Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia

1740 Jurassic Karp cool

History:
Built by AJ Ginning from South Australia around ~1995 and originally named ...
"Pink Bits II " .....
AJ built a number of timber boats and at least 3 other mosquito's were constructed after 1740 by him.

Originally built for cat rigged only sailing a few minor changes were done during the construction such as hull doublers at the front beams being omitted, 3ply was also used instead of 4ply for the decks with the 3ply having a 50gsm glass coat on the under side of the deck to aid with strength.

Subsequently the boat ended up 6kgs under-weight shocked

Jim Sage purchased the boat and rebuilt it to take a sloop rig setup. Kevlar was added to the inner hulls for ~600mm either side of the front beam to assist with the additional load of the sloop bridle.
Other areas were also strengthened to for the riggers of 2up sailing.
Jim's 'strengthening' added a few extra kilos bringing the boats weight to 56kgs when completed...... he also re-named the boat
Jurassic Karp
cool

Matt Kirby purchased it in ~2003 from the 3rd owner (unknown) and a 2nd rebuild was done in 2005 which included poorly done previous repairs being re-done, carpeted centreboard slots with aero foiled shaped hulls along with a hobie style trampoline & a complete re-paint with graffics added, the main change was the addition of a spinnaker setup
smirk

Matt competed in 3 national, 5 state, 2 F16 titles with Jurassic Karp.

Matt under spinnaker power @ WYC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I purchased the boat from Matt a month ago..... why ????
Jurassic = old
Karp = pest
and that's me...... an old pest laugh

the story is about to start .....

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #259960
06/02/13 07:58 AM
06/02/13 07:58 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Rigging:

Side stays fitted with Ronstan fine adjustment

3 front stays.....
a/ split stay setup for cat rigged
b/ sloop stay and bridle
c/ cat rig with spinnaker single stay and bridle to suit

1 pair of Dyneema adjustable length trap wires
2 pairs of 2mm wire and loops

Ronstan 'Orbit Block' 7:1 mainsheet system

clip-on jib blocks and sheets

Ronstan 40mm ratchet blocks with 6mm sheet.

Boyer blades with EDPM covers

Stainless steel rudder stocks

Glass coated cedar centreboards.

Sails:

Ashby Main with fibrefoam batterns (circa 2006)

Goodall Main (circa 2002)

Horizon Jib

Irwin Spinnaker (circa 2007)

Spars:

Anodised mast with spanner rotation setup
8:1 external haul down system
spinnaker hound loop and "on water" adjustable diamond tensioners with a fixed spreader.

Alloy square section boom with 4wheel car out-haul
spare 2 arrow mast type boom

Carbon-fibre spinnaker pole with internal halyard, tack and control blocks
Blade 16 fibreglass/graphite spinnaker mouth with trampoline material as the spinnaker chute.

Other stuff:

lightweight & well balanced galvinised registered trailer

fibreglass sailbox

barrel beach rollers

Mosquito tuning manual

Mosquito assoc plans with additional building instructions wink

smile

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #259961
06/02/13 08:52 AM
06/02/13 08:52 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
So whats this all about then you may ask.......

well the next pic will tell a thousand stories, and this is where my part of Jurassic Karp's history starts.

The Idea is to show what can be done and allow future owners / sailors an insight to this particular cat.

The down right ugly:

starboard hull crack eek

[Linked Image]

For those that bothered to read the first post, you'll recall that the original build did not have hull doublers fitted and that a 2nd re-build saw Kevlar added to strengthen up the area around the front beam..... and that a jib was added and subsequently a spinnaker as well, all placing additional load onto the area

So why did did it crack ????? obvious you may think.....
Have another look at the photo wink

the crack is opening at the beam connection area and although the pic isn't that clear the hull is actually being compressed
to the point where it has bulged out slightly at the bottom of the crack....

so how can the load of sailing cause the crack when all the load on the hull is inwards and upwards when sailing, yet this crack says its trying to go out and down.....

the real cause of the stress fracture is "resonant frequency"

A poor trailer design has allowed the hulls to whip up and down during transportation, up to 4" of twist can be seen when towing the boat..... hit a pothole in the road when the hull is flexing downwards and the stress becomes too much....

want to prove it to yourself ?

tear a sheet of paper in half, the inital tear point is the deck line, the bottom part of the sheet of paper will bulge out slightly as you begin the tear, the middle of the sheet where you are tearing it is going up and the ends are going down..... the dead opposite load to "under sail conditions" where the loads are all in the opposite direction

This is proven by the opposite side hull, well actually the front beam near where it joins the port hull, the beam itself has a tension crack across the top edge.... so if sailing was the cause then the crack would be on the bottom of the beam or it would be a compression crack on the top of the beam instead of a tension crack
This crack in the beam is exactly halfway between the hull and the support that holds the front beam when its being trailered around
(pic to come)

When I removed the front and rear beams the rivets that hold the dolphin striker to the bottom edge of the main beam were highly polished, suggesting movement all be it a small amount, further more the vibrations of being transported has flogged out the dolphin striker tensioner.....

all this from a bad trailer carrying setup, and for those wondering what it is.....
the boat is only held by the front and rear beams, 2 mounting locators cradle the front beam, 1 locator in the middle of the rear beam is all that holds the back half of the boat

the front beam instantly becomes the leverage point while the rear mount becomes the hinge, hey presto, one stress fracture

So the repair.....

I've spoken to several known and indeed unknown boat builders on how to tackle the issue, a plan was thought out and with a modification or two we have the best solution and repair method we collectively could design.....

now before everyone starts on how to fix it, your too late cry

The first stage of glassing was completed tonight.....

relax.... there's more pics to come as the process goes on

now where did I put that RUM
crazy

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260139
06/07/13 09:56 PM
06/07/13 09:56 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Pic taken prior to teardown.....

you can see how one side of the boat is cradled on the front beam in this pic....
its duplicated on the port hull....

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260140
06/07/13 10:01 PM
06/07/13 10:01 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
front beam crack, port hull ..... as promised cool

this crack is a tension crack not a compression crack

notice where the crack is in relation to the hull and trailer support.... almost exactly in the middle
wink
[Linked Image]

closeup of the cracked beam

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260141
06/07/13 10:20 PM
06/07/13 10:20 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
time for some open heart surgery cry

and if one hull needs to be repaired then I'll have to "fix" the other one aswell
smirk

you can see dayligt coming through the crack aswell

[Linked Image]

NB:
5 stringers under the main deck...... confused

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260142
06/07/13 10:26 PM
06/07/13 10:26 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
close up shot.....

[Linked Image]

note where the kevlar finishes...... and the original 260gsm glass tape finishes on the two plates....
and can you see the area thats not been glassed at all, yup right along the crack

better pic to come of that issue
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260143
06/07/13 10:37 PM
06/07/13 10:37 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
This is the port hull

this pic shows how the timber ply was left un-glassed and without the additional kevlar layer. the starboard hull is identicle except its cracked, so it would only have been a question of time before this hull failed aswell
cry

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260144
06/07/13 10:48 PM
06/07/13 10:48 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
repair time......

now as much as I'm not a fan of those TV advertised "special tools, but wait there's more" adds, I have to sadly admit defeat to the "renovator", I simply couldnt have done these cuts without it.
Gladly I borrowed this unit so its cost me SFA and thats a good thing
grin

[Linked Image]

My 3ply hull doubler sitting roughly in position wink
the 2 plates have had ~8mm removed from them, this will allow me enough room to fit the additional stiffners that I'm fitting (actually allready done but I wont rush you wink )

112 views and not a single comment..... mental note to self, must be doing it right ....
[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260147
06/08/13 12:53 AM
06/08/13 12:53 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Port hull:
this hull isnt cracked but in this pic you can see the potential for the damage we have on the other hull.
The depressed area at the beam mount is clearly showing signs of the disaster that was going to happen had I left this un-attended....

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260158
06/08/13 09:28 PM
06/08/13 09:28 PM
South Oz
Phillip Offline
journeyman
Phillip  Offline
journeyman

South Oz
Great post, keep it going.
Another area of failure with this generation of hulls was the centre decks. They failed over time because the (5) stringers were inserted directly into the top of the foam sub-frames. They could not carry point loading of a knee, or high impact, coming in of the wire with gusto. A picture suggests the centre deck has been removed, and failure is evident. Suggestion: upgrade the deck support method whilst its off. See a previous post by Simon Hallsworth who successfully made this upgrade on a sister boat last winter.
Also he has info on face book. Contact him for info. I can supply some also. Send a PM.
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246814&page=1
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246814&page=2

Last edited by Phillip; 06/08/13 09:42 PM.

