10/27/11 09:31 AM
10/27/11 09:31 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Son of a B@#$, the forecast for Saturday and has taken a significantly softer tone. Tad I blame you!

Jay come on! Remember back in the day when you were straight. Those were good times weren't they? Except for the red head you were into... she could scare anyone onto the other team, is that what happened?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: David Ingram] #239416
10/27/11 09:41 AM
10/27/11 09:41 AM
Daytona Beach Florida
O
orphan Offline
enthusiast
orphan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Daytona Beach Florida
Still lokks sporty. This is NOAA for Grant(about half way).

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Windy, with a northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: orphan] #239418
10/27/11 10:02 AM
10/27/11 10:02 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by orphan
Still lokks sporty. This is NOAA for Grant(about half way).

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. North northwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Windy, with a northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday it's not forecast to start building until after 1, so we'll get an hour (probably less) in the building breeze. We will be well into our second beer by the time it even starts to approach "sporty" and I use that term loosely here. Maybe I can talk Scott into a third start that is later in the day for the old people and the ladies, you know when the breeze is on.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: David Ingram] #239422
10/27/11 02:07 PM
10/27/11 02:07 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Jay come on! Remember back in the day when you were straight. Those were good times weren't they? Except for the red head you were into... she could scare anyone onto the other team, is that what happened?

Good times, they were.... I will always be jealous of you sailing couples that can manage to hold a relationship through the challenges of racing.

Oh, and I gave up my man-card (and waistline) years ago for the tax deduction, but still have a healthy respect for supporting single-moms, and commend you, sir, for your outstanding generosity in that respect. You truly give till it hurts, and we should all learn from your fine example.

AND for the rest of you bi*$s, bring it SATURDAY! You'd better have your A-game cause I don't get out much from under my rock and when I do, it's scary. GO-TIME!

Jay

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #239424
10/27/11 02:21 PM
10/27/11 02:21 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
I ain't bringin' no stupid GPS.....so don't follow me.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: ksurfer2] #239430
10/27/11 07:13 PM
10/27/11 07:13 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by ksurfer2
I ain't bringin' no stupid GPS.....so don't follow me.

You didn't lose it did you?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #239437
10/27/11 08:58 PM
10/27/11 08:58 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Hey....Don't make me go all Ricky on your a$$!!!!!

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: ksurfer2] #239439
10/27/11 09:16 PM
10/27/11 09:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

Holy $uc$! That's hilarious. I'm making a shirt.

Jake Kohl
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239440
10/27/11 09:19 PM
10/27/11 09:19 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Karl,
I guess that means you'll start making excuses , and lots of 'em. Little Ricky is good at that, Fo Sho. " Heeeeey Luuuuucy, have you seen my excuse book?" I do believe he has taken the crown from Tad.

Jake,
If you make all the shirts and hats you say you're gonna ,you may end up a tycoon but you'll never leave the printer.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239441
10/27/11 09:47 PM
10/27/11 09:47 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Tad I blame you!

Ill gladly take the blame for inspiring mother nature to turn the forecast into something less than a blowout.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: Jake] #239451
10/28/11 07:08 AM
10/28/11 07:08 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Originally Posted by Jake

Holy $uc$! That's hilarious. I'm making a shirt.

XL for me, Beth would like a small.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239453
10/28/11 07:54 AM
10/28/11 07:54 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Looking a bit better than yesterday (depending on your perspective)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...mp;site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239466
10/28/11 11:05 AM
10/28/11 11:05 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
FFS - this vendor is killing me.

I was hoping to wrap up a huge project yesterday, but thanks to a vendor's inability to successfully install a bunch of SSL certificates (or document the fact that they were needed in the first place) I'm now looking at a long night of work that may turn into a long weekend of work.

I can't buy a vowel.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239475
10/28/11 04:38 PM
10/28/11 04:38 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hope you guys have better weather than we've had today. Constant drizzle and no wind at all.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239476
10/28/11 04:42 PM
10/28/11 04:42 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Have fun guys. Boss told me that since the project isn't complete that I need to work on it through the weekend.

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: cyberspeed] #239497
10/29/11 04:27 PM
10/29/11 04:27 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
We had lot's of rain this morning and no wind and 30 minutes before the spin fleet started the breeze showed up. Karl and I had our usual battle with Matt and his brother in law right there. Karl got by us at the second bridge and we played catch the rest of the day but Karl must have pissed off lady luck because one mile before the finish Karla spin bridle broke and folded his pole. That put us in front with Matt bearing down on us bit lady again chose us with Matt finding a rock right before the finish causing a nasty pitchpole and some damage. The forecast says sporty tomorrow.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: David Ingram] #239531
10/31/11 09:19 AM
10/31/11 09:19 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Awesome event, my only complaint (other than the broken spin pole), was the lack of scenery at the costume party.

