10/17/01 11:17 AM
10/17/01 11:17 AM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Hello, I am Volker. I am a Hobie 14 Sailor from Germany. The last weeks I watched your discussion "DANGER YOUTH CAT". It was interesting.
<br>I want to say something about it.
<br>What I say wouldn't be a guideline for the USA. I think the problems in the US and Germany are too different.
<br>I just can tell you about our expirience. Maybe it can bring you new ideas.
<br>In Germany we don't talk about the WAVE. It is possible to buy this boat in Europe but it's not a class.
<br>The boat which HOBIE CAT EUROPE decleares as the upcomming youth boat is the DRAGOON.
<br>The idea is to train the youth on this boat for the TIGER. Some sailors who do a job in the EUROPEAN HOBIE CLASS ASSOCIATION developed big concepts for youth-catamaran-sailing in Europe.
<br>Maybe in France, Italy and Denmark it would be a sucsess. Because there doesn't exsist a HOBIE 14 class.
<br>In Germany, Belgium and the Netherland I think it is not the right way.
<br>Since 2 years we work very sucsessful with the HOBIE 14. This specially in Germany. And this has reason.
<br>In the most European countrys we don't have good organised class associations. The catamarans just sail yardstick-regattas. When all other sailors sit on the beach to drink a beer just the HOBIE 14 sailor is still on the water. This is no big gain and so nobody wants to sail HOBIE 14.
<br>In Germany, please forgive a little arrogance, we have one of the best organised Sailing-Class-Associations. The DEUTSCHE HOBIE CAT KLASSENVEREINIGUNG.
<br>We always sailed class-regattas the most time. So a HOBIE 14 class could live a long time.
<br>In our rancing-list we have nearly 100 Hobie 14 every year. And the 14 prevailed against the Hobie 17 after some years.
<br>The 14 is still very strong in Germany. So the young sailors have much more fun to be part of this society.
<br>Now HOBIE CAT EUROPE wants to bring 8 Dragoons to Germany. They want to make 8 events in one year where they want to search for the biggest talents.
<br>This big talents get a DRAGOON for 1/2 year. With this boat they should sail 6 regatta in Europe, ...for their own costs!!!
<br>Also they should bring their boats to this regattas. Who forgot that kids don't can drive a car ???
<br>I accept this idea for country where is no 14 class. Because there it could be a first stepstone.
<br>In Germany I am sure that our sucsess was just possible with the 14. Because we had a strong class.
<br>In our class we allways have special prizes for sailors under 18. Also they sail very sucsessfull in the normal regattas. The best kid became No. 10 in Germany for 2001 !!!
<br>The 14-kids are in ages between 12 and 17.
<br>Often we hear that it is to difficult for kids in the age between 11 and 13 to sail a HOBIE 14. Thats wrong. Many of them proved that it is possible. They can sail a Hobie 14 till 4 Bft..
<br>And they learn pure sailing.
<br>Of course one advantage for the DRAGOON is the gennaker. But behind that the 14 shows his advantages.
<br>It's just pure sailing. The 14 is a very sensitive boat. Very easy to handle on the beach and on the water. But also you can have fun, fun, fun. WAVE and DRAGOON (I sailed both boats) feel like monohulls. The 14 is for sure a catamaran.
<br>The problem we have in Europe is just commercial. HOBIE CAT EUROPE wants to earn money. I understand. But they don't look far. They see their new boats and forgot that the 14 could be their "Cash Cow".
<br>I arrive on the beach and after 5 minutes I can sail. Thats the easy way we should show our youngest.
<br>And not just only to them. Hobie 14 is for all ages.
<br>A simple boat with a lot of fun.
<br>You can sail it as a beginner. But also you can sail it demanding.
<br>In my opinion it is a to short time for the youth to sail on DRAGOON and WAVE. And so it is to expensive.
<br>They learn to sail when they are between 6 and 10. The first years they sail a small monohull.
<br>After that they can beginn with catamarans.
<br>I think with 14 - 15 they are to big for a DRAGOON or WAVE.
<br>HOBIE 14 they can sail allways.
<br>They can sail a 14 till the age of 18 - 21.
<br>
<br>This is just a small part of my thoughts.
<br>Please hold the line !!!!!!!
<br>I would be happy to find new sailing-friensds here.
<br>Specially the Hobie 14 sailors should know that we still work on the idea to have HOBIE 14 WORLDS in the future.
<br>Maybe in Europe 2003 or 2004.
<br>
<br>I will be in this forum again.
<br>
<br>Kindest regard to all.
<br>
<br>HAVE A HOBIE DAY
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
3164- (23 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Question for Volker- [Re: sail-s] #3131
10/17/01 12:04 PM
10/17/01 12:04 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
Volker-
<br>Very nice post! Thank you for being brave enough to post and let all us "grown-up" cat sailors know how the youth feel about some of these issues. In the US we also have some of these same problems with some of the various boat companies "directing" people away from some of their older boat offerrings toward the "newer" ones. In the US one can not even purchase a Hobie 14 anymore, they are out of production as far as I know. Since one cannot buy a new Hobie 14 the people who build/sell Hobies here naturally try to "push" the boats they do sell (such as the Wave, etc.) Is it still possible to purchase a new Hobie 14 in Europe? If so, it seems Hobie would want to keep these fleets strong and growing, where they are growing, and where they are not, or shrinking even, to try to introduce a "new" boat.
<br>I also have a Hobie 14, a "turbo" (= with jib in the US), which I got for my teenage sons and they have enjoyed for the reasons you list. I would add that it is also tough and "looks like" a bigger boat, the Hobie 16 and so is appealling to kids on that aspect as well.
<br>You do have to realize that, unfortunately, "Money makes the world go around" (and companies stay in business) so successful companies often make decisions which may not be popular everywhere (and sometimes even turn out to be bad). However, to convince a company to change it's policies or directions you need to appeal to this issue. How much money does Hobie Europe make off the 14 sailors every year? What happens to these sailors? Will the introduction of Dragoons to certain areas actually HURT their sales/reputation in that area and drive sailors AWAY from their products (this last can be very powerful- What Hobie ideally wants is youth sailors LIKE YOU! That love Hobies and will NEVER, in their entire sailing career, ever buy anything BUT a Hobie! If you can convince them (via a signed petition by all/most of the youth sailors in your particular areas?) that this "action" on their part will cause irrepairable harm to their (potential at least) customer relations they WILL rethink it. It would also be useful if you could give them some options for your area. Applaud them for the fact they are TRYING to support youth sailing and then suggest how the youth sailors in your area would like to see that support offerred.
<br>
<br>Just some thoughts-
<br>Best of luck!
<br>
<br>Kirt Simmons<br><br>Kirt Simmons
<br>Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48

Attached Files
3167- (22 downloads)

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Re: Question for Volker- [Re: Kirt] #3132
10/18/01 01:59 PM
10/18/01 01:59 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

H14's are sold through Hobie Europe, Hobie South Africa, Hobie Australia, and Hobie Brazil.
<br>
<br>You can get a new H14 in the US but due to shipping and import duties a new H14 will cost $6,800.00<br><br>

Attached Files
3197- (19 downloads)
Re: Question for Volker- [Re: sail-s] #3133
10/18/01 04:58 PM
10/18/01 04:58 PM
S
sail-s Offline OP
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Sorry wrong price:
<br>
<br>The price for a new H14 to be imported to the US is $6100.00. Little more expensive due to the import duties and shipping form either Hobie Europe or Brazil.<br><br>

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022