Tortured ply is clearly beautiful.
Mozzie Aldebaran VI
Re: 1740 [Re: Phillip] #260159
06/09/13 01:47 AM
06/09/13 01:47 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Phillip
Great post, keep it going.

I intend to wink
was beginning to wonder if anybody was actually reading it blush

Another area of failure with this generation of hulls was the centre decks. They failed over time because the (5) stringers were inserted directly into the top of the foam sub-frames.

Glad someone's onto it grin
The starboard hull main dech has a soft spot..... right about where my boney butt resides grin

I also posted earlier about the 5 stringers in the starboard hull...... the port hull only has 3 stringers under the main deck crazy
Starboard hull stringers (5 off) are 12mm x 8mm whilst the port hull's stringers (3 off) are 16mm x 12mm, the last owner (Matt) did replace one deck but he's forgotted as to which one, I'm guessing its the port hull as the internal work is much "fresher" in comparision.

Plan at this stage is one of three choices .....

1/ replace the stringers in both hulls with 16mm x 12mm and splash some extra glass over them to aid the foam sub-frames....

2/ make from 3mm ply a 'plate' that runs verticly from hull side to hull side and glass that onto the foam, then cut the top to the deck curve and rebate it aswell for the stringers..... this plate would only be 75mm deep

3/ full "I" beam the main deck..... cut the damaged foam so that its straight from gunwale to gunwale, slide in a 3ply crossmember (~40mm in width), cut a verticle 3ply and shape one side to profile the deck and glass in.... cut stringer slots and fit stringers, then lay a 3rd strip of ply over the verticles.

Option 1.... simple, straight foward quick and easy. Prone to failure eventually is the main drawback.... dont want to do this again mad
Option 2.... little bit longer in the repair side of things but should outlast the rest of the boat cool
option 3.... super strong, it really doesnt need the stringers fitted at all, bloody slow process to make all the "i" beams and fit them tho, and the biggest plus is that both sides of the hull are tied together through the "I" beam, thus strengthening the area along the tramp line
wink

I have 8 lengths of 16mm x 12mm stringers all ready cut, if I go with option 2 I belive I can drop it to 4 stringers per deck, remembering that the deck with 5 has failed and the deck with 3 is fine....

The internal part of the crack repair at this stage is completed with pics to follow shortly, the undamaged hull has also had the same re-inforcing plates added and is also completed..... work on the main deck starts tommorow

Thanks for the links too......

Kingy

Last edited by Pirate; 06/09/13 01:52 AM.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260161
06/09/13 05:55 AM
06/09/13 05:55 AM
South Oz
Phillip Offline
journeyman
Phillip  Offline
journeyman

South Oz
I used option 3 on Aldebaran V, 1995. No stringers, never had a problem.
Your option 3; 'new' top of foam must have a capping so the 'I' beam edge does not cut down into the foam. I used 3mm ply but glass resined onto the foam may also work. If you have the WRC stringers already, may be OK but is it necessary to have the 'I' beam full height? Why not have them (the stringer width of) 16mm lower and sit them ontop of the 'I' beam. Glue them onto the 'I' beam (during the application of the glass fabric), glue the stringers onto the 'I' beam, glue the deck onto the stringers, stringers will not move once the deck glue has grip of them also.
Hint, to shape the top of the 'I' beam:
1. cut to length (int. width of hull)
2. place a piece of 16mm timber ontop of the 'new' foam top
3. place the 'I' beam in position ontop of it
4. scribe the deck curvature onto it using a concaved deck curve template spanning across the gunwales
5. remove 'I' beam and cut to scribed line
6. remove 16mm spacer piece, glass, fit and glue shaped 'I' beam. (Devise a method to hold them vertical.)
7. glue stringers onto it.
This method will not need the tops of the 'I' beams to be shaped after fitting. The glued stringers will need only minimal truing.
Step 6 can be left until all items prepared and the gluing done in one application. Label parts for correct location when experiencing "gluing stress".
NB: ensure the new deck has 2 layers of epoxy applied to the under surface, 1st allowed to gel, 2nd applied during fitting.
Ensure the tops of the stringers are precoated also or they will 'suck' the glue mixture dry and weaken the glue bond.
Trust I am not teaching to 'suck eggs'.
Good luck with it all.

Last edited by Phillip; 06/09/13 05:58 AM.

Mozzie Aldebaran VI
Re: 1740 [Re: Phillip] #260167
06/09/13 07:03 PM
06/09/13 07:03 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Its not quite decision day yet but its fast approaching as to what I system I choose.

I like the "I" beam the most but the time taken to manafacture the components alone is well out there, even with my $40 band saw (god I love facebook buy/sell sites grin) it will be a slow process.

the 2nd option I listed is quicker and far lass complicated, single 3inch wide strip cut to the width of the hull and with one side cut to the deck curve and 4 slots to take the stringers, by gluing them onto the side of the foam subframes they would have enough surface area inwhich to spread the load out evenly through the foam....
A 2nd strip could if warranted be placed on the top of the foam to for a "T" .... not as strong as te I beam but certainly a lot quicker.

I hadn't thought of your idea of lowering the "I" beams down the 16mm and then setting the stringers onto them ...
certainly a very strong system
cool

mmmmmmm more food for thought
cry

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260168
06/09/13 07:14 PM
06/09/13 07:14 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
port hull

[Linked Image]

pic shows the doubler plate installed (about a week ago) and a 2nd stiffner plate having just been fitted, the masking tape is covering small wood wedges that are holding the plate tightly against the doubler plate.
The masking tape is easier to remove if a bit of resin gets hold of it compared to an uncovered wedge being glued to the subframes or plate...

The stiffner plate is there to add additional strength to the compromised hull.
Put simply.... if I cut and scarf in a new section where the actual hull crack is I'm weakening a failed area even more, so the crack is best left well alone other than a slight scarfing and glassing, the stiffner plate is really now the outer hull but just located a bit further internally wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260169
06/09/13 07:19 PM
06/09/13 07:19 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
starboard hull

[Linked Image]

doubler plate and stiffner glued in place, 'scratched up' ready to be glassed in
cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260170
06/09/13 07:37 PM
06/09/13 07:37 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
starboard hull

[Linked Image]

260gsm cloth laid in place and ready for gluing
The cloth is ~25mm larger than the doubler plate, this should well and truely tie it all together
wink

3 other strips will be fitted as the resin is applied....

1 will run between the 2 timber sub frames and will run the full depth of the hull

the other 2 will cover the subframe plates and outwards over the stiffner plate, this will tie the subframe plates back to the way it was.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260171
06/09/13 07:40 PM
06/09/13 07:40 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
and hey presto.....

the completed product grin

port hull
[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260172
06/09/13 07:45 PM
06/09/13 07:45 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
starboard hull

[Linked Image]

chopped glass mat was added to the subframe/stiffner conection where there was a gap.
it shows as an off white haze in the pic.

this was taken shortly after the resing had been applied and it was still tacky when I snapped this shot
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260177
06/10/13 05:23 AM
06/10/13 05:23 AM
South Oz
Phillip Offline
journeyman
Phillip  Offline
journeyman

South Oz
I'm impressed!
Looks like how it should have from day 1.
Are the beam attachment nuts captive under the beam box?
If not, glue foam between the two frame, X mm below the beam box so if the nuts are dropped during assembly, they do not fall all the way down to the keel and then cannot be recovered.

Mozzie Aldebaran VI
Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260178
06/10/13 05:35 AM
06/10/13 05:35 AM
M
mosquito Offline
stranger
mosquito  Offline
stranger
M

Good work. Keep on posting, interesting read. I am keen to know what you are going to do with trailer modifications .

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260284
06/12/13 03:21 AM
06/12/13 03:21 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
another quick snapshot.....

as you can see "room" to get my hands into the foredeck side of the hulls was damn tight let alone seeing what I was doing , now imagine having to move the glass mat around and then apply resin and smoooooth it all out....

mutter mutter mutter.....

lack of room was a major pain in the butt cry

[Linked Image]

and yes (as you can obviously see) ... surgical tools became a great choice, clamp please nurse.... syringe full of resin please nurse....

repair.... nah this was surgery
laugh

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Phillip] #260285
06/12/13 03:25 AM
06/12/13 03:25 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Are the beam attachment nuts captive under the beam box?

no their not at all, but the design allows me to get access to them fairly easily.
Te rear beam attatchment is a tad more difficult, but if I move the hatches back about 30mm I should have no dramas at all, my arms were just a bit long to do it comfortably..... need a folding wrist at times
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: mosquito] #260286
06/12/13 03:33 AM
06/12/13 03:33 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by mosquito
I am keen to know what you are going to do with trailer modifications .

