Hop To
KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races #24385
09/20/03 12:30 PM
09/20/03 12:30 PM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP
ChrisMargaret  Offline OP

Hawaii
The KokoKahi Sailing CLub hosted the second Round The Buoys (RTB-2)on Sunday September 7th, 2003. There were about seven boats participating in this "fun run" regatta. We call it a "fun run" because this is for practice only. There is no committee boat or protests. At the skippers meeting we start the count down at 30 minutes and then we all use the honor method of starting on time. This works out just fine for this venue.

Skippers meeting was at around 11am and charts of the bay with markers were distributed. The course was a typical triangle and we raced twice around. The wind was steady during race one at about 10 knots. Sounds light enough but one Prindle 16 flipped just before the start. The course was pretty short so focus was on tactics rather than sheer boat speed. Being in the right place near the marks makes a big difference in position on short course racing.

The wind piped up to the 10-20K range and made for really exciting dualing. Race one was a total sucess with most boats charging for the beach after completion because the wind had really picked up.

Race two had similar start and now the wind was howling. All made it around the course with two more boats capsizing during the run. The next race with KokoKahi will be the Annual KsC regatta which is slated for Oct 18th. More to follow.

You may view photos of the RTB-2 at:

www.picturetrail.com/chris-margaret

--Advertisement--
Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24386
10/17/03 11:57 AM
10/17/03 11:57 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
The annual Kokokahi Sandbar Regatta is tomorrow. 10/18/03.

Boat set up should be complete by 10am. Skippers meeting at 11am with lemans start asap their after. This year's regatta will be very similar to the RTB races. We plan on running three short course races back to back with lunch at the club right after.

The RTB races have become very successful. Come on down and join in the fun. Even if you do not plan on racing, come on down for the free lunch and T-shirt. :grin: :grin:

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races 2004 [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24387
12/28/03 04:07 AM
12/28/03 04:07 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
Ok everyone!!!!!! Get ready for the 2004 RTB series. THe first race for the season will be on Sunday, January 4th. These RTB Fun Run races will take place on the first Sunday of ODD months.

Let's get to the club by 9:00am to set up our boats. Skippers meeting at 10:00am. And the first series of start flags to begin at 11:00am at the start line.

As the 2004 Vice-Commodore for the club, I will do my best to keep this RTB event interesting. I will mix up the format between buoys racing, ocean runs, and what ever sounds interesting.

I plan on having a perpetual trophy to be handed out after the races. The day's winner will hold the trophy until the next race and pass it on to the next winner.

To kick off the 2004 season, I will be hosting a Saturday evening get together at my home in Aiea Heights. We can tell lots of sailing lies while working on a hangover for the next morning's event.

Hope to see more of the club participating this year.

Chris L. Vice Commodore KKSC

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races 2004 [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24388
01/03/04 11:51 AM
01/03/04 11:51 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
Happy New Year all. Our first RTB is scheduled for tomorrow. The rain has been monsoon like for several days and I am sure making the lauch area one giant mud puddle again. I will inspect the club today and evaluate if the race will go on as planned Sunday or be postponed.

I have extended an invitation to all sailors to meet at my home tonight, Saturday, for a Prerace Season Kickoff. Hope to see you at my place tonight around 6pm. You can contact me today on my cell at 780-8833. CL

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races 2004 [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24389
02/17/04 11:59 AM
02/17/04 11:59 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
OK all you Oahu cat sailors, and Kokokahi members. GET READY!!!!!! The RTB-2 is scheduled for Sunday March 7th at 11am as usual. Hope to see you out there. Margaret and I will be hosting another "LIARS PARTY" at our house in Aiea Heights on Saturday evening the 6th around 6pm.

Drop me a note if you plan to attend either event so we can get set up accordingly.
kksc-vc@hawaii.rr.com
I think that is the address I set up. Otherwise call me on the cell at 780-8833. Hope to see you on the water. CL

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races 2004 [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24390
03/04/04 11:13 AM
03/04/04 11:13 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
The second regatta in the 2004 RTB series is fast approaching. The regatta is this Sunday, March 7th. Skippers meeting is at 10:00 AM with estimated first start at 11:00 AM. Remember the first race in January was not well attended due to the recent Holidays and the rain had made the club quite muddy. Well no Holidays but I can tell you the club is a swamp. I hope it dries up a bit before Sunday.

The customary pre-race Liars Party is scheduled for Saturday evening, 5-10 PM at Chris-Margarets house in Aiea Heights. The club will provide beverages and the members should prepare a little PuPu. I recently received the full set of Catamaran Sailing tapes from Rick White and they are really good. These will be playing on the TV all through the Liars Party.

I have the Season RTB trophy and the First to Third Place finisher's names from RTB-1 are engraved on it. You will have to join in the fun this weekend to find out whose names are on the trophy.

Please RSVP here or directly to me by phone or email so we know just how much beverages the club needs to spring for.

