Re: Round the Island [Re: Jake] #262082
08/05/13 11:07 AM
08/05/13 11:07 AM
Fl
Kaos Offline
Kaos  Offline

Fl
Here is my 2 cents.

FWYC did not ruin the RTI race. They picked up a race that is very difficult to run and like most things, get no thanks in return. If the group that used to run it in Sept. where having so much success, they would still be doing it.

The race was moved because of complaints about September. Now that the new date doesn't work, no one remembers what happened back then, only that it was a great race etc. and no one ever had a problem.

That said I am not a local. I did the race way back when, run on the beach in Sept. etc. and I have also done the race several times run by FWYC. I was also one of the very few boats to do it this past year.

The problem with this race (if there is one) is that it is a long distance race. Those are very tricky to be viewed as successful and the success or failure is a simple result of the weather. Good weather, great race. Bad weather, bad race. Period.

I do not spend lots of money and time going to a race because of the food, the race committee, or any of the reasons typically pointed to as the reason a race is good or bad. That "stuff" helps, but it is not the defining element.

Long distance races are difficult period. That eliminates 75 to 80 percent of today's sailors.

So my advise to FWYC. Pick a date NOW. Spend the time leading up to it promoting the race. If I was to point at the biggest reason for decline of this race it has been due to lack of promotion.

Racers go to races to race other sailors they want to race against. You have Mike Kelly, Randy Smythe, Brian Lambert and a host of other great racers to sail against. Get the word out that you can come and race these guys and folks will show up for a great race. Promote who will be there early and often. If you get some good early commitments and let everyone know, it will be a great time.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Kaos; 08/05/13 11:10 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Round the Island [Re: Kaos] #262091
08/05/13 12:59 PM
08/05/13 12:59 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Part of the problem is that catamaran sailors are nomadic. Races like RTI probably draw sailors from much further away than the typical yacht club event. Promotion is much more important with this kind of event. I've been itching to do it again but it's hard to find information on it and then I forget until its too late to schedule it.

Jake Kohl
Re: Round the Island [Re: Jake] #262097
08/05/13 01:54 PM
08/05/13 01:54 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
I have spoken with some participants who have stated they will never return. Their reason was due to the fact that there was no one at the finish to finish/score them, even if it was the next morning. Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Round the Island [Re: P.M.] #262099
08/05/13 02:58 PM
08/05/13 02:58 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by P.M.
I have spoken with some participants who have stated they will never return. Their reason was due to the fact that there was no one at the finish to finish/score them, even if it was the next morning. Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

That would be a little frustrating.

Jake Kohl
Re: Round the Island [Re: P.M.] #262102
08/05/13 03:42 PM
08/05/13 03:42 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Everyone should be cheered just for finishing.

Especially for a distance race of this kind. But does that REQUIRE the RC and everyone else to sit there? yeowch.

From someone who's taken great pride at DFL on many a distance race, I'm happy to just submit my own time to the RC.... smile

Even using a "ringer" driver (Karl the first), I was surprised that the RC was still at Ann's beach after 11+ hours of waiting for us.

Jay

Re: Round the Island [Re: Jake] #262147
08/06/13 10:51 AM
08/06/13 10:51 AM
J
John Farris Offline
John Farris  Offline
J

All,

The planning committee for the 2014 RTI is reading all the feedback here and other sites and the input is being considered for next year's event.

Thanks,

John D. Farris

2013 Fleet Captain
Fort Walton Yacht Club
Certified Club Race Officer - 2012
~~/)~~~/)~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~/)~~~~~~~/)~~/)~~~~
Doing whatever it takes to get more people sailing
and more boats on starting lines on Choctawhatchee Bay!

Re: Round the Island [Re: Jake] #262152
08/06/13 11:04 AM
08/06/13 11:04 AM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Jake and all,

Frustration is when you've ridden a squall line in from Pensacola Bay, had the helm blown out of your hand four times by lightning, reversing course because of the wind direction change in white/black out driving rain - to be the third boat to finish (right behind John Suares' Viva 27) and discovering a lonely finish mark and no lights on the beach.

The USCG ordered the race cancelled right after the Roberts 30 finished earlier that afternoon.

This is a bona fide distance contest and genuine test of seamanship.

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20. Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing, so we are not betting on them to bolster our turnout, but we do wish to offer them turnaround time.

Shady Grady and Tommy Garner will keep the food coming all afternoon and until all the boats are accounted for. There may be a refundable deposit for entry with a strict cut off date (no last minute mind changers for this gig - it ain't no beer can race). Final entry fee will be due at check - in. If this approach gains traction, only under USCG or Tropical cancellation will the OA return the deposit. This is my idea to protect the sponsors and the OA's build up investment for food and resources.

Count on several check points manned by US Sailing race officers, and there will be safety regs and inspections.

We hope to see the GT 300 tribe and RTI veterans give us another chance.

Re: Round the Island [Re: catandahalf] #262161
08/06/13 01:33 PM
08/06/13 01:33 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by catandahalf

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20.

Those are tough weekends for me and might be for others for the same reasons. Juana's is a long weekend for several out-of-town commuters such as myself and others. Condos are rented and Juana's has become an end of summer vacation for many who bring the entire family. We usually start showing up Wednesday and Thursdays and some don't leave till Monday. Putting RTI on prior/following weekend makes it tough decision if you have to choose and Juana's will win.

Originally Posted by KevinRejda
September is probably better than June, but Philip is right about scheduling back to back, and the weekend before Juana's is Labor day weekend, probably not a good choice. RTI used to be towards the end of September, maybe that is where it should return to.

Originally Posted by jaybird1111
--Most of your attendance is from out of town and you should plan accordingly.
--Don't do this the weekend after Juana's, it will be difficult for travelers, who will be most of your attendance. Give it at least two weeks. The traditional date for RTI is indeed late September.

Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing

Simply not true.

Originally Posted by John Farris
We love the feedback and we are listening

Carry on gentlemen . . .

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Round the Island [Re: catandahalf] #268892
01/29/14 10:48 AM
01/29/14 10:48 AM
Fl
Kaos Offline
Kaos  Offline

Fl
Jake and all,

Frustration is when you've ridden a squall line in from Pensacola Bay, had the helm blown out of your hand four times by lightning, reversing course because of the wind direction change in white/black out driving rain - to be the third boat to finish (right behind John Suares' Viva 27) and discovering a lonely finish mark and no lights on the beach.

The USCG ordered the race cancelled right after the Roberts 30 finished earlier that afternoon.

This is a bona fide distance contest and genuine test of seamanship.

What I took off the table last Thursday evening at FWYC, is that the race will be on September 13 (full moon) or September 20. Very few Juanas racers will be interested in the offshore experience and night sailing, so we are not betting on them to bolster our turnout, but we do wish to offer them turnaround time.

Shady Grady and Tommy Garner will keep the food coming all afternoon and until all the boats are accounted for. There may be a refundable deposit for entry with a strict cut off date (no last minute mind changers for this gig - it ain't no beer can race). Final entry fee will be due at check - in. If this approach gains traction, only under USCG or Tropical cancellation will the OA return the deposit. This is my idea to protect the sponsors and the OA's build up investment for food and resources.

Count on several check points manned by US Sailing race officers, and there will be safety regs and inspections.

We hope to see the GT 300 tribe and RTI veterans give us another chance.

Just checking in... cool

Has any progress been made regarding a date? Is September still the target??

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022