Thanks to Scott, Dior, Warren, Amy, and all the others who put this event on.

Oh.....JC's old course record is now toast.

New record: 31 miles in 1 hour 34 minutes 17 seconds!!!!

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: ksurfer2] #239532
10/31/11 09:24 AM
10/31/11 09:24 AM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

That's not a course record, just one way

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: ] #239534
10/31/11 09:50 AM
10/31/11 09:50 AM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
I'll take that!

Re: Hiram's Haul is This Weekend! [Re: ksurfer2] #239541
10/31/11 11:22 AM
10/31/11 11:22 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Well, seems our old friend Capt'n Hiram teamed up with Scott & Warren to cook up a double helping of near fantastic conditions for both spin and non-spin boats.

At this fourteenth running of the event, the Weather Channel was pretty much flat-wrong AGAIN about conditions, and it was weather underground that came closest to the time/direction/strength of the wind.

I would suspect there were a few butterflies in the stomach of the lighter crews after the weather channel broadcast an insane amount of wind (I believe I saw one forecast at 25+ with gusts over 30 from a “death reach” angle). As a member of a crew with a total weight more than the boat we would be sailing (N20 “old yeller”), I wasn’t as concerned with the strength as much as the direction. With our near quarter ton of crew weight, a nice spin run would be ideal against these puny little boats and their fly-weight crews.

The rigging area was busy, despite the steady rainfall. It was a family reunion of sorts, with many notables and perennials making an appearance despite the forecast. The sociable portion of the event would have to wait as the clock ticked toward the Prep flag, and Warren is no PRO to be testing the meaning of “be punctual”.

The wind was slowly clocking around to the north and beginning to build by the start of the non-spin fleet at 11:00am. As the horn sounded, the non-spin fleet took off toward Hiram’s with no incidents and a good angle. Our turn was next, and the clouds were beginning to break indicating the frontal boundary would soon be upon us. I glanced around to find several H-16s with spinnakers rigged and Kent Cooper set up to singlehand his I-17. Yeah, good luck with that!

This event would be my teammate’s first adventure with his N20 in anything more than 12 mph breeze, and he was looking forward to finally not having to sit on the hull while everyone else was double trapped around him. Coming from a Prindle, it was also his first distance race using a spinnaker, as Macho Man was mostly a bob-fest with a close reach near the end. I could see his excitement tempered with a bit of trepidation, and I knew this race in particular was perfect for him: Near flat water, land on all sides, straight run south.

So with my trusty Target $4.25 egg timer (with large display, big buttons, and loud beeps for old farts) counting down, we lined up in front of Performance Sail & Sport. Nervous glances were shot about as the jibs flapped noisily in the building north breeze. The countdown was on! 3..2..1 and Forrest gave the boat a healthy shove, almost sending it off without me (did I mention he’s a big dude?). Game on!

It’s always fun to see who makes the “crazy” move first. In this case, it would be who sets the spinnaker first, and when. Prudence would dictate to pass under the Eau Galle causeway first, then set up the spin. That never happens, and there was one notable year when a F-16 sailor who will go unmentioned (Matt) pops the spin, gets hammered, and practically pitchpoles under the main span of the bridge with about 10 other boats within spitting distance with no option to go around. I didn’t know he could say the “F” word that many times in 3 seconds.

Once we got our wits about us and realized (1) the wind wasn’t going to waste us like the weather channel said and (2) “everyone else was doing it”, we set the spin and shot the main span of the first causeway. We lined up in the pecking order and started to get in sync with the somewhat “spicy” puffs, which tested my crew’s ability to remember to drive off when hit with the spin up. One blown gybe forgetting this rule and we did our little “dolphin encounter” between bridge 1 and 2. Another good point about the N20, even weird pitch/flips take longer to execute than on the midget boats. Probably took a good 5 seconds to go from “downdowndowndown” to “crap” and finding a spot to climb over the high side.

While the process of righting the boat was short, it took a while for Forrest to get situated, snuff the spin, and position himself to correctly right the boat while I gave instructions from the upper daggarboard perch I had found (I am “high maintenance”  ). A fouled spin sheet later found him having to circle back and pick me (and my hat) up. A lot of firsts for us during this “maneuver”: First time he flipped with spin up, first time we used the righting line, first time I have been separated from a boat (good thing I had my phone, a PFD, and a shoreline within ½ mile).

Fifteen minutes is a lot of ground to make up in a race that ended up lasting little more than 2 hours, but we were having a grand time doing it. The wind had built a bit to middle teens with puffs, and the leaders had outrun the frontal boundary and were forced to contend with lighter airs. So we dialed up and started gaining ground again.