Ahhhhh yeah about that.......

Your in for a bit of a wait grin

but.....

I'll be widening the main drawbar, which will in turn widen the foward "cradling" points for the front beam wink
(works out to be about 130mm wider at the beam cradling point)
I'll also be adding as couple of stiffining plates to reduce the drawbar flex.

removing one leaf from the spring pak (softening the ride and we all like a soft ride every now n then grin)

altering the rear carrying points completely (which caused this issue in the first place mad)

fitting a larger sailbox (cause the current one is a tad small)

and I'm thinking of increasing the actual wheel size.... mini wheels are ok ..... for minis crazy
oddly enough toyota corolla rims fit perfectly...
whistle

the trailer side isnt an issue for me..... its what I sort of do for a living.....

here's a duel mozzie setup I did a few months ago... cool

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pirate; 06/12/13 03:42 AM.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260378
06/14/13 02:06 AM
06/14/13 02:06 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

Hi all, interesting setup on trailer, i usally have the top boat upside down, is it much wind-age in that configuration, and is it top heavy?

Matt
The joker 1826
Mossie pres

Re: 1740 [Re: Matt_Stone] #260380
06/14/13 04:40 AM
06/14/13 04:40 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
When I spoke to the owner last about it he was more than happy with it and the way it all works..... they'd towed it a couple of hundred K's and didnt notice any differance from a solo cat to the duel cat towing, so far all's good
smile

I built it for a father / son combination where there are the odd times when they both wish to go to the same regatta, otherwise the two boats are usually carted around on their own trailers for club events.

The setup in the pic is "slip on" so the extra boat carrying pieces can be stored easily for solo boat use, and easily fitted when the two of them wish to head off together.... it takes about 10mins to slip on the duel carrier setup AND the 2nd mozzie by 2 people.
When the duel setup is removed you'd struggle to spot the differance from a std trailer to this one.....
smile

Both top and bottom mozzies are carried by the front and rear beams and both masts can easily be placed on the top of the loaded boats from the side and do not interefer (rub) with each other.

the only disadvantage I can see is you HAVE TO remove the top boat in order to get the bottom boat off... no big deal seeing that both boats are going racing

cool

Last edited by Pirate; 06/14/13 04:44 AM.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260425
06/15/13 04:44 PM
06/15/13 04:44 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the soft deck..... mad

the worst area has ~8mm of defelection with most of the deck easily moving 3~4mm with slight pressure.

[Linked Image]

with the deck peeled off and the foam sub-frames cut out I then cut up some new ones.....
pic shows the old frames and you can clearly see the collapsed area.
The failing foam wasn't the only issue, two of the timber stringers had also failed, one had snapped and the other had seperated from the glue...... that explains the "rattle" I had when a gentle thump was applied to the deck
crazy

sub-frame #5 had compressed the most, as you can see its actully curved in the opposite direction to the deck shape

[Linked Image]

The new frames have been cut, given a light coat of resin for added strength, and had a final trim to fit perfectly.
I've also decided on a stringer support design that I'm happy with.
the "I"beam design is great, but the time restraint means many w/ends of toiling away in the shed, secondly, only one deck needs this repair so its pointless in distroying a good deck just for duplication reasons....
So I've come up with a very simple plate that will add support to the stringers, and tie the 2 hull sides together..... it can aslo easilly be slipped into place without major issues in the hull with the good deck.

Although the foam sub-frames are cut and ready to fit, half of them are being fitted with the support plates prior to the final fitting to the hull.

cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260429
06/16/13 04:23 AM
06/16/13 04:23 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
new subframes being made and test fitted....

the ply on the subframes (laying on the fordeck) will give you a hint as to which way I'm going.....

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260430
06/16/13 04:35 AM
06/16/13 04:35 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
ready to be glued in grin

[Linked Image]

Once they are good n solidly stuck, I'll cut some little rebates for the stringers and then glue in the stringers.
The ply will spread the load accross a large area compared to the stringer just sitting in the foam..... It has the added advantage of tieing the two hull sides together..... and its lighter than the I-beam.... and I can install these on the other side without spending hours n hours cutting/forming/ makeing little bits/glueing..... yawn !!!

I contemplated fitting a "deck plate" (for want of a better word) to each foam subframes, but doing every 2nd frame seemed better and had the right look... in doing every 2nd foamy it comes out to 270mm between each deck plate which is hell of a lot more support than its ever had wink

the best bit is that each deck plate works nicely into the areas that see a lot of butt action...
laugh

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260946
07/04/13 06:16 PM
07/04/13 06:16 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
nice break..... gotta love holidays grin

The new subframes cut to the deck shape and fitted in place

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260947
07/04/13 06:18 PM
07/04/13 06:18 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
stringer slots cut and test fitting of the stringers done cool

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260948
07/04/13 06:26 PM
07/04/13 06:26 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
So while I'm "in there"..... I found a couple of uglies, previous repairs that had long since past their use-by date, so these have been re-done and are now all good.

this is the worst one I encountered....

starboard side of the port hull at the transom.

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260949
07/04/13 06:29 PM
07/04/13 06:29 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
cleaned up and ready for glassing grin

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260950
07/04/13 06:37 PM
07/04/13 06:37 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
if you look closely...... you'll notice a "mark" on the starboard hull, just behind the beam mount...

interesting as it sort of seems about the same age as the damaged section of the port hull but far less severe...

[Linked Image]

closer shot of the damage ....
[Linked Image]

me thinks another cat may have been the cause of these two strikes
smirk

regardless of when / where / or whatever, these two impacts have been re-repaired and the hulls are now in a clean tidy condition.....

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260951
07/04/13 06:50 PM
07/04/13 06:50 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
With the hull repairs all finished I can get back to the deck rebuild.
I added ply plates to the port hull so it matched the starboard hulls design, these were fiddly to do as I didn't remove the stringers from that hull.... Matt had rebuilt this side a few years back and the setup was still reasonably sound, no point in making work for myself, although it probably would have been quicker to rip them out in hind sight.

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260952
07/04/13 07:09 PM
07/04/13 07:09 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
in this shot you'll notice a couple of major changes.....

1/
the fore decks have been removed shocked

2/
the port hull's centreboard case stiffener has been removed shocked

[Linked Image]

Item 2....
I wasn't happy with the height of the centreboard case stiffener, it had put a bulge in the deck and subsequently fine cracks had appeared at both the front and rear of the actual case slot.
My deck shape template showed that the case was sitting about 6mm too high, obviously this placed a major strain on the deck in that area.

Item 1
I had a "rattle" in the hull and no matter what I did I couldn't shake what ever it was free nor could I get it to move down enough to be able to physically remove it ....
the deck simply had to come off

and the culprit was......

[Linked Image]

any wonder I couldn't shake it out crazy

the 3rd reason I removed the foredecks was for the front shroud mounts, both of these had movement, granted it wasn't a huge amount but they should be solid, the starboard hull mount was slightly worse with a distinct click each time it was nudged, The actual fixing is good but the bolts had simply come loose.
They also have a small washer on the nut side and this really isn't big enough to spread the load evenly through the timber sub-frame. A larger plate will replace 2 of the washers and the 3rd bolt will have to do as it is, its simply in-accessible.

foot note:
The front stay mounts have 3 holes for mounting, Being in the fabrication/engineering game I hate this type of connection, odd numbered connections simply don't work as well as even numbered connections, reason being one of the bolts will ALWAYS act as a hinge or lever point on the other bolts....

just sayin
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260953
07/04/13 07:28 PM
07/04/13 07:28 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
So where am I up to at the moment.......

all the repairs have been done, and the work on the deck strengthening is completed, and I've made a few minor mods to other sections such as adding 2 stringers to both hulls from the transom plate to the rear beam (one had been damaged purely from being leaned on so they were obviously a tad weak).

