California
mmiller Offline OP
veteran
mmiller  Offline OP
veteran

California
DECEMBER 6TH, 2013

PARTNERSHIP WITH AMERICAN SAILING ASSOCIATION ANNOUNCED

The Press Release explains Hobie Cat® Company’s new worldwide partnership with the venerable ASA. Jointly, and with the support of Oracle Corporation, we will be working to put a fresh spotlight on the exciting sport of sailing and grow our sport worldwide, targeting youth and adults alike.

The eye-catching concept boat that we are displaying at the Paris Boat Show is a Hobie® Wave with black hulls and sail, red rudders, and custom Oracle and ASA graphics, along with an American Flag decal to gain attention for the new project.

[Linked Image]

The new boat will be the first in a series of special edition ASA/Hobie catamarans designed with the dual purpose of making it easy to learn as well as appealing to those youth and young adults attracted to the speed and performance of multihulls.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267548
12/06/13 08:42 PM
12/06/13 08:42 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Matt,

The ASA has promise and could be a viable alternative to US Sailing. Can you tell us more about how ASA plans to execute the following statement "ASA stands up for your rights & interests in your state capital & Washington D.C." This one item has been asked for many times from US Sailing only to be told that it was not something they could or would do. What is ASA's plan and scope regarding this item? If you don't know who can we ask?

I have no love for US Sailing and would have the same disdain for an organization with the same dysfunction. ASA holds promise and I'd like to know more, at the very least it’s a fresh start.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267550
12/07/13 07:48 AM
12/07/13 07:48 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: pgp] #267551
12/07/13 10:28 AM
12/07/13 10:28 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I thought ASA is a trade group for the maritime sailing industry.

This is a great business move that I hope will build off of the AC action. I hope it captures some free media and sparks interest out there.

US Sailing is about sailors, classes, Yacht Clubs and the administration of the sport.. ... all non profits with a complimentary mission. I don't know about your part of the world... but I have not observed any new sailors at clubs or events attributed to the AC spectacular. Our plan of hope and pray is not working!

Props to Hobie and Oracle.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267552
12/07/13 11:18 AM
12/07/13 11:18 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

USS is about USS.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: pgp] #267557
12/07/13 08:23 PM
12/07/13 08:23 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Now you are just flaunting your ignorance. The hundreds of volunteers who spend lots of their own time and money to further the sport of sailing for everyone in the country through US Sailing appreciate your support.

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267562
12/08/13 08:43 AM
12/08/13 08:43 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

USS' most profound accomplishment is alienating the vast majority of sailors.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: Mike Fahle] #267563
12/08/13 09:43 AM
12/08/13 09:43 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
Now you are just flaunting your ignorance. The hundreds of volunteers who spend lots of their own time and money to further the sport of sailing for everyone in the country through US Sailing appreciate your support.

Mike, those same volunteers will donate their time and money with or without USSailing, we don't volunteer because of USSailing. USSailng as a national organization is broken. Maybe if USSailing was taken away from the employees and given back to the volunteers it could then focus on serving the needs of it's membership instead of trying to figure out ways to extract additional reveue from its membership.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: David Ingram] #267564
12/08/13 11:32 AM
12/08/13 11:32 AM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I joined USYRU (now US Sail) back in the mid '90s to get my Level 1 Instructor's card. This was also around the time that USYRU "discovered" multihulls and wind surfers. They went after the alternative sailors with a vengeance claiming they would represent them and they would be treated as equals in the sailing community. My cheek was bulging from the hook that had been set.

I was also doing a lot a race management around this time. USYRU announced a PRO course to be held at the St. Francis YC. I signed up and went. It was a great day of instruction in the very impressive Flag Room. I sat next to an older SFYC member who, after discussing our race management backgrounds, offered me a job working on the SFYC race committee. All in all a really neat day. That is, until it was time to get our certificates.

I filled out the form listing YC affiliation as Hobie Fleet 20, San Jose. It was rejected because I didn't belong to a YC. When asked, the guy running the class stated USYRU rules say no YC, no nothing for you. Buu-bye.

It also became very apparent that USYRU was only trying to sign up the multihull and wind surfers for their dues money. They had no intention of doing anything for them other than some lip service.

When I received my membership renewal I returned it with a letter describing my experience in the class as the reason why I wouldn't be renewing. A few weeks later I got a call from USYRU's "West Coast Representative." He asked what the deal was and I repeated my story about the class. His reply was, "Oh."

"Oh?" I asked.

"I was the guy running the class." he replied.

Even after some further discussion he still wouldn't award me the certificate.

AMF USYRU (US Sail).

