06/16/03 08:30 PM
06/16/03 08:30 PM
Dayton, Ohio
BMoran Offline OP
stranger
BMoran  Offline OP
stranger

Dayton, Ohio
Since I purchased my boat used from Taipan America which shortly thereafter quit representing Taipan/AHPC, I am unfamiliar with the other U.S. agents. I am curious whether they stock parts for the T4.9 or if they order them from AHPC. In the past, JenniferL posted that she had to wait 6 weeks (?) to get parts. If I break something major on my boat, will I have to wait that long? And, if this is the case, can the T4.9 owners get together to stock some parts in the U.S.?

P.S. Michael - like the new do! Will I go faster if I shave my head (and is there a PS correction factor)?

Regards,
Bill Moran
T4.9 #224

--Advertisement--
Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: BMoran] #21005
06/17/03 06:45 AM
06/17/03 06:45 AM
Clearwater, FL
JenniferL Offline
JenniferL  Offline

Clearwater, FL
Hi Bill,

As far as I know, the only one who has any stock of Taipan parts is Guck, Inc and these are what were left over from Taipan America. You can visit their web sit ( Guck, Inc) to see what they have. The factor representatives that AHPC list are really of no help. The ones I have contacted don't have any spare parts and they don't have boats in stock. They say they will order anything for you but if you can order the parts yourself direct from the factor, why pay extra for the added factor rep markup. It is a shame that AHPC can't find a serious representative in the US that will really market the boat. The Taipan 4.9 is such a great boat and I think we would see the fleet grow quicker than it is if they were more readily available and supported.

As far as T4.9 owners stocking part, I have a few items but nothing major. All I have is an extra inspection port and a universal joint. I have two booms, one rear sheeting and one center sheeting so if I damage one I can always use the other. I just finished making a second rudder linkage bar which features a telescoping tiller extension. I like sailing uni with the fixed length one that came with the boat but I find myself hitting the crew in the face with it when I sail sloop. I havn't sailed the boat with crew recently so I havn't tried it yet. I have 3 main sails, 2 sloop and 1 cat, but only one jib and 1 spinnaker. Each main has its own set of battens. I did a beutiful swan dive into my original main sail and it now has a rather large and noticable patch in it (This was the sail Micheal was using at JPOR). I broke my spinnaker pole last year and built a new one from the spar off a Sunfish sail and the hardware off the old one. I didn't like my orginal pole so this gave me an opportunity to make it the way I wanted it. I think the problem with stocking parts is you will never have the part on hand that you need unless you own 2 boats, one to sail and one to canabilize for spare parts.

Jennifer
Taipan 4.9 #262

One more thing on spare parts [Re: JenniferL] #21006
06/17/03 07:07 AM
06/17/03 07:07 AM
Clearwater, FL
JenniferL Offline
JenniferL  Offline

Clearwater, FL
Another thing about spare part is that each boat in the US is slightly different. The rudders on old boats do not fit on new boats and visa versa. Older boats have a different tramp. There is quit a bit of variation on the jib block attachment method. Some are attached to loops of line on the tramp while others have a wire bridle under and through the tramp. These boat variations may make it difficult to stock parts for everyone.

Jennifer
Taipan 4.9 #262

Re: One more thing on spare parts [Re: JenniferL] #21007
06/17/03 10:26 AM
06/17/03 10:26 AM
Chuck Offline
journeyman
Chuck  Offline
journeyman

I had real good luck getting parts from AHPC when I needed them. I ordered all new rigging from Australia (through Andrew at AHPC)and had a 10 day turn around. They had a 4-5 day shipping option that was steep something like $130 ($70 US), but because of the dollar exchange - the whole thing still was what I would have payed if I had gotten the equivalent here.

I have had my boat for a couple of years now, and am really impressed with the durability - rigging and the rudder control arms are about all I have needed.

Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: BMoran] #21008
06/17/03 11:34 AM
06/17/03 11:34 AM
Orchard Park, NY
knewbury Offline
stranger
knewbury  Offline
stranger

Orchard Park, NY
Hi Bill,

Just curious, was it my slightly modified daggerboard that motivated your question?

I'd like to echo what Jennifer said regarding dealers/agents in the US. Once again (just last weekend), I had one of the other racers (a good sailor whom I've know for several years) ask me about dealers for the T4.9 & boat availability in the US. If the boats (and Taipan-specific parts) aren't readily available, all but the 'nothing else will do' people are just going to go and buy something else. Did Taipan America bail too soon?

