11/27/05 01:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rick:

I just got this. I informed Damon and Hotmail. Wish we could put these ASSHOLES in jail!!

Doug

Hello,
Thanks for getting to me fast. mere reading your mail i see how honest you are.

haven read your mail i will contact my colleague who is indebted to me.so he will be sending you the us cheque. mind you he will be sending a check of the total amount of money he owes me which is $990 when you get the check,go and deposit it in your account and when it has been transfered to your account you deduct your $74 and forward the remaining to my shipping company in Dublin Ireland through western union money transfer.

The shipping company will be coming for the pickup of the item,that is three days after you have sent them funds.the funds will be meant for the shipping and clearing arrangement of the item. i hope i can count on you for my portion after you have deducted your $75

I WILL NEED YOUR NAME,ADDRESS AND YOUR PHONE NUMBER FOR THE ADDRESSION OF THE CHECK.

Thanks
Kelv.

>From: "Doug Snell"
>To:
>Subject: Re: The Beachcats Classifieds
>Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:25:17 -0600
>
> Kevin:
>
> I can try to take a photo this week, it is in storage unit. It is like >new condition, has a few scratches. I only used it 3 or 4 times, I just liked boom better. It is missing front cap but you had to take it off and on anyway to get it on. Just works better without it. I want $75 plus
>shipping ( whatever UPS charges to you zip) a new one is a lot more that >that.
>
> Doug Snell
> 281-326-2702
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From:
> To:
> Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:27 PM
> Subject: The Beachcats Classifieds
>
>
> > Hello Doug Snell,
> >
> > User mark_0007 from The Beachcats sends you these comments/questions
>about your ad 'Hobie 17 Boomlet':
> >
> >
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is Mr Kelvin Moore,the reason why i mailed you
> >
> > was that i saw you advert placed on net that you want
> >
> > to sell the above mention proparty
> >
> >
> >
> > please if is still available kindly tell me?
> >
> >
> >
> > 1.the current condition[tell if negotiable]
> >
> > 2.your asking price
> >
> > 3.the item picture
> >
> > 4.phone number
> >
> >
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > kelv.
> >
> > To answer this message send email: kelvmoore@hotmail.com
> >
> > Thank you!
> > The Beachcats Classifieds
> >
> >
>
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Ridiculous [Re: ] #21965
11/27/05 01:26 AM
11/27/05 01:26 AM
Fort Loramie, Ohio
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast
jmhoying  Offline
enthusiast

Fort Loramie, Ohio
I got the same email from Kelvin this evening concerning my P18 for sale at thebeachcats.com. I figured that it was a scam and haven't replied. I also forwarded the message to Dammon.
Jack

Jack Hoying Fort Loramie, Ohio
Re: Ridiculous [Re: jmhoying] #21966
11/27/05 02:07 AM
11/27/05 02:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jack:

If you still have it, send it to Hotmail like I did. Maybe we can put this guy in jail for mail fraud.
Doug

Re: Ridiculous [Re: ] #21967
11/27/05 08:42 AM
11/27/05 08:42 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Hotmail isn't going to do anything about it. These emails are coming from overseas and even the government has a tough go at it. There is a government organization setup to handle these although I can't recall the address....and it's pretty apparent that they aren't being terribly effective.

Jake Kohl
Re: Ridiculous [Re: Jake] #21968
11/28/05 12:13 PM
11/28/05 12:13 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
There is a government organization setup to handle these although I can't recall the address....and it's pretty apparent that they aren't being terribly effective.

It is not that they are inefficient, they just have bigger scams in their hands. Take a look at this one (aimed at investment managers).

Luiz

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:04:48 +0100
Subject: PARTNERSHIP INVESTMENT PROPOSAL

Dearest, My name is DAVIS MBEKI, the son of Mr LAURENT MBEKI, the former Minister in Cote d’Ivoire, I have money which I inherit from my father that I want you to help me invest in your Country into a good business. I want you to know that the transfer charges to get this money ransferred to the account you are going to provide for me will be taken care by me The total amount of this money is ($5.5 Million American dollars) which my father acquired when he was in service as the Minister. My father is now 72 years old and he is very sick. It was now that he is old and sick that he decided to allow me to inherit his wealth as his
only child and he is the one that proposed this idea to me to invest the money in Overseas through a reputable and honest person who has the investment experience to manage this fund on my behalf in his / her company/ organization until I finish my university education as a medical student for the next five years, that is why I will confide the fund with you for the period of five years while you will be given me 10% of the interest per year and you will be depositing it into my personal account every year and after the period of five years then I will take over my fund which is the total amount of ($5.5 Million dollars ) and will be Deposit to my personal account after the period of five years. Please if you are capable and honest I can relied on you as long as our mutual agreement is concern. Below are the requirements needed from you for our mutual agreement regarding the procedures of this proposal: ( 1) THE ACCOUNT INFORMATION WHERE THIS MONEY WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO . ( 2 ) PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT, ( 3) A COPY OF YOUR DRIVING LICENCE. ( 4) YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER FOR COMMUNICATION. These information are to be used for our mutual agreement which both us will signed before we proceed this transaction. Meanwhile I will send you the photocopy of my international passport as well my student Identity card for a prove to you upon your acceptance by providing the above mentioned requirements. All these information are highly needed for this Transaction. Best Regards DAVIS MBEKI
UNQUOTE

Luiz
Re: Scammers just reinvent themselves! Beware! [Re: RickWhite] #21969
02/13/06 04:19 AM
02/13/06 04:19 AM
Essex, UK
Jalani Offline
veteran
Jalani  Offline
veteran

Essex, UK
It's not strictly a classifieds scam, but it's a scam all the same. This warning is currently circulating in Europe:

[color:"red"] VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam [/color]

Quote: This information is worth reading. By understanding how the scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

The Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card that was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £3249.99 from a Marketing company based in (name of any town or city)?"

