04/10/13 07:05 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Mike

It seems to me... you have a choice of TLE OR a Mercy kill on the course.

The TLE NOR's have two forms... So many minutes behind the first place finisher will be scored TLE DNF's ... OR the RC sets an arbitrary time limit for the race or just declares a clock time as the TLE in the NOR for a distance race.

I much prefer the Mercy Kill in a OD race. Suffered through a god awful race with a TLE of 2 hours for the race... 2 boats finished before the fluky wind died altogether... The PRO was stuck... abandon the race or wait for the time limit. We all suffered knowing the chances were for no more races that day... It would have been better back at the pool.

Time to steal that wording and get them to substitute Mercy Kill for TLE.

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Scoring [Re: tback] #258881
04/10/13 07:25 PM
04/10/13 07:25 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

It's not an exact science, and we're talking about the back of the fleet here. You have to take a (small) leap of faith here, this really is the most fair way to do this, and if nothing else, it's the best tool to eliminate the #1 complaint of too much sitting around between races.

Trust me, you CAN have TLE and FOW, and everyone's lives work out just fine...

Mike

PS: If you really want your brain to melt, two other very highly respected IROs (who also happen to be judges) showed me that this can be done for handicapped fleets as well. That takes major cajones...

Re: Scoring [Re: brucat] #258882
04/10/13 08:02 PM
04/10/13 08:02 PM
Orlando, FL
tback Offline OP
veteran
tback  Offline OP
veteran

Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by brucat
It's not an exact science, and we're talking about the back of the fleet here. You have to take a (small) leap of faith here, this really is the most fair way to do this, and if nothing else, it's the best tool to eliminate the #1 complaint of too much sitting around between races.

Trust me, you CAN have TLE and FOW, and everyone's lives work out just fine...

Mike

PS: If you really want your brain to melt, two other very highly respected IROs (who also happen to be judges) showed me that this can be done for handicapped fleets as well. That takes major cajones...

Speaking from experience, when I [was] in the back of the fleet I'd cut the race short and tell the RC to DNF me ... it's not like I needed the points!

To me I'd rather line up and try again ... you learn alot more when you're in close proximity to other boats!

USA 777
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022