06/30/01 09:49 PM
06/30/01 09:49 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi, I just had my first catamaran sailing experience on a Hobie wave in Virginia Beach/Norfolk. I had so much fun, it is so cool! I am now hooked and I want some help to pick my first boat. I am considering the hobie wave, used inter 17 and used nacra 5.2. Can anyone please give me any advice or comments on these boats. I will be single handling these boats and sometimes will take my friends out. Max 4 people. I would also like to meet some other cat sailors in Virginia Beach, near chicks beach to talk to and maybe get some sailing lessons from. Thanks for any help or advice.
<br>
<br>Steve<br><br>

Attached Files
408- (32 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Help to choose new boat? #407
07/01/01 03:34 AM
07/01/01 03:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

First a BIG WELCOME to the fold! No matter what Cat you pick you'll have a lot of fun. Second, don't limit your choices! Ask for a test ride on all of them, then go to a race or two and get a few more rides on other boats. All the boats you mentioned are on the smaller side except for maybe the Inter 17 and unless you have munchkins as buddies four people might be to much for all of them. The Wave is a very slow Cat and the 5.2 depending on the year maybe a nice boat. The early 5.2's have a center tube on the tramp and it can take it's toll on your knees after only a short time. I like the Inter 17's and they should be the best single handed boat of the three you mentioned. If you have any dillusions of flying a hull with four people on any of these boats see a shrink. Even 20 foot catamarans find 4 people a very big load for fast sailing. Test a lot of boats before you decide. <br><br>

Attached Files
410- (41 downloads)
Re: Help to choose new boat? #408
07/01/01 08:07 AM
07/01/01 08:07 AM
Long Island, NY
Ed Norris Offline
enthusiast
Ed Norris  Offline
enthusiast

Long Island, NY
Hi!
<br>First, I want to Second everything Announcer said (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)
<br>Second, my hearty welcome, too. Cat sailors are a big part of what's real cool about cat sailing - you're in for a whole new crowd of nice folks.
<br>Third, don't be surprised if some of these really nice people have some, .... er... strong opinions about which brand/model of boat is the "best" for you, or indeed for anyone. [Linked Image]
<br>They mean well, and any comparisons must be viewed in the context that anyone on this board would probably rather be sailing almost any model of cat than doing almost anything else. [Linked Image]
<br>Third, if all you've done so far is sail a Wave, (which is a nice, dependable, unintimidating, user friendly boat, by the way) you're in for a heckova treat when you go for a blast on a more agressive style of cat.
<br>I'm not going to tell you what brand of cat I sail, but it is my second boat, and cost like 4 times what I spent on my first boat. Both are/were fun, fast, dependable, exciting etc.; I"m just a better fit to this new cat.
<br>What I infer from this is: Buy a cheap used 16 ft/5.0 meter sized boat. You can sail it, learn what your style is, then sell it for about what you paid for it. Sometimes more. While you're sailing your boat, have guest skippers, and go crew for them on their boats. In the fall, when boats become less expen$ive, upgrade to the boat of your choice.
<br>
<br>Sail Fast
<br>Ed Norris<br><br>

Attached Files
411- (32 downloads)

Sail Fast, Ed Norris
Re: Help to choose new boat? #409
07/01/01 04:07 PM
07/01/01 04:07 PM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
I also agree with everything said above. My further reccomendations:
<br>Hobie Wave - probably too small 4 U - easily outgrown for adults
<br>Hobie Getaway - A good, although slightly slower cat than a H16. If your not into racing this might be a good fit.
<br>TheMightyHobie18 Good all round boat - fast, can race competively or just cruise. Wings are a plus. Need extra safety equip for solo sailing - righting bag, righting pole, mast Bob. Very durable boat.
<br>Inters - great race quality thoroughbred boats. May be more than you want to start out with. It's lighter weight may come at a cost of durability, depending on how and where you sail.
<br>Of course check out the Nacra's Mysteres, Prindles, and G-Cats. There's a pretty good buyer's guide at http://www.sailingproshop.com
<br>Be sure and check it out.
<br>Also, check out murrays for online parts & accessories
<br>
<br>Lance
<br>Hobie 18 Magnum
<br>St. Petersburg FL<br><br>

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Help to choose new boat? [Re: Lance] #410
07/02/01 12:17 PM
07/02/01 12:17 PM
Flagstaff, Arizona
Dennis Offline
journeyman
Dennis  Offline
journeyman

Flagstaff, Arizona
Welcome to the urge! I have not sailed any of the boats you have mentioned. I've had Hobie 16s and a 14, and now I have a Prindle 19. There is an excellent buyer's guide at http://www.justsail.com/Catamaran.htm.
<br>It's interesting reading just to see all the different options out there. Depending on your abilities, The Inter 17 could be a good choice. It's supposed to have enough flotation for 4 people, plus it's designed to sail with just one person. However, something you should consider is how much time you have and how frustrated you get setting up and taking down your boat. It takes me more than 1 hour to set up my boat, and sometimes 2 hours before I'm on the water. Then it takes me another hour or 2 to break down the boat and campsite and drive home. Sometimes it's barely worth it on a 2 day weekend. My friend with a Wave has his boat on the water twice as much as I do because he can set up in 20 minutes and sail by himself while I'm still stepping my mast...
<br>See if the owners of the boats you're considering will take you out, including the set up and put away.
<br>Whatever, welcome and enjoy.<br><br>

