07/24/16 08:52 AM
Hernando, Florida
M
Mlcreek Offline
Mlcreek  Offline
M

Hernando, Florida
Jay,

Read my post. You can order it and your other trailer stuff at Sturdy Built Trailers. http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Boeshie...ray_p_1136.html

Forrest
I-20
USA 645

" There ain't enough rum in the drum!"
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Jake] #283166
07/24/16 03:13 PM
07/24/16 03:13 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by samc99us
T-9 may work.

Sam is talking about Boeshield T-9 which is probably the best product available to protect raw metal surfaces (It's THE product to protect cast iron tool surfaces). It dries to a tacky film and you may give it a whirl - that whole suspension environment, though, is just brutal on any coating or finish you can put on it.

Same stuff as LPS-3 fyi.

I think it'll help, but it's not a solution unless your hosting out down on the regular.

I'm boatless.
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Karl_Brogger] #283171
07/25/16 12:07 PM
07/25/16 12:07 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Originally Posted by samc99us
T-9 may work.

Sam is talking about Boeshield T-9 which is probably the best product available to protect raw metal surfaces (It's THE product to protect cast iron tool surfaces). It dries to a tacky film and you may give it a whirl - that whole suspension environment, though, is just brutal on any coating or finish you can put on it.

Same stuff as LPS-3 fyi.

I think it'll help, but it's not a solution unless your hosting out down on the regular.

Good to know...but none of it is cheap. Was hoping the LPS-3 was going to be cheaper than the T-9. frown

Jake Kohl
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283174
07/25/16 10:55 PM
07/25/16 10:55 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Should be easier to find though. A good auto parts store should have it, the local Ace Hardware does here as well.

Don't put that stuff on your tools unless you're planning on storing them long term. Use straight paraffin wax, and Bostik glide coat. Keep the AC on and your grubby hands off and it'll be fine. Why the hobbyists on the forums rave about that **** is beyond me.

Last edited by Karl_Brogger; 07/25/16 10:56 PM.

I'm boatless.
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Karl_Brogger] #283176
07/26/16 10:14 AM
07/26/16 10:14 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Should be easier to find though. A good auto parts store should have it, the local Ace Hardware does here as well.

Don't put that stuff on your tools unless you're planning on storing them long term. Use straight paraffin wax, and Bostik glide coat. Keep the AC on and your grubby hands off and it'll be fine. Why the hobbyists on the forums rave about that **** is beyond me.

Agreed - That stuff is definitely too tacky for tool surface use. I usually apply it after a project but I clean it with acetone and buff on a standard furniture wax when I'm getting ready to make something serious. I haven't heard of Bostik glide coat and will check it out. The AC stays set at about 82/84 degrees this time of year so it comes on a few times a day to just knock the humidity down a little in the garage.

Jake Kohl
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283180
07/26/16 06:54 PM
07/26/16 06:54 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Reading this I am wondering if the salt water in FL is different than the salt water in CA....

I've had a steel non galvanized trailer last me many years, with many miles, and many a salt water dunking.... But, I will say when I got the trailer home, it did get pressure washed and rinsed with soap and hot water....

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 07/26/16 06:55 PM.
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Jake] #283181
07/26/16 10:16 PM
07/26/16 10:16 PM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
The gulf is way salty-er I think. Or at least the handful of times I've been in the Pacific, I thought where the f did the salt go?

Agreed - That stuff is definitely too tacky for tool surface use. I usually apply it after a project but I clean it with acetone and buff on a standard furniture wax when I'm getting ready to make something serious. I haven't heard of Bostik glide coat and will check it out. The AC stays set at about 82/84 degrees this time of year so it comes on a few times a day to just knock the humidity down a little in the garage.

It's a Teflon spray basically. A little hint if you do get a can, store it upside down. For some reason the diaphragm at the top of the can where the nozzle goes in will crap out if stored upright.