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: hobie1616] #267565
12/08/13 11:56 AM
12/08/13 11:56 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
We just ordered seven more Waves for our US SAILING, center, Sail Sand Point, in Seattle. That makes twelve in our program, and part of our over 100 boats. We wish ASA well, and have association with several ASA, and Yacht Clubs in the Northwest. Sharing resources, and ideas with others is the way to grow sailing programs.

US SAILING is alive and well. The Alter Cup this year was a good example. The only way to improve your relationship with US SAILING is to take part, speak up, and changes will be made.

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267570
12/08/13 03:09 PM
12/08/13 03:09 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Great job Matt (and Hobie Cat Co.)!!!

Anything that gets exposure for the sport is a good thing.

Those of you with personal agendas and axes to grind are not as helpful as you'd like to believe...

Mike

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267574
12/08/13 07:42 PM
12/08/13 07:42 PM
F
funtosail Offline
stranger
funtosail  Offline
stranger
F

I do like USSA but they did remove all references to multihulls out of their new small boat learn to sail book. They do good work but unfortunately I have seen their negative multihull biases over and over.

ASA I am not sure is much better because their attitude is if you want to be a good sailor you must sail a monohull first before a multihull... Look how their certification system is set up. No way to get certified on a cruising multihull unless you take a monohull class. However with this new venture maybe things are changing.

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267587
12/09/13 09:24 AM
12/09/13 09:24 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I am not defending the decision on the book, but after the change was made, I found out that one of the committee members is a good friend of mine. I asked about why that change was made, and was told that it was done to simplify the book. The committee made the assumption that not many people learn on cats first (at least not kids), so cat-specific instruction will be included in the next level up.

I don't agree with this logic, but I can tell you that this person would never blow sunshine, so I do believe the explanation, and know that this is one more example of them not thinking it through (or at least taking the minimal effort of contacting us and asking), but I attribute that to volunteers being human, not a worldwide conspiracy as some here would have you believe.

This is also a shining example of where we need to improve our communications with the rest of US Sailing, it's a two-way street. This is one of our goals for the coming year.

Mike

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: brucat] #267596
12/09/13 11:49 AM
12/09/13 11:49 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by brucat
...not a worldwide conspiracy

dang... I do love a conspiracy - especially a worldwide conspiracy smile

Jay

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: H17cat] #267600
12/09/13 02:58 PM
12/09/13 02:58 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Were those Waves purchased from a dealer/factory rep.? Were they obtained from a ASA affiliate?

The ASA appears to be a network of privately owned sailing/charter businesses, nationwide. This partnership provides sailing instruction and "certification" to the guy who saw videos of the AC or saw a picture and story in a magazine.

I would not be surprised if they turned over older boats to the local yacht/sailing clubs and community sailing centers when they grow tired (tax write - off under a 501c3?)

Sarasota Sailing Squadron has a number of Waves on their property for their sailing club members to enjoy, but, when it comes racing, the ten or twelve 420s that were doing spin-drills, practicing mark rounding technique for speed will stand a much better chance of climbing up the competitive ladder in any sailing craft than those buyers of that Wave in the photo.

I know some of the ASA guys that run charter and instruction centers along the Gulf Coast. I race PHRF against a couple of them. How many of those guys are going to buy Waves for kids to turn over to a youth program? Wave racing results during the past year have revealed to me that Waves ain't for kids; Optis are.

US Sailing is a very well manned forum which provides motivated, competitive sailors the finest opportunity to build their own empire that can expand for life. Board sailors and catamaran sailors have a similar cultural background; we are "off the Beach Mutants." We enjoy Burger King too much to contribute our resources and talents; therefore, the Hobie Marketing organization will stir the winds of cultural unity with the high performance F 16, F 18, N 17, A Cat sailors until we find a true solution for the future.

The Multihull Council, as we knew it prior to 2011 was already "on the chopping bock" according to JW. The only work we were getting done was sustain the Alter Cup and establish a Safety Committee which I chair. This council has now been re - classed as a committee by the US Sailing BoD. Since the tragic flaw of cultural divide grew stronger, fueled by the catsailing prejudice for the 'new' age of production trimaran owners. Trimaran sailors are still without US Sailing representation.

In 1984 Scott Steele collaborated with Major and Sue Hall to create the original US Boardsailing Team and train for Olympic competition. My son was selected due to his performances in the ranking Division II events. They traveled internationally and by 1988 brought home two Olympic medals. They were supported by the USYRU through networking with the ISAF. Since this was a new Olympic sailing genre for the USOC, they may have been awarded considerable financial support, but Major and Sue always succeeded season by season during the journey.

Major and Sue were doing what Jill and Robbie are doing for catamaran sailing in this country. They are providing quality, high level, athletic instruction for Olympic sailing. With Taylor's container now part of the team's resources, they are inspiring (love their tent at big regattas) and training young and older sailors, alike.

