06/16/10 10:09 AM
06/16/10 10:09 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Live coverage of the Great Texas 300 this week on JustinTV an Sailing Anarchy.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102616&st=25

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #214011
06/16/10 07:59 PM
06/16/10 07:59 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

First Four boats in:
Ruff Rider
Team Velocitek
Team TCDYC
Team Jost

Storm rolled in after the first two and Team TCDYC capsized three times on their way in. Team Jost Lost their main and came in with just their jib and Spin.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: cyberspeed] #214013
06/16/10 08:18 PM
06/16/10 08:18 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Sailing Anarchy Video Feed >>> Sailing Anarchy Video Feed >>>

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: cyberspeed] #214028
06/17/10 07:57 AM
06/17/10 07:57 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Seems two boats had to set off their 'pirbs last night. 35 knot squalls hit the fleet.

Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: ThunderMuffin] #214032
06/17/10 09:39 AM
06/17/10 09:39 AM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

From GT300.com
Wednesday, June 16th – Day One – South Padre Island to Mustang Island

The day started off with a 9 AM Skippers’ Meeting at a 10 AM start from the beach. The winds and the surf were light, so chutes popped open on most of the boats before they even left the beach. Most teams had very little difficulty making it through the surf, but TCDYC were slower getting out into it. By 10:15 all teams were out and on their ways to Mustang Island.

All seemed to be going well, until a storm was spotted on the radar, and those of us on the beach were concerned about the number of teams that would be caught in it. As we patiently waited, the first team was sighted around the Corpus Christi Jetties between 5:30 and 6:00 PM. Team RuffRider hit the beach first, followed by Team Velocitek about 8 minutes later and Team TCDYC about 30 minutes later.

The storm we saw on the radar finally hit us on Mustang Island and brought with it heavy winds and quite a bit of rain. The temperature also cooled off and after the storm passed, the wind died down significantly. Team Yost limped their way across the finish line with no boom or main sail and a hole in their spinnaker, followed a little over 30 minutes later by Team Salva Vida Vela. Team Poison Girl came in about 20 minutes after that. Team Rudderless made it in around 9 PM, with you guessed it, one rudder. Steve Piche said that they came up on the back side of the storm and that’s when things got nasty. Team Chums hit the darkened beach about an hour and half later and Team Jack Flash finally arrived about 35 minutes after that.

During the early evening, the Race Committee and some team managers also received phone calls and text messages speaking of trouble and difficulties out on the water. Per their team manager, Team Corpus had some torn sails and made it into the beach on the other side of the Jetties. Fortunately, they were safely picked up there by their team manager.

Unfortunately, Team Pacmen and Team Quiksilver both turtled their boats and required Coast Guard rescue. But the main thing is that both these teams are safe and sound on dry land.

This morning we are headed out to the beach to see what damage the daylight reveals.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: cyberspeed] #214035
06/17/10 10:16 AM
06/17/10 10:16 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Thanks for the updates Craig. Most importantly....its good to hear that all are safe. Hopefully boats can be recovered now.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: ksurfer2] #214037
06/17/10 10:25 AM
06/17/10 10:25 AM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

You know me Karl...I love endurance catamaran racing!

I have done/worked many forms of racing and this by far is my favorite. My wife claims I sail for the stories.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: cyberspeed] #214038
06/17/10 10:28 AM
06/17/10 10:28 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
My wife claims I sail for the stories.

Isn't that why we all do it?

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: ksurfer2] #214046
06/17/10 11:42 AM
06/17/10 11:42 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Really surprised that only two boats started properly this morning!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: John Williams] #214054
06/17/10 03:00 PM
06/17/10 03:00 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
From Songcat on SA.
Team Quiksilver have gone on to Matagorda with no luck finding their boat after 5 hours of searching.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: ksurfer2] #214055
06/17/10 03:01 PM
06/17/10 03:01 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
Hopefully boats can be recovered now.