The big fat spin on Old Yeller proved to be an asset, allowing us to drive almost straight down the river rather than the endless zig-zagging we saw the puny boats (and their flat-cut sails) engaged in. That looked like a whole lot of work as we trucked past the various boats down the line with GPS speeds topping 22 mph. When all was said and done, I believe we placed fourth over the line on Saturday. A “Haul” it was….

CARNAGE REPORT – surprisingly little damage in what turned out to be idyllic downwind conditions. A broken spin pole mentioned before on Mr. Bonifait’s boat and a notable F-16 sailor (A.K.A “Curb Feeler” from another daggarboard incident in a prior Hiram’s) proved that epoxy and rocks don’t mix, but do make for good photo opportunites at the finish.

The party at dinner Saturday night was a bit subdued from years past, most likely due to the forecast for near nuclear conditions on Sunday. The midget LITTLE boat group was having their usual salad and diet water to keep their anorexic shape, while we dined on the ½ kg. deep-fried bacon & cheese burger. I had them put a piece of lettuce on there just so the rest of the table wouldn’t cry themselves to sleep. Oh, and the peanut-butter chocolate cheesecake was good, too. I had two.

Judging from the bar tab and the loss to UGA by the Gators, it looked as if the local Law Enforcement would sleep easy knowing they wouldn’t have to respond to noise complaints, activities involving farm animals, or pole dancing in hotel lobbies (Public Service Announcement – please support single moms). Pulling excuse #37 – my kids can’t witness this sort of debauchery because I can’t afford the therapy bills, I hit the pillow at a downright respectable hour with a wary eye to the flag flapping loudly in the building breeze.

My first clue that Sunday would be “zesty” was all my sailing gear had blown off the railing where it was perched to dry out the evening before. The temperature was cooler, but still “hot” for you northerners (low 70’s F) so the front had continued on south but the clouds had remained. I could see steady whitecaps on the river from my hotel room. I received a verbal summary of the weather channel’s forecast: The front was backing up and we would be looking at 25+ with gusts out of NE. I checked my WU source, which showed a bit more conservative conditions (19 holding until 15:00 hours and then 16). Either way, good times were indeed ahead.

The non-spin fleet found solace from the wind before the start to leeward of a spoil island behind the starting area. Genius, I thought to myself. Definitely beats drifting around with the sails flogging for 10 minutes. Kent, the consummate sailor, joined us with his I-17 and was surprisingly upbeat considering he’d be driving all by himself with lots of lines to handle, but I guess he did it Saturday with the spin up, so he’s pretty good at handling himself. But today was probably 5-10mph more breeze.

And we’re off! Right on time again thanks to Warren our PRO. A sketchy start for us trying to dial in the boat all while avoiding the rocks Matt found for us yesterday and figuring out which place to shoot eastward to get into the main river area. Choppy conditions from the Sebastian Inlet fetch made for a wet first setup being low-trapped and it took us a minute or two to find good sail settings. I chose to drive this day because there was no practical way for my string-beany arms and sunken chest to saw the main all day. And, Forrest makes one hell of a splash-guard. I called for some mast rotator on, and was told that the line pulled through entirely. Oops. Guess we can try this with the rotator off, since sending anyone to the low side at this point would surely spell some sort of disaster. So, downhaul on, daggers ½ up, traveler down, and away we go.

Not much to say about Sunday, since it went by so quickly. Mr. Bonifait was on fire, attempting to vindicate himself for having taken a hacksaw to his boat the afternoon before. Ding was in “marriage saver” mode, preferring to be a bit more conservative in order to avoid the beating he’d take from Precious if he fell off the back. She’s a trooper on par with the best, and I’d sail with her anytime (I do believe she helped me beat Ding in a regatta once) but discretion is the better part of valor. He gets man-card bonus points for that. Curb-feelers was dialing in as well, but once we hauled our 445 lbs out on the wire, it was all over but the whining.

Yes, it is possible to slack the WINDWARD shroud in 18 mph breeze, just in case you want to know. And the “outdated” platform hauled the mail straight and true despite questionable sail trim which we didn’t have time to correct in the 120 minute run up the 32 mile course. Only once did I feel the gen-1 rudders start to cavitate when we were hearing the 22 knot hum, and it was probably because we needed to sit a bit further back on the bus. As soon as I find that cable, I intend to download our GPS track to see how fast we really went in some of those puffs. It felt like we were skipping across the water a few times between the bridges.

And if this sounds like a marketing pitch for the N20, it is. As “outdated” as some find the design & sail plan, it’s still a well thought-out boat that handles a wide variety of crew weight, weather, and racing formats. It’s a downright shame that they don’t make them anymore. I think it discriminates against middle-aged fat guys. Isn’t there a law against that?

Jay

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 287 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022