South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Luiz
Originally Posted by Undecided

I'm excited for the AC34, but sad at the same time - because if its a bust its just going to vindicate these nay-sayers.

I don't think a competition between 72ft winged cats designed to a tight box rule under mutual consent can bust. This AC scheme seems to be professionally designed to yield a profitable show and that can't be done without interesting races.

If they were smart enough to switch to multihulls against the wishes of the majority of the sailing community, they should be smart enough to make money - and that is first requirement to get to the AC.

I think they recognized that the last format had run it's course and was struggling for new ideas to increase the publicity and fame. I think for every sailor that is turned off (or at least says they are) there will be at least 10 more people tuned in. Even those that say they're turned off can't deny the incredible collection of technological sailing craft that we are about to see.

Hopefully this thing will happen in San Fran...I'll be there for sure.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: Jake] #219618
09/15/10 11:23 AM
09/15/10 11:23 AM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
It sure would be great if all the catamaran classes showed their support by running a match race regatta next year.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rhodysail] #219619
09/15/10 11:25 AM
09/15/10 11:25 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I was thinking of doing a match racing cats video... just to show to the unwashed masses that it could be done.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219622
09/15/10 01:00 PM
09/15/10 01:00 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
US SAILING to Draft Multihull Rule
for 34th America’s Cup
Competition details for the 34th America’s Cup were announced during Monday’s press conference in Valencia, Spain. The extremely fast AC72 wingsail America’s Cup catamaran has been tagged as the chosen boat for the 2013 race. US SAILING, in partnership with Morrelli & Melvin Design & Engineering, is the neutral party responsible for managing the development of the multihull rule. Learn more about how and why US SAILING became involved with this process from US SAILING's Offshore Director Dan Nowlan. Watch Part 2 of this interview with Dan Nowlan.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: F-18 5150] #219639
09/15/10 03:54 PM
09/15/10 03:54 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
This is precisely the kind of perception I'm talking about. I thought we had beat it out of people - but I guess not.

From SA AC forum:
So the America's Cup is dead as far as history goes. It has been converted to " The Big Little AC " and all the SA's on Hobie Cats are thrilled as they now feel they are at the top of the heap. Well it is a heap alright. A heap of dung with no provenance whatsoever. Queen Victoria would say, not who is second, but rather, what kind of crap is that pretending to be an ocean racing boat? Where is the accommodation? Where are the big waves? Why can't multi hull guys just go get their own Cup ie create a new one, and leave history alone. The Cup died with the last multi series. It should have been banned from the get go, but the NYYC went limpus dickus and let it be taken away without a whimper. Enjoy drag racing you multi freaks. Enjoy interminable delays because there is wind and waves. Enjoy a joke which will not attract the public. At least in mono's the public could pretend race and enjoy a cottage life with their kids. Multis on the beach are for kids and fun but they are not multi use boats for families. At least in golf you can play the same courses as the pro's. No longer in sailing. Why can't these multitards not realize there is more to sailing than just flat out speed. After the next cup it will be in hydropters (sic?) and then Russian surface airplanes that glide 2 feet off the water. And then why not helicopters that can land on water? Where will it end? Hopefully NYYC will come out with a " continuation" cup for those with education and an historical memory.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219640
09/15/10 04:08 PM
09/15/10 04:08 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Give it a rest Tad the same uninformed bigotry towards monohulls is rampent right here on this forum, and you my friend are often leading that charge. Reposting an opinion that is probably the ignorant minority does nothing but further the "us against them" mentality. Seriously what was your purpose behind this repost?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: David Ingram] #219652
09/15/10 08:23 PM
09/15/10 08:23 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Yeah Ding,

I'm so biased against those monohulls, which is why I sailed on one for 3 summers straight every wednesday night.

My purpose was to show people what kind of mentality exists out there - stacked against multihulls for no good reason other than the fact that there's no keel.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219655
09/15/10 11:08 PM
09/15/10 11:08 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Yeah Ding,

I'm so biased against those monohulls, which is why I sailed on one for 3 summers straight every wednesday night.

My purpose was to show people what kind of mentality exists out there - stacked against multihulls for no good reason other than the fact that there's no keel.

I didn't know you actually sailed.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219675
09/16/10 09:26 AM
09/16/10 09:26 AM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

This is precisely the kind of perception I'm talking about. I thought we had beat it out of people - but I guess not.

