03/21/17 08:23 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by bacho

My club does $35 regattas. They do a heck of a job at it as well, so I am spoiled but I will also admit that I am pretty cheap.

Don't feel bad, I am totally cheap (I don't buy the teensy line). But at least you recognize what a bargain you're getting.

Perhaps we have all developed some sense of entitlement by thinking all these great deals for sailing entertainment are the norm rather than the exception.

I am lucky I don't own a big mono where in addition to regatta fees, I have to house/feed a large crew.

Jay

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Regatta Shaming [Re: bacho] #286594
03/22/17 05:30 AM
03/22/17 05:30 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Originally Posted by bacho
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
Magic bullet for that.

Explain that joe sailor over there flapping his c�ck holster is indeed an assh�le, and that those working the event should make his as uninviting as possible.

The volunteers understand, and get to enjoy mentally plotting their pedestrian revenge.

I've worked plenty of events and organised a few. Some people have magically ascended to grand master levels of douchedom, and that ain't never getting fixed.

Kick the assholes from the group, better for everyone else.

About a year ago I volunteered at a regatta for a mono hull group. I tried really hard to pay as much attention as possible and do my job as well as I could. I also went out of my way to take many photos, because its something we all enjoy to see atterwards but often do not get the opportunity. After a long day made longer due to some weather issues, several boats announced displeasure to me personally. Even going so far to say we had ruined the entire day/weekend for them. The complaints far outweighed any appreciation expressed by individuals. I got over it pretty fast, but coming on a year later I have been asked to help again. Screw that, I have a lot better things to do on a nice spring weekend. I am sure most people would say the same thing.

I always sail past the finish boat and thank them at the end, try to chat with volunteers, buy my meals and beer at the club. I volunteered a week to my club to help with hosting a 16 ft cat nationals, drove a rescue boat took stacks of photos etc but I would never volunteer for anything involving that mob of whineing sailors again The trick is to make the most of the event

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022