Hop To
How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? #235345
07/28/11 12:16 PM
07/28/11 12:16 PM
Near SLC, Utah
tomthouse Offline OP
tomthouse  Offline OP

Near SLC, Utah
Well, I found a replacement mast for the one I broke on my Stiletto 27. However, the guy who has it can only get it from Florida to Bismarck, North Dakota.

I'll travel from Salt Lake City, Utah to pick it up.

I just finished checking with the Highway Patrol and this is what I discovered.

I can transport the 38 foot mast, like the big rigs transport long stuff.

They use a what is called a "tow trailer".

I can lash one end of the mast (or the bigger piece of the broken mast) to the tongue and bed of a very small flat bad trailer. The other end is lashed to a tow bar.

The result is that the mast itself becomes a "tongue extension" to the trailer.

All that is then required is to add some wiring extensions.

Towing it behind our Corolla (40-45 mpg) or Matrix (30-35 mpg) should provide an economical way to transport the mast.

A Highway Patrol officer said that would be the same as towing any 38 foot boat or trailer. However, transporting only the mast (by itself on a very small flatbed) is a very light tow.

The Highway Patrol officer said that this approach is legal and required no special permits or hassles.

He advised that I install some clearance lights, at intervals, between the tow trailer and the tow vehicle.

That will alert other drivers to the fact that the tow trailer and tow vehicle are connected.

The extra lights should help prevent cars from errantly cutting in, just after the tow vehicle passes.

Traveling from Salt Lake City to Bismarck and back to get this mast will already cost a round trip of 2,400 miles and 35 hours hours of driving, plus the cost of the mast.

Any thoughts....about this method of transporting the mast or anyother way to get it from there (Bismarck, North Dakotato Salt City?

Just in case you're wondering, a trucking company already bid it at over $2,000 and this trip will cost me about ten tanks of gas at 10 gallons per fill up.

In the bargain I get to see the sights between SLC, Utah and Bismarck, North Dakota...and that's gotta be good...right..??????

Last edited by tomthouse; 07/28/11 12:21 PM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235370
07/28/11 06:08 PM
07/28/11 06:08 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
I would just use a trailer with a mast support at each end. I have hauled just a mast with my cat trailer that way and the front of the mast can go over the car. I would not like to depend on lashing to hold the trailers together and if the mast starts to wobble in the middle the rear trailer will start the sway. If you drive all the way to get the mast and your system does not work you won't be happy. Use something that has been done before.

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235386
07/29/11 07:35 AM
07/29/11 07:35 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
You just checked with one trucking Co? Have you tried a boat trucking Co?

Have Fun
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: catman] #235418
07/29/11 01:35 PM
07/29/11 01:35 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by catman

I second that. Give the trucking company the choice of date. The price drops dramatially if you can wait until a boat or other suitable cargo is headed your way. Works best with a company near your location, for it is return freight.

Luiz
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: Luiz] #235427
07/29/11 02:13 PM
07/29/11 02:13 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Luiz
Originally Posted by catman

I second that. Give the trucking company the choice of date. The price drops dramatially if you can wait until a boat or other suitable cargo is headed your way. Works best with a company near your location, for it is return freight.

Trucking companies are scary with something as long and fragile with a mast...particularly if you are giving them a large flexibility with the date. If they have that kind of time they'll probably transfer the mast at stations along the way. Each transfer risks damage. I've heard of nothing but nightmares when trying to ship a stand alone mast by a trucking company.

Jake Kohl
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: Jake] #235473
07/30/11 09:15 AM
07/30/11 09:15 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Yeup...that is what your going to need to set up is some sort of a Rube Goldberg towing trailer to transport something that long... or getting a trucking company, or borrow someone's catamaran trailer and put it on that.

A while back I picked up a 30' mast and drove it about 150 mile on southern California freeways on top of a Jeep Cherokee. Tied a red flag on both ends lashed it to the car and off I went. During the trek I must have been passed by at least four or five CHP who looked over give me a dirty look and then take off. I get off the freeway and about a block from my house and the Long Beach PD pulls me over...needless to say some fast talking was in order to save myself from getting a ticket, but I did get an education on how to transport long items...