K. Newbury
T4.9 USA 226

Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: knewbury] #21009
06/17/03 01:15 PM
06/17/03 01:15 PM
Dayton, Ohio
BMoran Offline OP
stranger
BMoran  Offline OP
stranger

Dayton, Ohio
Kenn - Yes it did! With my propensity to break or lose things, I started wondering what would happen if I broke a rudder or daggerboard and needed one in a reasonably short time. A ten day turnaround is pretty good...maybe if I was more of a hardcore racer I would want to have one overnighted. I also recall awhile back that someone was looking for rudder stocks.

Jennifer - You bring up a good point about the differences in some of the components for the same boat. Will the extruded aluminum rudder stocks fit on a boat that has the cast aluminum stocks, or vice versa? I know the carbon fiber will not. When you say universal joint are you referring to the mast stepping piece? I am also interested in what type of telescoping tiller you are using. I have gotten somewhat used to the one supplied with the boat but on light air days when I am toward the front of the boat it is inconvenient at best. At worst, I look like Chevy Chase trying to master some form of martial art during mark roundings.

Chuck - Ten days is no problem for me and I know the boat is tough so I am not too worried. But I was concerned about a 6 week lag which would really take some fun out of summer. However, I was wondering what would happen if one of us was at an important regatta and lost or destroyed an important part. If we had some spares in the states (perhaps distributed amongst the other T4.9 owners) then that part could be purchased/borrowed until a replacement came. I do not doubt that AHPC would do everything to support us....but they are so far away.

Do you still run your snuffer bag under your tramp?

Regards,
Bill

Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: BMoran] #21010
06/17/03 01:42 PM
06/17/03 01:42 PM
A
AnnapolisTaipan Offline
stranger
AnnapolisTaipan  Offline
stranger
A

Hi Bill

I am Chip Zenke of East Coast Sports, Taipan 4.9 importer and authorized Performance Catamaran Dealer. We currently have a new 2003 Taipan 4.9 in stock with Kevlar Skin, Carbon Rudder Stocks, and blades. We also carry spare rudder blades, dagger boards, hull cradles and EO snuffer Systems in stock. Jim Boyer recently visited our local area for two weeks and we had plenty of time to discuss the stocking of Taipan 4.9 parts. In the past, dealers did not stock that many parts because the dealer profit margins from AHPC did not make much sense. However, past AHPC dealers did not sell many boats either. Since dealers did not carry parts, AHPC customers became accustomed to buying direct from the Factory and not dealers. (by the way, selling boats is very time consuming from arranging shipping, pick up, dumping boxes, checking for damage, assembly, finding a buyer, and customer service once boat is sold, profits are in the parts that can be easily mailed and thus less time consuming.) New percentages have not been formalized, but are in the works since Jim’s visit here in the USA. Currently in comparison, U.S. boat margins are good enough to make profits on parts and we do stock a lot. Performance Catamarans also has a policy to not allow buyers to purchase directly from the factory. The only way I am able to sell the Taipan 4.9 is because of my profits from Performance Catamaran Sailboats. Since I already have a dealership set up, it’s not difficult to include the Taipan 4.9. We keep a Taipan 4.9 fully rigged and ready to sail at Podickory Yacht Club in Annapolis, MD for anyone who wants a free test ride!
My specialty has been creating the largest catamaran fleets in the country, and our local area is well on its way. We are the Annapolis Taipan Fleet 1, in less than a year we currently have 4 Taipan 4.9’s actively racing, Lee Mullins, myself (Chip Zenke), Chris, and Constantine. Looks like we have another used one on its way soon. We have also been in contact with AHPC about another shipment of new Taipan 4.9’s into the USA. We are also very Pro F-16!!!
How much effort have we put into getting the Taipan off the ground besides our own local Annapolis fleet? We have gone as far as Michigan from the East Coast to deliver one Taipan 4.9 to Gulfport, FL (Mike Hegan’s)! We spent the entire day rigging Mike’s boat and hanging out to give as much dealer support as possible. This one Taipan 4.9 helped the Gulfport Florida area get critical mass to create a Taipan Fleet, and soon after a used Taipan 4.9 was purchased directly from AHPC.
Again, AHPC is taking notice of dealers that have the ability to create fleets, and is making adjustments to reward them for positive results. I think the future looks great for Taipan 4.9 sailors, if you need a new boat or part give us a try,

East Coast Sports
Chip Zenke
www.sailfastusa.com
410-257-5425

Hitting the crew with the tiller [Re: JenniferL] #21011
06/17/03 03:14 PM
06/17/03 03:14 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

jennifer,

After much complaining from me crews I learned myself to steer the boat with the tiller resting on my shoulder.