I've spent endless hours scraping / chipping excess resin from all over the hulls..... 5 vacuum cleaner bags full to be precise plus a good sized amount of chippings that the vacuum simply couldn't take due to the size shocked
All up.... ~6kgs of "rubbish" has been stripped from both hulls. I have added ~1kg of additional material with my design changes / strengthening.

gotta be happy .... a fitness program where the boat gains a major strength upgrade and yet looses more fat than was added
grin

Plans for this weekends work, fit new fore decks and rear decks.
cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260958
07/05/13 06:31 AM
07/05/13 06:31 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
couple of quick ones.....

the new stringers I've fitted to the rear deck area, should also help with the hatch which was just bolted to the ply deck
wink

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260959
07/05/13 06:33 AM
07/05/13 06:33 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
closer shot of the centre case stiffeners, this was ~20mins after being glued in

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260961
07/05/13 06:43 AM
07/05/13 06:43 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
that troublesome front forestay mount that's loose
mutter mutter mutter ......

you can just make out the gap between the resin and the plate which is due to the plate movement.

[Linked Image]

the other side view......
note the washers that are fitted, any wonder there's movement.

[Linked Image]
As you can see I'll have to "dig" the top bolt from its grave of resin in order to fix it properly.....
more hours of time on the fiddly stuff
frown
& naturally.... guess which side I need access to.... yeah that would be the one where I'll need a child sized mit

mutter mutter mutter
mad

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260964
07/05/13 10:14 AM
07/05/13 10:14 AM
Port Hedland
Beckit 1824 Offline
Beckit 1824  Offline

Port Hedland
Nice work. Interesting what you say about odd numbered securing on fittings. My diamond wires are attached with 3 rivets after I drilled out an additional hole, but they are more in shear but I never considered the lever action. Fantastic work on the hulls.
I just helped a friend buy a wooden mozzie but is good to see one back to a skeleton.

Re: 1740 [Re: Beckit 1824] #260970
07/05/13 06:20 PM
07/05/13 06:20 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by beckit 1824
...... Interesting what you say about odd numbered securing on fittings......

I work in steel fabrication, so design through to completed work is my pay packet smile
Everything we manufacture from major steel work to a 'kit shed' all relies on even numbered bolted connections, yeah even those kit sheds that are tek-screwed together use even numbered screwed joints.
There are other factors that come into the equasion such as clamping area and rotational forces but in 99.9% of designs we have to have engineered are all even numbered bolted joints, I cant actually recall ever using an odd numbered connection
crazy

With my front shroud plate, the lowest bolt in the pic has become the 'hinge point', this places a leverage load on the two other bolts.....
Obviously they wont sheer but they will add undue pressure to the weakest part of the connection which in this case is the timber sub-frame, and hence the movement I now have, this movement is "wearing" at the timber holes.....
My plan is to enlarge the clamping area over what it currently is, and by fitting a plate to the nuts side of the timber sub-frame I should dramatically increase the 'grip' the fitting has... this plate will be the same size and shape as the actual fitting
(thankfully there's a good supply of stainless sheet in my shed, this is one of a few fittings that will be re-worked... stay tuned)
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #260972
07/06/13 04:53 AM
07/06/13 04:53 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Pirate
that troublesome front forestay mount that's loose
mutter mutter mutter ......

well it took all afternoon but was worth it.....

NB: Washers are under the actual bolt heads now
[Linked Image]

and the other side......

[Linked Image]

My new plate glued into place and all nice n tight
smile

maybe tomorrow I might start to get some decking action.....
mad

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261298
07/12/13 06:19 PM
07/12/13 06:19 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
The rear decks are done.... pics to follow wink

but I noticed something wasn't quite right with the fore decks, so after a bit of investigation......

[Linked Image]
the deck had dropped down considerably, ~5mm drop between the front beam mount and the forward shroud mounting plate.

Around 30% of the stringer/sub-foam connections had let go so the stringers were basically "floating" other than the connection to the deck.

[Linked Image]

So I went for a similar plate to do the load bearing for the stringers and to take that load into the sub-foams, the stringers that hadn't let go were cut with a hacksaw blade cut at ~45degrees as seen.
I cut some junky old 12mm ply strips up into the shape of the deck and then zip-tied the stringers to the strips so that they were held in the correct place while the glue set on the new support plates.
Once the glue on the plates has set I'll run a strip of 50mm wide 100gsm cloth across the visible face and onto the hulls so it ties it all together
wink

I only fitted 3 small stringer supports to each hull as the support at either end is good so it just needed a bit of help in the middle......

[Linked Image]

Today I'll build up the compressed foam and reshape it to the correct deck profile instead of the banana shape I had, and maybe tomorrow if the family decided that the world isn't about to end....... I might get the foredecks on

[Linked Image]

must be doing something right.... 1103 views and no-one has told me I'm doing it all wrong

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261303
07/13/13 05:58 AM
07/13/13 05:58 AM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

Hi Allister, I can't find your number on my phone, but I'm guessing you've sourced the plywood for your decks.

Just wondered,I need to order some more, but if I'll order a sheet less if your right.

Matt.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
Mosquito 752 'Sticky Finger'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Got Wood] #261304
07/13/13 07:38 AM
07/13/13 07:38 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Farmer
.....I'm guessing you've sourced the plywood for your decks.....

for the fore deck and rear deck...... yup smile

for the main deck..... you better order 1 sheet for me please wink

txt sent with my number

cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261341
07/14/13 04:15 PM
07/14/13 04:15 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
rear deck fitted and ready for hatch hole

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261342
07/14/13 04:17 PM
07/14/13 04:17 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
starboard hull just after foredeck fitting was finished

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261343
07/14/13 04:29 PM
07/14/13 04:29 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
port hull

the junky old ply was used to press the deck down and hold it on place while I stapled the deck down.
Once its cured I'll cut the excess away and then smooth it into a neat finish......

main decks next w/end ?????? wink

[Linked Image]

foredeck and rear decks are from 3mm thick 3ply, the main deck will be 4mm thick 3 ply.
Originally it was all 4mm thick ply over the entire deck area, so the weight of the added plates I've put in is offset by the lighter timber fore and aft decks..... admittedly it isn't a huge saving but it ended up being so close to equal its not worth the argument over the vast strength gain I've achived.

The goal right from the start was to get structural strength back into the boat AND get the weight down to the minimum as best as I can .....
grin

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261389
07/16/13 07:57 AM
07/16/13 07:57 AM
South Oz
Phillip Offline
journeyman
Phillip  Offline
journeyman

South Oz
Still following this forum with interest. Where did you purchase the 3mm ply? We cannot get any in Adelaide.

Mozzie Aldebaran VI
Re: 1740 [Re: Phillip] #261415
07/16/13 04:40 PM
07/16/13 04:40 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
..... Where did you purchase the 3mm ply? We cannot get any in Adelaide.

PM sent....

When I first thought of purchasing Jurassic Karp I did some research of timber availability ..... mainly the differing types of ply and their abilities.
Marine ply, water resistant ply, normal ply, etc etc all supposedly have very different properties, asking a few questions tho came up with very different answers and prices aswell shocked
Eventually I discovered there are some differences in the glues used although not a great deal, more a case of how "watered down" the glue is to its use...... the other main factor was the quality of the timber veneers but the biggest difference came with the actual process of manufacturing, lower grades of ply are just about chucked together leaving gaps and in some cases overlays of the veneers, 'better grades' appear to be laid with more care with only the odd gap between the sheet, we've all seen small gaps in a middle layer mostly they are 1~2mm wide...... the high quality or what we call "marine grade" is basically precision laid quality veneers with no gaps or overlays and a un-watered down glue..... which obviously COSTS !!!!

After talking to 2 "old salts" (both boat builders from yesteryear) they both suggested I use the "water resistant" ply as its quality was "good enough", as it turned out one guy had a sheets left over from his last A-Class build, this was purchased for $25 grin
I took the sheet to our local cabinet maker for his opinion ( and to be ripped down to size) and he told me that this paticular ply was still available commercially should I need more of it, I did purchase a 2nd sheet as the original sheet had marks that may have caused issues later on... I can supply his details if you want to discuss it further
I can not pick any difference between the old ply and new ply that I have other than the dust that's been rubbed in slightly, the pliability or 'bending' is ever so slightly better in the newer sheet, as a result I used the older sheet for the structural work and the newer sheet went into the curved decks.
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261441
07/17/13 05:29 AM
07/17/13 05:29 AM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

The best quality okoume (Gaboon) plywood available as far as I'm concerned is from Andrew Denman Marine in Tasmania. I have several sheets here, with one going to Pirate, and will be ordering more in the next month or so. Look them up on the net.

When Pirate picks up his sheet, I'm sure there will be a very good review of this plywood. Andrew Denman will ship to the mainland, would have to contact him for freight costs to South Australia, but my last order was actually shipped free to the mainland, I had to pick up from Melbourne.

