is a good measure because the quality of the sailors is of a high and consistent standard, there were regattas held as the carbon mast was introduced where there was a mix in alloy and carbon rigs competing and the carbon masts were faster even at the early stages of sail development for the new masts.

If you look at the surface area on a Tornado hull you will find that its less than a current generation F18 and not so much bigger than a Viper, simply put: the newer hull shapes are bigger. The weight difference between a Tornado and a Viper is around 40kg which is quite a difference when you consider that the hull area is quite close and the F16 Mast area is close to the Tornado, beams are same section just shorter.. not too many areas to get rid of 40kg are there??

And I just want to clear something up here: I am not being paid by any manufacturer. Currently I have no contracts with any catamaran manufacturer.

You missed my point. I didn't say the CFRP mast on T's isn't better. It is just the question by how much. Now translate this difference from professional sailors, which as you say are close in performance and put in down on week end club level sailing. There will be no difference, as can also read in the results of F16 races: A Stealth f16 is no guarantee to victory.

The mast of a T is 1m taller, each beam is 0.5m longer, I am too lazy to calc the complete sail area, but is significant larger and as consequence the forces are larger, the torque loads are way higher. Since the lower loads on a F16, much lighter crosssection for the beams could be used, but also other load carrying parts can be lighter.
I haven't calculate, but I would estimate a F16, if sized with the same criteria to be around 100kg-110kg (I was thinking of home building one some time ago). And this is just based on a T, designed in timber and alu, back in 1970 or so...
So no need to argue the min weight would be unrealistic. If a manufacturer decide to use parts from the F18 production and design the hulls for carring two full size adults, it will be heavier, not necessarily slower. It's a design choice.

Some manufacturers will not achieve it, or they have boats in the same market segment.
Maybe some of them or some of their dealers have you paid in the past or will you pay in future.

But the big point finally is, that the class member are happy with their rules, the boats and the boat builder involved. So why change something?

Cheers,

Klaus
Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: macca] #205610
03/14/10 12:46 PM
03/14/10 12:46 PM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

And for you to state that the quality control of the facilities where AHPC build their boats is not as good as a home/small builder clearly shows you have the Gordon Brown disease... I have personally visited both locations where AHPC build hulls and I can say that both companies build a top class product that rates up there with the very best in the world. I presume you haven't visited said factories??? No, didn't think so...

Macca, never have I said that AHPC makes a poor product, from the one I have seen in the flesh, the cosmetic finish and layout is very good. From reading in the press, it is a fast well made boat and in my view caters for the 2 up light weight market. Great market strategy and will sell plenty of boats. Good on them and long may they sell plenty. Incidently does anybody know of what the latest Viper hull number is, some of you have recieved one of the later ones in Europe recently.

As to visiting their two production facilities, sorry no. The only composite factory I have visited was a top glider manufacturer where the layup men are given a computer calculated amount of foam, glass and epoxy and told to build x component. Nothing left over, nothing wasted and no excess weight. Not sure whether the boat builders do the same.

Macca you really need to talk to AHPC as doing what you are doing in having constant pop shots at the F16 class using the Viper as the case in point, is building up a head of steam against the Viper, In the long term it will not do AHPC much good as far as sales go. Its much better to be a part of a larger market than to try and establish a niche market for your product. Perhaps contact Gregg and Brett and discuss a joint strategy for furthering their long term company aims.

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: waynemarlow] #205612
03/14/10 01:03 PM
03/14/10 01:03 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our "friend" is just another in a long line of detractors who see the F16 as a threat to their own favorite platform.

Engaging him just encourages him.

Stop talking to him.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Why does Macca hate F16s? [Re: waynemarlow] #205614
03/14/10 01:58 PM
03/14/10 01:58 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by waynemarlow
...... and in my view caters for the 2 up light weight market.

Lightweight for the F16's, or catsailing as a whole? From putting 365#'s on my own Viper, it handles it quite well.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022