South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
How many of you listened to the final presser? When Ashby was talking about the future, and being happy to be at this point in history, I was wondering if I might have been reading into that too much (as a sign that we might be heading back in the other direction). Grant Dalton made some very telling points about the direction this is likely to head (safety on the open ocean, etc.), and it looks like I probably wasn't being paranoid.

Did anyone else watch this and come away with similar observations?

Also, Dalton started talking about connecting the AC to other major events (such as the VOR). Does anyone have any clue how they intend to pull that off?

Mike

I have not viewed that presser yet but intend to do so soon.

Dalton tying into other major events like the VOR? I suspect that would be to have a sailing 'palooza with the VOR boats arriving around the time that an AC qualifier or world-series similar event would be taking place during their scheduled lay-days and before and/or during their re-launching. Pack it up, ship it to the next venue, and repeat.
Gives more for people to see and more exposure for sponsors. That said, it's hard enough for these guys to come to terms with regards to venue and all of the intimate details - would be tricky to pull off with organizers of the townships AND another event but not impossible.

Jake Kohl
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287555
06/28/17 03:34 PM
06/28/17 03:34 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Hard to say what he's thinking, but if he's envisioning some sort of Grand Prix, that could be interesting.

Mike

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: brucat] #287556
06/28/17 04:02 PM
06/28/17 04:02 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Hard to say what he's thinking, but if he's envisioning some sort of Grand Prix, that could be interesting.

Mike

Isn't that exactly what the ACWS was?

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287557
06/28/17 05:33 PM
06/28/17 05:33 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

No, my goofball thinking means your team enters each of the events. I'm sure it will never work, it would be like combining F1, Indy Car and NASCAR racing into​ one overall series.

Mike

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287558
06/29/17 10:44 AM
06/29/17 10:44 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
but would they get some sort of "group discount" on the event venues?

I would imagine that space for all the team bases would be at a premium, but imagine the overwhelming presence to the locality if it were indeed "sailapalooza" Like Newport? Plymouth? Someplace windy in China? Of course France & AUS, since they're sailing fanatics

Throw in a boat show and holy crap think of the attendance....

Jay

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: waterbug_wpb] #287560
06/29/17 11:43 AM
06/29/17 11:43 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
but would they get some sort of "group discount" on the event venues?

I would imagine that space for all the team bases would be at a premium, but imagine the overwhelming presence to the locality if it were indeed "sailapalooza" Like Newport? Plymouth? Someplace windy in China? Of course France & AUS, since they're sailing fanatics

Throw in a boat show and holy crap think of the attendance....

Generally, the venue pays the event to be there either through direct monies and/or construction and/or waved permits/fees, security, staffing, etc.

Jake Kohl
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Jake] #287561
06/29/17 12:08 PM
06/29/17 12:08 PM
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
Mn3Again  Offline
M

fl
Originally Posted by Jake
Generally, the venue pays the event to be there either through direct monies and/or construction and/or waved permits/fees, security, staffing, etc.

SA suggested bermuda got the shaft: (as did San Fran if i recall)

loser vuitton

All sporting competitions have losers, but the America’s Cup has more than most. For the Bermuda America’s Cup, we’re not sure yet just who the biggest loser is, and while it will take some time (and some numbers) to figure out just whose butt is bleeding the most, we’ve got our ideas: Is it Russell Coutts, who lost his first-ever America’s Cup after winning 6 of them as either CEO or Skipper, while picking up a reputation as one of the worst event administrators in the history of the Cup?

Or perhaps it’s Bermuda, where a funereal pall has descended on an island that was promised so much by Russel and his minions and is now left with nothing but a huge bill, terrible TV ratings, a giant new events center in a country that doesn’t have enough inhabitants to attract big events, and a July election that will likely see the AC-friendly government out on its butt. Is it Franck Cammas, who has all but promised that his sponsors will not spend the money to go to New Zealand? Or is it Jimmy Spithill, who was not just beaten around the course, but beaten at his own game – the starting box, and the press conference – by a kid who was sailing on the Youth team just four years ago?

Actually, the biggest loser might just be the folks at Louis Vuitton, and as you can see in this photo from the final awards ceremony, the new holders of America’s Cup don’t like their overpriced bags at all. That’s tens of thousands of dollars of ugly-butt Louis Vuitton “prize” duffels being launched into the crowd by ETNZ seconds after receiving them from some functionary, and with Prada now the Challenger of Record, it’s safe to say that the next America’s Cup will be the first in a very long time where Louis Vuitton ain’t on the event sponsor list, the guest list, or any other list. Good news for tennis, golf, and motor racing though – give LV a call folks – they’ll have some spare sponsorship money laying around now!

Photo courtesy of Richard Hodder/Emirates Team New Zealand

Mn3
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Mn3Again] #287562
06/29/17 12:52 PM
06/29/17 12:52 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Well..that IS Sailing Anarchy. They tend to hate any hint of success that's not their own or that they can't tag along with. The America's Cup was snubbing them for a while (not giving them a press pass) so they've had a negative bend on all things America's Cup for a while. Clean was pretty brutal to Spithill the couple of questions I heard him ask. I would take their reporting with a grain of salt and parse out the facts for myself. Who knows if chucking the LV bag into the crowd was meant to be offensive? American Football players chuck their gear into the crowd at the end of games all the time.

