04/23/10 11:40 AM
04/23/10 11:40 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Like I said, it's all part of the game, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's unfortunate that this didn't get worked out in advance, but only because it was a Youth event. It was still a major qualifier, and rule issues should be anticipated.

BTW, my understanding is that the Corinthian spirit tells you to follow the rules when no one else is looking, not to make reasons for others not to follow them.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 04/23/10 11:42 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: ] #209379
04/23/10 11:51 AM
04/23/10 11:51 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by MarkMT
one little girl said to another that if she was going to wear her CE-approved PFD, she would be protested

My question is what is it that clubs/parents/coaches are doing that leads little kids to think that winning is so important that a protest is the right way to address a concern like this? Even if the rule were justified on safety grounds, it's interesting that what she didn't do was go to the RC before the race and say "I'm concerned that some of the kids aren't going to be safe on the water".

Another question would be why are they being allowed by clubs/parents/coaches to sail in PFD's that do not meet the standards prescribed in the SI's?

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: brucat] #209380
04/23/10 11:58 AM
04/23/10 11:58 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by brucat

BTW, my understanding is that the Corinthian spirit tells you to follow the rules when no one else is looking, not to make reasons for others not to follow them.

Mike

That's my take to, in case their was some confusion.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: brucat] #209385
04/23/10 12:54 PM
04/23/10 12:54 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Originally Posted by brucat
Now, in reading your posts John, I'm having difficulty understanding where in the prescription, or on the USSA PFD webpage, there was a clause that made the CE vest at that youth event legal enough to justify a warning and not a DSQ. Was there something else in the SIs that allowed the PC to issue a warning for this infraction? This was a US sailor on a US boat in US waters, right?

This is the sort of thing that could lead to an appeal at a minimum, up to everyone's new favorite buzzword, arbitration.

Please help me understand this a bit more in case I find myself on a PC for such a thing...

Mike

Hi Mike -

In anticipation of this very issue, the RO and PC worked together in preparing the SIs to say that the penalty might be something less than DSQ.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209386
04/23/10 01:02 PM
04/23/10 01:02 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Perfect. I've seen these things handled that way as well. More typically around here, we are moving to statements that violations of safety rules are not subject to protest by another boat (inference is that RC or PC can protest).

Not that any of that helps when SIs are silent on the issue...

Mike

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209389
04/23/10 01:51 PM
04/23/10 01:51 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Would you mind providing the text so we can use it as a boiler plate.

Thank you in advance.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: David Ingram] #209393
04/23/10 02:44 PM
04/23/10 02:44 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

From the HCA standard SI template:

15.6 Breaches of instructions [list SI section numbers related to safety] will not be grounds for a protest by a boat. This changes RRS 60.1(a). Penalties for these breaches may be less than disqualification if the protest committee so decides. The scoring abbreviation for a discretionary penalty imposed under this instruction will be DPI.

I have seen this modified for non-Hobie events to say:
Breaches of safety rules will not be grounds for a protest by a boat... (This would get you around prescriptions, class rules, etc. in case you forget to specifically list one: paddles, whistles, etc. sometimes show up in class rules.)

Here is the link: http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/sit...urces/2009%20HCA-NA%20Standard%20SIs.doc

I wrote this SI template, based on RRS Appendix L and some Hobie traditions, and reviewed/tweaked by a team that included Matt Bounds, Irene McNeill, and other certified folks.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: brucat] #209395
04/23/10 03:17 PM
04/23/10 03:17 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
It does help and thank you.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: David Ingram] #209396
04/23/10 03:32 PM
04/23/10 03:32 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Not to confuse the issue, but I just posted that language to answer the question of how to make safety rules "optional" within SIs.

HCA does NOT make any attempt to change PFD requirements, or any other class rule changes. If you read the SI template, you will see that the safety section is really about check-ins, etc.

I HAVE seen language added to cut down on "safety protests" at lots of other regattas, and while I really don't like it on a personal level, it can help to alleviate what some consider to be "frivilous" protests (for class rules requiring paddles, whistles, etc.).

Personally, I don't think individual events should mess with class rules. That's just part of growing up with the militant SMOD Hobie rules, I guess.

I also feel farily strongly that we should just follow the local laws, which is what USSA is saying in their RX. I don't want to debate CE vs. USCG, but it's always dangerous for an OA to attempt to sidestep USSA or worse, local laws.

Mike

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: mikekrantz] #209401
04/23/10 05:13 PM
04/23/10 05:13 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by mikekrantz
My question, why is US Sailing trying to enforce a USCG or local DNR regulation?

We might as well write into the SI's, no robbing, raping, and plundering during the course of the event and while we're at it, include all of the state/federal laws and regulations...

I skimmed this thread last night and had the same thought. Why can't the SI's just say "adequate flotation device" and leave it at that.

Then again, without some specific definition, a protest committee would have random results if tested on "what is adequate"? Does that mean legal? Does that mean floats the person adequately? Does adequate in that context mean face up? All of a sudden a limited definition for a flotation device leaves the barn door open for a lot of interpretation.

I think the only option is to leave out the requirement entirely but then that brings up other valid questions.