This seems to work very well when the skipper in inboard and the crew is in the trapeze. The tiller extention is still pointing outwards but also flying 3 ft above the head of teh crew and therefor well away. It also helps in not hitting the bouys.

Of course when double trapping there is no issue and any grip will work here.

I just though this technic could be helpfull.

Regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: AnnapolisTaipan] #21012
06/17/03 03:51 PM
06/17/03 03:51 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

>>I am Chip Zenke of East Coast Sports, Taipan 4.9 importer and authorized Performance Catamaran Dealer.

So it is official now. Great.

Then let me also take this opportunity to welcome Chip and thank him for his efforts in the class thus far.

From early on Chip has really put some energy into showing the potential of teh Taipan 4.9 design and its potential with a spi under the Formula 16 rules.

The creation of such an involved importer, dealer adn promotor is very welcome and will strenghten the 16 foot scene in the USA alot in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to a fruitful future cooperation.

>>We keep a Taipan 4.9 fully rigged and ready to sail at Podickory Yacht Club in Annapolis, MD for anyone who wants a free test ride!

I thank Michael, Mike C. and Chuck for handling this aspect in the absense of a committed AHPC representative. But of course the fact that the official representative is offering this is a great development.

Note, that everybody who has tried a F16 and compared to it alternatives (other 16 and 17 footer) finally decided to go with one of the F16's. This test ride business is one of the best selling points as it clearly demonstrates the potential of the platforms.

I hoping the provide this service with my own boat in a few weeks over here in NL. Till now Geert has been kind enough to show his boat to interested parties. It is a very important service.

>>Looks like we have another used one on its way soon. We have also been in contact with AHPC about another shipment of new Taipan 4.9’s into the USA. We are also very Pro F-16!!!

And that is music to my ears. The base foundations platforms like the Taipan and Stealth were good fast boats but halve of the story is class organisation. And of course the trend in both EU and USA that a beach catamaran should be fitted with a spi or be regarded as less desirable. The two tier appraoch of creating a formula class next to individual one-design classes makes perfect sense and allows to best use of a platform and its flexibility. An example of this was of course the JPOR regatta. The sailor could agree upon uni-rig without spi and that increased both participation and enjoyment. The next time they can well agree on sailing with a sloop + spi and have fun in that configuration. Like others as John Pierce, Kirt and even Phill, I noticed that it is exactly this flexibility combined with allowances for modifications that attract new sailors to this concept. Even I choose to go with this concept because of it flexibility to adjust the sailplan to the conditions and crew make-up. I find that this conviction has taken a hold with sailors and builders alike. And it will be this realisation and determination to make this concept of inclusiveness work that will make the classes (both one-design and formula) grow.

Welcome Chip.

Regards,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: Wouter] #21013
06/17/03 07:43 PM
06/17/03 07:43 PM
A
AnnapolisTaipan Offline
stranger
AnnapolisTaipan  Offline
stranger
A

Thanks Wouter

Do you have F-16 Class legal stickers and official registration forms? All of the Taipans in Annapolis are running Spinnakers, thus F-16's all the way! Formula racing is the future and a great way to include more boats and race fairly: One design is awesome, racing Formula is the way to crank up the volume. Inclusiveness that respects individual preferences can't go wrong. Let's get the ball rollin in the USA,
Cheers, Chip

f16 logo [Re: AnnapolisTaipan] #21014
06/17/03 08:02 PM
06/17/03 08:02 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
Been waiting for a quote for F16 sail insignias. If you know another person who does this type of work. Sooner we can do it the better. Between the US, Europe, Australia, and South Africa, does anyone know how many should be made up??

Also, Wouter mentioned updating the website at some point. When that happens, an online registration and location database for all F16 boats would be great. I envision a clickable world map that would show where all the F16 boats are.