If the condition of the boat and sea state does not put the coast guard vessel in harms way, get all non necessary people off of your boat and look the coast guard skipper right in the eye and tell him with authority in your voice:

"I am the skipper of this vessel. If you want to save me you have to save the vessel."

I would not have abandoned my boat. Sea Tow is cheaper than a boat. I have been in similar situations in the Atlantic Ocean and it has worked for me. Also be prepared to back up your statement.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: cyberspeed] #214056
06/17/10 04:11 PM
06/17/10 04:11 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
If the condition of the boat and sea state does not put the coast guard vessel in harms way, get all non necessary people off of your boat and look the coast guard skipper right in the eye and tell him with authority in your voice:

"I am the skipper of this vessel. If you want to save me you have to save the vessel."
Right. Maybe it'll work with a 60 footer, and I have doubts, but with a beach cat? The coast guard skipper is more likely to "inadvertently" drive over one of your hull before plucking you out of the water. Apologizing for the damage of course. Not to mention that you are assuming that a boat came out for them, from what I heard an helicopter was involved, it's hard to tow a boat from an heli (Alinghi did it, I know).

Depending where you are, if what's left of the boat could be a danger to navigation the coast guard also have the authority to sink the rescued vessel. And they'll do it.

Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: pepin] #214057
06/17/10 04:17 PM
06/17/10 04:17 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
What about scrambling a chase boat and looking for Mike's boat?

j

Last edited by SurfCityRacing; 06/17/10 09:15 PM. Reason: for thorough understanding
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: pepin] #214060
06/17/10 04:55 PM
06/17/10 04:55 PM
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

I have had two similar situations with coast guard and it is their job to save lives. If in order to save the life, they have to save the vessel... In both instances they helped me save the boat.

The first situation was a typical dismast. In the second situation, we broke a Supercat 20 in half. In 15-25mph winds, 4'-6'-8' seas the dolphin striker broke and the boat folded into itself and both crossbars broke in two. We had five people aboard and by the time the coast guard reached us we just about had everything as secure as we could get it. I stayed on the supercat until we approached the inlet so I could minimize damages. The boat was trying to poke holes into itself. I told them that I would get on their boat to go through the inlet as long as they did not release my boat unless it put their boat in jeapardy. They agreed and the boat was safely recovered.

They used to try to save property until they got sued too many times. Chances are high that there was no damage or minimal damage to the catamaran. If Sea Tow or Tow Boat 1 works the area, you are better off calling these guys and paying them than to abandon the vessel. The coast guards can also hail them. It would take a lot to get me to abandon my boat.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: pepin] #214061
06/17/10 05:32 PM
06/17/10 05:32 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by pepin

Depending where you are, if what's left of the boat could be a danger to navigation the coast guard also have the authority to sink the rescued vessel. And they'll do it.

Wasn't there a video floating around about two guys getting picked up by a helicopter and they just left the catamaran there still turtled.

Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: SurfCityRacing] #214063
06/17/10 07:51 PM
06/17/10 07:51 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Chase boat?

j

Here we go again... What's the point of a chase boat?

Chase and watch the action??? I don't think so.

What you are actually implying is that you want a race Crash boat to pick up the pieces for someone's personal crisis.

Chase boats and Safety boats are extremely problematic raising all sorts of expectations or implications for all involved. (How many safety boats... what training for people on a safety boat, What if they failed to observe a crash and a disaster then occurs? Is clueless newbie counting on the crash boat to save his butt so he will push the envelope on the OA's dime?)

IMO, J is a good Samaritan on a power boat who will try to assist in events he is attending...
Fantastic... but no competitor should ever entertain the notion that J will save their butt.

There is always a tradeoff for an organizing authority for beach cats and big mono's or multihulls... when they allow beach cats to race... What is the chance that one of their non catamaran competitors will have to drop out or request redress for assisting the beach cat in the middle of his personal crisis... If beach cats get the rep that we just count on the slow monohulls to bail us out... that is just not fair and we won't be invited to play again.

