08/02/11 03:12 PM
08/02/11 03:12 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
If I wanted to add a tiller extension to the new EZ-Loc style rudder setup, how and where do you mount a yoke on the crossbar? Here are the two geometry problems that come to mind:

1) When the rudders are up, even slightly, the tillers point WAY up, greater than 45 degrees in the full up position. This would roll a traditional tiller extension mounting yoke WAY back from vertical and the extension would be pointing skyward! To allow for this you'd have to mount the yoke so it's pointed forward, far off-vertical for normal (rudder down) operation. That would probably work. However....
2) With the EZ-Loc crossbar being behind the mainsheet you will now have to swing the tiller extension around behind it like on a "regular" cat when tacking. If the yoke was pointed forward to fix problem #1 above, this swing around back would result in the extension pointing skyward on it's trip around the back.

Somewhere, something's going to break. Do you make the yoke sides longer to allow the extension room to "flop" downward? Do you cut a slot in the crossbar to allow the yoke to slop back and forth? Is there a different yoke that would allow for these issues that don't happen with the old style rudders, some kind of a rubber tendon?

Am I just making up a problem that doesn't exist? I am often accused of "analysis paralysis".

If you haven't seen the EZ-Loc system, look at this video and you'll see how the tillers point upward when the rudders are lifted.
EZ-Loc video

--Advertisement--
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: David Parker] #235621
08/02/11 03:38 PM
08/02/11 03:38 PM
Ottawa, Canada
BigWhoop Offline
BigWhoop  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
What I'm using is the RWO part that swivels every which way.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/RWO-R...sion-Swivel-Supple-Version-p-301550.html
On, as you say, "regular" cats Hobie mounts them tilted slightly forward. I put mine on more forward than that. I was tempted to put it right in front but I figured to do it the right way as a first attempt. I made a sort of base from epoxy putty to mount the flat attachment base onto the round tiller connector. Working good so far.

Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: David Parker] #235801
08/07/11 07:54 AM
08/07/11 07:54 AM
Ottawa, Ontario
N
NorthernWave Offline
stranger
NorthernWave  Offline
stranger
N

Ottawa, Ontario
I just changed my 30" RWO extension to a 36" Harken (omniflex?)

I agree that the geometry thing is a challenge when mounting. My suggestion is to elevate the stern of the boat so that you can lower the rudders. The tiller cross bar will be the normal sailing position.

If you are using an RWO extension, they only swing through 180 degrees. I have found that I want the extension to swing lower than horizontal. To to that, it must be mounted slightly forward of top dead centre position. Try taping it in place with electricians tape to see if it is what you want. When changing tacks, the extension simply flops to the back until you are on the new tack.

The Harken extension will go past 180 degrees so it may be possible to mount it top dead centre. I haven't used mine yet although I still plan on mounting it slightly forward.

I'll report back later today if it doesn't rain.

Don

Don Thompson
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: NorthernWave] #235830
08/08/11 09:45 AM
08/08/11 09:45 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
The Omniflex is the RWO product. There are lots of choices but the best one will be the one that allows a big "flop" angle so that when you raise the rudders the base doesn't tear off the crossbar (or bend the extension or dent the crossbar). Yes, you could lay the extension off to the side before raising the rudders but the ONE time you forget, damage will occur.

Here is a link to lots of extension universal joints.

If you find the perfect universal and the best extension length please post it here.

Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: David Parker] #235874
08/08/11 03:32 PM
08/08/11 03:32 PM
Ottawa, Ontario
N
NorthernWave Offline
stranger
NorthernWave  Offline
stranger
N

Ottawa, Ontario
I just tried out my new tiller extension. It is a 36" Harken with a foam grip and a bendy rubber thingy at the tiller cross bar end. I can't believe the difference in comfort and control compared to my previous 30" RWO. I'll post a photo of the setup if someone can tell me how to upload it.

Don

Don Thompson
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: NorthernWave] #236158
08/11/11 11:39 AM
08/11/11 11:39 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
bobcat Offline
addict
bobcat  Offline
addict

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Use the file manager (post options) to upload your photo while you are composing your post.

Attached Files
Sailweek Regatta18.JPG (640 downloads)
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: bobcat] #236169
08/11/11 01:50 PM
08/11/11 01:50 PM
Ottawa, Ontario
N
NorthernWave Offline
stranger
NorthernWave  Offline
stranger
N

Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks for the tech help. I'll see if I figured it out.

I used a Harken 36" Aluminum Tiller Extension (part #7100.36 - $56.60) and Aluminum Tiller Extension Mounting Base (Part #7101 - $6.00) The prices are from Harkenstore.com I paid about 10% less at my local chandlery.

Here are some photos of my setup.

002.jpg The mounting base doesn't get in the way at all with the extension removed.

003.jpg Showing position for sailing when sitting on the hump between the seats. The tillers are centred. For me, the position is perfect and allows easy fore and aft movement as conditions merit.

004.jpg Shows position when changing tacks. Unlike universal joints, the rubber thingy at the tiller cross bar end supports the extension, allowing for easy control of it when switching sides of the boat.

Regards,

Don

Attached Files
rsz_5002_(640x480).jpg (634 downloads)
rsz_1003.jpg (826 downloads)
rsz_004.jpg (1108 downloads)

Don Thompson
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: NorthernWave] #236256
08/12/11 07:13 PM
08/12/11 07:13 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Your tiller crossbar is "technically" upside down. Supposed to be on top of the tiller arms. Makes the connector post and bungee clip face down for a more comfortable feel (rounded side of the connector) in your hand when holding the tiller arms there.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: Mounting a tiller extension on the EZ-Loc rudder setup [Re: mmiller] #236271
08/13/11 06:25 AM
08/13/11 06:25 AM
Ottawa, Ontario
N
NorthernWave Offline
stranger
NorthernWave  Offline
stranger
N

Ottawa, Ontario
I originally changed it to get the extra inch or so of forward position for the tiller cross bar and then found it more comfortable for the "lie face down and steer with your feet" down wind position. Of course, with the tiller extension, both reasons are no longer relevant, but I had already drilled the holes for the mounting base before I thought to change it back. Ooooops.

Don Thompson

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022