Info on F16 #2360
09/08/01 09:35 PM
09/08/01 09:35 PM
Jim Boyer Offline OP
stranger
Jim Boyer  Offline OP
stranger

Wouter
<br>Greg and I have stayed back from the F16 to see how things came together, we are now wanting to have some input, do you have the information to do some comparisons for us on all the boats that may fit into this group on :
<br>Actual sail area Main Jib Spinnaker
<br>Rated sail area main Jib Spinnaker
<br>Overall Width
<br>Overall Length
<br>Spinnaker Gate Height
<br>Overall weight - uni Sloop and plus spinnaker gear
<br>Length of mast
<br>Type of mast
<br>
<br>Boats I can think of at the moment would be The Taipan 4.9 Bim 16 and the Stealth
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2378- (62 downloads)
--Advertisement--
Extra info on other boats [Re: Jim Boyer] #2361
09/15/01 11:24 AM
09/15/01 11:24 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Jim,
<br>
<br>Sorry for my late reply, I have been away the last week. I went out for 7 days of sailing in the mediterianal sailing.
<br>
<br>The rules specifying gate height and are best presented a link
<br>
<br>http://www.geocities.com/f16htclass/F16HT_general_boxrule.html
<br>
<br>The values of other boats can be found at link :
<br>
<br>http://www.geocities.com/f16htclass/grandfather.html
<br>
<br>On the more direct questions I can answer :
<br>
<br>Actual Sailareas are NOT specified, they are implicitly fixed by the use of rated sail area. Only exception is the genaker are which will be determined by the Texel (ISAF) way of determining the size of a genaker.
<br>
<br>Side note : Taipan main is rated at 12,83 (Texel measurement) where the F16HP allows a max of 13,0 sq.mtr. Taipan main is compliant and very close to the max. allowed size. Closest of all grandfathered boats except the Spitfire which is in violation of this rule but also a good 30 kg' s heavier. Taipan rated jib (Texel measurement) is grandfathered in for lighter crews and compliant for larger crews in the weight equalization system that is still under constructions and will only be fixed a a later time after experimenting.
<br>
<br>Genaker area is max at 17.5 sq.mtr. at a gate which is effectively 0,015 mtr heigher than the gate specified by Greg Goodall for the Taipan 4.9 genaker package. The wording of the gate rule is somewhat different to prevent beating the rule by using very high mastfoots. Smaller packages are allowed when a crew is to light to handle this size as is the case with all sails and parameters.
<br>
<br>Overall max effective width is set at 2.5 mtr. and racks/wings are allowed (hence the definition of EFFECTIVE width). Taipan at this moment is the widest F16 HP boat.
<br>
<br>Overall Length is set at max 5 mtr. Taipan is the second longest boat, Stealth beats it by 0,06 mtr. BIM F16 is 0,01 mtr shorter.
<br>
<br>Weight : Minimum weight including everything 2-up (sloop) = 100 kg's , and for 1-up (solo, catrigged) = 95 kg's. Taipan is currently the lightest F16HP grandfathered boat closest is the the Stealth at 113 kg's.
<br>
<br>It is assumed that genaker (spinaker) gear comes in at 5 kg's per complete package. That is what is found by texel officials and at what my 19.sq.mtr. genaker packages was measured (5.5 kg's). I use lightweight 0,01 mtr diameter genaker sheet and not heavy dyneema or spectra line as the big manufacturers do.
<br>
<br>All masts of all grandfathered boats are 8,5 or shorter withthe exception of the 9 mtr. A-cat mast of the BIM F16. Stealth has a mast length of 8,4 mtr. I wish to underlin ethat the principal of rated sailarea ensures that longer masted rigs do not gain extra sailpower advantage. The max allowed mainsail area is reduced when a longer mast is fitted. In effect the rated mainsail area parameter is a measurement of actual produced sailforce. So by regulating this rated sailarea the sailpower of each rig is equalized and not just some loosely linked measurement as actual sailarea.
<br>
<br>Stealth currently has a Carbon mast.
<br>BIM F16 can be bought with either a alu mast or a carbon mast
<br>The Spifire and Cirrus Energy bith come with aluminium masts.
<br>
<br>Boats currently considered to be good F16 HP boats in order of closely resembling F16HP rules:
<br>
<br>Taipan 4.9 + Genaker
<br>Stealth
<br>BIM F16
<br>
<br>These are the foundation boats.
<br>
<br>Next to these we have the grandfathered boats
<br>
<br>Spitfire
<br>Cirrus Energy Regate (Also called F16)
<br>Mystere F16
<br>
<br>I hope this answers the questions you had.
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2534- (57 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
I will also gether some info and mail it to you.. [Re: Jim Boyer] #2362
09/15/01 01:02 PM
09/15/01 01:02 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Wouter<br><br>

Attached Files
2537- (67 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022