09/23/01 01:54 PM
09/23/01 01:54 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Pictures of true F16HP wanted for article in catsailors magazine.
<br>
<br>Guys I would like to collect pictures of F16HP craft to be used in the catsailors magazine article that Rick has offered us. I have some already but I would like to have more and especially action graphs if you catch my drift.
<br>
<br>I will try to make a few myself at Ronde Tiengemeente next weekend if Geert is still competing with his Taipan 4.9 genaker. But I can never receive to many pictures for the homepage can use a few new pictures too.
<br>
<br>Please don't mail then to my account for I have a 2 MB mail limit and only a few pictures are enough to swamp it. Please use free webspace at for example Geocities and maybe this forum by showing the picture by using the following line
<br>
<br>[img]url[/img]
<br>
<br>Where you should substitude url with the webadres to your picture.
<br>
<br>Example
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Jon H. can I use your picture of the taipan 217 ?
<br>
<br>Many thank in advance,
<br>
<br>Wouter
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
2702- (75 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
--Advertisement--
Re: Pictures of true F16HP wanted for article in ... [Re: Wouter] #2694
09/23/01 09:18 PM
09/23/01 09:18 PM
Florida
Jon Hamlet Offline
Jon Hamlet  Offline

Florida
Of course you may use the pictures, Wouter!
<br>
<br>I apologize for not responding to your earlier request. I remember receiving it while I was in Colorado and I don't think I copied that Email to my Laptop when I returned to Florida.
<br>
<br>I'm repairing my Taipan just now. Tropical Storm Gabrielle came ashore here with 72 mph winds (3 short of a Hurricane Category 1) but I think the gusts were even more since it blew the mast right off my Taipan. The wind snapped the forestay of my mast like it was string. I had the Taipan anchored tightly with earth anchors on the beach with foam cushions and there was no other damage. That's the second time in some 100 years that we've had a surprise "Tropical Storm" come ashore here that left such damage. I also lost all of my large amateur radio antennas and portions of my deck. It shredded all the canvas on my cruiser and parts of my dock on the Intracoastal behind the house.
<br>
<br>The winds are coming back steady now and I'll be back sailing almost daily soon now. I plan on doing a more studied analysis of the mast rake/spinnaker set using my Speedmate II and the GPS. We are blessed with fairly steady onshore winds beginning in October so the points of sail should be easy to compare.
<br>
<br>I'll take more pictures as well. I'm interested in the resuilts others are finding with the snuffer/spinnaker setup.<br><br>

Attached Files
2705- (80 downloads)
Re: Pictures of true F16HP wanted for article in ... [Re: Jon Hamlet] #2695
09/24/01 05:31 AM
09/24/01 05:31 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe
Sorry to hear about the damage to your stuff.
<br>
<br>>> I plan on doing a more studied analysis of the mast rake/spinnaker set using my Speedmate II and the GPS. We are blessed with fairly steady onshore winds beginning in October so the points of sail should be easy to compare.
<br>
<br>Ohh, this sounds great. And very timely for I will have to decide wether to go for a full Taipan 4.9 mainsail or a recut one in the near future. And as you know all depends on the expected mast rake.
<br>
<br>As you know I'm especially interested in upwind and down VMG's and the difference between Genaker downwind VMG and Non-Genaker downwind VMG. Data like this could be VERY important in establizing a n effective and fair Weigh Equalization system. Remember the controversy around my claim that a bigger jib has more impact than a bigger genaker ? As you know I already have some raw data from the hobie nationals and Greece, but the data needs to become more accurate and relative to F16HP's.
<br>
<br>About other experiences with the genaker setups; I can only comment for myself and I found the Hobie genaker bag to be the best of three different bags I ever used. I speeded up my setting and retrieving of the genaker. I will try to make a picture of it and place it on the web.
<br>
<br>Further more I handled my 19 sq.mtr. genaker on my P18 while solo sailing and on a hobie dragoon ( 10 - 12 sq.mtr.) which I sailed solo in Greece and found that setting a genaker solo from the bag is not a problem. I even found it to be faster than the snuffer systems on skiffs and monohulls which I also sailed alot this season. I had absolutely no problems on the dragoon when retieving the genaker and it took me about 4 seconds to do it in. On my P18 I had more difficulty, although it was doable and it was the first time I tried it completely solo. I put it down to practice. This is for solo sailing, where I feel that a shooter like system (marstrom snail) is probably the best option. For crew sailing I think that the manual system will prove to be unbeatable in the end. Some things have to change on board between skipper and crew tasks but once that has been worked out it allows for very fast sets and retrievals. I now have a Hobie genaker bag on my boat. However my season is over and there will not be any more real life experiences from me for the next 6 months.
<br>
<br>Just the other day, when I sailed the 49-er look alike RS 800 , I withness a Hobie FX-one sailor with genaker who did everything manual (no snuffer) in 4 beaufort wind ( max 15 knots) without any problems. My colleque said that it didn't furl so it must have been a genaker and not a hooter or something.
<br>
<br>Ohh john, I know Phill (as well as myself) are very interested in the difference between upwind VMG with the snuffer filled with a genaker and the VMG upwind with just the pole (No snuffer bag and genaker). So if you have the change ?
<br>
<br>I know alot of requests but I'm certain that these experiments will answer a few question marks and help the development of the F16HP weight equalization system
<br>
<br>Wouter<br><br>

Attached Files
2708- (80 downloads)

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 652 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022