Our form of racing is inherently a bit riskier and we need to make sure the culture of self rescue and sufficiency is well known. Responsibility is always on the captain. Now a days we do a pretty good job of communicating the culture to the world at large and our sailors ... We hail Mayday when life is a risk.. We handle property issues on our own. Since the GT300 sailors triggered the epurb's.... they felt that life was at risk.... the property is replaceable or just lost.

Years ago a competitor fired off a flare in a C100.. The CG scrambled a helicopter...and were not able to find the shooters... Lots of bitching to the RC about where was the emergency... eventually the offenders sailed in under their own power. The crisis... well it was very dark and they were being separated from a tow in the distance. Bottom line.... Our mistake for not educating the sailor.... His mistake for not educating himself.

I have noticed that the west coast sailors seem to have chase boats on their distance courses. It may actually be required by the OA to allow the beach cat class to enter. This is very different then the other coasts. I don't think it's a real solution and designating "chase boats" is a bad idea all around.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: Mark Schneider] #214064
06/17/10 08:34 PM
06/17/10 08:34 PM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Having chase boats on hand reduces the chance of a bad situation getting worse. It will not prevent an accident to happen, but by providing quick relief it avoids the risk of additional injury happening.

Look at how it's done in the Solent (UK). The dots are chase boats. They follow the competitors around to keep the race team informed of what's happening and to communicate to the competitors any change in the course (there was a shorten course in that particular event).

The sailing instructions however make clear that they are here eventually to help people but that they cannot be held responsible if they do not act. And if they act it's to save people and not boats. There is a huge disclaimer in the NOR:

Competitors participate in the regatta entirely at their own risk. See RRS 4, Decision to Race. Neither the organizing authority nor ISAF will accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.

And BTW, the people manning club chase boats in the UK have three certificates: At a minimum level 2 powerboat, first aid and safety boat.

Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: Mark Schneider] #214066
06/17/10 09:03 PM
06/17/10 09:03 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

What's the point of a chase boat?

Dude, Mark, Take a deep breath big fella. What I was saying is scramble a f-ing chase boat and go get the cats that were left out there.(fixed it) Save some $$ for the owners. Every time cat sailors get rescued here in CA the bill is at least a couple of grand to get them back from Vessel Assist. Oftentimes it's not worth it because they're so trashed from being towed upside down at 15 knots for however far.

And since you opened up that can of whoopass, you can ask anyone that has been pulled from the water, or righted, or assisted in any other way how they felt about having a chase boat on course.

Your rant is politically motivated in some way and really doesn't dignify a thorough response. From me anyway...

You guys have at it. I'm enjoying the coverage and info of the GT300 on this and other threads.

Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: SurfCityRacing] #214067
06/17/10 09:10 PM
06/17/10 09:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Chase boat?

j

The CG also responded to a powerboat which set off it's EPIRB. Gusting to 40 in a squall with launching and landing points a good distance away,(This place is desolate) you'd have had to have a pretty substantial chase boat with a good range and high speed. Don't see it happening on a beachcat budget.I think it was handled properly.It sucks about Mike's boat, but it still may turn up.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: GT 300 Live coverage [Re: SurfCityRacing] #214068
06/17/10 09:45 PM
06/17/10 09:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

What's the point of a chase boat?

Dude, Mark, Take a deep breath big fella. What I was saying is scramble a f-ing chase boat and go get the cats that were left out there.(fixed it) Save some $$ for the owners. Every time cat sailors get rescued here in CA the bill is at least a couple of grand to get them back from Vessel Assist. Oftentimes it's not worth it because they're so trashed from being towed upside down at 15 knots for however far.

And since you opened up that can of whoopass, you can ask anyone that has been pulled from the water, or righted, or assisted in any other way how they felt about having a chase boat on course.

Your rant is politically motivated in some way and really doesn't dignify a thorough response. From me anyway...

You guys have at it. I'm enjoying the coverage and info of the GT300 on this and other threads.

It's too bad nobody had a buddy with a boat that could have gone and looked last night after it calmed down. I don't know how far to the nearest inlet with a ramp but my guess is it would be pretty far.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022