South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
Originally Posted by Jake
You're really going to lob that softball up there? Ding, I hope your watching...I'm going to bow to age and let you swing at this one. grin

For someone staying out of it, you certainly are trying to stir the pot.

That's a completely different pot. I'm giving Ding about another hour.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: mmiller] #256154
01/10/13 10:00 PM
01/10/13 10:00 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
Simple contraction. Not every area survived the decline of interest in "sailing"... this was not a Hobie-only event as you recall

As much as I hate keeping this going, I have to point out that the open letter to HCA (Division 6, I believe) stated that since attendance was on the RISE, they wanted to continue with "business as usual" and keep allowing the "other" brands of cats join the events. I still don't think the taste of sour grapes would have lasted as long as it did if it weren't for some of the hard core H16 racers being as "prejudice" (for lack of a better term) towards the other brands. Just my 2 cents. I, however, am looking forward to the Nationals event that will be in Galveston next October and have volunteered my services and chase boat(s). In the end, boats on the beach is never a bad thing....even if it's only one brand.
Back to the original point; There was no decline in this area. TCDYC has been promoting a "First Saturday of the Month" in the sailing season here and there have been no less that 20 boats showing up each time. I don't think HCA would have had the rise in attendance like this in this area....maybe that's why they quietly organized the event in October.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: TeamChums] #256155
01/11/13 01:29 AM
01/11/13 01:29 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Bingo.

Back to the original point; There was no decline in this area. TCDYC has been promoting a "First Saturday of the Month" in the sailing season here and there have been no less that 20 boats showing up each time.

That is the important point... ON THE WATER... Racing continued .... just under new managment... So... let the hobie edict go.... The three Hobie classes made their deal and took the factory offer!!! The immediate impact was zero. (setting aside the pissed off factor)

The issue is the future... in 2013... we have national F18, A class and Hobie 16 racing classes that are the most active with small surviving classes of dead boats of N20's, TheMightyHobie18's and H17s and who knows about the F16s and N17s... What policies will keep a viable racing scene going and what classes does each policy appeal to?...

How much cooperation is needed between these classes... Can they work together to make for a well attended multiclass cat regatta. Can they work together to build a handicap class for distance races.... How about handicap buoy races to get critical mass?

What structure gives you the best chance to grow participation...

Club racing... with little or no travel?
Regional racing cirucit?? (like the Hobie travel cirucit)
How about a couple of long national championship events that you binge on in a year with little or no club or regional racing on your calender?

LET THE CRAP GO>>>>
in 2013, It's always about critical mass of boats turning out... You cover your costs at reasonable entry fees and the parties and racing has a chance to be good.

What USEFULL advice would you give a group of sailors in SW Florida about revitalizing the sport?

I propose they partner with a Yacht club in the region and make that work for the YC and the cat sailors.

Other suggestions?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256162
01/11/13 08:26 AM
01/11/13 08:26 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Hopefully, he already knows this: the US Sailing One Design Class Council and the Hobie Class Association are two of the best resources for ideas. Matt Bounds would be a good cat sailing contact.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Jake] #256165
01/11/13 10:45 AM
01/11/13 10:45 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Jake

You're really going to lob that softball up there?

It's a slow day.... this seems to get the post count up..

Jay

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: coralreefer] #256166
01/11/13 10:54 AM
01/11/13 10:54 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
The best place I found to launch and sail my Hobie 16 is off the Sanibel Causeway. Other than the $9 toll to get over the bridge, it is actually a very decent option for sailing in the Ft.Myers area, and offers good beach launching options. I typically launch from either side of the causeway island closer to sanibel. If the winds are out of the North or west, then I launch from the north side of the island and sail in the area between the causeway, Picnic island and St. James City. Nice flat water most of the time. Kind of like the bay side in the keys.

I concur, and Pete and I have launched off that causeway once or twice. Lots of space and easy access to that inlet area.

$9 is only slightly higher than the fee they charge to use the boat ramps down in Naples/Marco. You CAN launch on the beach here in a few spots, but you CANNOT park your trailer near the beach, so you're pretty much shot for a day-sail unless you've got ground crew.

As my "Man-O-Pause" strategy is getting me closer to boat-ownership (I suggested to Heir Sweetness that it's either a boat or a sports car and a 20-something babe - to which she responded she now has a pistol and I should consider sleeping outside, but whatever) I figure that Sanibel causeway may be the easiest launch spot within a 45 minute drive.

Now to figure out how to get a trailer hitch for the civic (looks like it's got a capacity of 1000 lbs, or if I can get trailer brakes and a transmission cooler, 1500 lbs) I won't have to buy another car, making the boat that much closer to reality

Jay

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256167
01/11/13 11:05 AM
01/11/13 11:05 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No overnight parking at Sanibel Causeway. Very nice for a daysail.

The ramp adjacent to the causeway permits trailers overnight for a price but I don't know about launching and retrieval. It is an awfully busy ramp and holding up a whole line of fishermen is not something I'd care to do.

http://www.leeparks.org/facility-info/facility-details.cfm?Project_Num=0062

The causeway beach in question is the spoil island at the top of the picture near the foot of the bridge. I think of it as home.