I took gasp at why this topic has become an issue and then thought about the post regarding the ISAF selection for 2020.

The boardsailing faction went independent from US Sailing (USYRU) many years ago and is now represented/ supported by US Sailing, simply because they organized and set up their own business, which the USYRU - USSA tansition gladly accepted.

My brother in law said there are people who talk about it one day and brag about it the next, and then there are people who make it happen. US Sailing expects us to rule ourselves; why have we never considered this? Check out windsurfing under US Sailing, and you will discover a well - manned and dedicated team of doers, and they have done a lot.

Forgive my Monday ramble, but it's rainy, my dog can't go out, and I am growing weary of all this infighting. Are we "Freeloaders" or seamen, dedicated to spawning a new frontier?

We can still protect the future of the Alter Cup as long as the Multihull Championship Committee has a voice on the Championship Committee. Other than that there has been minimal evidence of any effort to even update the old Multihull Council on our website in the two years we have been aground, much less make any room for trimarans and show we can follow by - laws. We have become puppets of our own bad habits.

Last edited by catandahalf; 12/09/13 04:23 PM.
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: catandahalf] #267603
12/09/13 04:41 PM
12/09/13 04:41 PM
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by catandahalf
Wave racing results during the past year have revealed to me that Waves ain't for kids; Optis are.

Why live in the past? Go Open Bic.

[Linked Image]

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: hobie1616] #267608
12/09/13 05:45 PM
12/09/13 05:45 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

When they broke out the Open Bic at Gulfport Yacht Club, during our annual Gulf Yachting Association meeting Randy Smyth was on hand with his son, Matthew. The January day was greeted by a fresh cold front with several OBs in the yacht club pool. Randy became a kid again, and now Matthew races his OB in the Portsmouth division out of Fort Walton Yacht Club. In a couple years he might even sail on their high school sailing team in 420s.

Coaches and yacht clubs still prefer the Opti along our coast. The USODA is another example of a culture that has earned its keep and its stay.

Sorry about your certification experience. I know a few multihull sailors from your islands, and I met Gil Budar (SIC) at a US Sailing meeting. I was proud to have the commodore of the Hawaii Yacht Racing Association at our Multihull Council meeting.

The last time I saw him was in 2010. I got a chair for him to sit in his because of his leg injury. The two us sat in the back between aisles with Darline Hobock for Jobson's acceptance speech. JW and I had dinner with Darline later that evening. That was Darline's final USSA assembly.

I understand the catamaran sailing is limited to beach clubs and Hobie Fleets with minmimal outside sponsorship. If you own a tri it is best to be based out of Kaneohe or Waikiki YCs.

Last edited by catandahalf; 12/09/13 05:47 PM.
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: mmiller] #267610
12/09/13 07:51 PM
12/09/13 07:51 PM
B
Bille Offline
Bille  Offline
B

Originally Posted by mmiller
DECEMBER 6TH, 2013

The new boat will be the first in a series of special edition ASA/Hobie catamarans designed with the dual purpose of making it easy to learn as well as appealing to those youth and young adults attracted to the speed and performance of multihulls.

Excuse me here : but if "That's" the Best you can
do to copy a AC72 on a small scale, then Ya need to
wake-up from your dream, and go Back to the
drawing-board !!!

Where's the Rigid-wing sail ?
Where's the Foils ??
Where's the anything that matches the performance
of a AC72 for a Two-man cat ???

ALL i see is Hype ; and Nothing to back it up !!!

Sounds & looks like You need money for your Porshe payments
to Me ?

Bille

Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: Bille] #267612
12/09/13 08:02 PM
12/09/13 08:02 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Bille
Originally Posted by mmiller
DECEMBER 6TH, 2013

Excuse me here : but if "That's" the Best you can
do to copy a AC72 on a small scale, then Ya need to
wake-up from your dream, and go Back to the
drawing-board !!!

Where's the Rigid-wing sail ?
Where's the Foils ??
Where's the anything that matches the performance
of a AC72 for a Two-man cat ???

ALL i see is Hype ; and Nothing to back it up !!!

Sounds & looks like You need money for your Porshe payments
to Me ?

Bille

wow...dude....it's a Hobie Wave.

I can't believe I'm starting to run out of facepalm gifs. These will have to do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl
Re: Hobie partnership w/ American Sailing Association announced [Re: Bille] #267613
12/09/13 08:05 PM
12/09/13 08:05 PM
new2sailin2 Offline
new2sailin2  Offline

Bille, yes of course you would use a ridged wing mast with foils as a learn to sail boat. They are so easy and cheap to sail any beginner would pick up sailing in an instance. laugh

It is a learn to sail boat and learn to sail course learn to walk before you are sprinting hurdler.

Any effort to increase sailing mutlihulls should be applauded.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 625 guests, and 166 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022