Zep used to have a product called Zepalon that kicked butt. I don't have access to it any longer. But then I look and I can get it on Amazon. Thanks Google!

I'm boatless.
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Ventucky Red] #283182
07/27/16 08:38 AM
07/27/16 08:38 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Ventucky Red
Reading this I am wondering if the salt water in FL is different than the salt water in CA....

I've had a steel non galvanized trailer last me many years, with many miles, and many a salt water dunking.... But, I will say when I got the trailer home, it did get pressure washed and rinsed with soap and hot water....

That is an interesting point... I would suspect the salinity varies a bit between ocean and Gulf. Perhaps the biggest reason would be the ambient temperature of both air and sea? Higher temps would accellerate the attack on the spring steel?

Checking the mattress for enough dollars to switch to a torsion bar...

Jay

Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Ventucky Red] #283185
07/27/16 01:08 PM
07/27/16 01:08 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina

I'll be damned. I guess it makes sense but I never even considered that before.

[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283186
07/27/16 01:25 PM
07/27/16 01:25 PM
Solomon's Island, MD
S
samc99us Offline
old hand
samc99us  Offline
old hand
S

Solomon's Island, MD
I guess the east coast is saltier than the west, that might explain a few things over the years...

Jake is right that any lube doesn't do much good in a leaf spring. I can also tell you that my leaf springs on my Trailex, which I replaced a few years ago, started rusting a few months after I installed them, and I coated them with WD-40 and didn't move the trailer, and they were never in saltwater or any water other than rain. Clearly I didn't get the galvanized variety (I think I ordered direct from Trailex), anyway, oh well.

Scorpion F18
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283187
07/27/16 02:35 PM
07/27/16 02:35 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Don't use Boesheild T-9 on anything that will be exposed to dirt. I see to use it to lube my traveler (before McLube came along), based on rave reviews by my dealer and a fellow sailor. All it did was trap sand/dirt/road grime, which the traveler ground into a fine paste, and made the traveler stickier than if I'd done nothing...

WD-40 is similar, in my experience. I ruined an electric train engine when I was a kid by spraying that on the wheels and motor.

Mike

Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: brucat] #283188
07/27/16 05:41 PM
07/27/16 05:41 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by brucat
Don't use Boesheild T-9 on anything that will be exposed to dirt. I see to use it to lube my traveler (before McLube came along), based on rave reviews by my dealer and a fellow sailor. All it did was trap sand/dirt/road grime, which the traveler ground into a fine paste, and made the traveler stickier than if I'd done nothing...

WD-40 is similar, in my experience. I ruined an electric train engine when I was a kid by spraying that on the wheels and motor.

Mike

From my experience I wouldn't use any of this stuff... for that very fact... it is a sludge magnet.

I had always made it a point to hose off my trailer after sailing as much as the boat... having a pressure washer with the hose to the hot water heater helped Understandably, you won't keep the rust from coming, but maybe retard it some...

I get the fact the being exposed to heat and humidity plays a roll here, but... I think being exposed to the salt air is worse... where my boat a trailer are is right on the ocean..

Last edited by Ventucky Red; 07/27/16 05:49 PM.
Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: Ventucky Red] #283190
07/29/16 07:55 AM
07/29/16 07:55 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I think being exposed to the salt air is worse... where my boat a trailer are is right on the ocean..

crap... that too. I guess torsion axle it is then.... I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the torsion axle on (single axle) without upsetting the balance/ alignment?

probably something best left to a trailer service business?

Jay

Re: trailer leaf spring corrosion [Re: waterbug_wpb] #283192
07/29/16 09:35 AM
07/29/16 09:35 AM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
I think being exposed to the salt air is worse... where my boat a trailer are is right on the ocean..

crap... that too. I guess torsion axle it is then.... I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the torsion axle on (single axle) without upsetting the balance/ alignment?

probably something best left to a trailer service business?

I was looking at this on eTrailer last night... does not seem like it is that involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDv4o83T4cg

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 420 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022