Hop To
Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno #24476
09/22/03 08:16 PM
09/22/03 08:16 PM
Florida
Jon Hamlet Offline OP
Jon Hamlet  Offline OP

Florida
Spent this past weekend sailing in pretty good winds, but discovered a new problem that I never had before. I have completely redone the Taipan's front rigging, and the snuffer lines. Before, I never seemed to have any problem "snuffing" the spinnaker, even in good winds (15-20), except for occasionaly "running" over the sheets in big swells. This weekend I had trouble putting it away every time in fairly flat seas. I put the second knot about 20" down from the primary tie point in the spinnaker. I always did this to avoid the spinnaker becoming bunched as it approached the snuffer mouth. This weekend, the bottom seemed to blow out each time and I was left with spinnaker half in and half out of the chute bag. I tried moving the knot up to about 12" and back to about 36", but the 18-20" range seemed about right. I turned dead downwind as I retrieved, but struggled every time.

I can see how the mid mount snuffer (skunk) could alleviate this problem, but I'm trying to stay with the original one I put together.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I was flying it in too much wind? It was gusty, but the seas were only 2-3 feet.

But, hey! What a ride!

Jon Hamlet
Taipan #217
casey Key Island, Florida

--Advertisement--
Re: Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno [Re: Jon Hamlet] #24477
09/22/03 09:36 PM
09/22/03 09:36 PM
Central California
ejpoulsen Offline
old hand
ejpoulsen  Offline
old hand

Central California
If I understood Goodall correctly, he told me that they encountered snuffer problems similar to what you're describing until they added a third hole/patch right at the bottom (centered) of the spinnaker. This guides the initial "wad" in. I don't know if this would be relevant with your system, though, since it is an end-pole snuffer.

A photo can be seen at this web site: http://www.taipan.asn.au/
Look under Photos at the Kurnell F16 section--the photo with two blue spinnakers clearly shows the 3 patches.

I'm curious to hear from others about knotting the retrieval line--do most people do this, and if so, at what point above the hole/patches?

Eric Poulsen
A-class USA 203
Ultimate 20
Central California
Re: Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno [Re: ejpoulsen] #24478
09/23/03 08:02 PM
09/23/03 08:02 PM
Canberra, Australia
A
ABC Offline
journeyman
ABC  Offline
journeyman
A

Canberra, Australia
Hi guys,

Mine is the one in that photo with the orange jib. The three retrieval patches seems to work really well though I haven't used one with two. Seems to work really well for mid-pole snuffers as the 'snuffed' length is fairly short. We have our spinnakers set up with a halyard line and a tack line separate and when we're retrieving we let the halyard off first then pull the retrieval until it has bunched at the snuffer opening then let the tack line off. The only problem I've found with the three patches is if we don't get the tack line off in time then the whole thing grinds to a halt with a lot of stress on the bottom patch. But it does stop the whole thing from getting off the boat.

I use a knot in the halyard about 30cm (12 inches) below the top patch which seems to work ok. The bottom two patches go through together and then the top patch comes through just after to make not so much of a bunch.

Taipan 4.9 AUS129 AlphabetSoup
Re: Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno [Re: Jon Hamlet] #24479
09/29/03 06:13 PM
09/29/03 06:13 PM
Orchard Park, NY
knewbury Offline
stranger
knewbury  Offline
stranger

Orchard Park, NY
Hi Jon,

I'm also using a pole-end snuffer. At a friend's suggestion, I tied a pigtail to the top patch (about a foot long), so the patches don't both try to enter the 'toilet seat' at the same time. The halyard/retrieval line is tied to the pigtail. What a difference! I've had no problems snuffing since making this change (in a variety of conditions), except when on the wrong tack or sailing too deep. Attached is a photo that will give you an idea of patch location, etc. on my spin. Hope this helps.

Kenn Newbury
T4.9 USA 226
Orchard Park, NY

Attached Files
24843-226BFINISHhlf.jpg (177 downloads)
Re: Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno [Re: knewbury] #24480
09/29/03 09:38 PM
09/29/03 09:38 PM
Florida
Jon Hamlet Offline OP
Jon Hamlet  Offline OP

Florida
Thanks Ken, but that's what I use the second knot for. I tie the halyard to the top patch, and then drop down about 18" and tie a figure "8" in the line. This knot picks up the bottom patch 18" before the second patch and they enter the snuffer mouth with this distance between them.

My problem seems to be that the bottom of the spinnaker blows aout, often putting the spin sheets under the front hull and then I'm screwed. I've just shortened the spin sheets to where they should be just long enough and I've raised the height of the snuffer end about 16". I've also put in a bigger bungee at the rear block where I run the halyard. I've not tried this yet, but should have a chance this weekend and hopefully I'll have our normal 15-20 winds to try it on.

I have also just installed a second "patch" midway between the top and bottom patch which hopefully will keep the lower part of the spinnaker from billowing out as I take the spinnaker down. remember, I'm doing this in pretty hefty winds. I don't have a problem when the winds are under 15 and the seas are flat (2-3').

I've attached a picture of the halyard (red/white) runs through a bullet eye back thru a block bungeed to the rear beam and back thru a harken swivel cleat (right side) and up the mast.

Jon Hamlet
Taipan #217

Attached Files
Re: Retrieving spinnaker into snuffer - where's 2d kno [Re: Jon Hamlet] #24481
09/30/03 02:06 PM
09/30/03 02:06 PM
Orchard Park, NY
knewbury Offline
stranger
knewbury  Offline
stranger

Orchard Park, NY
I think the problem of running over the spin sheet can be solved by not sailing as low a course during the takedown - the sheets don't get pulled out in front of the bow. This has been my experience so far (I was also running over the spin sheet on occasion). You might also consider posting your question on the open forum - between the I-20, I-17R, etc. there is a fair amount of history/experience with pole-end snuffers.

Regards,
Kenn

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022