The panoramic view is very nice. FWIW, as a New Year's resolution I've promised to launch from that beach every time I hear about a blizzard somewhere in snow country. I'll post pictures. Cheers!

Last edited by pgp; 01/11/13 11:14 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Mark Schneider] #256168
01/11/13 11:22 AM
01/11/13 11:22 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
What USEFULL advice would you give a group of sailors in SW Florida about revitalizing the sport?

CAVEAT - this would be a non-partisan (not brand specific) club, but I guess it would work with a particular brand, too. None of this is new or rocket-science. The execution is the real challenge

My Advice:
(1) Get the F* out and sail, even if you've got the crappiest boat out there. You don't have to win all the time (and if you feel that need, you're going to have to dole out some serious $$$)
(2) Invite anyone who will agree with #1
(3) Support anyone who does #1 (offer to crew, RC, score, cook, haul, board travelers, etc)
(4) Support your local sailing establishments (YC, but those are HUGELY expensive here - like a $5,000 admission fee + annual $ + monthly minimum + a member must nominate you +...), EVEN if the internet is cheaper (except Catsailor.com, of course smile )
(5) Get youth and families involved with fun events (watermelon grab, skill builder days, etc)
(6) Get off your wallet and join the club. There is no such thing as a cheap hobby anymore (except maybe nose-picking?)
(7) Maybe bring some out-of-town talent once in a while for a seminar or test/tune event. I'd love to see the likes of JC, Robbie, Jamie, or even Rick holding a 2-3 day seminar over here. Crap, even Mr. Bonifait is getting fast enough to teach us a few things...
(8) use the heck out of social media to keep everyone motivated.
(9) offer things for the non-racers - "geo-cache/scavenger hunt" type event. Expedition events,
(10) as a club, offer to assist other sailing groups at their events (like help at an Opti event). Maybe take some of them sailing sometime.

If the Hobie dealer wants to promote his product, maybe host a "demo day" during a scheduled group sail? Bring a Wave, Wildcat, some kayaks and paddleboards, etc.

Regardless of what we sail, we all need apparel and accessories (glasses, sunscreen, hats), so maybe showcase some of that...? I know if I get a boat I'll likely need epoxy/glass - just sayin'...

I was a member of our local paper sail club, even though there were ZERO beachcats, just to support the local effort. Beign boatless, all I did was show up for an occasional meeting.

I'll probably re-up if I remember, but if there were a local beachcat fleet, I'd support them first.

How far is Port Charlotte from Sanibel?

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 01/11/13 11:26 AM.

Jay

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256169
01/11/13 11:49 AM
01/11/13 11:49 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Those are some excellent ideas, Jay!

Here are some things that Hobie Fleet 448 does. This fleet is from RI, and has a large percentage of non-racers (who will never be converted, but always show up and add to the critical mass).

Staff a booth with the dealer at the winter boat shows. Promote all the sailing activities and collect names and contact info.

Have the first event be a "tune-up" day, as early in the season as possible. Partner with your dealer to have a parts truck on site at the beach, or have the event at the dealership. The goal is to get the boats set up (often for the first time of the season) and correct any equipment issues. Sailing on this day is a bonus, not a requirement.

Fun races, short distance races, scavenger hunts, poker runs, island hops, relay races, water balloon fights, and clinics round out the rest.

Partner with a local adult educational program, and host a learn-to-sail day. Most large cities have such organizations, where you can do things like ski, kayak, basket-weave, etc.

Feed people. The fleet has an equipment trailer, at least half of the stuff in there is focused on feeding people (grill, tent, tables, coolers, paper goods, etc.). Post-sailing alcohol is a bonus if your sailing location allows that.

Communicate. Email at a minimum, a short paper newsletter is best (can be passed out on the beach, schedule can be posted on your fridge at home, etc.). Your dealer, West Marine and other places should be willing to post flyers for you, especially if you give them ad space in your newsletter.

Hobie Fleet 204 (Syracuse, NY) has a larger percentage of racers, and their activities tend to reflect that, but they are hugely successful at recruiting newbies. They do many of the things above, as well as:

Newbie Tuesday: Take out new sailors each week on existing members boats, or their own if that applies.

Fleet racing every Thursday, usually swapping crews to cross-train. Newbies are encouraged to attend.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256170
01/11/13 11:54 AM
01/11/13 11:54 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Mike, you pretty much described fleet 444 to a T.
www.fleet444.com

I'm boatless.
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Karl_Brogger] #256171
01/11/13 11:55 AM
01/11/13 11:55 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
A local prindle guy said "Girls on Trampolines", but I don't know how politically correct that would be to alienate 50% of the potential market...

Jay

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256173
01/11/13 12:52 PM
01/11/13 12:52 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
Girls like girls too.

Scorpion F18
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256175
01/11/13 02:19 PM
01/11/13 02:19 PM
Charlotte Harbor, FL
Stuff4Toys Offline OP
Stuff4Toys  Offline OP

Charlotte Harbor, FL
Sorry for making this post and then disappearing, I thought I had notifications turned on and never got an email.

