01/15/05 11:29 AM
01/15/05 11:29 AM
Troy, MI
jmrabs Offline OP
stranger
jmrabs  Offline OP
stranger

Troy, MI
After a very successful show last year, read about it at http://www.fleet276.com/In%20the%20News/diary_of_a_sail_show.htm , Hobie Division 10 will be doubling their space at this years show! Without a doubt, we were the talk of the show...our booth consistently filled with sailors drooling over "Tigerboy's" Hobie Tiger. This year, we will add the classic 16 in our additional booth space.

With cat sailing movies on the big screen, music pumping from the speakers, and dozens of Midwest sailors talking up the sport and stressing fleet participation, we intend to make our mark again! Once again, the Division 10 meeting will be held on Saturday night at Bob Chinn's Chicago Crabhouse.

I encourage all cat sailors in the area to stop by our booth and say hello. I also encourage all other catamaran clubs who are within a drive to a regional version of this Strictly Sail Show to make the effort to be there. It really pays off. It's nothing but a exhibition center full of sailboats and sailors...no powerboats!!!

The show is scheduled for February 3 -6 at Navy Pier. More information is available at www.sailamerica.com and www.hcadivision10.com

See you there!

Jeff

Division 10 Chairman Hobie Class Association Hobie Fleet 276 Southeast Michigan
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: jmrabs] #42912
01/15/05 12:31 PM
01/15/05 12:31 PM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
We had our show in St. Petersburg a few months ago. As usual I was dissapointed by the lack of self promotion of the dealers. The local Hobie dealer only had kayaks and a Bravo. When asked that why they never have any of the new boats, like the Tiger they told me that no one buys them and it's too expensive for them to do. I asked them how they expect someone to spend that kind of money if they can't even see the boat. They didn't have an answer for that one. Nacra had a 5.5 there but not rigged up or anyone around to answer any questions. That was about it for the beachcats. And Florida is probably the top market for beachcats in the whole USA! I never realized that sailing groups were allowed to put up a display until reading the above post. Next year I'd like to set a booth up maybe with the Tampa Bay Catsailors group or Gulfport Yacht Club (hopefully both). Bring some boats out, rig them, have people there to answer questions, and show some videos (Sharing the Wind, and some good Spinnaker footage) so they can see how exciting and fun cat sailing is, not just a "whole bunch of work" like most people assume. People need to be informed how easy it is to get into sailing. That they can buy a H16 for under a $1000.00 and can learn the basics in an afternoon. They need to know know that there is a great group of people already sailing that is willing to help them and want them to join in. One of my New Year's resolutions is to become more involved in sailing this year and that also includes the not-so-fun stuff like policing the beach, and acting like a used car sailsman to get people out to the beach and on a cat.

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: Lance] #42913
01/15/05 01:04 PM
01/15/05 01:04 PM
Bob_Curry Offline
old hand
Bob_Curry  Offline
old hand

THE DEALERS USUALLY DON'T GET THEIR MONEY'S WORTH FROM THESE SHOWS, especially in the Tampa area. Check into the costs of renting the space and the insurance, electric, gas hauling a few boats around town, etc. If you are outside, the weather(cold, rain) may put a real hamper on your message. When I was working for a Tampa Hobie dealer, we stopped going because of these costs and that was over 20 years ago! Some other areas of the country will be obviously be different.

Just a "reality" spin,

Bob Curry

"The election is over, the talking is done, Your party lost, my party won. So let us be friends, let arguments pass, I’ll hug my elephant, you kiss you’re a $$.”
Liberalism = A brain eating amoeba & a failed political ideology of the 20th century!
Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: Bob_Curry] #42914
01/15/05 03:24 PM
01/15/05 03:24 PM
Cape May, NJ
DrySailor Offline
stranger
DrySailor  Offline
stranger

Cape May, NJ
I am headed to the Philidelphia Strictly Sail show next weekend, does anyone know if any beach cat reps will be there?

Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: DrySailor] #42915
01/15/05 03:42 PM
01/15/05 03:42 PM
Troy, MI
jmrabs Offline OP
stranger
jmrabs  Offline OP
stranger

Troy, MI
As you guys have pointed out, there is some resistance from the dealers to showing boats. Last year, the Chicago area dealer brought a Hobie Getaway. That is the product they felt they were most likely going to see interest/sales in. Well, we brought the Tiger...the boat that drew the crowd. Hobie sailors from the past couldn't believe that the Tiger was a Hobie. "This is not your father's Hobie!"

As a not-for-profit organization, we are able to obtain booth space at a significantly reduced rate. Since we are promoting fleet sailing, and not "selling" a product, it allows us to be there. With our space just yards away from the dealer, we can say that we sold some boats for him last year. Boats he may not have sold without us there.

You can bang your head against the wall all day. Dealers have made their choices for these boat shows based on past history...including the amount of effort they want to put into them. There were no other legitimate cats to be seen at the show last year. Mostly day sailors and larger.

If it weren't such a great time to just get together with sailors in the area, and share the excitement of cat sailing with people that walk up, we wouldn't all take time off work, or give up our weekends to do it. It is truly a lot of fun.

Jeff

Division 10 Chairman Hobie Class Association Hobie Fleet 276 Southeast Michigan
Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: jmrabs] #42916
01/15/05 07:02 PM
01/15/05 07:02 PM
Chicago, IL
Krisu13 Offline
journeyman
Krisu13  Offline
journeyman

Chicago, IL
Jeff,

I just want to say we need more people like you in Chicago.

It is a shame that here in Chicago there is no catamaran sailing club. Last year I bought N6.0 and I was looking for some people that I could sail with. I found them in Wisconsin CRAW and Michigan CRAM. I have to say very friendly people, they invited me to each racing event and gave me some helpful tips how to rig my boat however, I do not want to drive 3 to 4 hours one way just to sail for a few hours.

There are some areas near Chicago like Evanston and Wilmette where people keep their catamarans on the beach. When I called the park district I was told that I have to live in Evanston or Wilmette to be able to store my boat on the beach or sign up for 2 years waiting list for non-residents. Also I was told that storage costs $600 per season but it will go up by the time I get my spot.

How encouraging is that???

I’m sure that if there was catamaran sailing club it would get quite a few member and maybe possible cat owners.

Jeff - I will definitely see you at the Chicago Strictly Sail show. Maybe you will be able to point me out in good direction for cat sailing.

I’m not the cry baby I just had to let it go.

See you at Chicago Strictly Sailing show.

Kris U

I20
Re: Catamarans, HCA Division 10, and Strictly Sail [Re: Krisu13] #42917
01/17/05 11:09 AM
01/17/05 11:09 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
I don't know if they still do it, but at the Miami Boat Show they would give free space to any sailboat class.., non commercial. That is the same org. that does the Strictly Sail in Chicago, Philly, et al. You might want to check it out.

I remember that CABB used to put a boat at the show and several of the members shared time at the display.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 612 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022