From SA AC forum:
So the America's Cup is dead as far as history goes. It has been converted to " The Big Little AC " and all the SA's on Hobie Cats are thrilled as they now feel they are at the top of the heap. Well it is a heap alright. A heap of dung with no provenance whatsoever. Queen Victoria would say, not who is second, but rather, what kind of crap is that pretending to be an ocean racing boat? Where is the accommodation? Where are the big waves? Why can't multi hull guys just go get their own Cup ie create a new one, and leave history alone. The Cup died with the last multi series. It should have been banned from the get go, but the NYYC went limpus dickus and let it be taken away without a whimper. Enjoy drag racing you multi freaks. Enjoy interminable delays because there is wind and waves. Enjoy a joke which will not attract the public. At least in mono's the public could pretend race and enjoy a cottage life with their kids. Multis on the beach are for kids and fun but they are not multi use boats for families. At least in golf you can play the same courses as the pro's. No longer in sailing. Why can't these multitards not realize there is more to sailing than just flat out speed. After the next cup it will be in hydropters (sic?) and then Russian surface airplanes that glide 2 feet off the water. And then why not helicopters that can land on water? Where will it end? Hopefully NYYC will come out with a " continuation" cup for those with education and an historical memory.

This poster on SA (probabledave) is trolling for a fight, largely to use against the MH community. This guy and his ilk, are looking to discredit our interest by branding us as ungentlemanly yachtsmen.
The best we can do is take the high ground, not engage such Philistines as this, and recognize the irony that this same crowd sabotaged the Tornado in the Olympics, only to see the Elite yachtsman of the sailing world embrace the catamaran in the America's Cup.

Karma is a bitch...

Last edited by rexdenton; 09/16/10 09:28 AM.

Nacra F18 #856
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rexdenton] #219701
09/16/10 12:52 PM
09/16/10 12:52 PM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

Originally Posted by rexdenton

From SA AC forum:

This poster on SA (probabledave) is trolling for a fight, largely to use against the MH community. This guy and his ilk, are looking to discredit our interest by branding us as ungentlemanly yachtsmen.
The best we can do is take the high ground, not engage such Philistines as this, and recognize the irony that this same crowd sabotaged the Tornado in the Olympics, only to see the Elite yachtsman of the sailing world embrace the catamaran in the America's Cup.

Karma is a bitch...

FWIW, from an 'influential' member of the MH community regarding the baiting going on in SA:

"Pay no mind to DP who posted this, he is a power troll of the highest order. We had our entire YC forum shut down because of this guy and his antics. He is a litigation lawyer so he trolls for a living.

He also likes to get wound up about us sailing the C-cats past his gin palace at the club and garnering attention for our efforts. He knows perfectly well which buttons to press to get someone simmering and more.

He also has to suffer moths and hobie trifoilers blasting around ruining his view of the harbour, not to mention a huge herd of I-14's, all of which make him cry for the old "glory days" of our club fielding IOR Admirals Cup entrants etc. It's all a red rag to this bull.

Much of this vitriol is designed to bait me and Fredo into some low order flame war.

He is a bitter little man on all fronts, this is simply his latest line of "attack".

Ask him how many times he's left the dock this year in his lead sled. I think it's a rather low number for lack of friends to play with.

Now I shall stand by the door waiting for him to serve papers on me for slander... "

Don't play the game DP wants the MH community to play-better to let the lawyer steep in his vile juices than give him the satisfaction of sucking us into such a dubious an ungentlemanly game.

Nacra F18 #856
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rexdenton] #219714
09/16/10 03:56 PM
09/16/10 03:56 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is anyone clever enough to scale a 16,18, or 20 footer into this pic?

Attached Files
ac.JPG (203 downloads)

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: pgp] #219715
09/16/10 04:34 PM
09/16/10 04:34 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

This was done by hand but should be very close.

[Linked Image] [u][/u]

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ] #219716
09/16/10 04:36 PM
09/16/10 04:36 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
lmao.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219722
09/16/10 05:23 PM
09/16/10 05:23 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is funny, but I have to see these things! If not the 72s, then the 45s for sure!

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rhodysail] #219728
09/16/10 06:31 PM
09/16/10 06:31 PM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

Originally Posted by rhodysail
It sure would be great if all the catamaran classes showed their support by running a match race regatta next year.

...a little birdie said exactly the same thing earlier today...Are you racing Roton this weekend?

Nacra F18 #856
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rexdenton] #219730
09/16/10 06:58 PM
09/16/10 06:58 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Andrew, I don't know if I've ever told you this before, but you are awesome.

I'm boatless.
Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rexdenton] #219736
09/16/10 07:39 PM
09/16/10 07:39 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by rexdenton
Originally Posted by rhodysail

...a little birdie said exactly the same thing earlier today...Are you racing Roton this weekend?

nope, going to a friends wedding
HPDO is the next event

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: rhodysail] #219767
09/17/10 07:40 AM
09/17/10 07:40 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I spoke to a little birdie yesterday that said he would like to get a regional match racing circuit going.

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: ThunderMuffin] #219768
09/17/10 07:41 AM
09/17/10 07:41 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Screw the bird! What are you on about? Whatever it is Eustis would be a good place to roll it out.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: CONFIRMED AMERICA'S CUP 72 (AND 45!!) WINGED CATS [Re: pgp] #219793
09/17/10 12:12 PM
09/17/10 12:12 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
Thought I should try one with an F18:
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022