When you say "No" the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been
watching and the charges range from £3150 to £3249, just under the £3250 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800
number listed on the back of your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him.

After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct,
I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back; if you do", and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £3249.99 was charged to our card.

Long story made short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them.

Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost to late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily!

They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is
happening. Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By
informing each other, we protect each other.

John Alani
Re: Scammers just reinvent themselves! Beware! [Re: Jalani] #21970
02/13/06 08:11 AM
02/13/06 08:11 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
John,

You are not alone and it is not only in the U.K. Bonnie and I had a friend here in the states approached by the same identical routine. They seem to be getting smarter. I wonder where they are getting the card number information (and why we haven't seen this in the news yet)?

Jake Kohl
Re: Scammers just reinvent themselves! Beware! [Re: Jake] #21971
02/13/06 09:11 AM
02/13/06 09:11 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
I believe they get the information in two ways.

1: Stolen. This can be after break-ins at diverse netshops, pishing (you are redirected to a fake website who looks just like e.g. your bank), or "social engineering" as described by John.

2: Bought from dishonest operators of stores, netshops etc.

I know there is a whole industry trading and selling credit card information. Personally, I never let the card out of sight when using it in stores/restaurants etc. And I am careful about where I use it online.

Re: Scammers just reinvent themselves! Beware! [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #21972
02/13/06 10:13 AM
02/13/06 10:13 AM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
This problem is so common that some card issuers block the credit card for any transaction without the actual card. For each online transaction you have to request them to temporarily allow online transactions.
It is not efficient, but is certainly safer.

Luiz
Re: Scammers just reinvent themselves! Beware! [Re: Luiz] #21973
02/14/06 12:11 PM
02/14/06 12:11 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline OP

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
At our store here on this site, we had a lot of bogus charges that were fraudulant a year or so back because back then our card authorizing company did not require the security number.
Now they do and the fraudulant purchases have just about ceased.
Yet, with this new scam it seems the bad guys are trying to find a way around that.

Thanks for the report.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: Jake] #21974
12/01/06 11:01 AM
12/01/06 11:01 AM
Jacksonville, FL
S
stormcloud Offline
stranger
stormcloud  Offline
stranger
S

Jacksonville, FL
This scam has been going on for years in the auto industry as well, and every year they keep polishing this dog and pony show. Jake is correct, they will send a check, but in the all too long term it will bounce. Because hi tech printers forge money orders and cashiers checks these days with relative ease, I no longer accept payment through these means for vehicles I sell online anymore, it is too risky. We use bank wire transfer, or cash upon delivery. We have had no problems with that, and the customers understand that fraud is rampant and are happy to comply. I usually credit them 25.00 to cover their bank wire cost on their end as well. Hope this helps someone stay safe, it's a tough world these days.

Tom
Jacksonville, FL
Hobie 16

Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: stormcloud] #21975
05/28/07 09:31 PM
05/28/07 09:31 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
We've seen many different type of scams but this one hits a new low.

The Nigerian Puppy Scam
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-puppyscam29may29,0,6595076.story?coll=la-home-center

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: hobie1616] #21976
05/28/07 09:44 PM
05/28/07 09:44 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Link to article

Of all the things our government is capable of...why can't they shut down the Nigerian internet scams?

In April, a Manhattan woman was charged with grand larceny for collecting fees for English bulldog puppies online and then not delivering them. She allegedly told local investigators she shared the proceeds with a Nigerian accomplice.

Jake Kohl
Re: Wire transfers [Re: Jake] #21977
06/08/07 07:41 PM
06/08/07 07:41 PM
Utah, USA
AlphaGJohn Offline
stranger
AlphaGJohn  Offline
stranger

Utah, USA
One other thing to be aware of when receiving money via wire transfers: there's not going to be a way for someone on the far end of the deal to know that the money was received by your bank and is in your account. They request the money be transferred, but once that happens, the rest is a black box--they don't have any way to know when the funds will show up in your account. So, if they pretend they do know, be on your guard. (We've received wire payments from clients of my computer consulting business overseas and they have no notion of when the funds show up--and it isn't instantaneous.)

One more thing (and this is astounding that Rick and Mary's bank didn't spot this immediately): a wire transfer will almost always also show a deduction in your account for receiving the transfer ($15 to $30--as per the posting above by stormcloud). There's almost always a charge on both ends and the person sending the money won't know what your bank's charge is so an even amount--like $12,000 is also a danger sign. ($11,975 would be a lot more belivable--but only if they account for their own bank's origination charge.)