As was the case with San Francisco, there were two distinct camps (and still are) - those who thought the event brought a boon of income to the area (who have some numbers to prove it) and those who thought the event cost the area dealer (who also have some numbers to prove it). Bermuda is not a huge place and it's EXPENSIVE to live there. I ship products there quite often and the shipping costs for a small box are rarely less than $80 and usually around $180. Bermuda did spend money for the event but I honestly think they got even more exposure than San Francisco did. There wasn't a hotel room to be found on the Island leading up to and during the event. They have put a pin on the map for Bermuda Sailing and I would expect that to turn into more events and more stops for races.

Jake Kohl
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Jake] #287563
06/29/17 02:03 PM
06/29/17 02:03 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Well..that IS Sailing Anarchy. They tend to hate any hint of success that's not their own or that they can't tag along with. The America's Cup was snubbing them for a while (not giving them a press pass) so they've had a negative bend on all things America's Cup for a while. Clean was pretty brutal to Spithill the couple of questions I heard him ask. I would take their reporting with a grain of salt and parse out the facts for myself. Who knows if chucking the LV bag into the crowd was meant to be offensive? American Football players chuck their gear into the crowd at the end of games all the time.

As was the case with San Francisco, there were two distinct camps (and still are) - those who thought the event brought a boon of income to the area (who have some numbers to prove it) and those who thought the event cost the area dealer (who also have some numbers to prove it). Bermuda is not a huge place and it's EXPENSIVE to live there. I ship products there quite often and the shipping costs for a small box are rarely less than $80 and usually around $180. Bermuda did spend money for the event but I honestly think they got even more exposure than San Francisco did. There wasn't a hotel room to be found on the Island leading up to and during the event. They have put a pin on the map for Bermuda Sailing and I would expect that to turn into more events and more stops for races.

Ditto what Jake says about SA.

I know what my economic input into the SF community was due to the 2013 cup, and it wasn't insignificant. My wife wanted to go to Bermuda dearly for the cup finals but we couldn't find a hotel room for less than $1000/night and truth be told, the spectator area they had setup was not very impressive.

She's already giddy about going to New Zealand for the next cup. I'm groaning thinking about the blood clots in my legs on the flight over there.

Last edited by ThunderMuffin; 06/29/17 02:04 PM.
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287565
06/29/17 03:30 PM
06/29/17 03:30 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
"Well it is Sailing Anarchy"

Once again... the core question... Does Clean add anything to the conversation?

I like heterodox points of view.... so I like reading his perspective... He can ask some good questions.

Should he and SA been denied a press pass
No way.... I find it hard to believe that oracle would have denied press credentials. but who knows.

Now... should any cash have gone SA's way to cover the event.... No... That is the thing about independent journalism.... you have to pay your own way.

(That is not the same as denying him credentials.)

Should he been on a press boat on the water? Not his style... but he and SA should have the same opportunity as any other organization.

I often think Clean and SA want to be press agents with great stipends... and not reporters for some e publication. nice work if you can get it.... but it's very hard to imagine Clean fitting into the corporate marketing program tho.

Interesting to contrast Clean's role with Rick White's role covering the Worrell/Tybee distance races. I have NO IDEA what the financing was... so... You you read them for entertainment purposes

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: ThunderMuffin] #287567
06/29/17 04:45 PM
06/29/17 04:45 PM
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
Mn3Again  Offline
M

fl
Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin

She's already giddy about going to New Zealand for the next cup. I'm groaning thinking about the blood clots in my legs on the flight over there.

LOL
then stretch out and take a boat

Mn3
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Jake] #287568
06/29/17 04:46 PM
06/29/17 04:46 PM
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
Mn3Again  Offline
M

fl
Well..that IS Sailing Anarchy.

yup - just thought somewhere in there was at least a thread of perspective

Mn3
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: ThunderMuffin] #287570
06/29/17 07:19 PM
06/29/17 07:19 PM
Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
Mike Fahle Offline
addict
Mike Fahle  Offline
addict

Toledo, Ohio (western end of ...
I was there at Bermuda for the quarterfinal races and I was in San Fran for the same races. They were both great experiences and the set-up in Bermuda was really cool even w/o being in the stands. We could watch the whole pre-race and race on two very large screens and then run about 100' over to the sea wall to watch the finish directly very nearby. I went via cruise ship and we watched the last 1/4 final race from the stern of the boat on deck 10 - a great view! For just $2K per person for 7 nights with room and board (very good board) it was a great way to visit Bermuda and watch the races.
In San Fran you could see more parts of the course from shore but not during one race - it stretched miles along the shore so you had to scout out a viewing area and stay with it during any given race or you would miss too much. We tried three different places (AC Village, the yacht club (which had bleachers out front at the first turning mark-very exciting) and a couple places mid course along the shore. The village was larger but no more useful to the spectators than in Bermuda. All of the businesses we visited were VERY happy with the AC. They had several options for the land made for the AC so I don't know how they will lose any money over that part. The press the island got had to be worth millions as well. The biggest surprise was the slap-your-face good rum cake we brought home!