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: Ventucky Red] #235503
07/31/11 05:47 AM
07/31/11 05:47 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

maybe I'm missing soemthing, but don't you have a trailer for your stilletto?

Use that trailer, but leave the boat at home to save weight.

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: mikekrantz] #235548
08/01/11 08:53 AM
08/01/11 08:53 AM
Nimrod Offline
enthusiast
Nimrod  Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikekrantz
maybe I'm missing soemthing, but don't you have a trailer for your stilletto?

Use that trailer, but leave the boat at home to save weight.

With a Corolla? Can't haul the weight, it will burn that transmission up after 150 or so miles.

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: Nimrod] #235558
08/01/11 02:21 PM
08/01/11 02:21 PM
Near SLC, Utah
tomthouse Offline OP
tomthouse  Offline OP

Near SLC, Utah
"With a Corolla? Can't haul the weight, it will burn that transmission up after 150 or so miles."

Exactly..!

If I use the Stiletto's trailer to haul the mast, the Corolla wouldn't handle it.

I'd have to drive a pirckup or at least something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

However, the Corolla will handle the weight of a small tow trailer and the weight of the mast, with little problem.

If I use the Stiletto's trailer to transport the mast, that adds 800-1,000 pounds of unnecessary weight.

I'm still thinking of using the broken mast to extend the trailer tongue of a small trailer.

The mast section is really fairly stiff and shouldn't add much flex and sway to a small trailer, used as a tow trailer.

To that I'd have to add some simple mast cradles to support the mast in about the same locations, as if it were on the Stiletto's trailer mast cradles.

The total tow weight, of trailer and mast, should be around 400-500 lbs.

That's well within the cargo weight limits of the Corolla.

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235559
08/01/11 03:20 PM
08/01/11 03:20 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Post some pictures of whatever you end up with.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: hobie1616] #235560
08/01/11 03:33 PM
08/01/11 03:33 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

So, I'm guessing you don't need my help in N Dakota?

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: hobie1616] #235561
08/01/11 03:46 PM
08/01/11 03:46 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
The reason a mast is stiff is from the diamond wires and stays. I would not trust a mast to be stiff enough to be the body of your trailer rig. Get a smaller trailer and support the mast your dollar feebleness now may result in the purchase of a 3rd mast.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: TheManShed] #235562
08/01/11 04:40 PM
08/01/11 04:40 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
If you were going under a 150 miles I might try your home made trailer, but I think you are just going to have problems trying to haul a mast with a home made trailer the miles you are talking about. When you have problems on the side the the road miles form no where it can get real costly and take a lot of time leaving the mast and coming back to pick it up. I would use a tried and true method if I was making the trip. At the very least I would drive a 100 miles with the rig and a borrowed mast to see if it works before you leave. You need to go on some RV forums and find a ride for your mast I have hauled a few on top of my RV for friends and my RV is 35' long.

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: TeamChums] #235566
08/01/11 05:50 PM
08/01/11 05:50 PM
Near SLC, Utah
tomthouse Offline OP
tomthouse  Offline OP

Near SLC, Utah
Lee,

I've tried calling a time or two, to explore some options.

The last time I left a voice mail.

I'm still trying to think my way through all this, while exploring as many options as possible.

I'd guess this will all come to a head, when the mast leaves Florida, strapped to the Stiletto 30 and begins its trip to Bismarck on its way to Canada.

I think that will occur the week of August 7, sometime...though they still don't have the boat ready for transport.

I did do some calling to Bismarck storage and boat dealers, to explore some temporary storage and costs.

That's to explore some options to give me some breathing room, in case I can't get there (or make some kind of arrangements) at the same time that the Stiletto 30 comes through Bismarck.

So far I haven't found any place to leave the mast in Bismarck or any other option except driving there to pick it up myself.

The mast is 34 feet long and probably weighs 150-200 lbs.

Give me a call at your convenience.

Thanks,

Tom
cell 801-589-9596

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235603
08/02/11 12:45 PM
08/02/11 12:45 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Another option:

A 34 foot mast fits nicely on top of a typical RV...