A friend and crewmate just stopped by and told me about the uproar I caused on this thread. SORRY. blush

We are interested in seeing All cats and tris on the water here in Charlotte Harbor whether we make money or not. Obviously we AND the sailing public will benefit, especially if we can get all those dead cats out of peoples yards and on the water again.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: pgp] #256176
01/11/13 02:21 PM
01/11/13 02:21 PM
Charlotte Harbor, FL
Stuff4Toys Offline OP
Stuff4Toys  Offline OP

Charlotte Harbor, FL
Originally Posted by pgp
In SWFl access has always been the problem. No beach, no beach cats.

Here is a great park for launching boats, either by beach or boat landing. this is the same location where the Charlotte Harbor Regatta will be located.

http://www.charlottecountyfl.com/communityservices/ParkPages/PortCharlotteBeach.asp

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: waterbug_wpb] #256177
01/11/13 02:23 PM
01/11/13 02:23 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline
veteran
tback  Offline
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Crap, even Mr. Bonifait is getting fast enough to teach us a few things...

Ummm .... I think you meant Mrs. Bonifait ...

USA 777
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256178
01/11/13 02:31 PM
01/11/13 02:31 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Good stuff, Karl. None of this is rocket science, we just need to learn from one another. New ideas are always great, but the tried-and-true stuff is also important.

Mike

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256179
01/11/13 02:49 PM
01/11/13 02:49 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline
addict
jkkartz1  Offline
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
As the only one that posts here and lives here in Charlotte County, its my turn. A little history first.

I learned to sail from the Charloote County Red Cross back in 1973. The instructor looking at my hair hanging down to my shoulders said, "You should be sailing one of those Hobie Cats". I rented a 14 for an afternoon and I was hooked. In 1976 at age 22, I knew it was better up north and moved back to Northern Indiana. I soon saved enough for the down payment and had enough savings for a share loan from the credit union and was the proud owner of a new 1977 16'Hobie Cat. We sailed small lakes in the area the first year and then found Lake Street Beach in Gary and Hobie Fleet 126 in Michigan City. I was single and working with enough time to hit our club races, Division 10 and several Midwinters East inFlorida.

After getting laid off again in 1985, I moved back to Punta Gorda, expecting a simiar sailing scene.

WRONG!

There was seldom another beach cat on Chalotte Harbor. I sailed a few races with a fleet in Fort Myers. I probably met Pete. Then I got promoted at Radio Shack working 6-10's (according to the district manager my sole purpose in life was to increase sales and profits for the Tandy Corporation). The 1984 white sailed Hobie 16 got parked. I left the Shack and worked 9-5 M-F, but adopted a pair of sisters aged 1 & 2. The Hobie stayed parked for another 10 years until I felt the girls were big enough to safely sail on it. We still seldom saw another beach cat on Charlotte Harbor.

The oldest daughter and I raced a few times, JPOR and Dunedan, but she discovered boys and Dad wasn't as much fun.

Now the Hobie gets sailed for fun a few times a year and I crew on a Stiletto in the local club races.

Many times I have followed people towing cats to stop and talk, I'd give them one of my business cards and write Hobie on it for them and then never hear back. I followed on fellow with "Hobie" on his license plate. He didn't know Sailing from Shinola, that was his name.

I just came back from talking to Stuff4Toys. He just was added to the crew on the Stiletto. He is also the new Race Captain for the Punta Gorda Sailing Club.

After the Charlotte Harbor Regatta and the Conquistador Cup we are going to plan a get together at Port Charlotte Beach. He is now renting Waves there. The local paper will give us some publicity. We may or may not draw a crowd.

Last edited by jkkartz1; 01/11/13 02:50 PM.
Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Mlcreek] #256180
01/11/13 03:08 PM
01/11/13 03:08 PM
Charlotte Harbor, FL
Stuff4Toys Offline OP
Stuff4Toys  Offline OP

Charlotte Harbor, FL
Originally Posted by Mlcreek
I concur, that as a business owner that wants to promote his product, he is entitled to do so, but does alienates others. However this is not the case with the CHarlotte Harbor Regatta. They simply refuse to have an open class for all, because of purported staffing.

BUT (and everyone has a but) Charlotte Harbor Regatta will open a fleet for any boat that can come up with 4-6 boats or more.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: waterbug_wpb] #256181
01/11/13 03:12 PM
01/11/13 03:12 PM
Charlotte Harbor, FL
Stuff4Toys Offline OP
Stuff4Toys  Offline OP

Charlotte Harbor, FL
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
right, but his opening comment referenced the Charlotte regatta, and that threw me off.

Zombies aren't really sharp, so....

I figured the regatta would stir up local interest in cat sailing, that's why I figured it would be a good kick off for a beach cat fleet.

Re: Help us build a SW Florida Hobie Fleet [Re: Stuff4Toys] #256182
01/11/13 03:14 PM
01/11/13 03:14 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
J
jkkartz1 Offline
addict
jkkartz1  Offline
addict
J

Punta Gorda, FL
I may be wrong but the Charlotte Harbor Regatta is a 1 design love fest. I doubt that either a Portsmouth or PHRF class was ever contemplated.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 287 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022