Last edited by Mike Fahle; 06/29/17 07:21 PM.
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Mark Schneider] #287571
06/30/17 06:11 AM
06/30/17 06:11 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I agree that SA should not be denied a press pass. They are press. It was the ACM, technically, not Oracle that was holding back on them. I'm just stating that they often offer a different bend on the stories that may or may not be grounded in firm reality. Sometimes they're more grounded than others, sometimes they're really out there just to stir the pot, and other times they can be teetering on the edge of irresponsible. As with any news, keep an eye out for the actual facts before accepting the interpretation as reality.

Jake Kohl
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: Mike Fahle] #287573
06/30/17 09:04 AM
06/30/17 09:04 AM
fl
M
Mn3Again Offline
Mn3Again  Offline
M

fl
I had a friend from middle school who was in bermuda on a cruise ship a week or so before the LV series started - he is not into sailing at all but said it was insanely imazing to see these boats upclose and the "flying through the air" was wild.

I was on a wedding cruise there (with a few dozen of my friends) - it was great in bermuda (hadn't been there since i was 10 or so) and i am sure it was a fantastic venue

Glad you got to enjoy it

Originally Posted by Mike Fahle
I was there at Bermuda for the quarterfinal races and I was in San Fran for the same races. They were both great experiences and the set-up in Bermuda was really cool even w/o being in the stands. We could watch the whole pre-race and race on two very large screens and then run about 100' over to the sea wall to watch the finish directly very nearby. I went via cruise ship and we watched the last 1/4 final race from the stern of the boat on deck 10 - a great view! For just $2K per person for 7 nights with room and board (very good board) it was a great way to visit Bermuda and watch the races.
In San Fran you could see more parts of the course from shore but not during one race - it stretched miles along the shore so you had to scout out a viewing area and stay with it during any given race or you would miss too much. We tried three different places (AC Village, the yacht club (which had bleachers out front at the first turning mark-very exciting) and a couple places mid course along the shore. The village was larger but no more useful to the spectators than in Bermuda. All of the businesses we visited were VERY happy with the AC. They had several options for the land made for the AC so I don't know how they will lose any money over that part. The press the island got had to be worth millions as well. The biggest surprise was the slap-your-face good rum cake we brought home!

Mn3
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287574
06/30/17 09:21 AM
06/30/17 09:21 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I suspect the real money (spent and possibly earned) would be with the multimedia coverage.. They did a pretty good job with the video (minus the commentary) and I'd pay a few bucks to watch all the next iteration of the AC if it's on high-performance multis

I think they do something of this sort (or tried) with NASCAR races, where you could pay a small fee and be able to include in-car transmissions (radio and telemetry) along with the streaming video..

With as much real time data as they were collecting, I'd love to be able to switch on those attributes while watching (like the VMG and AWA numbers)

Jay

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: waterbug_wpb] #287577
06/30/17 01:49 PM
06/30/17 01:49 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I suspect the real money (spent and possibly earned) would be with the multimedia coverage.. They did a pretty good job with the video (minus the commentary) and I'd pay a few bucks to watch all the next iteration of the AC if it's on high-performance multis

I think they do something of this sort (or tried) with NASCAR races, where you could pay a small fee and be able to include in-car transmissions (radio and telemetry) along with the streaming video..

With as much real time data as they were collecting, I'd love to be able to switch on those attributes while watching (like the VMG and AWA numbers)

Jay, you could dial into either of two cameras onboard each boat complete with dedicated on-boat audio to watch any race through the America's Cup phone app...no fee.

Jake Kohl
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287584
07/03/17 08:04 AM
07/03/17 08:04 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Did not know that, but might have been cool.... But looking at the side of Ashby's head while he played pac-man in the hull may have gotten a little old...

But watching the leach position of the wing foil may have been neat

I was thinking more of the data that they occasionally displayed on each boat's performance...

Jay

Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: waterbug_wpb] #287593
07/05/17 07:49 AM
07/05/17 07:49 AM
Panama City, Florida
Redtwin Offline
addict
Redtwin  Offline
addict

Panama City, Florida

They can use the H2-B program like the tech guys, or the H2-A program for hotel housekeepers? sick

H1B is what they use for tech guys; H2B are the housekeepers; H2A are the agriculture guys. These guys would definitely be H1B unless they also plan on picking artichokes for Larry.

Rob V. Nacra 5.2 Panama City
Re: 35th America's Cup [Re: David Parker] #287675
07/18/17 07:35 PM
07/18/17 07:35 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE 36th AMERICA'S CUP
"the Protocol will contain a "constructed in country" requirement for competing yachts and a nationality requirement for competing crew members."

Philip
USA #1006
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 243 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022