Re: Help to choose new boat? #411
07/02/01 01:26 PM
07/02/01 01:26 PM
Michigan, USA
sparky Offline
enthusiast
sparky  Offline
enthusiast

Michigan, USA
Hi Steve,
<br> I agree with most of what has already been said in response to your note. I am coming from the perspective of 24 years of catamaran sailing and a current owner of an Inter 17R. I LOVE my Inter 17R and cannot imagine going back to a catamaran that does not use a spinnaker! I race and have arrived at the I 17R by way of Hobie 16 (my wife used to sail with me), 18 Sq. Meter (when my wife decided she didn't like racing), Nacra 5.5 Uni (when I got tired of taking the platform apart and putting it together for every sailing weekend) and the Inter 17R. Both the I-17R and N5.5Uni have the flotation to carry 4 people. The price is speed. The less weight you carry, the faster the boat goes. The Inter 17R takes a little longer to assemble and take apart because of the spinnaker. I don't resent this because the reward is so great!
<br> Decide what you want to do with the boat (recreation, racing, lawn art, etc.) and then discuss the choices with people who are doing what you want to do. The range of choices may be larger (or smaller) than you think. If you decide on the Inter 17, I think you will be pleased. It sails beautifully!<br><br>Les Gallagher
<br>Inter 17R USA 104
<br>"little yellow boat"

Les Gallagher
I couldn't agree more... [Re: sparky] #412
07/02/01 02:59 PM
07/02/01 02:59 PM
San Diego, CA
whitecaps Offline
whitecaps  Offline

San Diego, CA
Having sailed most Hobies and Prindles in the past, I have to say that the I20 I've owned with my boat partner for the past year has, without a doubt, been the nicest and most fun boat I've sailed. I sailed the I17R once and it was very comparable to the I20 in handling & performance.<br><br>My previous boat was a Prindle 19 which I had owned for several years and liked a lot. However, after sailing on friends I20's, going back to my P19 felt like driving a truck in comparison. So, I will give you the same suggestion I always give to others: Go for a test-sail on an Inter and you'll be convinced. <br><br>Sail fast and have fun,<br>Alan Thompson<br>I20 - San Diego<br><br>

Attached Files
430- (32 downloads)
Re: Help to choose new boat? [Re: sparky] #413
07/05/01 11:05 AM
07/05/01 11:05 AM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Les:
<br>I've graduated from a Hobie 16 to a Hobie 17 Sport within 6 months. I love the H-17, wings give it extreme control in high winds, & I can fly a hull in about 4 knots sitting on the leeward wing . I mostly singlehand, but when friends are onboard, my 17 is just a bit too slow due to the low-volume hulls. Had plans to graduate to a Nacra 5.5sl or a 5.5U with a RF in the spring, mainly for the higher crew weight capababilities. I was looking for a boat I could race either as a singlehanded boat or take my daughter along as crew, figured I could just take the jib up or down on the 5.5's and voila, new boat class. How does the Inter 17 compare to the 5.5 Series?
<br>Zuhl@earthlink.net<br><br>Hobie 17
<br>"MISTER LUCKY"

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Help to choose new boat? [Re: Cary Palmer] #414
07/05/01 12:23 PM
07/05/01 12:23 PM
Michigan, USA
sparky Offline
enthusiast
sparky  Offline
enthusiast

Michigan, USA
Mister Lucky,
<br>I will tell you that the idea of having the Nacra 5.5 to do both is a great idea because it it a great race boat either way. There is a different mast for the sloop than the Uni and I have not seen anyone put the Uni mast together with the rest of the sloop (foiler and forestay, large jib and running rigging). I think this would be a great boat, however, the stock N 5.5 Sloop has a shorter mast and smaller mainsail than the Uni. There were a couple of people who raced the boat both ways. One had both rigs (competitive), and the other raced Uni with the smaller mainsail and shorter mast (considerably slower in the races). Since there are not many Nacra 5.5 Sloops racing in one design fleets, I would probably use the Uni mast and sail, add the foiler and jib from the Sloop and race that way when I wanted to race with crew, taking the correction in the Portsmouth tables for a larger mainsail. The Uni is a great boat to race as is.
<br>
<br>Comparing the 5.5 and the I-17R, I have only sailed and raced these single handed. I love both boats. I could not go back to the 5.5 after sailing with a spinnaker, however, because the spinnaker adds so much speed and excitement to the downwind legs! Flying a hull all the way upwind and then turning the corner, setting the spinnaker and flying a hull all the way downwind is just so much more fun! The handling and feel of the Inter is vastly superior to any other catamaran I have sailed (Hobie 16, 17, 18, Nacra 5.5 Uni, Nacra 18 Square), and I wouldn't want to give that up for anything. The layout of the Inter is better, with nothing on the trampoline except the added lines for the spinnaker.
<br>
<br>All single-handed boats are lots slower when you add another person without adding more sail area. There is no option for adding a jib to the Inter 17, therefore, the loss in speed you get on the H17 would also happen on the I-17 and the N 5.5 Uni. The Nacra 5.5 offers the option of rigging for one person or two and probably would offer the better solution for your situation. I don't think the hull flotation would be a problem for either the Inter or the N5.5. <br><br>Les Gallagher
<br>Inter 17R USA 104
<br>"little yellow boat"

Les Gallagher

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022