BTW, it's nice to hear that AHPC has an official US dealer. Since I recently went through the process of ordering a boat, arranging shipping, etc, etc--and still will have to put it together--I can really appreciate the value and benefit of a dealer.

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: f16 logo [Re: ejpoulsen] #21015
06/18/03 03:19 AM
06/18/03 03:19 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Guys,

>>>Been waiting for a quote for F16 sail insignias. If you know another person who does this type of work.

Steve In South Africa seems to be able to help us out here. Recently he indicated to me that he has connections in this field.

>Also, Wouter mentioned updating the website at some point. When that happens, an online registration and location database for all F16 boats would be great. I envision a clickable world map that would show where all the F16 boats are.

Yes, Indeed, if only I new how to do that sort of thing. Seems that my update on HTML is long overdue.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: AnnapolisTaipan] #21016
06/18/03 03:22 AM
06/18/03 03:22 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

>>Do you have F-16 Class legal stickers and official registration forms

Registration has been layed back up till now but indeed not long now and we 'll need a more firm procedure.

We're working on the class stickers (Thanks Eric and Steve) and I think I will get busy on the registration and measurement forms / procedure.

I will have the last ready next week.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: f16 logo [Re: ejpoulsen] #21017
06/18/03 03:41 AM
06/18/03 03:41 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Eric,

I would imagine it to be easier for each class rep. to arrange logo`s for their own region, to this end I`ve asked our graphic supplier to give me a quote for logos on stickyback vinyl for application to cloth, price will be dependant on numbers ordered. Perhaps this would make it cheaper to have them all made by one supplier & sent out to the class reps for distribution.
I work for a graphic design company, if whoever has the artwork can e-mail it to me I`m sure I can have them done.
The exchange rate would also favour you guys, probably be cheaper than you can imagine, even after courier & custom charges (if these are applicable). They could just be sent via speedpost & would probably incur no import duties.
So, If you have the artwork please send to me so I can get a price. I would imagine that we should order a batch of 150 (2 per boat ?), and send 10-15 sets to each regional class rep depending on their needs.

Cheers
Steve

POLL ! [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #21018
06/18/03 04:09 AM
06/18/03 04:09 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Steve,

I will send the logo file to you. I will also send you (and Eric) the e-mail you've send me but not to eachother. Lets work this out with the three of us.

I'm personally favouring the one-supplier - send it to each local branch approach. The mail costs should be pretty minimal.

I do think however that when we do something like this that we should either get a sponsor or start asking membership fees.

I have no time looking for a sponsor so someone else has to do that or we'll go for a modest membership fee that will cover the registration, issue of class insignia and pay for the (hosting of the) website.

Not included will be the measurement of the boat for compliance; Unless a local branch is willing to set up a volunteer squad to do this task at a few specified regatta's. Open to public to keep things fair. This last option is what I'm leaning towards too.

All other stuff will still be free. I also like the fact that a crew can participate for free to get to know the class. So Maybe we should decide on making the first year membership (no issue of insignia) free without an automatic transition to payed membership.

A quick calculation shows that we need at minimum US$ 25,- / 25 Euro's / 40 Aus$ to do the job well.

Would this be unacceptable to you ?

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: POLL ! [Re: Wouter] #21019
06/18/03 04:56 AM
06/18/03 04:56 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Wouter,
While I realise that there are costs associated with running the class, we need to keep these to a minimum - no sailor in South Africa would pay $25 US for membership fees, as this converts out to R200. For comparison, class membership fees for our Mosquito class is half that, my annual yacht club membership fees are R280 (Approx. $35).
I don`t believe you would get any paying members in South Africa, and the class would then dissolve here.
I would propose that the class reps find out how many logo`s they are likely to need, and take orders from their "class members" before the logo`s are made. Perhaps if we can get them made at a low cost they could be sold on to members at a profit to generate funds for the class, and other similar methods of raising funds to run the web-site etc could be looked into.(Perhaps a nominal registration fee for F16 class sailors at each regatta in addition to the regatta entrance fee could be implemented ?)
I`m just looking at ways of promoting class growth, without scaring prospective members away.

