09/01/10 10:03 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
There are three spots off the top of my head that are easy enough to wheel your cat on to the beach here in my town, but the issue is there is no place to park your trailer once you get the boat off.

I bought a beach parking sticker for both my car and trailer, but the cops said "no-go" to using up two spaces. I'm not sure there is parking available for trailers within 3 miles of the walk-over spot for the boats...

Did you buy two stickers; one for the car and one for the trailer, or did you get one sticker for both?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: beach access [Re: Ventucky Red] #218725
09/01/10 02:46 PM
09/01/10 02:46 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
two stickers. And still no dice, even if I disconnected the vehicle and put each in a different parking space...

Jay

Re: beach access [Re: ThunderMuffin] #218726
09/01/10 02:47 PM
09/01/10 02:47 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Undecided
Get an aluminum trailer that you can put on the roof of your car :P

I had actually tried to think of a way to use a small pickup (Ranger, etc) with the bed removed and cradles installed....

Jay

Re: beach access [Re: waterbug_wpb] #218727
09/01/10 02:48 PM
09/01/10 02:48 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
how far away from a place where you COULD keep a trailer is the ramp?

Whats the maximum speed you'd have to go in order to get there?

Re: beach access [Re: waterbug_wpb] #218729
09/01/10 03:26 PM
09/01/10 03:26 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
two stickers. And still no dice, even if I disconnected the vehicle and put each in a different parking space...

You're kidding! I would have asked to pull out the vehicle code for a cite or show where it is marked/posted "stalls for motor vehicles only"

Sounds like your local constabulary is a little uptight! As long as you paid for it what is their problem.

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 09/01/10 03:27 PM.
Re: beach access [Re: Ventucky Red] #220899
10/05/10 02:02 PM
10/05/10 02:02 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

I've been asked to compile a list of DON'TS for beach access and storage on public property.

This process is in the fact finding stage and there are no promises! But if you had the chance to establish a mast up storage facility on public property, what would you disallow?

To begin with my short list is:

1) No uninsured boats. Minimum proof of insurance $100,000/$300,000
2) No unsecured boats. All boats secured by screw anchors at four points. If trailers are permitted, boats must be stored on the trailers and secured at four points.
3) Nothing on the ground. All sail boxes, etc. must be attached to the trailer or kept in personal vehicles and removed at the end of each day.
4) No alcohol.
5) No automobile assisted launching. All boats are to be launched by hand. Cattracks, beach dollies and other non-motorized assist is permitted.
6) No motorized vessels.
7) No boats over a certain size. What length and weight?[rightly or wrongly this community has a major dislike for PWCs. Any attempt to include them will blow the whole thing out of the water. Besides, there are plenty of launching facilities for motorized craft of all sizes]
8) No sanding, grinding or painting. Repairs on site are limited to replacement of small parts.
9) No littering.

At this point the discussion includes all small sail and watercraft, specifically included are kayaks, canoes, Sunfish and small dingies, and of course beach cats.

Since I have to answer for it, I'll make the final decisions but your help in compiling this list will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by pgp; 10/05/10 02:10 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220901
10/05/10 02:58 PM
10/05/10 02:58 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Pete - this is the field that I work in. A couple years ago, I worked with folks on the east coast to put together a proposal for mast up storage at Kelly Park. We put together a nice package that addressed all the concerns and answered all the questions that I would ask of a group coming to me with this type of request. Ultimately, they were denied.

You are facing a long and difficult uphill battle. The most important things you need to show in your request is that nothing you are requesting is going to place additional costs on the City/County or place additional burdons on their staff. If you want any types of amenities (fencing, trash cans, lights, water, etc.) that you have a plan to purchase, install, and maintain long term. If the City feels that they may get stuck with costs when yor promises fall short (in my experience this happens more often than not)they will turn you down. I could go on and on with how to put all this together, but that would take pages of typing, and right now I have to get back to work denying the request of some yaho,, boaters who wnat to keep their boats on our parklands.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: beach access [Re: ksurfer2] #220903
10/05/10 03:03 PM
10/05/10 03:03 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

I tried this twenty some years ago and took a hell of a beating. Maybe this time will be different. But thanks for the warning! laugh

Last edited by pgp; 10/05/10 03:04 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220905
10/05/10 03:15 PM
10/05/10 03:15 PM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

how about:
dont tread on me
dont oppress me
don't prohibit my pursuit of life, liberty and happiness (sailing)
well those probably wont help your cause.

