01/12/11 05:40 PM
01/12/11 05:40 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Bob is only updating the forum thread I've referenced in this post. They aren't updating the A-cat site and they haven't posted any results yet.

This is an age old problem... Regatta reports in a timely manner. Bob Does a Fantastic Job... but after a couple of days of racing, socializing ... the thought of writing another 150 words is just too much and your burnout occurs just when everyone is chomping at the bit for information... your sailor/reporter is just toast.

I think the class could offer three sailors attending the race a small honorarium to write the daily report on their assigned day . Budget for the honorarium from the class dues or regatta budget and announce your able reporters ahead of time... Pick sailors who sail in the middle and top of the fleet to offer their perspective.

The honorarium is not the same as hiring a PR Flac or inviting a reporter to cover your event... it just some grease to to help the words flow when you are tired after a day of racing.

Thoughts?

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Regatta Reports,... PR Flac or Sailing Reporting.? [Re: Mark Schneider] #226705
01/12/11 06:17 PM
01/12/11 06:17 PM
Key Largo
barbshort Offline
enthusiast
barbshort  Offline
enthusiast

Key Largo
I'll bite. For data reporting, like results, the scorer needs an easy way to upload the data. It's not pretty or easy to read, but I'll be posting here this weekend for Tradewinds. I cut and paste from Sailwave.

As far as conditions reporting and action on the course it takes somebody savvy enough to know what they are looking at from a power boat to report.

I wouldn't expect any racer to report until after the event. Their head is in the game, not in the reporting.

Re: Regatta Reports,... PR Flac or Sailing Reporting.? [Re: barbshort] #226707
01/12/11 07:34 PM
01/12/11 07:34 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by barbshort
I'll bite. For data reporting, like results, the scorer needs an easy way to upload the data. It's not pretty or easy to read, but I'll be posting here this weekend for Tradewinds. I cut and paste from Sailwave.

Right... getting the results posted is part of the OA's responsibility... getting the preliminary draft to the website and posted for the sailors allows for corrections/protests to be lodged AND the spectators to stay up with the scores.... (get Rick to give you the keys to the website.... it's easy to upload the html ready sailwave file if you have access to the web site.

As far as conditions reporting and action on the course it takes somebody savvy enough to know what they are looking at from a power boat to report.

Reporting on sailing blow by blow is indeed a skill... Surf City does a great job... I suspect his years of experience at regatta support and crash boat have given him the keen eye.

More importantly... Reporting is not simply something additional to you mark boat duties... etc. The PRO won't deal with... sorry... i have to write some notes down before i move the mark... you will be kicked out of Bound's BIMBO club that way.

I wouldn't expect any racer to report until after the event. Their head is in the game, not in the reporting.

Well... that is what Bob H and Simon have been doing for the US and AUS A class events... They have done a fabulous job of getting a perspective down in writing for the rest of us. Their point of view is not reporting... just their spin and perspective... the two things are different.

I am suggesting that the honorarium will express the class's real appreciation of the value that these two guys and other cat sailors are bringing to the class and the event.

In my world... old news is no news.... My interest in the weekend event report that I missed or attended is keen on Sunday night... VERY High on Monday morning. and rapidly diminishing after lunch. Your mileage might vary.

Hope the sailors get to the keys and you have a great event!

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 01/12/11 07:37 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 736 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022