Cheers
Steve

Re: POLL ! [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #21020
06/18/03 06:30 AM
06/18/03 06:30 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Noted Steve,

Well 25 euro's in my case is only 1/40 of the costs I spend on my sailing Hobbie a year. Maybe we should differentied between different area's. Maybe we should make it proportional to the average annual income. In my case (Netherlands) that would be 1/1000 annual average salary. Or we could make three groups like :

-1- Average annual income less than ? than pay x US
-2- Average annual income between ? and ? Than pay 2*X US
-3- Average annual income over ? than pay 3*X US

Would that work / be acceptable ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: T4.9 Parts Availability [Re: AnnapolisTaipan] #21021
06/18/03 08:39 AM
06/18/03 08:39 AM
49er Offline
journeyman
49er  Offline
journeyman

Mr Chip Zenke,

"My speciality is building the largest catamaran fleets in the country"-what are you smoking? 4 Taipans (two of which are shared between your girlfriend, Lee Mullins, and yourself) does not make a fleet! Besides, how many times have all of these Taipans raced together as F-16s in any real regattas? Did they all race at Gunpowder? NO, only one. Did they show at the Delaware State Championships? Only one. Did any show for the Chesapeake 100? NO, none. Are any coming to the Summer Sizzler, after Oliver made a special invitation to the class? Don't know, but guess not. In fact, have you raced a F-16 in any real regattas (not beer can races)? No fleet in the Chesapeake, that is for sure.

Why not start racing in this "Fleet"? The Taipan is a great boat, but the F-16 class has yet to show any tendency to build fleet participation in regattas in the Mid-Atlantic or anywhere else in the USA. Suggest that the F-16 class take Rick Whites advise and go sailing (racing)! Outside of Hobie Cats, only the I-20 and F-18HTs have fleets of note in the mid-Atalantic. Even, there the F-18HTs only muster about 10 boats at their regattas. In the Mid-Atlantic,he I-20s only attend distance races as a class and rarely, if ever, show as a class in bouy races. We need some other class to step forward-There is plenty of room for the F-16 class, but someone has to make the first big step-go to major regattas as a class! Good luck to the class, but let's keep the claims real.

Re: POLL ! [Re: Wouter] #21022
06/18/03 09:03 AM
06/18/03 09:03 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Sounds a bit compicated, and you`re then asking skippers to declare what they earn. If you knew what I earn in US $ you would all have a good laugh !
I think a fee of $10 (for SA members)would be acceptable to belong to the class, certainly for now.If the US sailors think $25 is acceptable, and guys in EU think 25 Euro is affordable, then that`s what they should pay. If in future the class is doing a lot for the sailors that they can actively see, then they would consider paying more for the benefits. It`s just that we earn non-comparative salaries - a guy earning $3000 in the US can consider a Taipan - it is only 3 months income. A Taipan imported to SA would cost R76 000 BEFORE adding import duties & tax,probably R100 000 all included. 10 months income for a graduate professional with an above-average income. (See why we have no Taipans ?)
Asking us to pay $25 is like asking the US sailors to pay $200, I`m sure they would also protest !
If you can settle on $10, I`m sure I can sell that to the members.

Cheers
Steve

Re: POLL ! [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #21023
06/18/03 10:00 AM
06/18/03 10:00 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

>>>Sounds a bit compicated, and you`re then asking skippers to declare what they earn.

No, I was refering to the national average income. This data is often readily available and does infringe on privacy. It is also a measure that other can verify for themselfs. It will also make the decision how gets a break less arbitrary.

I'm also thinking about nations like Brazil where we have F16 leads that might materialize.

>>I think a fee of $10 (for SA members)would be acceptable to belong to the class, certainly for now.

That would be fine with me but I think this is a class decision. IF we are going to differentiate in membership costs (and I think you have a good case for it) than I want it it be supported by the class.

Of course if we can limit the cost overall we can lower the membership fee.

>>If the US sailors think $25 is acceptable, and guys in EU think 25 Euro is affordable, then that`s what they should pay.

I think something like this is acceptable to us in Europe and USA.

>>Asking us to pay $25 is like asking the US sailors to pay $200, I`m sure they would also protest !
If you can settle on $10, I`m sure I can sell that to the members.

I'm open to the suggestion but I do think we need a fair system that alots fees relative to moneytary ability that is fair to all and also easy to comprehend. Otherwise we risk running into the argument of why some has to pay more than some-else. And I want to avoid that very much.

Maybe some of the other have an elegant solution for this ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022