These sheets are not only excellent quality, but are also 2500mm long sheets, which as you may be aware, results in only 1 scarf being needed for Mozzies and other classes.

I have no affiliation at all with Andrew Denman Marine, but I've had marine plywood from all states on the east coast, and this stuff is the best I've seen and worked with, and its information worth sharing.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Got Wood] #261492
07/18/13 03:44 PM
07/18/13 03:44 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
.....Andrew Denman Marine in Tasmania......

http://www.denmanmarine.com.au/

wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261739
07/26/13 05:26 AM
07/26/13 05:26 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Yeah I know.......
you've been missing ya daily dose of what's Kingy up to now ? smirk

well not much ......
pulling staples out of the foredecks
and
fitting the main decks.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made a couple of minor changes before I fitted the mains, simple stuff really, tig welded nuts to plates and urthaned the plates in place .... eliminates me having to reach through the hull to do up bolts
grin

All staples are now removed from the foredecks and they have been shapped to the hull and fully sanded.
should be able to start pulling the staples from the mains this w/end ..... mutter mutter mutter ... more bloody staples !!! mad

NB:
sorry for the pic quality..... dusty shed and Iphone lense blush

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261740
07/26/13 06:01 AM
07/26/13 06:01 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
I've had a couple of messages about the tools I've been using, probably more along the lines of what "specialist tools" did I buy.....

Seeing the only 'wood working' tools I owned prior to this rebuild consisted of an axe, sledge hammer & wedges, 2 pro chainsaws and a 70ton log splitter.... none of which are really suitable for 3ply wood
cry

so here's my list ......
10" GMC bandsaw which cost me $40 & another $39-95 for a new blade ..... mutter mutter mutter

near new 12" tenon saw, cost me $10 at a yard sale
(included a couple of horse rasps aswell)

Number 4 Stanley plane, freebie from #1 son (chippy)

renovator.... borrowed but would be well worth buying ....

staple gun..... had it for years and cant recall the price.

a jigsaw.... had it but its never had a wood blade so $5 for 2 blades at the local hardware store

I've also added an electric plane & a belt sander, neither have seen much use at all so they were a bit of a waste of money.

for the resin side:

plastic cups for mixing in, supermarket, 10 for $1-95

stirring sticks ..... off cuts of ply so freebies

2" paint brushes came from the local two dollar shop, 3 brushes for $2

syringes.... may seem a tad odd but they worked perfectly for injecting resin into tight spots without spilling it everywhere, I also used them for running a bead of resin along the stringers when fitting the decks.
these came from the local Vet and he didn't charge me a cent, he also threw in a couple of 18guage "horse needles" which I used for pricking any air-bubbles I got, not that I got many and I only used 1 needle for this.

I didn't go for the special grooved rollers, I did however use a squeegee made from a piece of 6mm thick plastic, roughly 5"X3" on size and I ran the plane along both edges to get a nice smoooooth vee'd edge, this was an excellent tool for spreading the resin over the ply and then laying the glass cloth into it.....
cost me zip as I cut it out of the side of an old wheelie bin
grin
ok.... so I'm a tightass.... but what I save means I can spend elsewhere
cool

the only other thing I've got....... is a massive learning curve, its been a challenge but I've enjoyed every moment so far

watch this space
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261764
07/26/13 07:58 PM
07/26/13 07:58 PM

T
thricebitten
Unregistered
thricebitten
Unregistered
T

Not much of a handy man these days myself, so haven't had much to say, but love watching other people work wink.

Probably a bit late now, but am wondering if the technique used for holding fibreglass sheathing in place before applying the resin on large jobs might help. It's held in place with staples gunned through packing strap, then you pull the packing strap up to pull out the staples, some need pulling with pliers still, but some come out clean. Thinking about it probably only works if staples are at the right angle to the packing strap. confused

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261769
07/27/13 12:38 AM
07/27/13 12:38 AM
Derrinallum
A
Al_scorpion1101 Offline
Al_scorpion1101  Offline
A

Derrinallum
Just for the record. That's my trailer ^^ and it works a treat!

Scorpion 1101 Mosquito
Wild oats g=6 Graduate
HARD WOOD RACING
Re: 1740 [Re: Al_scorpion1101] #261773
07/27/13 06:44 AM
07/27/13 06:44 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Al_scorpion1101
Just for the record. That's my trailer ^^ and it works a treat!

[Linked Image]

Glad to hear that, the old fella said it was great to use aswell.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: ] #261774
07/27/13 07:01 AM
07/27/13 07:01 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by thricebitten
Not much of a handy man these days myself, so haven't had much to say, but love watching other people work wink.

Probably a bit late now, but am wondering if the technique used for holding fibreglass sheathing in place before applying the resin on large jobs might help. It's held in place with staples gunned through packing strap, then you pull the packing strap up to pull out the staples, some need pulling with pliers still, but some come out clean. Thinking about it probably only works if staples are at the right angle to the packing strap. confused

That marvellous thing called 'hind sight', said I should have run hay-band under each staple, would have made the process much easier and quicker too
a 'zig-zag' pattern with the hay-band would have let me run the staples in a nice straight lines as I did

The removal process was slow to start off but once I had a method then the speed came shortly after, a razor sharp chisel and a pair of wire side cutters got the job done relatively quickly. The chisel was just good enough to pry one end of the staple up slightly and then the side cutters did the rest.... I did one main deck in half the time it took the first foredeck.

Laying the cloth was an easy process, pour the resin onto the ply, smear it around with my wheelie bin squeegee into an even layer, lay the cloth down and then work it into the resin coated ply with that magic squeegee

wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261775
07/27/13 07:11 AM
07/27/13 07:11 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Todays task (aside from the family stuff) was to get one hulls deck finished....
excess cut away,
smooth the ply's edge to the hull,
trim the excess away in the front & rear beam slots,
cut the hatch hole,
cut the centreboard slot,
radius the edges of the new decks,
sand the entire deck down,

completed..... now for a reward ..... where's me rum ???
[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261784
07/27/13 05:18 PM
07/27/13 05:18 PM
Port Hedland
Beckit 1824 Offline
Beckit 1824  Offline

Port Hedland
Did you just use a router to trim off the excess?

Re: 1740 [Re: Beckit 1824] #261785
07/27/13 06:32 PM
07/27/13 06:32 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Didn't use a router for that.....

with hull on its side....

I used an offcut (approx. 12"x4"in size)of laminex I had laying around, it's ~1.5mm thick.
I laid it up against the hull and then ran the jigsaw down the deck.
The laminex is tough enough to stop the blade from hacking into the hull and it also provided a cutting depth that was easy to follow.... simply slid the laminex along as I cut with the jigsaw.
cool

Once the cut was done I ran the #4 Stanley plane along the cut until I just skimmed the original paint on the hull, then the sanding block came out to finish off the join.

sounds easy and it was to a certain extent, the jigsawing was the slowest part
shocked
I took my time with the jigsaw which is probably why it took longer than the plane work or sanding, I didn't want the blade to rip the deck to bits so steady as she goes capt'n was the order of the day

I also had the choice of 2 different blade types for the jigsaw, the traditional teeth points facing up blade and one I'd not seen before teeth facing down.......
I thought the downward facing teeth would be a better choice as they wouldn't tear at the actual deck surface, sadly all it did was to push the jigsaw back into my hand and start bouncing... blade swap to the traditional blade and away we went.

Only issues I had was the shroud mounts, with these I cut up as close as I could with the jigsaw from one direction and then cut up to it from the opposite side, I then used the 2 cuts as a guide for the tenon-saw..... there was ~50mm of deck to handsaw away at each shroud point.

the scary part of the day was the front hatch hole and centreboard cuts.....
Luckily I'd marked the hull and written down the measurements for their location, both holes were a little nerv racking as the pilot hole was drilled.... nailed it .. grin

The stupid bit.........
whilst I did spend a bit of time marking and writing down the details for the holes in the decks......
I have fully ignored the other fittings that were screwed to the decks
crazy
so now its a bit of guess work as to where they went, one cleat for the rudder system and one guide for the centre board system .....

[Linked Image]

I'll blame the rum .....
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261842
07/30/13 05:07 AM
07/30/13 05:07 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
I have fully ignored the other fittings that were screwed to the decks
crazy
so now its a bit of guess work as to where they went, one cleat for the rudder system and one guide for the centre board system .....

this looks right ...... I gather it was used as a haulup to lift the plates up, as to whether it was simitainously of individualy I'm not sure, one thing I am sure of is that the system had been deleted, the cord has long been cut on one plate and is completely missing on the other.
one less thing I need not worry about then wink

view in both pics from the tramp side (shroud mount in the background)

plate down & showing the corresponding scuff marks on the plate's head.
[Linked Image]

plate up, showing the remains of the cord ....