The real problem here is the CG requirement. They require the flotation to be balanced in such a manner that the CG approved life jackets simply aren't comfortable for what we do (must float face up resulting in much flotation in the front) and they require a cumbersome and expensive approval process. This is really the problem here.

Jake Kohl
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209403
04/23/10 05:58 PM
04/23/10 05:58 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
The rules only apply so long as people agree to follow them. US Sailing has no army to enforce them. If you want to make up your own rules that say port has right of way over starboard and then invite all your friends to an event under those rules, no one is going to stop you. Similarly if you want to amend the rules as you see fit, no one is going to stop you. They may tell you that you can’t do it, but that’s about all they can do. It’s a classic case of "stop or I'll say stop again."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1Hz2_gdh4

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Jake] #209405
04/23/10 06:29 PM
04/23/10 06:29 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by Jake
Why can't the SI's just say "adequate flotation device" and leave it at that.

Then I think the question would be, "What is adequate floatation?" Which is sort of what the whole CG cert defines.

Here's a question. Eliminating any application process, would the vests in question pass the CG flotation criteria?

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209410
04/23/10 07:39 PM
04/23/10 07:39 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

Then I think the question would be, "What is adequate floatation?" Which is sort of what the whole CG cert defines.

Here's a question. Eliminating any application process, would the vests in question pass the CG flotation criteria?

The major players would not only pass but exceed. I believe I was told that many of the CE approved PFDs will actually float more weight.
It boils down to bureaucracy and dollars/greed. Go figure.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: rhodysail] #209417
04/23/10 10:26 PM
04/23/10 10:26 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by rhodysail
The rules only apply so long as people agree to follow them. US Sailing has no army to enforce them. If you want to make up your own rules that say port has right of way over starboard and then invite all your friends to an event under those rules, no one is going to stop you. Similarly if you want to amend the rules as you see fit, no one is going to stop you. They may tell you that you can’t do it, but that’s about all they can do. It’s a classic case of "stop or I'll say stop again."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1Hz2_gdh4

OK, say the port/starboard rules are reversed (port has ROW) in the SIs. This is contrary to RRS 86.1 which says that the SIs cannot change a rule in Part 2 (ROW rules).

We get into a P/S confrontation. I'm on stbd, you're on port. You "win" because of the SIs, but I immediately request redress because of the rule 86 violation. I win, you lose. No jury would think twice about it.

As far as the PFD issue is concerned, the IHCA Class Rules state:
8. SAFETY EQUIPMENT
8.1 Each person on board shall carry a lifesaving
device or Personal Flotation Device (PFD) approved
by their country’s national authority or by
the national authority having jurisdiction. The
IHCA strongly recommends that life jackets or
PFDs be worn at all times.

So if you wear one of the non-USCG approved PFDs, you are violating the US Sailing prescription and the class rules. That might even call for a Rule 2 / Rule 69 action.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: mbounds] #209418
04/23/10 10:47 PM
04/23/10 10:47 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Matt, that the violation exists isn't the point; that part is inarguable. The part I'm curious about regards such widespread violation of the rule and a fundamental question of why the rule exists only in the US and affects only US sailors... except when they compete outside the US.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: John Williams] #209419
04/23/10 11:48 PM
04/23/10 11:48 PM
Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
Dazz Offline
addict
Dazz  Offline
addict

Hobart, Tasmania, Oz.
USA the land of the free and the brave...

CRAZINESS!

C2 AUS 222 by Goodall design
"Darph Bobo"
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: Dazz] #209421
04/24/10 12:42 AM
04/24/10 12:42 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Took me a while to find it, but here's the process of getting a PFD approved. I wonder how much UL charges, there is no talk of cost on the Coast Guard site.

APPROVAL GUIDANCE & INFORMATION: All PFDs are approved by the Coast Guard, but some require little or no direct USCG review prior to approval. All PFDs must be tested by the USCG’s Recognized Laboratory, which is Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. The Coast Guard will do a pre-approval review of any new concept prior to submitting it for testing to the Recognized Laboratory. (See discussion in “Note” below) Unless it is a new concept, most recreational PFDs may be submitted directly to the laboratory for approval.

Here's the Site

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209432
04/24/10 10:20 AM
04/24/10 10:20 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

smile

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: SurfCityRacing] #209435
04/24/10 10:37 AM
04/24/10 10:37 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing

That's what I said later in my post.

Jake Kohl
Re: The Unspoken PFD Conundrum [Re: mbounds] #209436
04/24/10 10:44 AM
04/24/10 10:44 AM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
We get into a P/S confrontation. I'm on stbd, you're on port. You "win" because of the SIs, but I immediately request redress because of the rule 86 violation. I win, you lose. No jury would think twice about it.

No I win because I chose the jury. If I'm going to change the rules in my hypothetical regatta I'm going to make sure the jury will go along with it. Basically this regatta would not be held under US Sailing rules.
This may sound kind of crazy but it has happened. Back many years ago I sailed some races under an experimental simplified set of rules. This was long before US Sailing adopted them and that's kind of my point. If there is enough consensus and the behavior of a majority of sailors does not conform to the rules, then eventually the rules will be changed to conform to the behavior.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022