Hop To
Beginner in HI #259717
05/19/13 01:14 PM
05/19/13 01:14 PM
Rotorhead-58 Offline OP
stranger
Rotorhead-58  Offline OP
stranger

Hey All, I am new to both this forum and the sport of sailing. After getting a quick tutorial and basic understanding of the principles of sailing during my honeymoon, I sailed my first Hobie called the "Wave." Very user friendly and picked the basics up very easily, 15 min. or so. Anywho, I am now moving to Hawaii as I have come on orders (ARMY) and am looking to take up sailing again.
As stated above, I am inexperienced but am a quick learner. As a beginner, and in HI, what 'cat would everyone recommend? I am looking for something I can grow into and once I feel comfortable can add components to make it fast and more agile. My budget is roughly 5K and i am 6'2, 210lbs. I am also hoping I can get my experience up by sailing with a club and just a group of people who enjoy the sport as well and would be willing to take someone under their wing for a bit. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

--Advertisement--
Re: Beginner in HI [Re: Rotorhead-58] #261836
07/30/13 01:49 AM
07/30/13 01:49 AM
Kaneohe Bay
D
Dray Offline
journeyman
Dray  Offline
journeyman
D

Kaneohe Bay
Rotorhead, check out "Kokokahi Sailing Club"
Thats pretty much the only active cat sailing club in Hawaii. We have a google group site where we surf.
I'm geussing you'll be stationed at Schofield?
Depends on what you want from sailing a cat before anyone could recommend what to look for, like if you want to just cruise around the bay and have fun or do some racing or both. Most likely a Hobie 16 would be the best for learning on but it might be small for your size if you wanted to sail with others. There is a couple of other boats for sale right now!
When do you arrive?

NACRA Dealer
NACRA Infusion "sailing"
Hobie Tiger "sold"
Hobie 20 "sold"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 424 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022