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261843
07/30/13 05:26 AM
07/30/13 05:26 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
This was another of those silly annoying jobs that I wanted to make much easier for myself and for future owners......

the removal of the bolts (originaly fitted without washers) would require a disjointed arm in order to get a spanner on the locknuts inside the hull..... removal would be ok-ish but re-installation was going to be hell !!!

I made a plate and tig-welded the nuts to that plate and then glued the plate to the inside of the hull....

the other issue was caused by the lack of a washer under the bolts head, this had crushed the hull somewhat and water had then entered, more tightening and more crushing resulted in minor damage to the outer hull.

step one was the plates I've mentioned already wink
(sorry but I forgot to take a pic )

step 2 was to "drill out" the effected area
(16mm drill bit turned by hand allows the 15.5mm washer to fit snugly into the rebate)
[Linked Image]

step 3 was to wrap the bolts thread and the washer in Teflon tape.... resin doesn't stick to Teflon .... that means I can remove the bolts and the nuts stay put and the bolts run freely in the resin.
added advantage is that I now have a solid resin "plug" under the washer, this will assist in spreading the load more evenly and give far better support from over-tightening....
As it turned out the bolt actually stops dead once its limit is reached
smile
the resin was added with the bolt screwed in most of the way, hence the Teflon wrapped around the washer aswell, that held the washer up out of the way while I added the resin, the bolt was then wound in until the resin was squeezed out slightly
[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261844
07/30/13 05:30 AM
07/30/13 05:30 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
finished job.....

bolts wound out easily and the Teflon has remained on the thread...
washers are level with the hull surface

[Linked Image]

yeah a silly waste of time and I'm being tooooooo fussy.....
I'll enjoy this when it comes to repainting the hull tho wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261845
07/30/13 05:36 AM
07/30/13 05:36 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by thricebitten
.... held in place with staples gunned through packing strap, then you pull the packing strap up to pull out the staples ......

..... I should have run hay-band under each staple, would have made the process much easier and quicker too
a 'zig-zag' pattern with the hay-band would have let me run the staples in a nice straight lines as I did .....

its works a treat smile smile smile smile

[Linked Image]

one or 2 sharp tugs at the hay-band resulted in ......
[Linked Image]

NB to self:
next time tie a knot in one end of the hay-band and pull the other end, this way the last staple wont let the hay-band slip straight through....
frown

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261846
07/30/13 05:56 AM
07/30/13 05:56 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Next step.......

learning how to use micro-ballons & resin as a filler

suggestions anyone

eek

2197 views and counting.....
& not a single "well you stuffed that up" .....yet
[Linked Image]
that deserves a reward..... where's the rum
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261851
07/30/13 06:50 AM
07/30/13 06:50 AM
McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
S
Simon C Offline
addict
Simon C  Offline
addict
S

McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
Make small batches, stir it a "lot" and keep mixing it in till it's like peanut butter and the pot is getting hot in your hand. Use it quickly and wipe of excess... Lot easier than sanding it later! Talc is a good, cheap filler but the end result will be harder than if you used micro balloons and more work to sand.

Cheers

Simon
Taipan AUS341
Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261866
07/30/13 05:14 PM
07/30/13 05:14 PM
Port Hedland
Beckit 1824 Offline
Beckit 1824  Offline

Port Hedland
Same as your paint preparations too. Temperature is a big killer of epoxy. There should be a curing 'range' on the tin, otherwise it won't cure properly or will dry too brittle.

Good air flow helps for a even cure too.

Luke

Re: 1740 [Re: Beckit 1824] #261878
07/31/13 04:45 AM
07/31/13 04:45 AM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

Kingy, You might have trouble getting micro-balloons and resin to fill staple holes, because they are so finer a hole. I know its not easy for us to get stuff where we are, but theres a two part epoxy filler called Epifill that takes to staple holes and pin holes left behind in fillers a lot better. You can try it though, but usually ends in swearing and not getting many filled before the epoxy goes off.

Sorry, one of those things you don't think of when asked what materials you need.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Simon C] #261879
07/31/13 05:10 AM
07/31/13 05:10 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Originally Posted by Simon C
..... keep mixing it in till it's like peanut butter and the pot is getting hot .....

worked a treat, thanks for the tip

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Got Wood] #261880
07/31/13 05:15 AM
07/31/13 05:15 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
... two part epoxy filler called Epifill ...

Thanks Matt
Tighter 10 here we come
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261883
07/31/13 06:12 AM
07/31/13 06:12 AM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

Yeah not sure they'll be of any help. Its a specialised marine filler made by International. Actually if I can find it now, I will drop mine in your mailbox? early in the morning, I'm heading off to Sydney tomorrow, via Simpson.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261941
08/01/13 08:25 AM
08/01/13 08:25 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
started work on the other hull tonight, more staples frown

I also decided on yet another modification to other stainless steel fittings, so last night was spent at the w/shop on the folder and press.....
I'll do some tig work over the w/end to finish them off.

pics to follow shortly

wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261963
08/02/13 06:32 AM
08/02/13 06:32 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
not happy with this setup......

10mm "bread board" packers...... really crazy

[Linked Image]

don't even line up with the bottom pin... mad

[Linked Image]

the top pin doesn't even make it through the arm

[Linked Image]

yuk yuk yuk.....

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261964
08/02/13 06:38 AM
08/02/13 06:38 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
this is what I put through the folder and press the other night... the replacement will get the 'tig' thrown at it over the w/end and will actually work a lot better

[Linked Image]

& yes it has to be 'shaped' yet....

grin

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #261965
08/02/13 06:44 AM
08/02/13 06:44 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
this will also pay a visit to my tig.......

[Linked Image]

once I get the twist out mad

[Linked Image]

cry

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262015
08/03/13 09:38 PM
08/03/13 09:38 PM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

It was with the best intentions that I drop that filler into you on Thursday morning, but as usual at that ungodly hour, I drove straight through and forgot about it.

Then I thought, thats not so bad I'll be coming back through Saturday night, and at 3.00am Sunday morning driving back through, you'll never guess what I did, or rather didn't do....

I'll try and find someone thats heading over in the next couple of days, unless you've already found something else.

Its been a long couple of days.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Got Wood] #262019
08/04/13 01:12 AM
08/04/13 01:12 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
not a problem mate..... not quite ready for it yet anyway wink

&

since when has Simpson had an air-field [Linked Image]

any news from the 2 "on tour" ??

cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262021
08/04/13 05:16 AM
08/04/13 05:16 AM
G
Got Wood Offline
journeyman
Got Wood  Offline
journeyman
G

I wish I flew from Simpson. I drove an 1984 Mack truck from Simpson to Gloucester and back, picking up a Leyland and a Nuffield tractors. Top Speed 90km/h up and about 85km/h home.

Left Thursday Morning got back this morning at 2.30am.

And I'm about to go to bed, and win a bit more back.

Taipan AUS329 'Got Wood'
HARDWOOD RACING TEAM
Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262022
08/04/13 06:23 AM
08/04/13 06:23 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the new bits just before the tig welding.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262023
08/04/13 06:25 AM
08/04/13 06:25 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
installed ......

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262024
08/04/13 06:27 AM
08/04/13 06:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
and no crack.....

[Linked Image]

no twist either.... smile

[Linked Image]

I started removing the decals on the boat aswell.....

that's going to take a few nights after work to remove them all
frown

Kingy

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262328
08/12/13 05:46 AM
08/12/13 05:46 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Thankfully..... 99% of the stickers have been removed, slow going and fiddly as heck
mad

So with the sticker removal fairly well over n done with I figured I better have a crack at the crack, remember that crack that started this thread..... well I haven't got back to finishing off the outer hull damage so.....

I took my time here with a razor sharp chisel and gently picked away the paint to expose what was underneath the area around the crack...

me thinks some-one has been here before.... shocked

definitely filler in there under the glass
eek
definitely parts of the glass have been cut away by over sanding

Significantly those two things are adjacent to the crack (dark line)

[Linked Image]

mmmmmmmm
frown

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262329
08/12/13 05:53 AM
08/12/13 05:53 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
close-up of the area just beneath the beam connection

NB hull is upside down in the pic wink

[Linked Image]

yup its been "fixed" before
confused

now here's the interesting bit......
I decided to do the same thing to the other hull, carefully chisel away the paint......

no glass mat at all, just some minor filling around the bean connection area...... confused
the good news -> no sign of any stress laugh

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262330
08/12/13 05:59 AM
08/12/13 05:59 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
After the exploration scraping, I took to the 2 hulls with the sander/polisher (120grit paper) and took the area around the scraped section away a bit more
I cut some 230gsm mat to suit and glassed it in place....