BTW, for overseas payments (including large amounts), PayPal works very nicely. We use it to pay consultants in Canada and Australia that do work for us. They have excellent protections for both parties in place.

Ciao!

John

John Craig Utah County, Utah '95 Hobie Wave
Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: RickWhite] #21978
06/17/07 06:27 PM
06/17/07 06:27 PM
N
Nick_F Offline
stranger
Nick_F  Offline
stranger
N

Selling a strip built sea kayak and a road bike on craigslist, I've recieved about 4 of these

ex. an actual email I recieved:

"Hello, thank you for your respnse, am satisfied with the price and condition of the item and i want you to know that am out of town for an official purpose and i want you to go and withrew t he item from the list and keep it for me, i will ask my client to send you a cashier or certified check,overpayment of $2000which when you recieve it, you will take it to the cash point and have it cashed, then you will deduct your item fund and help send the rest to my mover via western union or moneygram, he is also helping picking up some other item in your area and i want you to know that is after the check cleared that my mover will come for the pick up and am very sure that you will recieve the payment before this week runs out and i want you to know that am a person that you can trust, so i need your full name,valid address and your number so that the payment can be made quickly,pls reply asap."

craigslist also has a page about these scams:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: RickWhite] #21979
07/18/07 04:30 PM
07/18/07 04:30 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
LOOK FAMILIAR...This guy is too stupid to deal with...

thom

mikecolins_auto@yahoo.com

mike colins <mikecolins_auto@yahoo.com> wrote:
Thank you for your response,after discussing
with my client who really commended your boat
instructed to move on with the deal at the price of
($4,750),he said he will be going on a vacation soon
and will rest virtually all the transaction on my
shoulder and assign a shipper like wise that i will
work with and stressed that he will be issuing out a
cashier check of ($10,750) which was a refund payment
of a cancelled order earlier made by him but
will be filed in your name,you are only required to
deduct the cost of your boat($4,750) and
send the differece ($6,000) when payment gets to you to a
shipping agent whoose information will be given to
you as at when due, he will be needing the fund to
offset shipping charges, taxes and other c osmetic
repairs/touches,the agent will be responsible for
signing andtransferin! g of title paper and also pickup.
So i require of you to send me your
NAME,ADDRESS
AND
PHONE NUMBER for payment to be delivered to you via
fedex courier services All other information needed
in completion of this transaction will be given to
you in due time.
thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.

Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: thom] #21980
07/18/07 05:15 PM
07/18/07 05:15 PM
South Louisiana, USA
Clayton Offline
old hand
Clayton  Offline
old hand

South Louisiana, USA
Tell the "agent" to cash the check and bring you the money. Not that they would do that... Saw a forum where a gentleman really worked over the scam artist (in the literal sense) kind of like conning the con man. Not recommended for the average person as it could get dicey.

Clayton

Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: Clayton] #21981
07/29/07 12:08 PM
07/29/07 12:08 PM
Texas, USA
txnacra479 Offline
stranger
txnacra479  Offline
stranger

Texas, USA
I run online classifieds in another venue. One of my sellers was scammed. Since then I have offered this info:

If you have been a VICTIM of the Nigeria Counterfeit Check Scam (or any scam like this), contact the US Secret Service, the lead agency fighting this fraud. Call 202-406-5572, or write to: US Secret Service, Financial Crimes Division, 950 H Street, Washington, DC 20001. Send complaints to the Secret Service at http://www.secretservice.gov/contact_fcd.shtml.

It amazes me how these people infiltrate the market.

DJ

Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: Jake] #21982
08/14/07 02:57 PM
08/14/07 02:57 PM
J
jimcozzi Offline
stranger
jimcozzi  Offline
stranger
J

Chris Hansen from NBC did a huge expose of these Nigerian scumbags...and yes, some people do fall for these scams the hosebags perpetrate. They order goods with stolen credit cards in Nigerian cyber cafe's and then have poor souls give up hard cash for shipping costs with all kinds of promises including marriage proposals using pictures of hot babes. Hard to catch the scumbags in Nigeria and surrounding countries. If they would just apply themselves to finding real job they wouldn't have to steal from us. Then it would be a perfect world, woundn't it?

Jim Cozzi, Risk Management Consultant Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc.
Re: Classified Ad Scammer are Back! Beware! [Re: jimcozzi] #21983
08/15/07 05:35 AM
08/15/07 05:35 AM
J
jimcozzi Offline
stranger
jimcozzi  Offline
stranger
J

Better to be proactive than reactive. Not to be too comercial...but If any one is interested, I market a service that monitors your credit report 24/7 with identity restoration by Kroll the world's leading authority on forensic investigation. It's called Identity Theft Shield. It's $12.95 a month as a stand alone, or $9.95 for husband and wife with our legal plan. Go to www.greatjoboption.com to learn more and see a complete explanation. You can also order the service from my site at www.jcozzi.com. Thanks! Hope this helps. It truly is a great service in today's complex society.

Jim Cozzi, Risk Management Consultant Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 446 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022