I am not sure putting a boat on a trailer is the best idea.. i think it raises the risk of liftoff,

what i found helped us in securing mast up storage (limited to 2 nights a week, but that works for me) was getting a group of people to testify to the city council. showing how we (sailors) would help preserve the area (by cleaning up, and being a good example to others).

good luck

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220912
10/05/10 03:54 PM
10/05/10 03:54 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
my two cents is that the sell might also be to the community government that sees the value in having scenic sailboats seen in conjunction with their waterfront community. Just recently, Myrtle Beach (or North Myrtle) was leaning toward eliminating some aspect of allowing catamarans on the beach (it was a while back and I don't remember all the details without researching it). A local dealer asked me to write something so I chimed in and reminded them to visit any local nick-nack shop and count the number of Myrtle Beach post cards that feature a catamaran. It's roughly 75% of all postcards that feature sand and beach (I've counted). Catamaran sailboats, whether they realize it or not, are be an attractive iconic feature to the marketing and attractiveness of their vacation (read: tourism!) waterfront to everyone. It's an important aspect to maintaining that vacation and watersport atmosphere that is difficult to create but very important to local tourism. It's a beach icon (thanks Hobie!) and no vacation spot is complete without catamarans.

I would also then suggest a way to help eliminate the derelict boats that are an eye sore.

Hopefully they can help with the park management from a different angle. After watching what Hollywood, FL was able to do with local resource management on very short notice to help the Tybee 500 along, I understand that it only takes one champion in your favor on the right committee to open a lot of doors.

Jake Kohl
Re: beach access [Re: Jake] #220918
10/05/10 04:18 PM
10/05/10 04:18 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

If we go back to the mid-eighties, there was a regatta in Florida about every two weeks for maybe nine or ten months of the year. To my recollection 50 boats was a good turn out, fewer was a disappointment. The largest regatta I recall was on Lido Key (Sarasota) circa 1978 and about 300 boats. That's a hell of a lot of "bed tax" dollars, restaurant meals, and gas tax revenue.

There was once, in Central Florida, something called "Sail Florida"? At any rate it got "too big" and was canceled. I never knew the full story but a lot of people would like to have that kind of intrastate tourism back.

I'm approaching this from the stand point of revenue generation. The video of the 2009 F18 Worlds in Belgium is a great eye-opener, particularly the aerial shot of the "parking lot". The people I'm talking to don't have much interest in sailing per se, but they can count heads and calculate dollars.

Last edited by pgp; 10/05/10 04:35 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: beach access [Re: Jake] #220937
10/05/10 06:16 PM
10/05/10 06:16 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Originally Posted by Jake
my two cents is that the sell might also be to the community government that sees the value in having scenic sailboats seen in conjunction with their waterfront community.

Good point! We've been told by a number of business in Lahaina that when we run junior sailing classes inside the reef they see a good jump in business. One restaurant owner told us he had diners placing bets between tables when we were running races.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220941
10/05/10 06:33 PM
10/05/10 06:33 PM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp
I've been asked to compile a list of DON'TS for beach access and storage on public property.

This process is in the fact finding stage and there are no promises! But if you had the chance to establish a mast up storage facility on public property, what would you disallow?