If you can find someone making a trip in that direction, that could be another way to go.

Mike

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235604
08/02/11 01:00 PM
08/02/11 01:00 PM
42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Todd_Sails Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Todd_Sails  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

42.904444 N; 88.008586 W
Originally Posted by tomthouse
"With a Corolla? Can't haul the weight, it will burn that transmission up after 150 or so miles."

Exactly..!

If I use the Stiletto's trailer to haul the mast, the Corolla wouldn't handle it.

I'd have to drive a pirckup or at least something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

However, the Corolla will handle the weight of a small tow trailer and the weight of the mast, with little problem.

If I use the Stiletto's trailer to transport the mast, that adds 800-1,000 pounds of unnecessary weight.

I'm still thinking of using the broken mast to extend the trailer tongue of a small trailer.

The mast section is really fairly stiff and shouldn't add much flex and sway to a small trailer, used as a tow trailer.

To that I'd have to add some simple mast cradles to support the mast in about the same locations, as if it were on the Stiletto's trailer mast cradles.

The total tow weight, of trailer and mast, should be around 400-500 lbs.

That's well within the cargo weight limits of the Corolla.

So, you're telling us then that these tow vehicles you have - corrolla, Matrix, are Automatic transmissions? And, have no tranny cooler?
O/w, you are NOT going to burn up a manual tranny.

Ya, LIke Mikkee said, take a picture when you decide

F-18 Infusion
#626- SOLD it!

'Long Live the Legend of Chris Kyle'
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: Todd_Sails] #235612
08/02/11 02:07 PM
08/02/11 02:07 PM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Have you tried http://www.uship.com/?
It might save yu a lot on time and money?

Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: orphan] #235616
08/02/11 02:52 PM
08/02/11 02:52 PM
Near SLC, Utah
tomthouse Offline OP
tomthouse  Offline OP

Near SLC, Utah
I have tried that company and other shipping/trucking companies.

So far, using them will add as much as the mast cost, doubling the cost and I haven't even begun dealing with rigging replacement or repair after the fiasco.

One fellow cat sailor has offered to transport it from Minot or Bismarck, ND to Billings Montana, half the distance from Bismarck to Utah.

Cat sailors always amaze me how ready they are to help, whenever the can.

A very thoughtful fellow sailor and a great group of folks.

I'm also exploring places to stash the mast to provide some flexibility.

Getting to Bismark at the exact time, that the Stiletto 30 transport crew gets there, is tough.

When I couldn't find a boat shop, storage facility, etc., willing to help (even for a fee) I called a church, in Bismarck to see if I could have the transport crew leave it there for a few hours or days, depending on how this all goes.

The Bishop of that Mormon church was kind enough to make arrangements with a local church member. (He thought it would be safer than just being left behind the church building.

The people he called readily agreed to allow the mast to be dropped off (at the convenience of the transport folk) and store it at their place until I can get there or make other arrangements.

Ya know, there are lots of great folks all over the place.

It's fun to run across them, where ever they are.

Its even fun to be one of them every now and again.

It make the world just a nicer place to be....or at least in our little corner of it.

"Pay it forward" is an interesting concept and goes further (sometimes) than "pay it back" to make it even...though paying it back is good also.

Working in and around law enforcement, jails and prisons so long might make one a bit cynical.

Though even there some folks still display various degree of kindness, etc. under some pretty surprising circumstances and conditions.

I can hardly wait to see how this all works out.

Life is good, even with a broken mast.

Oh, and as for the tranny cooler....

I hava stick shift so an over heated engin/tranny probably isn't a big problem, if the load isn't outrageous. However, the clutch in even the stick shift is so small it probably could be a problem, when starting off from a standing start., or trying to back up especially up hill.

Last edited by tomthouse; 08/02/11 02:59 PM.
Re: How can I transport a 38 foot mast, economically? [Re: tomthouse] #235629
08/02/11 04:55 PM
08/02/11 04:55 PM
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Tom,
I have a trailer lined up, just let me know their schedule and location like we talked.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022