NB:
I didn't disturb the glass that was already in place on the damaged hull for the simple reason, it aint broke and where it is has been fixed from the inside. more on that later... wink

the hulls ready for glassing....

[Linked Image]

didn't bother with a pic of the mat glassed in but you'll get the idea in a minute
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262331
08/12/13 06:03 AM
08/12/13 06:03 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the undamaged hull....

[Linked Image]

sorry about the focus thingy...
blush

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262332
08/12/13 06:20 AM
08/12/13 06:20 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
NB:
I didn't disturb the glass that was already in place on the damaged hull for the simple reason, it aint broke and where it is has been fixed from the inside. more on that later... wink

ok.....

I've had a couple message me asking when I was going to cut the damaged section away from the outer hull....

from the discussion I gather they would have cut a 2" wide band out from the area of the crack and resin in a new undamaged band, makes sense, NOT !!!
here's why.....
at the moment I have ONE crack, its been repaired from the inside (doubler plate and stiffner plate with cloth and resin where it wasn't placed before)
The outer hull has ONE crack ....... why compound the problem by doubling the number of "joins", at the moment I have ONE join and if I took to the hull and routered out a band of any width and then glue in a band then I've effectively added a new join to the number I have now.

My other argument with this is a simple one, tell me how much of the ply is damaged either side of the crack ?????
1mm .... 3mm ..... 8mm .... 12mm ????? 25mm eek
I don't know and I physically have it in front of me, therefore, how can I justify the width of a band that would be suitable to "cut in" confused

lets for example say 3mm either side of the crack has "damaged" the ply....
so I need a band that's 6mm wide..... really .... is that worth it

[insert shaking head smiley]

grin

the crack..... it was repaired ages ago.... now it just needs something like the missus does.... bit of make-up
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262333
08/12/13 06:23 AM
08/12/13 06:23 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
bit of make-up slapped on

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262334
08/12/13 06:25 AM
08/12/13 06:25 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
After the initial sanding back with the long board...

[Linked Image]

NB:
long board - that's what I call it, basically its a car panel beaters sander, and its ideal for this type of repair, I have an air one aswell but prefer the hand one ....
google long board sander for pics if your unsure of what one looks like

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262335
08/12/13 06:26 AM
08/12/13 06:26 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
closer-up shot of the cracked hull...

can just make out the resin mat underneath wink

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262336
08/12/13 06:31 AM
08/12/13 06:31 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
undamaged hull, again the resin mat I placed on this hull is just visible

[Linked Image]

I'll add a finer layer of filler in the next few days just to fill the few dips and hollows I have left, its too cold for resin work at the moment.... 8degrees....
god I hate winter.....

now................................. where's the bloody rum grin

Kingy

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262499
08/16/13 07:41 PM
08/16/13 07:41 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
interesting little challenge at work at the moment....

customer:
put a roof on this please, and I want it to act as a cover when its in storage and as a shade when we are putin around

cry

[Linked Image]

step one make an outer ring to support the canvas roof....
all alloy welding (tig)

[Linked Image]

why do I always get these "oddball" jobs

cry

originally this old girl was an Australian lifesavers surf rescue boat, she's well past her prime and well and truly in the over-weight class
laugh
[Linked Image]

I've got ~1/2 a days work left on her before she heads off to the canvas shop for the new lid....
cool

Last edited by Pirate; 08/16/13 07:54 PM.

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262500
08/16/13 08:25 PM
08/16/13 08:25 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
and......

its that time of the year again laugh

every year I do my bit for charity, a 2 week bash through outback Australia, supporting Cystic Fibrosis.
I've done several years as a competitor and for the last few as an official for the event, I also do quite a bit of the photography for the event too
cool

My original car (General Lee 01) was sold on and I built 05, based on PeterBrocks Bathurst VH commodore.....
05 became C5 when I was promoted to an official position, the brocky commodore was sold on and I now drive a VS statesman (supercharged ofcourse wink )
older pics are here (01, 05, and C5)
http://www.thegreatescape.org.au/#

crossing the finishing line a couple of years ago at Cains wink this was a 12,000K trip for me
[Linked Image]

follow us here : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cystic-Fibrosis-Great-Escape-Car-Rally/338415656688

&

yeah its fun wink
guess why .... pmsl !!!

[Linked Image]
support vehicle being escorted by a competitor
grin
only in Australia do we by minimal amounts of beer
[Linked Image]

so.... I have to prep the car over the next 2 weeks and that means I need some shed space, Jurassic karp will go on the back burner until I get back (and recover wink )

I'll drop a couple more pics of the surf-boat later on but for now.....
better start makin room in the shed for the transformation from street car to rally car
cool

Kingy

wow.... 4190 views ...... & my 100th post
smile

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262720
08/21/13 04:27 AM
08/21/13 04:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #262721
08/21/13 04:31 AM
08/21/13 04:31 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
and the upholstery man has waved his wand ....
and
the sticker dude has stuck it too

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/BADZX/012_zps2240533d.jpg[/img]

anyone crusing along the Murray river over the next 2 weeks ..... keep an eye out...
and say gidday to Captain Pugwash for me
laugh
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #263054
08/31/13 06:17 AM
08/31/13 06:17 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the boys sent me a pic of them relaxing on the Murray River

[Linked Image]

oh well ............
A week to go and I'm out of here.....
2 weeks cruzin the east coast of Aust
laugh

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #264329
09/19/13 04:24 PM
09/19/13 04:24 PM
Derrinallum
A
Al_scorpion1101 Offline
Al_scorpion1101  Offline
A

Derrinallum
Hey pirate. You gonna be ready for the season?
Starts soon!

Scorpion 1101 Mosquito
Wild oats g=6 Graduate
HARD WOOD RACING
Re: 1740 [Re: Al_scorpion1101] #264487
09/20/13 06:33 PM
09/20/13 06:33 PM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
I'll be close but most likely to miss the first few....

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #265641
10/05/13 06:03 AM
10/05/13 06:03 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
well the rally is over......
the car has been sorted our after its run....

I've rested up sleep

and done a runner interstate for a funeral, basically I've been to every state except Western Australia in the last month, all by car & averaging ~750K's per day
crazy

so today I figured I better get back into it so just to make life interesting out came the long board and the sanding began
cry

port hull:
shows the filler I added to the warped area after it had been blocked back

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #265642
10/05/13 06:12 AM
10/05/13 06:12 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Starboard hull:
the cracked hull, it probably needs another load of filler just to bring it up to where I want it to be.
I have at this stage 'over-sanded' it a bit so I could re-lay another coat of filler over it .....
I'll lay that during the week
wink

[Linked Image]

The bare timber is the high spots, the grey is the low spots, the white is the original color, & the filler is actually a purple color although it doesn't show that well
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #265643
10/05/13 06:15 AM
10/05/13 06:15 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
starboard hull:
as you can see I've rubbed through in a few spots (timber visiable), interestingly enough the rub throughs line up with the internal frames

[Linked Image]
smile

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #265644
10/05/13 06:26 AM
10/05/13 06:26 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
and the dusty mess I now have in my shed.....

[Linked Image]

All up I'm satisfied with the end result so far, its mostly straight and with clean lines and many of the marks in the paint have been sanded out.
These marks are from being dragged over objects and have left snail trail dents over the hulls, I thought I'd have a heap of filling to do but now its blocked back there's only half a dozen odd that need a slight fill to be perfect.

tomorrow.... half a hull left to block back, and fill a few of the snail-trails....
go out to the boat club for the opening day

smile

tonight....... rest my shoulders
cry

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #265729
10/07/13 05:13 AM
10/07/13 05:13 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the "snail trails" I was talking about, most of them have been sanded out with the exception of the one in the last pic..... its DEEP !!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The odd thing about these trails is that some of them were in the original plywood prior to painting whilst
others have since happened whilst Karp was white (with pink bits - from its original name) and some have been during its grey existence.