Cell: 808-780-8833
Email: kksc-vc@hawaii.rr.com

See you soon, Chris L.
Vice Commodore, Kokokahi Sailing Club

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24391
04/21/04 01:15 AM
04/21/04 01:15 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
Here are the results for the Jan-04 RTB-1.
January
1st Chris-Margaret M-20
2nd Geoff-Jeff M-20
3rd Chuck-John P-19

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24392
04/21/04 01:17 AM
04/21/04 01:17 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
OK Here are the results from the March RTB-2
March
1st Chris-Jason M-20
2nd Peter-Carl M-20
3rd Ryan-Cody M-20

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24393
07/08/04 04:26 AM
07/08/04 04:26 AM
Kaneohe Bay
D
Dray Offline
journeyman
Dray  Offline
journeyman
D

Kaneohe Bay
So, Like when do I get to see my name in lights? I know you're out there Chris.

NACRA Dealer
NACRA Infusion "sailing"
Hobie Tiger "sold"
Hobie 20 "sold"
Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: Dray] #24394
07/08/04 10:34 AM
07/08/04 10:34 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
Today's Round The Buoys Fun Run Regatta was a smashing success. The morning started early for me so launch the now KKSC committee boat and set the marks for the course. The club provided continental breakfast for the participants at the set up area.

I want to thank Wilts (H-16), Capt Howie (Getaway), Dan Williams (M-20), and Jeff Nash (Dart 18) for participating in this month's event. Skipper's meeting took place just before 1100am and we headed out to the course right after. Winds were variable 5-15 so it mad for some fun racing.

The M-20s stated 10 minutes after the rest of the fleet which made for close racing near the finish line. The course was set as a triangle with the start-finish line mid point in the windward leg and we ran twice around for each race. Wiltz kicked butt on the first race with a first place finish. The M-20's dueled it out every leg swapping places several times.

Race two was similar to the first but with stronger winds so Wiltz was overpowered sailing solo so and the M-20s snuck by. Then we all headed for the beach for beverages and lunch provided by the club. At this time Jeff had to depart that is why he had two DNS in race 4-5. Luckily, Capt Howie returned from his charter and joined in for races 4-5. That was his first ever regatta and Howie said he fount if lots more fun than he had expected.

Race three was quite exciting with a serious squall setting in just as we completed the first lap. I was lucky to hit the windward mark just as it kicked in and we screamed broad reaching in heavy rains and strong winds. This was the most exciting leg with every one doing the wild thing down to the jibe mark.

Race four was quick around the course and then we all headed to the club for more refreshments. Jason and I ended up at Pinky's for a couple brews and some great laughs talking about all the mistakes we made. All in All, it was a great event and I am sure every one looks forward to the next RTB.

After tallying all the scores, it was a dead tie for first place between Chris, Dan, and Wiltz. I discarded everyone's worst finish to break the tie and still even scores for the top three. So this one will go down in the record books as a three way tie for first place.

Remember, the next KKSC event is the Kahana Bay Full Moon campout scheduled for the last weekend in July. Please RSVP to me if you are planning to join in the run. I would like to suggest that any time you venture out into the ocean, you should carry a VHF radio. If you don't have one, West Marine sells waterproof hand helds for under $150 now. A very worth wile investment any time you venture outside the protection of the bay.

Hope to see you down at the club soon.

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24395
07/10/04 03:01 AM
07/10/04 03:01 AM
Kaneohe Bay
D
Dray Offline
journeyman
Dray  Offline
journeyman
D

Kaneohe Bay
It sure was great being on the water again!
My repair on the hull isn't holding so it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. See you on the water (or maybe in the water if the bow snaps off)

Last edited by Dray; 07/10/04 03:03 AM.

NACRA Dealer
NACRA Infusion "sailing"
Hobie Tiger "sold"
Hobie 20 "sold"
Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: Dray] #24396
07/10/04 10:33 AM
07/10/04 10:33 AM
Hawaii
ChrisMargaret Offline OP

Hawaii
That's bad news. Anything I can do to assist you with some repairs? CL

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: ChrisMargaret] #24397
08/24/04 01:49 AM
08/24/04 01:49 AM
kkscViceCommodore Offline
stranger
kkscViceCommodore  Offline
stranger

The RTB series is continuing to be a fun event for the club. The last RTB in July had excellent windy conditions that were sprinkled with some squall lines that made for fantastic downwind runs. After tallying the four race series scores, it was a 3-way tie for first. We threw out everyones worst race and it still was a 3 way tie.

Wiltz, Peter and I locked up the podium spots.

The next RTB race slated for September 5th will be a tune up day for our anual Sand-bar Regatta scheduled for September 25-26. The Sand-bar regatta will be a two day series with Round The Buoys on Saturday and then the Sand bar run with awards on Sunday. We are considering Saturday night as a campout at the club for all those interested.

See you all very soon on the bay. Chris L.

Re: KokoKahi Round The Buoys Races [Re: kkscViceCommodore] #24398
09/28/04 03:01 AM
09/28/04 03:01 AM
kkscViceCommodore Offline
stranger
kkscViceCommodore  Offline
stranger

Quick update for all. The annual sandbar regatta is coming this weekend: Oct 2-3/04. Saturday will start with the monthly cleanup at 8am, tent set up, bbq lunch, hull-flying contests, camp over at the club. Sunday will begin with breakfast at the club, RTB races and awards ceremony at the sandbar. Contact the Vice Commodore, Chris @ 808-780-8833 for specifics and registration.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 424 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022