09/23/01 07:54 AM
09/23/01 07:54 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
The Dutch association will recognise the measurements performaned by the Texel officials are valid and will perform the measurements of gate height and overall width itself.
<br>
<br>Ofcourse the USA and Aus associations must think of some other methode. Any ideas on this.
<br>
<br>I also propose to temporary validate production craft like the Stealth and Taipan.
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2699- (66 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: Measuring / checking the F16hp boats by the locals [Re: Wouter] #2688
09/24/01 01:12 PM
09/24/01 01:12 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Wouter (and All)-
<br>I think a temporary validation of the grandfathered boats (that meet their respective class rules) is appropriate and will help get things off the ground.
<br>
<br>Kirt<br><br>Kirt Simmons
<br>Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Attached Files
2717- (62 downloads)

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: Measuring / checking the F16hp boats by the locals [Re: Kirt] #2689
09/24/01 03:28 PM
09/24/01 03:28 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Kirt,
<br>
<br>You as the USA local class head are supported in your proposal by the following rules :
<br>
<br>
<br>Temporary certificates
<br>
<br>In the start up fase of the class the Formula 16 HP authority may hand out a temporary certificates, without actually measuring the craft, based on measurements made on other boats of the same type. Their certificate will become invalid when a proper measuring practice is available to the owner of the temporary certificate.
<br>
<br>The local representatives may act as the local head of the F16 HP class within the guidelines and restrictions layed down in the F16 HP class framework. The decisions made by the local
<br>representatives are binding for the time till an appeal made to a higher class authority has lead
<br>to an final decision
<br>
<br>
<br>The first is a basis to allow boats on there assurence that they are fully compliant with their own class rules.
<br>
<br>The second gives you the freedom to rule in this sense.
<br>
<br>I also wish to underline that you have the tool of "dispensation" to temporary allow in other non fully compliant boats when that aids your startup. Although it would be nice to put these boats to the vote on this forum first so that we can keep this aspect central.
<br>
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2727- (56 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
A data filled excel sheet from the Texel officials [Re: Wouter] #2690
09/25/01 02:57 AM
09/25/01 02:57 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Phill, Kirt, John,
<br>
<br>At this link
<br>
<br> http://www.texelrating.knwv.nl/download.html
<br>
<br>You can download the lastest Juni 2001 Texel data sheet containing all the measured Texel parameters for all measured classes or one off boats measured by the Texel officials. It also readily gives the rated sailarea's. This might be used by the local heads as a fundament on which to hand out temporary certificates. One side note ofcouirse is the fact that ofcourse some boats of the same type maybe be different from continent to continent. Example, Genakers in EU and US. US nearly alsways flies bigger genakers and the I-17 and US i-17R . Apart from this the US and EU cat scene are rather the same.
<br>
<br>Hope this helps in your startups.
<br>
<br>Personally I'm about to decide that every F16HP wannabee needs to get a Texel measurement (except class legal Taipan 4.9's) as step one to get a F16HP certificate in NL.
<br>
<br>The second step will be that I measure the mast height, gate height, pole length and overall width myself at the first change I get.
<br>
<br>Between step one and two I will hand out temporary certificates. After step two I will change this temporary certificate into a permanent one.
<br>
<br>This will give Texel multiple data points and allow them to establish a class rating over time and it garantees to most impartial measurement that will be readily accept by other classes in the NL.
<br>
<br>Like Kirt proposed; I'm contemplating to hand out a temporary certificates to class legal Taipan 4.9'swithout measuring them. Only Genaker gear can be non compliant, but that is easily checked at a later time and a setup sold by AHPC is compliant anyway.
<br>
<br>What do you guys think of this setup ?
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2746- (64 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands
Re: A data filled excel sheet from the Texel officials [Re: Wouter] #2691
09/25/01 06:52 PM
09/25/01 06:52 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Wouter-
<br>Sounds good to me, but should we not also consider giving other of the "grandfathered" boats a temporary certificate if they are class legal (and in your neck of the woods, already have a Texel number for their class)- For instance the Stealth, Isotope and BIM 16?
<br>I don't want it to look like we are "catering" to the Taipans or that they in some way are "better" or inherently more compliant with the rule.
<br>Just my thoughts. Otherwise I think these are excellent ideas and I am glad the rules already exist to let us hand out temporary certificates.
<br>
<br>Kirt<br><br>Kirt Simmons
<br>Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Attached Files
2772- (62 downloads)

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: A data filled excel sheet from the Texel officials [Re: Kirt] #2692
09/26/01 05:34 AM
09/26/01 05:34 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Hello Kirt,
<br>
<br>>>Sounds good to me, but should we not also consider giving other of the "grandfathered" boats a temporary certificate if they are class legal (and in your neck of the woods, already have a Texel number for their class)- For instance the
<br>>> Stealth, Isotope and BIM 16?
<br>
<br>
<br>Ohh ofcourse, actually the problem with the other boats you mention now is that I don't have the Bim F16 class rules yet and the Texel measurement differs somewhat from the BIM webpage. The Stealth will be modified so there is no basis to hand out certifiicates for this just yet. The old style Stealths are ofcourse grandfathered in but need to be checked anyway for the Texel measure could well be a one-off (not certain at this time). The Isotope has never been measured by texel as is unknown in EU as far as I know. Still your point is true when a boat belongs to a dependable class. I used the Taipan as an example for I'm sure that this class is tighly controlled and checked.
<br>
<br>
<br>>I don't want it to look like we are "catering" to the Taipans or that they in some way are "better" or inherently more
<br>> compliant with the rule.
<br>
<br>Good point, So I underline here that Taipan is the first to fall under this temporary certificate rule in NL and that others WILL follow once I've determined the trustworthyness of the class rules or class measurements. And indeed, Stealth and BIM are now on the top of the list.
<br>
<br>>>Just my thoughts. Otherwise I think these are excellent ideas and I am glad the rules already exist to let us hand out
<br>>>temporary certificates.
<br>
<br>
<br>Yes, well I know many just glanced over the rules a few times but alot of thought went into them and aspects like this were incorporated in the rules just for situations like this. The rules are not just a list of individual rules, the rules work as a one coherent set of regulations. It is therefor not always possible to open up one rule without krippling the bigger setup. But this is a whole discussion on its own.
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2777- (60 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 539 guests, and 120 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022