What I cant figure out is how they happened, rocks or other "beach" objects would leave a far more jagged scratch, these are almost perfectly formed as if done by a smoothed object ..... even a close inspection of the trailer shows nothing that one can point a finger at, the other oddity is they are from the very bottom of the hulls and are also right up near the decks...... yet not one was seen on the decks prior to removal..... they also aren't limited to any particular part over the length of the hulls from the bow to the transom and on both the inner and outer part of each hull

confused

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ouch !!!! cry

[Linked Image]
this one I'll have to fill, its been sanded to the point where I'm starting to cut through the ply on either side of the trail (just out of shot), so one more job for the micro-balloon filler.
All up I think I'll add a soup-spoon of filler to each hull to smoooooooth out all of the remaining blemishes, and at the moment being under weight, that's a good thing
smile

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #266389
10/21/13 05:27 AM
10/21/13 05:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
well the filling is well and truly on its way to completion, at a guess I have about 30% remaining to fill and block back.
Slow slog but the finish is well worth it.

So while I'm waiting for filler to set...... better fill all those staple holes.
didn't realise I had used so many staples in the process of "nailing" down the new decks.....
mad

[Linked Image]

so we fill n sand the hulls and then we fill n sand the decks and then we fill n sand the hulls a bit more and then we..... run out of resin and micro-ballons

mutter mutter mutter cry

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #276900
01/07/15 05:00 AM
01/07/15 05:00 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
Finally .......

after ALL this time Karp is in full primer

laugh

[Linked Image]

37degres outside in the shade.... felt like 45 in the shed but it was a case of now or never.
I'll start blocking back tomorrow in a sultry 35 degree heat frown

106 21699

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #276901
01/07/15 05:05 AM
01/07/15 05:05 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
I have NEW beams
I have NEW tramp tracks
I have a new centre tube

Now I need a new mast or 2

&
Association Membership paid
grin

life is so less complicated when your on holidays, and you get soooooooo much more done
wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #276984
01/13/15 04:05 PM
01/13/15 04:05 PM
M
Matthew Dawson Offline
journeyman
Matthew Dawson  Offline
journeyman
M

Could those snail trails be from trapeze harness hooks?

Currently between boats
Previously …
Cobra 570
Cobra 581
Mosquito 126
Arafura Cadet 738
Re: 1740 [Re: Matthew Dawson] #276989
01/14/15 03:10 AM
01/14/15 03:10 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
interesting point.....
possibly some are but as to which ones is anyone's guess blush

most are in the bottom 1/3rd of the hulls and seem to be mainly where the beach-wheel frames would sit and are parallel to the deckline, only a 1/4 of the marks would be a vertical direction, those one's most likely could be a body trying to climb back onboard, I've tipped old Shy over many times and have not marked the hulls at all with the hook but I have marked the deck once from the hook

Luckily they didn't take too much to fill and all have been smoooooooth'd out now

Been tidying up a few other ugly's over the last few days, mainly the centreboard case slots, they are now shaped to match the boards both on the deck and keel points and the boards are now a sweet fit.

Couple more mods to do before I'm completely happy enough to say "Done" !!
grin

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #276990
01/14/15 04:55 AM
01/14/15 04:55 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
one hull done grin

and the other about to be wink

[Linked Image]

the deck slots have had the exact same treatment
smile

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277107
01/18/15 03:42 AM
01/18/15 03:42 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
The next few posts may or may not make much sense so please bear with me as I stumble through this.....
blush

While I was setting the centreboards in the slots I figured they "should be" dead square with the beams.... so I set a stringline off of the bow, laid my long level into the front beam slot and used a large square to check it all against.
cool

makes sense doesn't it wink

The 2 young boys are racing around the shed and generally annoying me to no end, anger management was being stretched to the max needless to say
mad
So I eventually tell em to stop it and either get to the house or help dad, silence at last as they go about "duplicating" what I'm doing at the bow.....
#3 son sets up a bit of hay-band over the transom and #4 gets the other level and lays it in the rear beam block, both then stand there looking like they are lining up things and stroking their not yet sprouted invisible beards
grin

As I walk back past the bow one tiny little thing catches my eye instantly...... its an that can NOT be right moment
eek

The two levels laying in the stb hull beam slots are NOWHERE near parallel ...... they aren't even close
eek eek
A quick check on the rear beam just to make sure there isn't a bit of hay-band under one end of the level or some other thing thats giving such a big twist

After much checking and re-checking I found that the stb hull was laying out.....35mm from square
eek
The port hull was laying IN.... 13mm from square

so the last ~2weeks have been spent re-setting the beam blocks and now both hulls are not only square but perpendicular with each other

grin

Part of the setup stages I went through.. the centreboard is aligned with the stringline and the beam slot is level smile
[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277108
01/18/15 03:52 AM
01/18/15 03:52 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
so the next few pics are all part of that 'squaring up'...

step one was to set the hulls up square and with the centreboards perpendicular and just as importantly so thet the centreboards centres measured both parallel and square...

That done, step 2 was to add glass filler to the beam slots and then carefully lay the beams into the slots.... the beams had grey tape stuck over them, this allowed me to remove the beams once the filler had cured

Next step was to remove the beams and pray like hell it worked
shocked

and it did
grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

this is the rear beam slot on the stb hull and shows the outer bolt hole.....
yep that's 3mm of filler in there
remember this fact, I'll get back to it later wink

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277109
01/18/15 03:59 AM
01/18/15 03:59 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
next step was to construct a jig that would let me run the router over the now filled beam slots so I could recut them ....

The filler had acted as a dumpy level and gave me a base line starting position for the router, once the jig was in place and setup correctly I could run the router across the beam slots and cut them accurately

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277110
01/18/15 04:07 AM
01/18/15 04:07 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
the jig was dead simple....

16mm lump of chipboard
cut a 60mm wide slot in the middle of it
tap in 1/4 whit threads and screw in 4 small coach bolts
use tie-down straps to hold firmly on the deck
adjust the coach bolts up/down as required and check constantly that the set-point for the router is correct

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I must have checked each move a hundred times, I figured it HAD to be right and I would only have ONE shot at this....

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277111
01/18/15 04:11 AM
01/18/15 04:11 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
ta-daaaaaa grin

It may not seem like much but its taken hours to achieve this
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[Linked Image]

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277112
01/18/15 04:27 AM
01/18/15 04:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
...yep that's 3mm of filler in there
remember this fact, I'll get back to it later wink

later.....

That gap started me thinking...... right back to the first page of this thread and the crack in the hull that started all this

confused

If..... and I'm just thinking out-loud here, if the rear beam was placed first and had a small amount of tightening done and then the front beam went in with again a small amount of tightening done..... the hulls then squared as we all do....

Now if it were me, I'd then tighten down the rear beam a tad more..... simply because its the easier one to do compared to the front beam, and I'd probably go a little more on the rear beam too if the truth be known before breaking my arm in a dozen spots to tighten the front beam

In Karps case and with that much difference in the beam slots that would have left around a +5mm gap under the front beam on the inside bolt hole

as the bolt is tightened up its pulling against the hull

The hull is resisting but is under a large amount of tension
The more I think about it, the boat rigged and sailing would have been far less stressfull on that part of the hull
add in a badly designed trailer that works at the hulls like cracking a whip

& I guess it was just a matter of when not if

thoughts ??

cool

Kingy

Re: 1740 [Re: Pirate] #277114
01/18/15 05:02 AM
01/18/15 05:02 AM
Qld
Dave M Offline
journeyman
Dave M  Offline
journeyman

Qld
Hi Kingy.

The work that you are sharing with the Mossie forum is much appreciated by many , Maybe others can refurbish some of the older boats that need some TLC.

David Madden 1724
Brisbane Valley Sailing Club
Mossies are still alive in Qld.
Re: 1740 [Re: Dave M] #277115
01/18/15 05:27 AM
01/18/15 05:27 AM
Victoria Australia
Pirate Offline OP
old hand
Pirate  Offline OP
old hand

Victoria Australia
We had 4 old mozzies racing at Derri (Deep Lake) today....

752 Sticky Fingers was the 'oldest' and Shy was the "youngest"

It was some of the best racing and closest racing I've seen in years with only 1 sec between 1st & 2nd for one of the races, one simple mistake was all it took to put right on the back foot
wink

All up, the dollar value of these old girls isn't that much even combined we still wouldn't have enough cash to buy a newish mozzie.....
but the value of the closeness of racing is pricless, I'm thrilled at the racing we had today and at the same time absolutely stuffed both physically and mentally.

having seen Sticky Fingers for the first time sailing for 20 odd years..... have to say she's an absolute bargin for what Matt has her advertised for (see the market place thread)

a lot of happy racing hours left in her and she sports some really good bits that Shy is a tad envious of
wink

Kingy

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022