Petten Netherlands
N
northsea junkie Offline OP
addict
northsea junkie  Offline OP
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Bought a new OLED screen and wanted to test this with a new vid from my HD helmet camera.
Camera directly connected gives a super picture, but the result on YouTube is a bit of a disappointment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16apK-P0CE

Moreover Flash doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 + Edge; so I cannot add music nor make the pictures with sofware better.
And why when I upload a quality 1020, get a quality 780 result?

Any suggestions?

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

hey boy, what did you do over there, alone far out at sea?..
"huh....., that's the only place where I'm happy, sir.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: northsea junkie] #287724
08/11/17 03:31 PM
08/11/17 03:31 PM
Memphis, Tennessee
Damon Linkous Offline

enthusiast
Damon Linkous  Offline

enthusiast

Memphis, Tennessee
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Bought a new OLED screen and wanted to test this with a new vid from my HD helmet camera.
Camera directly connected gives a super picture, but the result on YouTube is a bit of a disappointment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16apK-P0CE&feature=em-upload_owner

Moreover Flash doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 + Edge; so I cannot add music nor make the pictures with sofware better.
And why when I upload a quality 1020, get a quality 780 result?

Any suggestions?

Video looks good to me. Watching it at the 720P setting on YouTube. That was some steep uncomfortable looking seas you were in, reminds me of sometimes in bays or the Intercoastal Waterway when the tide is opposed to the wind.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lack of Flash keeping you from editing the YouTube video?

If you could install Chrome Browser on your Windows 10 computer you would definitly have everything you need supported since Chrome and YouTube are both Google products.

Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: Damon Linkous] #287726
08/12/17 12:13 AM
08/12/17 12:13 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
addict
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Thanks for your reply Damon. First I have to admit that I'm a Chrome-hater.
So I try to avoid Google products as much as possible, hence my use of Edge.

For me it was a disappointment that YouTube was sold to Google.
Flash (Adobe) is for a while built in Edge but since the last update vanished again. Hence I cannot use the facilities in YouTube anymore in order to DIY a bit with my vid.
Second, I still don't understand why I cannot get my 1280P vid from my Sanyo camera as 1280P in my computer; it becomes 720P.

Oled screens are very harsh with presenting what you give them. You get so easily used to high quality HD and more.

Youre right about the uncomfortable looking seas on the vid. At my coast they have done a major sandsuppletion in order to safeguard the land behind (we all live here under sea-level). As a result of that there is created a zone before the coast of about 2-3 mile of shallow water.

And that is a pain in the axx, I can tell you. It makes the sailing days for an oldie like me a struggle and sometimes even dangerous.
That looks sturdy but I want to enjoy and not being stressed.

Last edited by northsea junkie; 08/13/17 12:48 AM. Reason: wrong number

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: northsea junkie] #287732
08/14/17 08:31 AM
08/14/17 08:31 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Videos never do wave height justice.

Your video shows the water as choppy, no doubt, and I believe you are on that 4.5 meter cat, right? So it's going to really struggle in bumpy water like that no?

Jay

Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: northsea junkie] #287734
08/14/17 09:11 AM
08/14/17 09:11 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Ah an OLED set........ first technology to beat Plasma. Very nice purchase LG has the jump in this market... The ones that I have seen have pretty good up-converters... from 1080i/720p to native 4K (US broadcast is 1080i as are the cable feeds). So the standard content still looks better on your OLED. However, you really need 4K content or a 4K bluray to see the set perform.

Motion is the challenge for up-converting (It's why you don't see much sports on the sales video loops.... and a lot of what they package in there is in slo mo) Waves/sea state could be a really big challenge....versus the boat with defined edges etc .. It could be the OLED video processor just can't cut it. (its a lot of processing power)

It sounds like your set is defaulting to 720p. take a look in the setup to see if you can force one of the hdmi inputs to always up convert all content to 4K. The alternative would be to find a pre processor that your video card can run to convert your video and do the re scaling and up-converting process to the native 4K your set wants.

Sometimes they have a code in the video stream that toggles the up-conversion on. You would need to preprocess your video or have the set take control.

I envy your problem!!!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: northsea junkie] #287735
08/14/17 10:37 AM
08/14/17 10:37 AM
Petten Netherlands
N
addict
addict
N

Petten Netherlands
Thanks guys for your remarks so far.

Yes, Jay, my cat is 4.5 m and in this way behaves wild on waves, but your remark about lack of wave height justice in the camera is interesting.
I'm already for years frustated that somehow I cannot show on my vid how big these waves are. I know, because I windsurf too and can compare them with my mastlenght, that they reach over 3 meter.

On my way out to the deep sea in the vid, these Heights, climbing with my cat over the lip, are less imposing than in reality.
Only in the second part of the vid when I'm riding on the back of the waves, you can estimate something looking when they break.

Mark, your hints strip off the real facts about showing vids on an Oled screen. So I have to study further for really making everything work in the way I want.

ronald
RAIDER-15 (homebuilt)

Re: Youtube is spoiling my new 55 OLED screen [Re: northsea junkie] #287741
08/14/17 06:52 PM
08/14/17 06:52 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by northsea junkie
Thanks guys for your remarks so far.

Yes, Jay, my cat is 4.5 m and in this way behaves wild on waves, but your remark about lack of wave height justice in the camera is interesting.
I'm already for years frustated that somehow I cannot show on my vid how big these waves are. I know, because I windsurf too and can compare them with my mastlenght, that they reach over 3 meter.

On my way out to the deep sea in the vid, these Heights, climbing with my cat over the lip, are less imposing than in reality.
Only in the second part of the vid when I'm riding on the back of the waves, you can estimate something looking when they break.

Oh absolutely...it's well known in distance racing circles here that cameras really fail to capture the wave heights. They always look to be about 2/3's of what they were in real life.

Jake Kohl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 409 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022