2) No unsecured boats. All boats secured by screw anchors at four points. If trailers are permitted, boats must be stored on the trailers and secured at four points.
3) Nothing on the ground. All sail boxes, etc. must be attached to the trailer or kept in personal vehicles and removed at the end of each day.
4) No alcohol.
5) No automobile assisted launching. All boats are to be launched by hand. Cattracks, beach dollies and other non-motorized assist is permitted.
6) No motorized vessels. Exemption for safety vessel.
7) No boats over a certain size. What length and weight?[rightly or wrongly this community has a major dislike for PWCs. Any attempt to include them will blow the whole thing out of the water. Besides, there are plenty of launching facilities for motorized craft of all sizes]
8) No sanding, grinding or painting. Repairs on site are limited to replacement of small parts.
9) No littering.
10) No pets
11) No unsupervised children

At this point the discussion includes all small sail and watercraft, specifically included are kayaks, canoes, Sunfish and small dingies, and of course beach cats.

Since I have to answer for it, I'll make the final decisions but your help in compiling this list will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220962
10/06/10 02:36 AM
10/06/10 02:36 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
no unseaworthy craft. (determined at the discretion of club officials, no discussion)
Our club disallows trailers, the boats have to be delivered by tractor, driven by a club official. The trailer is then removed. Sailing beach cat storage only. Our boats are secured by four rubber tires which can be easily removed without damage.

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220979
10/06/10 08:09 AM
10/06/10 08:09 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by pgp

4) No alcohol.
8) No sanding, grinding or painting. Repairs on site are limited to replacement of small parts. Some tolerance of this provision should be made for emergency repairs at scheduled events. However, if you need to do a bottom job, you'll need to remove the boat from the site for those repairs.
9) No littering.
10) No pets
12) No unseaworthy boats

Thanks.

"7) No boats over a certain size. What length and weight?" I was thinking of limiting the size to N-20. Does anyone know how much a N-20 weighs?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #220992
10/06/10 08:58 AM
10/06/10 08:58 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by pgp
Originally Posted by pgp

4) No alcohol.
8) No sanding, grinding or painting. Repairs on site are limited to replacement of small parts. Some tolerance of this provision should be made for emergency repairs at scheduled events. However, if you need to do a bottom job, you'll need to remove the boat from the site for those repairs.
9) No littering.
10) No pets
12) No unseaworthy boats

Thanks.

"7) No boats over a certain size. What length and weight?" I was thinking of limiting the size to N-20. Does anyone know how much a N-20 weighs?

Probably up to 420lbs.

Jake Kohl
Re: beach access [Re: Jake] #220995
10/06/10 09:06 AM
10/06/10 09:06 AM

M
MN3
Unregistered
MN3
Unregistered
M

hell my mystere is 560 without sails....
yes i know... its crazy heavy but its not a race cat, i carry lots of extras as a cruiser (anchor, 2 righting bags, radio, big cooler, small tool kit, etc, etc)

Re: beach access [Re: ] #220998
10/06/10 09:14 AM
10/06/10 09:14 AM
pgp Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

But you're talking about the boat plus its gear, correct? I just want to make sure PWCs can't slip in, so I'm looking for the lowest reasonable weight as a policy.

Frankly, I have no problem with PWCs. But some have a B-I-G problem with them!

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: beach access [Re: ] #221000
10/06/10 09:17 AM
10/06/10 09:17 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Other things to consider:
- What is on the other side of the beach? Is it a causeway (like Dunedin), parking lot? private residnces/condos? If it's private residences, you'll need to go to those owners and get their blessings. I know how that sounds, but if you try to do something like this in front of their homes and they bitch to City Hall, you'll find yourself out in the cold really quick.

-Are there turtle populations in the area? If so, the turtle people will probably object. Same with the bird people.

I know that I sound like a nay-sayer, but again, this is what I do for a living, and I have seen some really great ideas get shot down for some really silly reasons brought up by 1 or 2 people!

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: beach access [Re: pgp] #221001
10/06/10 09:20 AM
10/06/10 09:20 AM
Austin, TX
BoK Offline
BoK  Offline

Austin, TX

Bo Kersey
Corsair 31-1D 276
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022